Builder

Mon 25 Apr, 2016 07:38 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
I want my friends back. Politics has gotten too dang mean.

In an oligarchy, all of this posturing serves one purpose; to divide the people, and set them against eachother.

Looks to be working a treat.
0 Replies

Builder

Mon 25 Apr, 2016 09:01 pm
Interesting explanation of how the democrat "super-delegates" system actually operates.

bobsal u1553115

Mon 25 Apr, 2016 09:38 pm
@Builder,
Pretty much what I thought. Its an end run around the voters by the DNC.
Builder

Mon 25 Apr, 2016 09:49 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Its an end run around the voters by the DNC.

Subversion of the democratic process by the democrats.

Kind of ironic, really.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:50 am
@Builder,
As into politics as I've been, I always thought the different types of primaries were a quaint way of effectively allowing the hoi paloi like me help shape the party and select the most issue responsive candidate even it wasn't my particular choice. Now at 65 I learn it was part of the back scene manipulation to get us to back whoever it is the DNC is pushing, part of rolling out the preordained model ... er .. anointed one.

Out of the gate regardless who takes the nomination - the preordained or the people's choice, we need to reform the primary system as well as modifying the general election to allow for an effective third party option. A two party system turns a third party candidate into a protest vote, the equivalent of "none of the above".

Independents out number the Dems and the GOP put together. Why has there never been a successful challange?
woiyo

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 07:02 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Aside from Perot, who has had the bankroll to go against the established parties?

I wish there was a viable 3rd party choice.

If Bloomberg had entered earlier, do you think he would be able to become a serious candidate?
cicerone imposter

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 11:15 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Good question, because I'm an Independent. How come we're not winning?
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 11:26 am
@woiyo,
No, I don't think Bloomberg could have competed in the Republican race. There is not a lot of room between Bloomberg and Bush. Trump is winning by appealing to a different demographic. This article from Fivethirtyeight.com is interesting. It divides the counties of the states that voted based on wealth and overall political affiliation. The only place Trump loses is in rich, Republican leaning districts. That is where Bloomberg would likely be strong. In the other districts where Trump reigns, I think Bloomberg wouldn't have had much traction. The Kasich or Rubio voters might go his way, but the Cruz and Trump voters would be unmoved.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 11:32 am
This is from an article called The Myth Of the Independent Voter. It pretty much says that all that noise about Independents outnumbering Dems and Repubs put together is balderdash.

http://republic3-0.com/myth-independent-voter-stefan-hankin/

The party affiliation results in our national poll are fairly consistent with results from a recent Pew survey and other public polls. We found that 26 percent of voters identified themselves as Republican, 36 percent as Democrat, and 36 percent as Independent.

If we eliminate the voters who say they are Independent but lean towards one party, what’s left are just 20 percent of voters who say they do not lean in one direction or another. A third (33%) of voters either identify with the Republican Party or lean in that direction, and 45 percent identify or lean towards the Democratic party.

http://i2.wp.com/republic3-0.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/partyID.png?resize=436%2C349
cicerone imposter

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 11:36 am
@snood,
Quote:
36 percent as Independent.

Sure doesn't feel that way! However, I'm more fiscal conservative than liberal.
0 Replies

Builder

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:10 pm
@snood,
The poll is from October 2014 of just 1,000 "likely voters" nationwide.

Hardly what I would consider to be an adequite number, and there's no mention of how these people were picked for the survey.

And taking into consideration the current political stance of the repub front-runner, I'd be looking to more recent polls, over a much larger and varied demographic.

A more recent article by the same author as the poll, is more realistic about the whole picture, politically. Here's the concluding paragraph of an interesting article on the premise of Sanders actually succeeding politically.
Quote:

Bernie Sanders’ “revolution” is great short-term politics, that even had it been successful would have set him up for long-term failure when he was unable to deliver on his promises. In a lot other countries, a Bernie Sanders-type candidate could ride a wave of political support and remake the country in a single cycle. However, the design of America’s political institutions simply doesn’t allow short-term bursts of political activity to overwhelm the system. Instead, if Democrats want to continue to push the country in a more progressive direction, the Democratic Party will have to maintain a sustained focus on all elections; Senate, House, state and local, not just the presidency. It’s not quite as catchy a slogan, but it actually has a chance to produce lasting results.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 10:54 pm
@woiyo,
Maybe. Two self financing a GOP campaign at the same time, though?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 10:57 pm
@snood,
What about small case, non-affiliated with the Independent Party independents?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 11:41 pm
NY judge: Trump University case will to go to trial
Source: The Hill

A judge in New York ruled Tuesday that a case against Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump will go to trial, Fox News reported.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman is accusing Trump of fraud over the now-defunct Trump University, alleging that the school was unlicensed and falsely promised students they would be taught by real estate experts who were selected by the business mogul.

The ruling opens up the possibility Trump could testify while the campaign is ongoing.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/277717-ny-judge-rules-that-trump-university-case-to-go-to-trial
Builder

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 11:55 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
So both of the frontrunners from the two majors are under investigation for fraud?

And people wonder why so many don't bother with elections.
snood

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 03:17 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

So both of the frontrunners from the two majors are under investigation for fraud?

And people wonder why so many don't bother with elections.

What fraud investigation is Hillary under?
Builder

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 03:24 am
@snood,
Quote:

Pick one. There's a few to choose from.

snood

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 03:50 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:

Pick one. There's a few to choose from.

You're reaching, buddy. Fraud is a definitive legal term. Sling it against the wall all you like, it doesn't apply to any"investigation" going on today related to Hillary.
Builder

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 04:05 am
@snood,
Quote:
Fraud is a definitive legal term.

That it is. Hillary's history is loaded with close calls "legally" speaking.

Money talks, and there's plenty of money coming in.
snood

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 07:04 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:
Fraud is a definitive legal term.

That it is. Hillary's history is loaded with close calls "legally" speaking.

Money talks, and there's plenty of money coming in.

Whatever! You said she is being investigated for fraud. She is not.