So what does everything think of "The Engagement"?

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 03:44 pm
I haven't heard boo from anyone on the Royal engagement. Now granted I could have missed a post or two. But what do you all think?

I love the idea of Kate and William getting hitched. Honestly I don't know why this even effects me, but I do love the idea of this marriage. It seems refreshing after the previous royal marriages.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 20 • Views: 10,505 • Replies: 133

tenderfoot

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 03:58 pm
Anything to do with the royalty is as interesting as when my chicken is going to fart and I don't own a chicken.
Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:02 pm
@tenderfoot,
Odd then that you would reply.

But seeing you don't own a chicken and if your chicken were to fart that would be extremely interesting as it is pretty much impossible.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:05 pm
Maybe people haven't responded because they don't care to be referred to as "everything."
Sglass

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:08 pm
I thought they had already engaged. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:08 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I haven't heard boo from anyone on the Royal engagement. Now granted I could have missed a post or two. But what do you all think?

I love the idea of Kate and William getting hitched. Honestly I don't know why this even effects me, but I do love the idea of this marriage. It seems refreshing after the previous royal marriages.

You know, I was listening to something about them on the radio last night, and I thought "no one's brought this up at A2K"

As far as the 2 of them....meh....2 people getting married.

I hope Kate has a better idea than Diana did of what she was getting into. I certainly wouldn't want to live in that fishbowl, or deal with that particular MIL.

I guess they won't be as high profile, since he's in no sort of imminent danger of becoming king. Plus they won't be living nearby.

I'm sure the whiners are already out in force about the expense. I think the revenue this wedding will bring in will more than compensate. All the tourists, not just for the wedding, but even starting now. It puts the idea in one's head to travel to England, if you were going to be vacationing anyway.

Plus, they've already been selling the commemorative teacups and toilet tissue covers, so, it's all good.

What really got me was that it was mentioned that next year, when they wed, would also have been the 30th anniversary of Charles and Diane, if they had remained married.

30 years...I felt so old. I so remember that like it was just a few years ago. Of course I realize William is in his what? late 20's? But somehow I couldn't reconcile it.
sozobe

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:09 pm
@Linkat,
The ring weirds me out just a bit.

I mean, I was 10 when the whole Diana thing happened, I was very into this stuff, I remember that ring. And there's something about it being the Charles-to-Diana engagement ring that kind of icks me out. If I were Kate, not sure I'd want it.

They seem happy and healthy enough though, hope it works out for them.
Mame

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:09 pm
@Setanta,
LOL

I haven't given the engagement much thought although it was all over the news last night.

Speaking of Royals, I was just at Buckingham Palace (outside, of course) - I hear they're not going to get married at St. Paul's Cathedral.

Speaking of Royles - ever see that show, The Royles? Very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM8FuztOggE&feature=related
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:10 pm
Don't care, they are just two people, their titles don't mean **** to me.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:11 pm
@Linkat,
Well, considering that William looks more and more like his uncles, it's about
time, he takes the plunge.

Kate Middleton was and is criticized by the British media, mostly because of her apparent lack of involvement or personal interest in public life or any issues. She holds a university degree but has made no use whatsoever of it at all since her graduation.

Another Fergie?
Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:12 pm
@chai2,
I believe they are 28 or around that - they met in college and have dated for something like 8 years. I think Kate being older than Diana (or at least she seems more mature) will be able to handle this better - at least she has had 8 years or so with dealing with this. Also, they have lived together (for shame) and it seems grammy is being a little more ok with not being completely perfect. I mean she is a commoner.
Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:14 pm
@chai2,
Oh and as far as the expense - they plan on making this a "lesser" affair under the current economic times. Oh yes, it will still be expensive by anybody's standards, but by the royals it is going to be much less.

I heard that is also why the "Diana ring".
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
Doesn't she work for her family's business? That is what it says in the news.
chai2

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:18 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

The ring weirds me out just a bit.

And there's something about it being the Charles-to-Diana engagement ring that kind of icks me out. If I were Kate, not sure I'd want it.

Is it because their marriage didn't work out, because she's dead, or what?

Was that ring made especially for Di, or was it part of an already owned collection of jewels.

I had the impression these sort of things were handed down generation to generation.

Not to go off track too much, so forgive me, but....
On another thread, speaking about the rich, and super rich. There's also Old Money. Or at least Money (with a capital M, meaning the family inheritance that's passed down, mostly intact, even if it's been for just a few generations).
With Old Money, not much New Stuff has to be bought, as far as property and hard assests. I think it's more about the maintenance and upkeep of what is owned.
Sure there's new cars, clothes, other items that depreciate, but land, jewelry, fine art, doesn't need to be replaced.

End of segway.
chai2

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:20 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Also, they have lived together (for shame)

They LIVE together???.....oh......I feel woozy.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:23 pm
Someone on Twitter said: "Why should I care about the engagement of a balding guy with a rocking-horse face?"
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:23 pm
@Linkat,
That might be the official explanation, but she isn't really working. Even in
2008, the press reported about it...

Quote:
Still, what’s blindingly clear to everyone, including Her Majesty, is that far from earning a living and establishing her independence, the young lady is spending much of her time working out in the new Clarence House gym, having blow-drys, stocking up on knee-length skirts and making demure appearances at Sloane nightclubs such as Mahiki.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/rachel_johnson/article4085809.ece
sozobe

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:25 pm
@chai2,
That the whole Charles and Diana thing was so sad and bad. Not a good resonance to it.

I assumed the ring was made for her (Diana) but I don't actually know.

Found this:

http://jewelry01.blogspot.com/2010/11/history-of-princess-dianas-sapphire.html

Evidently it was new but not made for her especially, which was itself kind of a scandal at the time (such a commoner thing to do, to choose a ring from a catalogue!). Interesting.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:27 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Well, considering that William looks more and more like his uncles, it's about
time, he takes the plunge.

Kate Middleton was and is criticized by the British media, mostly because of her apparent lack of involvement or personal interest in public life or any issues. She holds a university degree but has made no use whatsoever of it at all since her graduation.

Another Fergie?

Yeah, I noticed in a photo he's getting a little sparse on top.

As far as her making use of her degree, again....meh.

Seriously, what is she supposed to do? (I don't know what her degree is in either)
She's not going to be able to take any employment seriously.

Oh, I know he's a helicopter pilot and all that, but really, do you want to be the one to reprimand Prince William?

What about if you were Kate's boss?
"Um, Kate, it seems you're having trouble with your TPS reports.....yeeeaaaah....if you could get them in on time, that would be just great."

Kate discussing the TPS reports with her boss....

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 04:28 pm
I agree! I would not want a ring where my predecessor had such bad luck
with in her lifetime. Not auspicious at all!