woiyo

Thu 5 May, 2016 10:47 am
@snood,
Is it racism to say "We need to control immigration?"
Is it racist to say "We need to suspend immigration temporarily for a religious or ethnic group until we can control the flow?"

Really, that is what you folks think racism is? So sad
edgarblythe

Thu 5 May, 2016 11:03 am
I had forgotten that this thread started in 2010. It's become a talisman, moving Trump along like a self fulfilling prophecy. Hope the bubble bursts soon.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 5 May, 2016 11:52 am
@snood,
That's what we call the right wing broadsheet The Telegraph. It's owned by a couple of billionaire non doms who want us to leave the EU so they and their City mates can make a fortune while the rest of the country goes down the toilet.

It's called the Torygraph because it's only read by Tories.

And even it thinks Trump, (or in other words Fart,) too much.
0 Replies

engineer

Thu 5 May, 2016 12:12 pm
@woiyo,
It is definitely religious bigotry to say we should ban travelers to this country based on their religion (which is what Trump proposed and is not related to immigration). It is racist if you assume people of a certain skin color are a certain religion. I can't imagine how Trump would know to ban white Muslims or allow brown Christians through, but I'm sure he had a plan. Rolling Eyes
BillRM

Thu 5 May, 2016 12:40 pm
@engineer,
So by that thinking President Roosevelt was a racist?

In any case, you have a known small group of mass killers that are also part of a larger innocent group so it is racist to limit the innocent member of this group freedoms of movement in and out of the country for a time to hopefully block the abilities of the killers to repeat killing thousands of more Americans?

Frankly I think that the policy will not work and will cause more harm then good but trying such a policy is not a racist thing to do in itself.

God help us but President Trump would be wrong but n0t a racist as it was not Mormons or Scientologists or Jews or Christians or Buddhas or.....whatever as the risk is and was coming from members of the Muslim religion.

By the way the Muslims terrorists are able to screen Muslims out of a group of hostages before killing the hostages by asking religion questions so I would assume that our people could do similar screening as well.

engineer

Thu 5 May, 2016 12:57 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

So by that thinking President Roosevelt was a racist?

If you are referring to the Japanese concentration camps, absolutely.
Quote:
By the way the Muslims terrorists are able to screen Muslims out of a group of hostages before killing the hostages by asking religion questions so I would assume that our people could do similar screening as well.

So you are saying our border agents will ask every traveler to state their religion and the terrorists will promptly say "Muslim" so we can weed them out?
ehBeth

Thu 5 May, 2016 01:58 pm
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/king-support-donald-trump-bigot-article-1.2626069

Quote:
If you support Donald Trump, after all the racist things he has said, then you are a bigot as well

Quote:
(Click the article for 20 different links & sources.)

On Thursday morning, the director Rob Reiner appeared on MSNBC's “Morning Joe” and was asked to explain how in the world Donald Trump became the presumptive Republican nominee for President of the United States.

Reiner, straight out of the gate, didn't mince words.

"There are a lot of people who are racist," Reiner declared.

Instantly the co-hosts, Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski, were incredulous. They interjected, moaned and challenged Reiner, all but calling him a complete idiot for saying such a thing.

Reiner was serious and so were they. That's what's frightening. Three different people who have witnessed and studied Trump's disturbing ascendancy can come away with wildly different conclusions about it.

First off, we have to be honest about Mika and Joe's love for Donald Trump. They are his friends. Voicemails obtained between the three of them show their amazingly cozy relationship. Just a few months ago, a hot mic recorded Brzezinski, who was sitting with Trump, praising him and prepping him for some real softballs that she was about to throw his way. Donald loved it.
Beyond that, their exchange with Reiner revealed something much more disturbing — people who have not been the direct target of Donald's offensive bigotry seem to be fully prepared to give him and his fervent supporters a pass.

The Imperial Wizard for the KKK loves Donald Trump.

Former KKK leader David Duke has fawned over Trump for months and was recently recorded saying, he was proud of Trump for frightening wealthy "Jewish extremists" and the "Jewish supremacists who control our country."

Neo-Nazis are volunteering in his campaign offices.

Well-known white supremacists are attending his campaign rallies and assaulting people of color.

Don White, the founder of Stormfront, the leading white supremacist website in the world, openly credits Donald Trump for bringing swarms of new traffic to their platform and to white supremacy in general.

White supporters at a Las Vegas Trump rally, while assaulting a peaceful black protester, declared they wanted to "light that motherf----r on fire," which actually happened often to lynching victims during Jim Crow.

Another white Trump supporter openly spit right in the face of a peaceful Latino protester at a Trump rally.

Yet another white Trump supporter openly assaulted a peaceful black protester with a brutal elbow to his face. In the days that followed, Trump suggested he'd cover the legal fees of his supporter.

Another white Trump supporter, walking out of a rally, told a demonstrator to "Go to Auschwitz. Go to f---ing Auschwitz," while making a Nazi salute. Auschwitz, of course, was a horrendous Nazi death camp.

Another white Trump supporter said at a rally that he hoped Donald would have a policy paying people "$50 for every confirmed kill" along the American border.

White supporters at another rally said to a Latino protester, "clean my hotel room, b---h."

I could go on and on and on.

These weren't isolated incidents. They weren't all at one location or rally. They were everywhere.

Those things aren't happening at rallies for Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton because people who feel like that aren't going to those events. Racist, xenophobic bigots feel at home with Donald Trump because he made them feel welcome.

