glitterbag

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 02:09 pm
The election is 7 months off and I'm sick of the hoo ha. By the time we have an election, people will either be furiously angry or won't care. It doesn't bode well for us and I'm not sure how everything went to hell in a hand cart.
Builder

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 08:39 pm
@glitterbag,
The corporate takeover didn't happen last week. Serious doubts were raised about the legitimacy of Bush2's election results, but nothing was done about it.

The Princeton U study (covering over two decades of gov decisions) clearly makes the case that elections are window-dressing, and that the US is an oligarchy, and has been for seven election cycles, at the least.
0 Replies

Builder

Wed 6 Apr, 2016 12:18 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
We're middle class, and we don't feel shafted by our government. Many countries pay much higher taxes.

Historically, the boom time for the United States of America was during the period of high taxes. I recall comedian Bob Hope saying that it was hardly worth him working, because most of his money went to the IRS.

The start of the decline, particularly for the middle class, was when Ronald Reagan embraced Milton Friedman's (now lambasted) free-market system of capitalism, and coined the term "trickle-down economics", which of course never happened.

It just ended the middle-class, and enslaved the working class. Tax cuts to the wealthy, handouts to corporate political donors, and slashing services and social programs to the poor.

It's not like you can't research all of this.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 6 Apr, 2016 07:08 am
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/AnderN/2016/AnderN20160406_low.jpg
cicerone imposter

Wed 6 Apr, 2016 11:10 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Wrong side of the body; Trump's head is over-sized with ME, ME, ME.....
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 06:01 am
0 Replies

Builder

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 10:31 pm
"I am now taking full responsibility for helping create this monster."

Stephanie Cegielski, resigning from her position as a senior strategist with Donald Trump's campaign and now urging people not to vote for him.
ehBeth

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 11:07 pm
@Builder,
http://www.snopes.com/stephanie-cegielski-letter-trump/

Quote:
WHAT'S FALSE: Cegielski was Donald Trump's communications manager and top strategist.
Builder

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 11:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Why, thank you, eBeth. :-)

I'm getting regular discussions from people who say that Trump is actually the best choice of all, because Hillary is corporate-owned, and Sanders is an unknown quantity.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 09:40 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Re: Builder (Post 6160538)
http://www.snopes.com/stephanie-cegielski-letter-trump/

Quote:

WHAT'S FALSE: Cegielski was Donald Trump's communications manager and top strategist.

Wouldn't you want to know the full story? Like: did trump shut it down once he found out the FEC was investigating coordination between the superPac and the campaign????
BillRM

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 12:13 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
once he found out the FEC was investigating coordination between the superPac and the campaign????

If I remember correctly it is a small fine misdeed not a criminal act so why worry about a FEC investigation?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 12:19 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Did you follow the link?
BillRM

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 12:31 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
By the time we have an election, people will either be furiously angry or won't care

Perhaps we will be 'lucky' an Trump will end all future elections beginning in 2020.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 04:26 am
Trump's supporters claiming they won't vote for the nominee if Trump is side-stepped at the convention.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0X60B3?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 05:32 am
@ehBeth,
The link says a Trump spokesman said that Trump wrote the letter asking it be shut down AFTER the FEC started it investigation.

Again, I ask: wouldn't you like to know the whole story?????
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 05:33 am
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/160408-donald-trump-is-truly-uniting-america_zpsjayar4pq.jpg
Builder

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 05:05 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
So, his MO is to make the Dem front runner the clear choice, which is what many pundits have been saying here; that he's not at all serious about the presidency. Just here to make dillary look sane/r.
BillRM

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 06:39 pm
@Builder,
We had 200 years of a elected republic that had work fairly well for most of that time but maybe now that it is falling apart and becoming a world wide joke it is time to walk away from this form of government.

Quote:
Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness

My suggestion is to do what the Romans did and appointed a legibus faciendis et rei publicae constituendae causa (dictator for the making of laws and for the settling of the constitution).

I would suggest Trump to be the first person to hold that office.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 08:32 pm
Terrific nymag article

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/04/inside-the-donald-trump-presidential-campaign.html

longish, but worth it

Quote:
A confluence of factors created the conditions for this election and Trump’s surprising success in it: the turbulence of economic change, anxiety about terrorism, the rise of social media, Obama-inspired racism, Hillary-inspired misogyny, resistance to all manner of social change; the list can go on and on. But one factor that’s been particularly crucial to Trump’s rise may be the way that reality television, cable news, and talk radio have shaped the culture’s sense of “reality” — in other words, its relationship to truth. If Ronald Reagan showed us that Hollywood was good training for politics, Trump is proving that the performance skills one learns in the more modern entertainment arenas are even more useful. Talk and reality shows are improvised operations, mastered by larger-than-life personalities expert at distorting and provoking, shifting and commandeering attention.

I don't think this >>
Quote:
Obama-inspired racism
should be underestimated. It's a big deal in the US.
cicerone imposter

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 08:53 pm
@ehBeth,
https://twitter.com/EMPOWER_UTC/status/717580349149155328/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
0 Replies