Nancy Pelosi -- Should she maintain a leadership position for the dems?

JPB

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 02:03 pm
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Nancy Pelosi, the nation's first female House speaker, said Friday she will try to keep her spot as leader of the House Democrats despite huge election losses that cost her party the majority. More

Nancy says she's not going to go away quietly and is asking to be reelected to lead her party in the House. What say you? Should she maintain her party's leadership or step aside after failing to keep the majority?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 34 • Views: 26,683 • Replies: 352

dyslexia

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 02:10 pm
@JPB,
isn't that an elected position? I mean elected by the House democrats.
JPB

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 02:19 pm
@dyslexia,
Yes, it is. She's hoping to be elected as House Minority Leader -- John Boehner's current postion and the top leadership position of the minority party in the House.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 02:23 pm
@JPB,
I'm guessing that it was mostly the BlueDog dems that lost in the recent election which moves the slant of the House Dems to the left which again I assume is where Pelosi is. She seems like a shoe-in.
JPB

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 02:26 pm
@dyslexia,
I agree that it's hers for the taking. I'm not sure it's a good idea for Democrats. Here are some Pros and Cons according to MSNBC.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 02:47 pm
@JPB,
yeah well you're some kind of middle of the road moderate and I''m an extremist. Cool
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 04:40 pm
Quote:
'I Am Running for Dem Leader'

If she gets her wish, she will provide us something
to gawk at and make fun of for a few more years.

http://www.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Monty-LeBlanc,UT.jpg
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 05:59 pm
Pelosi is the only Democratic leader with any balls. She shouldn't be minority leader in the house, she should be president.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 06:12 pm
@joefromchicago,
Pelosi does have tea baggage, but she should be put out to pasture or just put down.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 10:08 pm
Yes...please
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 08:55 am
@joefromchicago,
Sorry, but her staff people (most of whom have now left her employ) were very intelligent, cordial, helpful people. I could not say the same for Nancy. She had the opportunity and advisors to make herself a very accomplished leader and public servant. She chose to ignore those folks, and made the bed in which she now sleeps. As far as I'm concerned, the country would be better off if she never strayed east of San Francisco.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 09:15 am
@CowDoc,
yes cowdoc, the repubs don't like nancy, the dems don't like Boener, so what? they are elected by their respective caucus.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 09:26 am
@CowDoc,
Quote:
She had the opportunity and advisors to make herself a very accomplished leader and public servant. She chose to ignore those folks, and made the bed in which she now sleeps.

Please explain what specifically you mean. Her job was to pass legislation. She passed legislation.

Nancy Pelosi is an accomplished leader and public servant.
Advocate

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 09:29 am
Pelosi definitely should remain in a leadership roll. If there was ever such a thing as a steel fist in a velvet glove, she is it. Her work passing health-care and financial reform alone is potent evidence her leadership abilities. Moreover, she showed tremendous leadership on a number of other fronts.

Compare her performance to, say, that of DennyHastert, who only showed leadership when it came to promoting pork legislation. (He was effectively a major beneficiary of pork.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 09:31 am
@maxdancona,
I heard someone yesterday say that the Speaker isn't the "chief legislator" but should focus on maintaining the majority for the party. Nancy certainly took on the role of "chief legislator" and failed to maintain the majority. In that respect she failed to do her job. I would think that the party regulars would be looking for someone less toxic if they hope to regain some lost ground next time around.
JPB

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 09:54 am
From Nancy's letter to Dems...
Quote:
"Our work is far from finished. As a result of Tuesday's election, the role of Democrats in the 112th Congress will change, but our commitment to serving the American people will not. We have no intention of allowing our great achievements to be rolled back. It is my hope that we can work in a bipartisan way to create jobs and strengthen the middle class

"Many of our colleagues have called with their recommendations on how to continue our fight for the middle class, and have encouraged me to run for House Democratic Leader. Based on those discussions, and driven by the urgency of protecting health care reform, Wall Street reform, and Social Security and Medicare, I have decided to run."

Quote:
NBC's Mark Murray writes that the most recent NBC/WSJ poll (conducted Oct. 28-30), showed Pelosi with a 24% positive rating and a 50% negative rating. Among independents, her positive/negative score was 8%-61%. Source
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 10:32 am
@JPB,
Quote:
I heard someone yesterday say that the Speaker isn't the "chief legislator" but should focus on maintaining the majority for the party.

I completely disagree with this principle. The reason they are called legislators is because their purpose is to legislate. Chief majority-keeper isn't a position I have heard of. What's the point of having a majority if you can't pass legislation.

At any rate, in this environment I doubt that anyone could have kept the Democratic majority anyway. They might as well have gotten some legislating done.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 10:34 am
@maxdancona,
Let me be the first to make this prediction.

In 2012 Nancy Pelosi will be Speaker of the house again. Also, Harry Reid will be Minority leader in the Senate.

Remember you heard it here first.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 10:40 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Pelosi is the only Democratic leader with any balls. She shouldn't be minority leader in the house, she should be president.

How much money are you being paid for via public relations/guerrilla marketing ad agency paycheck for typing this bull Joe? Or are you being facetious (then I owe you a kneejerk style followup apology)?

In regards to Nancy Pelosi? -To quote a famous European political philosopher...
Quote:
Off with her head. Off with her head. Off with her head!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2010 10:40 am
Of course Pelosi should keep her leadership role! She was by far the most effective Speaker of the House in my lifetime. She foiled pretty much every Republican attempt to block them.

What about that screams 'replace me with a mealy-mouthed moderate?'

Advice from those on the right-wing saying that Pelosi should go ought to be totally and completely ignored.

Cycloptichorn