Donald Trump was one of the most vocal in the birther movement against President Obama. That's racist.

Donald Trump started his campaign off by framing Latinos as criminals and rapists. That's bigoted.

Donald Trump announced a deportation plan to "round up" every undocumented American and drop them off in Mexico in two years. That's over 400,000 people a month and resembles Nazi Germany. That's bigoted.

Donald Trump said he would ban all Muslims from entering the United States. That's xenophobic and bigoted.

Donald Trump tweeted a fake meme created by a white supremacist with fake crime stats about African-Americans. That's racist.

Fortune Magazine did a deep and disturbing dive on how far Trump's online connections to white supremacists go.

If you support Donald Trump, after all he has said and done to offend virtually every ethnic group in America, after he has been blatantly gross and bigoted and inhumane, then you are a bigot as well.

His bigotry isn't a secret. It's been widely publicized here and in virtually every mainstream media outlet in this country. To support him with a vote is to condone what he has already said and done.

Conservatives had other choices.

The current governors of Wisconsin, New Jersey and Ohio were running.
The former governors of Texas and Florida were running.
Current senators from Kentucky, South Carolina, Florida and Texas were running.
A doctor and a former tech CEO were running.

Republican primary voters, though, chose Trump. Denying why they chose him isn't just insincere, it's a lie. The Republican Party has now become a front for white nationalism and Donald Trump is its leader.
ossobuco

Thu 5 May, 2016 02:14 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm not clear, did Reiner say all that? I didn't see a final quotation mark, maybe I missed it.

A friend/colleague was neighbor pals with that family when he was growing up, but I've liked Rob Reiner on my own. My friend was smart and funny himself, part of why we were friends, good man, hope he is still kicking.

edit - I reread, it was Shaun King speaking.
cicerone imposter

Thu 5 May, 2016 03:25 pm
@ehBeth,
What does "running" mean?

Quote:
Conservatives had other choices.
The current governors of Wisconsin, New Jersey and Ohio were running.
The former governors of Texas and Florida were running.
Current senators from Kentucky, South Carolina, Florida and Texas were running.
A doctor and a former tech CEO were running.
ehBeth

Thu 5 May, 2016 03:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
did you follow the link ?

__

in any case, what you've quoted are descriptions of the other candidates for the Republican presidential nomination

did you forget about them already?

Confused
cicerone imposter

Thu 5 May, 2016 03:29 pm
@ehBeth,
My memory is short to nonexistent. It wasn't always this way, but I think age is catching up to me - at 80.
0 Replies

Builder

Thu 5 May, 2016 03:55 pm
Our (unelected) prime minister was asked yesterday if he would have any problems talking with Trump, should he gain the presidency.

Quote:
Asked about that global concern Turnbull said: “I have absolutely no doubt the Anzus alliance – the Australian-American relationship – will continue to grow and strengthen regardless of who the president is.

“Our relationship with the US is so deep, it’s based on thousands if not millions of individual relationships, it’s been built up over generations.

“Presidents and prime ministers can adjust it a bit but really it’s a deep and strong relationship, and I have no doubt regardless of who the American people choose we will always have a very very strong friend and ally in Washington.”

Quite a few other angles were discussed if you want to read the article here.

Many Aussies, like many Americans, are doing a lot of head-shaking. We have an election approaching here, as well, so alliances like the above will come into play here in Australia.
0 Replies

BillRM

Thu 5 May, 2016 04:23 pm
@engineer,
The paperwork/questioning should be done long before they reach our borders for the most part.
Builder

Thu 5 May, 2016 05:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Here's the video from facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/MorningJoe/videos/10154158022348762/
0 Replies

engineer

Thu 5 May, 2016 07:33 pm
@BillRM,
How do you do that for tourists? Are you going to ask for religion on business visas? What about Canadian Muslims? They don't even need a passport.
engineer

Thu 5 May, 2016 07:39 pm
Paul Ryan refuses to endorse Trump "yet".

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/us/politics/paul-ryan-donald-trump.html?_r=0
ehBeth

Thu 5 May, 2016 07:41 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
What about Canadian Muslims? They don't even need a passport.

Canadians need passports at the US border (to get back into Canada at least) but religion isn't id'd anywhere. Drive to the border, flash the passport, drive in.
0 Replies

roger

Thu 5 May, 2016 08:06 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Don't make no sense to me either, but if it did, I would likely be against it.

It almost sounds like a rhetorical question deserves an answer that can't be taken as an answer.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Thu 5 May, 2016 08:09 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
It is definitely religious bigotry to say we should ban travelers to this country based on their religion (which is what Trump proposed and is not related to immigration). It is racist if you assume people of a certain skin color are a certain religion. I can't imagine how Trump would know to ban white Muslims or allow brown Christians through, but I'm sure he had a plan. Rolling Eyes

You are now putting words in his mouth and then blaming him for them. He never said anything about restricting travel based on race, any more than Clinton or Sanders did. What he said was to restrict entry by Muslims until the vetting process could be improved, because of their disproportionate representation in recent acts of terror. It's dishonest to blame a person for things he didn't say. I'm not agreeing with that policy, by the way, but the minimum prerequisite for informed debate is to be able to state your opponent's position correctly.
cicerone imposter

Thu 5 May, 2016 08:25 pm
@engineer,
Yet? If he can't decide such a simple issue, he's not fit to be in government.
0 Replies