bobsal u1553115

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 06:43 am
Making the man: to understand Trump, look at his relationship with his dad
The art of understanding The Donald is in demand right now. His relationship with his father helped shape him – but they’re not as alike as you’d think

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/02689/02_13235827_1c0d70_2689210a.jpg

The art of understanding Donald Trump is much in demand right now. What is his appeal? Why does he talk in that very recognizable cadence? What is his relationship with truth, exactly? And how does he manage to spout out such gibberish – especially in front of the editorial board of the Washington Post – and get away with it?

There are many possible angles of attack. We get op-eds about his alleged similarities with Hitler, about the era of Republican decadence, about how the media gives him too much attention. But one angle that largely goes unexamined is the place even the dimmest of therapists would start: his dad. And of course, there’s more to heredity than money. For example, there’s hair.

Everyone agrees that Frederick Christ Trump (the biblical middle name came from his mother’s family) was a more retiring sort than his son, Donald. But he was not immune to the siren song of hair dye. According to Gwenda Blair’s book The Trumps: Three Generations of Builders and a Presidential Candidate, he was, late in life, particularly fond of a shade of red that bore a hint of magenta. Photographs also reveal that Fred liked to wear his hair a little longer than the average man, combed up into a smooth wave away from the head. Stop me if this starts sounding familiar.

And then there’s the myth of the self-made man. In his autobiography, The Art of the Deal, Donald claims that he learned a strong work ethic from his father. “I never threw money around,” he also wrote with a straight face in those innocent days before his first bankruptcy, and before the Apprentice let America get a view of the inside of his apartment. “I learned from my father that every penny counts, because before too long your pennies turn into dollars.”

That sounds nice. Unfortunately, The Art of the Deal is a difficult book to trust, not least because it contains at least one giant whopper with respect to Fred: it claims that the Trumps were of Swedish ancestry, when in fact they were German. As the world knows now, courtesy of John Oliver, the family’s original name was Drumpf and Fred even spoke German. But he, too, worked to conceal this, in part because at the height of his working life it wasn’t such a good idea to be a German in America. In the late 1940s and 1950s, it gave off entirely the wrong impression.

cont'd
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/26/donald-trump-fred-trump-father-relationship-business-real-estate-art-of-deal
BillRM

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 06:55 am
@bobsal u1553115,
You know I do not like or respect Trump but such low rent attacks are one more likely to aid him more then harm him.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 11:27 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I understand Donald Trump; he's a racial bigot and xenophobe. That's all one needs to know about this creep.
BillRM

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 11:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
he's a racial bigot and xenophobe. That's all one needs to know about this creep.

Other then he could be our next president?

Go to the local library and look up president Jackson.
cicerone imposter

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 11:50 am
@BillRM,
I don't have to look at history to know what I want in our president today; I wasn't living in the mid-19th century.
BillRM

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 05:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Amazing the lack of willingness to used hard earn and at great cost knowledge of history/human nature that some people are willing to show.

It in my opinion a good thing that the founding fathers did not feel that way and even turn to the thousands of years old at that point in history of the Rome republic to help set up our republic.

With that anti-intellectual outlook you seems to share a similar world view to Trump.
snood

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 05:44 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Amazing the lack of willingness to used hard earn and at great cost knowledge of history/human nature that some people are willing to show.

It in my opinion a good thing that the founding fathers did not feel that way and even turn to the thousands of years old at that point in history of the Rome republic to help set up our republic.

With that anti-intellectual outlook you seems to share a similar world view to Trump.

Whoa. It's like hieroglyphics.
Lash

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 06:12 pm
@BillRM,
I think your phone is auto-incorrecting.
BillRM

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 06:14 pm
@snood,
Quote:
hieroglyphics

As in picture writing!!!!!!!!!!

You and CI seems to be on the same intellect level as the Trump supporters.

Quote:
1 : written in, constituting, or belonging to a system of writing mainly in pictorial characters. 2 : inscribed with hieroglyphic. 3 : resembling hieroglyphic in difficulty

cicerone imposter

Sun 27 Mar, 2016 06:19 pm
@BillRM,
While you're on the same level as third graders - in English grammar.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 03:36 am
@BillRM,
As in as difficult to comprehend as hieroglyphics. The point remains, your posts can't even be described as fractured English, they're that bad. Often you write in gibberish, and more often than not you say the opposite of what you actually mean.

