plainoldme

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 12:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I always try to either post the author's by-line, as I did here, or else preface the post with an indication of where I found the article.

Now, ican posts and reposts the same tired set of figures. You can't think that he compiled those figures, can you?

I post these things from middle of the road newspapers like the NYTimes and the Boston Globe, from objective sources like PBS and NPR and from left wing sources such as Alternet so that you may come to understand that there are opinions other than yours and that there is far more accurate information than the things that you and ican and okie dig up.

I also post these things because they support the arguments made here by the independents and the lefties. For example, I posted Alternet's reposting of the ten leading historical events that righties misrepresent. Several residents of this forum have been making that point to okie since the abuzz days.
plainoldme

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 12:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Sorry, david, but the only person not getting it is you.

I have long suspected that you never went to college but only to law school.* You don't appear to understand how academic research is done.

*I have my doubt about that, because I do not believe that you were ever a lawyer. I am not alone in that belief. You do not argue as an attorney does and you lose your temper too quickly.
OmSigDAVID

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 05:27 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Sorry, david, but the only person not getting it is you.
What is the source of your evidence on this point, Plain?
Did u run a poll or a survay of the over 6,000,000,000 people?
Did u have your question translated for aliens?
How energetic, of u plain!

plainoldme wrote:
I have long suspected that you never went to college but only to law school.*
You don't appear to understand how academic research is done.
OK, Plain, lemme get this straight:
if u wanna prove that u r an "independent thinker"
then u accomplish that by cutting n pasting someone else's work
(and attributing it to him) ??
According to the Plain filosofy of academic research,
when u post someone else 's work, that act proves that YOU ARE an "independent thinker".

On the OTHER hand,
according to Prof. Plain, if u post your OWN writing
presumably that proves that u r a DEPENDENT thinker, I guess.
Did I get that right, Professor ??

plainoldme wrote:
*I have my doubt about that, because I do not believe that you were ever a lawyer.
I am not alone in that belief.[U r OBSESSED by it, with endless re-iterations;
will you give me fewer cases from now on, qua your doubts ?]

You do not argue as an attorney does and you lose your temper too quickly.
I have long suspected that u wander intermittently,
unpredictably in and out of your delusions, Plain,
but thay do no harm (so far as I am aware).

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 05:35 pm
@plainoldme,
Let us note
that there is no indication that Prof. Plain has committed plagiarism.

David
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sun 13 Feb, 2011 11:49 am
After reading these last two posts of yours, and immediately coming down with the headache your posts cause, I think no one could ever take your accusations that I or anyone else is crazy seriously. You had to have modeled at least one Warner Brothers' cartoon character.
OmSigDAVID

Sun 13 Feb, 2011 12:05 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
After reading these last two posts of yours,
and immediately coming down with the headache your posts cause,
Look, Plain: I don 't claim to be a medical expert, but
I advise u NOT to apply any cervical tourniquets to relieve this malady.

(tho I will defer to your wisdom in the matter)

U might consider a head transplant.

plainoldme wrote:
I think no one could ever take your accusations that I or anyone else is crazy seriously.
OK; feel free to include that among your delusions, Plain.

plainoldme wrote:
You had to have modeled at least one Warner Brothers' cartoon character.
I don't get that.
JPB

Thu 17 Feb, 2011 11:51 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON — What does a longtime Republican senator with a national reputation for working well with Democrats do in the face of a potentially career-ending Tea Party challenge?

If you're Richard Lugar of Indiana, you tell them to "get real."

If you're Olympia Snowe of Maine, you fight off the "Snowe Removal" effort by making key alliances with Tea Party activists and highlighting your record of fiscal conservatism.

And if you're Orrin Hatch of Utah, you woo them.
Story: Battles continue on House GOP spending bill

Lugar, Snowe and Hatch are all on notice that their approach to governance may no longer be welcome.

snip

In Indiana, the Tea Party is organizing to unite behind one candidate who could challenge Lugar in a primary. In Maine, the plan is for a spring "Snowe Removal." In Utah, Hatch's efforts have begun to pay off, but the junior senator, Mike Lee, who replaced Sen. Robert Bennett in a Tea Party upset in 2010, has said he won't endorse Hatch for re-election.
More

I would think Olympia Snowe is pretty safe in Maine. I don't know think Hatch has a real problem either. I don't know much about Lugar.

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 10:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

plainoldme wrote:
After reading these last two posts of yours,
and immediately coming down with the headache your posts cause,

U might consider a head transplant.

Plainoldfool is out shopping for plastic parts, a head transplant would be a bonus.
okie

Fri 18 Feb, 2011 01:31 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
Plainoldfool is out shopping for plastic parts, a head transplant would be a bonus.
Be nice to POM!!! She is one of my favorite liberals, because she demonstrates by her posts how far out they can be. She probably wins more debates for us with her completely unreasonable and bizarre posts than we can win with our reasoned posts. You will probably soon see an example of that with some weird comment she makes about me.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:41 pm
Quote:
Take five more steps back and you realize how successful the Tea Party has been. No matter how much liberals may poke fun at them, Tea Party partisans can claim victory in fundamentally altering the country's dialogue.

