BillRM

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 12:11 am
@snood,
As a northern of many generations who have some ancestors that fought on the northern side of the civil war I have no problem with either flying the confederate flag or showing respect for the flag or the confederacy in other manners.

Slavery was not the beginning or the ending of the confederacy and a lot of outstanding men try to give the confederacy life.
snood

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 04:42 am
@BillRM,
Bullshit. It's a hurtful symbol to too many people for anyone with half a brain and any heart at all to still be wanting to fly it.
We've been through all this. There's a whole thread about the confederacy being for slavery. And you knew that before you sent your response here. Just had to start it up, huh?
oralloy

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 06:06 am
@snood,
That is silly. The Confederate Battle Flag is a symbol of Southern pride, and the only reason the Left opposes it is because they are bigots who hate Southerners.

The South should be proud of their culture, and unashamed to fly the flag in the face of Liberals everywhere.
BillRM

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 07:50 am
@snood,
Sorry but that a sub-group that had decided that it is a hateful symbol does not change the fact that very brave men fought with honor under that flag and it is a symbol of not only the south but it is part of the whole nation,
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 07:51 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

That is silly. The Confederate Battle Flag is a symbol of Southern pride, and the only reason the Left opposes it is because they are bigots who hate Southerners.

Those of us who live here know it is really all about resisting segregation. At the local Azalea Festival when local high school girls dress up in their hoop skirts, the guys don their fancy uniforms and the ante bellum mansions open for tours, nobody has ever flown a CBF. The CBF has nothing to do with Southern culture. What is amazing is how many outsiders completely buy that "Southern pride" line.
BillRM

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 07:55 am
@engineer,
Well as I had said I has ancestors who fought against men under that flag and have live in the south for half my life and it is a flag that deserve respect.
engineer

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 08:07 am
@BillRM,
But the CBF was completely retired from the end of the Civil War to the beginning of the desegregation movement. When the segregationists decided to subvert the flag to their cause, they tainted it. The Swastika is a Chinese symbol with religious overtones and I have seen it used that way on temples in Taiwan, but the association with the Nazi party has forever tainted it. Likewise, the adoption of the CBF by the segregationists and groups like the KKK have forever tainted it. The idea that liberals are just disrespecting Southerners is wrong, we did that to ourselves. (Note, there is another thread on this somewhere we should revise unless we really think this pertains to Trump.)
snood

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 10:12 am
@engineer,
Engineer:
Quote:
(Note, there is another thread on this somewhere we should revise unless we really think this pertains to Trump.)

Exactly my thought when Bill brought this stuff up. There is a tangential sort of connection to Trump (his pandering to and accepting support and endorsements from White Supremacist groups), but not so much that we need to divert this thread.
BillRM

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 11:33 am
@engineer,
Sorry however if someday in the far far future some government or group improperly used the current US flag to support some god awful movement that does not mean that the flag is now in disgrace for forever and a day.

Neither you or the small KKK movement or anyone else for that matter can wiped out the river of blood of southern soldiers fighting bravely for their homes.

Footnote very very few of those soldiers had anything to do with slavery.
snood

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 11:42 am
@BillRM,
Damn you're hopeless.
BillRM

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 11:51 am
@snood,
Yes I am hopeless when it come to disrespecting the men who from a 'nation' of only 9 millions fought a 'nation' three times or so larger for years at a price of hundreds of thousands of deaths and many more cripple for life.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 11:57 am
@snood,
Trump showed he's a racial bigot when he talks about building a wall between the US and Mexico, then claims he loves the Mexicans. BS first class.
BillRM

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 12:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I do not wish to defend Trump and I think that the idea of a wall is silly and will not work but on the other hand how the hell is it racist to wish to control the borders of a nation?

So just due to the population in the south being mostly non-white any attempts to control that border is racist?
engineer

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 01:16 pm
@BillRM,
It's his comments about Mexican immigrants being criminals (rapists, drug dealers, etc) that are both racist and incorrect.

Trump wrote:
“What can be simpler or more accurately stated? The Mexican Government is forcing their most unwanted people into the United States. They are, in many cases, criminals, drug dealers, rapists, etc.”

From the Washington Post
Washington Post wrote:
Data on immigrants and crime are incomplete, but a range of studies show there is no evidence immigrants commit more crimes than native-born Americans. In fact, first-generation immigrants are predisposed to lower crime rates than native-born Americans.
cicerone imposter

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 01:26 pm
@BillRM,
You don't wish to defend Trump, but question the veracity of my claim without knowing the truth. No, it's racist to say he loves Mexicans, but will build a wall between the US and Mexico - without making the same claim against Canada.
You're blind - and pretty dumb. You fail to see the obvious.
Fil Albuquerque

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 01:50 pm
If Trumps wins I think I take my chances with those wanna go to Mars one way trip crack heads...its probably safer.
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 02:11 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
t's his comments about Mexican immigrants being criminals (rapists, drug dealers, etc) that are both racist and incorrect.

I tend to mainly agree with you on the above points but being for control borders is not by itself racist even it CI think otherwise.
BillRM

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 02:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Controlling a border is not in itself racist no matter if you love or do not love the people on the other side of the border.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 02:14 pm
@BillRM,
In that case, you didn't hear what Trump said.
BillRM

Wed 17 Feb, 2016 03:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You claimed that the very fact that Trump wish to control the border with a fence mean that he is a racist.

He is very likely to be a racist beside being a clown but your claimed that his desire to build a border wall in and of itself is proof that he is a racist does not follow.