That makes it very difficult to square the circle of you being some sort of genius. Scientists, mathematicians, engineers and computer programmers may all struggle with iambic pentameter but they've mastered basic English.

Either you never did, and your claims are nonsense, or your gibberish talk is all an act, or something has happened to turn your speech into word salad, like a stroke or a major head injury.

It will remain a mystery because even though you're happy to talk about your potty training and post pictures of your school days, you refuse to explain why you talk such gibberish.
BillRM

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:03 am
@izzythepush,
So you do not think I ever was an engineer.....Lol not hard to prove as anyone with such a background know such things as what a smith chart happen to be or how to deal with a second order equation or a million other details..

I have a feeling you do not know how to count up to a hundred but perhaps you do know someone other then me who could come up with a few questions as it sound like fun to be tested in that manner.

But to sum up you are an idiot but a highly amusing idiot.
0 Replies

BillRM

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 11:18 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
the circle of you being some sort of genius

Oh most engineers are not geniuses and my IO had always tested around 127 not genius level but not bad as it is almost 2 SDs above average IO and place me in the superior range.
Ragman

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 12:40 pm
@izzythepush,
All things considered I have no problem with you but what's worse than his obvious gibberish, poor behavior and bs is your constant complaining about them.

The solution to your issue with him is pretty simple - ignore him or don't bother trying to correct him. It just adds to the A2K noise negativity and dissension. You're one of his best customers because you keep showering him with attention. So many people complain but aren't willing to stop feeding the attention-whoring. He will not respond to correction...constructive or destructive. Herein lies one of the problems.

Furthermore, if he was (or is) a stroke or brain-injury victim, leave his comments unresponsive because he is not willing to disclose it.
snood

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 01:02 pm
@Ragman,
Yes. Well said. Don't feed the troll. Words I need to take to heart, as well.
oralloy

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 01:49 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Oh most engineers are not geniuses and my IO had always tested around 127 not genius level but not bad as it is almost 2 SDs above average IO and place me in the superior range.

The smarter you are, the more the stupid people gang up on you.

Putting a few of the stupidest ones on ignore makes a big difference though.
cicerone imposter

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 02:41 pm
@snood,
Michael Hayden:
Quote:
Michael Hayden #17
Who: Former CIA Director, Former National Security Agency Director
What: On the heels of Trump’s assertion that “torture works” when interrogating terrorists, Hayden said he “would be incredibly concerned if a President Trump governed in a way that was consistent with the language that candidate Trump expressed during the campaign.”

Trump has also suggested the U.S. kill family members of terrorists. Hayden said that if Trump ordered that as president, “the American armed forces would refuse to act. … You are required not to follow an unlawful order. That would be in violation of all the international laws of armed conflict.”
maporsche

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 02:49 pm
@oralloy,
The smarter you are the less you have to tell people how smart you are.
oralloy

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 03:01 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
The smarter you are the less you have to tell people how smart you are.

Sometimes when a particularly stupid person accuses a particularly smart person of stupidity, it can be hard to resist putting them in their place.

Probably the wiser course of action is to just ignore the stupid people.

I find myself growing wiser as I age. I still have a long ways to go on the wisdom front however.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 28 Mar, 2016 03:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I watched that interview with Hayden, and although I'm not Hayden's biggest fan, I was relieved that he made those remarks. Despite what we may want to think, the Military is structured to perform certain duties, and most officers are loathe to take orders from a cowboy. Donald seems to think he can remake the country into his personal 'albeit' ignorant fantasy of a Cowboy America with one sheriff.

I can understand why some people think Trump is smart, he's rich, some people think money = smart, or smart = money. Lets pretend everybody thinks Trump is whizz-bang smart, he can make money but he can't design bridges, he's not a brain surgeon, not a rocket scientist. He doesn't have to be any of those things, however he is still not qualified to be president. Trump understands what motivates Trump, he is clueless as to what motivates the rest of the country.