Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 04:40 pm
@IRFRANK,
S'OK, Boss . . . no sweat . . .
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 04:56 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I agree 100%. Party politics stinks, and the conservatives believe they are winning!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 05:04 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRF, Nothing wrong with your reading skills or perception about this issue; those ****'g GOP don't care about our country. That's been proven so often by GW Bush's two wars, no tax for the wealthy, and no nuclear arms security for the world.

They will do anything and everything to make Obama a failure, and the big problem is that many conservatives believe all this is "accomplishment" for the party.

They can't accept the simple fact that the bailout of GM saved almost two million jobs, and they're still talking negative about it. I was against it too early on, because Obama forgot about the small business people who were hurting too, and they create most of the jobs in this country. All this while the government recouped about half their investment already. Savings jobs for Americans is job one for our government, but the GOP doesn't believe it's necessary; they just want more tax cuts for the wealthy.

All their brains are dead.

They just voted no to extend unemployment benefits that will expire on December 1. That's going to hurt two million Americans and their families. A bunch of no heart, no brain, just $$$$.
Fido

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cic;
The GOP think they are the country, and we are only sorjournors here...

Don't worry; they will vote for unemployment... They want the unemployed to all drop dead... They just don't want to have to bury them all at once...
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 07:19 pm
@Fido,
They're doing a good job at it too! Palin claims she can beat Obama in 2012. I wonder if Canda is still accepting immigrants.
Sglass

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 01:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
Ye gads I think the Palins are some of the worst white trash on the planet. They are not what I would consider pristine roll models for the nation or their children.

Mary Hartman Mary Hartman where are you when we need you?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 01:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Palin claims she can beat Obama in 2012.

Has she stated such a thing, CI? This would be the Peter Principle run amok. Of course, that has happened in the US a few times already.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:20 pm
@JTT,
Yes she has; it was in the media just a couple of days ago.

Here:
Quote:
November 17, 2010 5:07 PM
Palin: I could beat Obama in 2012
Posted by CBSNews.com staff
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 08:01 am
@Fido,
Quote:
The GOP think they are the country, and we are only sorjournors here...

Don't worry; they will vote for unemployment... They want the unemployed to all drop dead... They just don't want to have to bury them all at once...

Actually they think it for good reason, they get elected by American voters as did Paladino who might not go so far as to want them dead but locked up.

GOP NY Governor Candidate Paladino Argues for Welfare Camps

All these republicans want to do is to say no to anything and everything Obama has a part of even if it cost people their lives. All they are interesting is getting elected and power over everybody else. There are exceptions but I don't think they are heard.

Lugar rebukes own party for avoiding New START debate, wants to force vote now
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 02:26 pm
@IRFRANK,
Humans will overcome and adapt, it is the core of a society that will determine it's survival, it's laws, morals and ethics ..if these are strong, a society/country/nation can enduure even the most harshest of times.

Though it seems that US will undergo a terrible disaster due to it's arrogance, and poor handling of conflicts. I bet most people here doesn't ask themselves why all these allerged terrorists have all kinds of US weaponry, it's not because they'r stolen, but given ..and what has that to do with anything? When US promises military support to the insurrection against regimes, but doesn't deliver nor tries to keep their word, all the rebles will get greatly angerd, that is the tragic travesty of present core of this global terrorism.
IRFRANK

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 03:27 am
@HexHammer,
Some truth in your diatribe.

But considering the weapons available, how close are we to a real disaster?

How soon until a real madman gets his or her hands on something capable of real destruction?

Those deprived of basic human needs will easily find a target for their anger.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 04:52 am
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
Those deprived of basic human needs will easily find a target for their anger.

Never a truer word.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 04:54 am
@eurocelticyankee,
And who can blame them.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 08:42 am
GOP Senators Swing Back to Military, Boost New START Prospects

Quote:
Forced to choose between the recommendations of the U.S. military and the extreme views of Sens. Jon Kyl (R-AZ) and Jim DeMint (R-SC), enough Republican senators are going military to win Senate approval of the New START treaty this week.

The treaty makes modest reductions in the deployed long-range nuclear weapons of the United States and Russia, restores critical inspections and opens the way for greater global action on the key threats of Iran, North Korea and nuclear terrorism. It leaves both the U.S. and Russia with "more than enough" weapons, in the words of Joint Chiefs Chairman Admiral Mike Mullen. That would be 1550 hydrogen bombs each, or enough to destroy the world several times over.