Consider all of the problems taking a back seat to the deficit in Washington and the media. You haven't heard much lately on how Wall Street shenanigans tanked the economy in the first place - and in the process made a small number of people very rich. Yet any discussion of the problems caused by concentrated wealth (a vital mainstream issue in the America of Andrew Jackson and both Roosevelts) is confined to the academic or left-wing sidelines.

You haven't seen a lot of news stories describing the impact of long-term unemployment on people's lives or the difficulty working-class kids are encountering if they want to go to college.

You hear a lot about how much the government spends on the elderly but not much about facts such as this one, courtesy of a report last fall from the Employee Benefit Research Institute: People over 75 "were more likely than other age groups - including children under 18 - to live on incomes equal to or less than 200 percent of poverty."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/20/AR2011022002480.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

I am not a Tea Partier though as a radical on the Left I have an affinity for the radicals of the Right. As the Middle East shows, this is a growth period for the power of the radicals. Those who dismiss the radicals of the right do so at their own risk.
okie

Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
You have one thing wrong. Tea Partiers are not radicals. They represent the silent majority in this country. If they all ever get mad enough at the irresponsible political establishment that has made a huge mess of things, to organize in an even bigger way, then some interesting things will happen.
dyslexia

Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:52 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

You have one thing wrong. Tea Partiers are not radicals. They represent the silent majority in this country.
as did (does) the John Birch Society.
Rockhead

Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:54 pm
@okie,
the Tea party is neither silent, nor a majority.

and the ones near me don't believe that Sarah is one of them...
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sun 20 Feb, 2011 07:56 pm
okie, considering that the polls show that only between 20% and 30% of the American peoplesupport the Tea Party, I'd say you have a truly peculiar definition of "majority".
okie

Sun 20 Feb, 2011 08:02 pm
@dyslexia,
They would not be my choice of supporters, but I think I would rather have them support me than the Communist Party USA, dys. In case you did not know it, the Communist Party USA has openly supported the Democrats of late.

Here is just one link of a few that come up when you do a search on the subject.

http://www.examiner.com/conservative-in-spokane/communist-party-usa-openly-supports-democrats
parados

Sun 20 Feb, 2011 08:25 pm
@okie,
Gee okie... and the KKK and Nazis support Republicans

Here is just one of the links that come up when you do a search on the subject.
http://www.uspoliticsonline.net/campaigns-elections/5209-kkk-nazis-support-bush-presidential-bid.html
hawkeye10

Sun 20 Feb, 2011 08:28 pm
Quote:
In a mammoth spending bill that ended up being more about principle than achievable cuts, the tea party-charged House Republicans began to define who they are and what kind of government they value.

The GOP plan to fund the government through September is an assault on bedrock Democratic priorities. It imposes substantial spending cuts that would alter the role of government in nearly every area of society - from education and human services to transportation projects, foreign humanitarian aid and medical research. Gone, too, are an array of federal environmental regulations and consumer product safety measures that private industries have long opposed.

Yet in last week's feverish scramble to shrink government, House Republicans also ran the budgetary buzz saw through costly defense and homeland security programs that their party had historically protected. They left no sacred cows.

"We held no program harmless from our spending cuts, and virtually no area of government escaped this process unscathed," Rep. Harold Rogers (R-Ky.), chairman of the Appropriations Committee said in a statement.

The $1.2 trillion bill, which includes historic cuts totaling more than $61 billion, passed the House on Saturday and now careens toward an uncertain future in the Senate. On Sunday, the Democrats who control the Senate renounced the plan as draconian and warned of a possible government shutdown if a compromise is not reached with House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) before existing government funding expires March 4.

In making deep cuts to programs historically supported by their party, House Republicans sought to establish credibility on the one issue they think matters most: cutting the size of government. But they also left themselves open to criticism from their constituents, especially the independent voters who propelled them into the majority last fall, who may be alarmed by the breadth and impact of the cuts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/20/AR2011022003198.html?hpid=topnews

The Tea Party has a winner with their focus on cutting government.....America is generally on board this train, even Democrats. I am sure some of our more liberal A2K'ers would be appalled if they realized that for the most part Democratic state leaders are working feverishly to cut state government spending rather than looking for new ways to bring in revenue.

America has decided, and the Tea Party finds itself on the right side of this issue when almost no one else in Washington is.
plainoldme

Mon 21 Feb, 2011 12:10 am
The Tea Totalitarians are the most radical group in the country at the present time as well as the most fascistic.
H2O MAN

Mon 21 Feb, 2011 07:22 am
@plainoldme,

The left wing liberal progressive democrats are the most radical group in the country at the present time as well as the most fascistic.
0 Replies

okie

Mon 21 Feb, 2011 11:16 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
The Tea Party has a winner with their focus on cutting government.....America is generally on board this train, even Democrats. I am sure some of our more liberal A2K'ers would be appalled if they realized that for the most part Democratic state leaders are working feverishly to cut state government spending rather than looking for new ways to bring in revenue.

America has decided, and the Tea Party finds itself on the right side of this issue when almost no one else in Washington is.
Great observations, hawkeye.