But the opponents of the treaty claim it is unilateral disarmament and a "sell out" to the Russians. Their speeches are heavy with hyperbole, but short of credible military or expert support. As Sen. Kyl's arguments have gotten more extreme, key senators have quietly dropped their former deference to his leadership.

New START is backed by the entire US military leadership, including the heads of the Strategic Command and the Missile Defense Agency. Lt. Gen. Frank Klotz, head of Air Force Global Strike Command, said Friday, "The New START treaty ought be ratified and it ought to be ratified right away -- this week." He explained:

I think it's extraordinarily important that the two nations that posses the largest number of nuclear weapons in the world have a continuous, constant and substantive dialogue on issues related to nuclear weapons and nuclear weapons policy issues such as safety, security, command and control.

Trash Talking the Military

Opponents discount this support as just the brass "saluting" and following orders. Leaving aside that insult to the integrity of America's military commanders, how do they account for the near-unanimous support of former military leaders and cabinet officials?

All the former commanders of the Strategic Command support the treaty and seven of the eight signed a joint letter to the Senate urging its rapid approval. All living former secretaries of state back the pact, as does every former secretary of defense and national security advisor who has expressed an opinion. The majority of these former cabinet members are Republicans. The whole group represents the combined national security wisdom of seven presidential administrations going back to Richard Nixon's.

When asked Saturday on C-SPAN why all these conservatives support the treaty he opposes, Frank Gaffney, a former acting assistant secretary of defense, said cabinet officials were too busy to really understand the treaty. Leaving aside (again) that insult, there are scores of senior officials who also support the treaty. Almost all have had far more career experience with nuclear weapons than any of the key opponents. Lt. General Dirk Jameson, for example, is a leader of the new Consensus for American Security. He writes:

After more than 20 hearings and testimony from military and diplomatic officials that has seen more than 900 questions asked and answered, a strong bipartisan consensus has emerged on a simple point about the New START treaty: it makes America more safe.

I served in the nuclear arena of our national defense during and following the Cold War; I was the Deputy Commander in Chief and Chief of Staff of U.S. Strategic Command before retiring from the U.S. Air Force. Prior to this I commanded the 14,500 men and women of the U.S. 20th Air Force, and was responsible for all U.S. Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles, seven major subordinate units, operational training, testing, security and readiness. I know about our nuclear security. It is out of this concern for the safety and security of the country that the Senate should promptly ratify New START.

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 09:15 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

it seems that US will undergo a terrible disaster due to it's arrogance

We have an arrogant president that is setting the US up for a
terrible disaster... he has stated that we can absorb it though.

Change you can believe in.
Yes we can.
Hope.
revelette

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 10:55 am
@H2O MAN,
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:54 pm
@revelette,
Do I need to say it slower?
JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:58 pm
@H2O MAN,
Fast or slow isn't your problem. You don't say anything at all. You just repeat mindless memes that you've had emailed to you or you've had someone read to you off a right wing nutsite.

JTT

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 04:15 pm
Go to your local library, get a copy of,

Perestroika: New Thinking for Our Country and the World

by Mikhail Gorbachev

read chapter 7,

Problems of Disarmament and USSR-USA Relations

to see who the real trouble makers are.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 12:49 am
I watched just part of Rachel Maddow's show tonight and one part was very interesting.

She mentioned that in 95 the US (not the US, Norway) launched a rocket to study the northern lights and do some research in the upper atmosphere. (Jan. 25, 1995) It turns out this it served as a very good simulation of a nuclear attack toward the USSR. The defense folks in the USSR did determine that it was the initial strike. We are fortunate that Yeltsin had not yet began drinking for the night and he did not believe it was an attack. He had the magic box brought to him with the launch codes and he refused to do anything without further justification. Fortunately they figured it out before doing anything hasty. It does serve to show what could happen with our fingers on nuclear weapons. I definitely need to do more research to get the story on this, but it sounds completely plausible.

Norway launched the rocket, and they did notify Russia scientific people. They failed to notify the USSR defense ministry.

And yes, I get all my news from Rachel.