Cycloptichorn

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The Republicans aren't going to come up with ideas they haven't already articulated. He's already "considered" every idea they have, and he's rejected virtually all of them.

That's because they only have ONE idea, and one idea only: lower taxes on the rich. That's it. They have no other job creation plan or plan for anything. Why should anyone listen to them repeat the same idea over and over? It's a waste of everyone's time.

Quote:

This is the guy who told the Republicans that elections have consequences and that he won the one in 2008, and it was a response that most of his supporters cheered.

These same supporters are now insisting that Republicans take a different tact.

I'm sure you meant 'tack.' But you're incorrect; I'm not insisting that Republicans do anything differently. In fact, I hope that they continue to do exactly what they have been doing: nothing productive at all. Just to continue being obstructionist and petty assholes. I expect them to try to 'shut down' the government and to get royally fucked because of it.

Quote:
It's difficult to expect grace when you show none yourself.

So why do you and others in the Republican party expect Obama to respect or show grace towards the Republicans? They (as a whole) have been intransigent and insulting since the first day he announced his run for office. They have done everything they can to destroy the man. And now Boehner and McConnell expect Obama to go along with their plans?

Why would he?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

roger

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Some a2k posters may have said that. Never heard it from the ones in government. Actually, Obama tried too hard to bring in Republicans. He kept appointing them and he allowed the health care bill to go to ****. If I had been in Obama's place, I would have ramrodded some stuff through without a thought of compromise while he had a chance.

You are so right. It was "I won"

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/01/23/obama-to-gop-i-won/

If you would trouble yourself to go look. . . .
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
As long as the "call" is to demonstrate cooperation through capitulation, you won't.

When they had the power, the Dems used it, and the notion that they made and honest effort to seek real compromise with Republicans is ridiculous.

You don't really want to bring people to the table if you publicly attempt to demonize them at every opportunity. What's the play with that? In private you tell your opponents: "Don't mind my public insults. I have to do that?"

Liberals' favorite example of the sincerity of the Dems willingness to compromise with the GOP is the fact that they didn't push for a single payer health care plan.

That wasn't a compromise, it was a tactical move designed not to bring the GOP to the table but to avoid a "socialized medicine" label. All the while, though, we had Dems like Frank and Weiner promising that Obamacare was a necessary first step towards a single payer system. Indeed, the bill was designed to ultimately lead to that end by creating a series of incentives and disincentives, that would result in employers opting not to provide health insurance to their employees.

Hey, if you truly believe that a single payer system is what America needs then do what you have to do to make it happen. If you also want to disingenuously claim it's not your goal because it helps that goal, OK, the end justifies the means. You can even now try and represent your trickery as an example of the compromise you demand from Republicans, but if you represent that any of this political machinations is good faith dealing, you are, frankly, a fool or an utter cynic.

Republicans are not White Knights fighting the forces of Evil. They have proven time and time again that they are all too willing to succumb to the personal benefits of Big Government, but at least they claim to want to reduce the size and scope of government. This is a much better starting point that a congress controlled by unabashed Statists.

Tea Party members don't have a whole lot of faith in the GOP. Why would we? But we do know we have a much better chance of transforming the Republican Party than we do the Democrats, and doing so is a better bet than starting a third party.

The Tea Party Republicans who are now going to DC will either hold true to their principles and force the GOP to live up to its ideals or they will be, like others before them, co-opted by the fruits of power.

If they take the latter road, they will be in for a short ride.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:33 pm
@roger,
The one instance in one issue you cite does not take the rest of it into account.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:34 pm
@H2O MAN,
edgar is a true-believer.

He actually believes that Obama tried (let alone "too hard") to compromise with Republicans.

He's not trying to bull-**** anyone.

Not about Obama's attempts to compromise nor his wish that the Dems had shoved even more Progressive policies down everyone's throats.

Cycloptichorn

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

edgar is a true-believer.

He actually believes that Obama tried (let alone "too hard") to compromise with Republicans.

He did try to hard to Compromise with Republicans. He should have froze them out from EVERYTHING on day one. They certainly did nothing but work to destroy him and everything he stood for. What about that invites respect?

Quote:
He's not trying to bull-**** anyone.

Not about Obama's attempts to compromise nor his wish that the Dems had shoved even more Progressive policies down everyone's throats.

You had nothing 'shoved down your throat.' Your side lost two elections in a row, massively. When that happens, you get to shut the **** up and watch the other side pass bills that reflect THEIR point of view for a while. This is how the system works.

The Dems had to do that from 2000-2006, the Republicans had their turn, now we're in the middle. The whole 'shove down our throats' line is the biggest pile of bullshit ever.

Cycloptichorn
blueveinedthrobber

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:39 pm
@plainoldme,
hard to believe I realize. I would say she probably needed a green card, but H2O Man would never associate with an immigrant. Laughing
edgarblythe

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 05:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I strongly disagree with compromising with people who scream like a lynch mob 24-7. Another peeve against the president - Obama keeps appointing Republicans for jobs that ought to go to Democrats.
squinney

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 06:24 pm
Jim DeMint, considered a hero and supporter of the Tea Party, met with JP Morgan and Chase 24 hours after the election, telling them to ignore the Volcker rule.

The Volcker rule was suppose to "specifically prohibits a bank or institution that owns a bank from engaging in proprietary trading that isn't at the behest of its clients, and from owning or investing in a hedge fund or private equity fund, as well as limiting the liabilities that the largest banks could hold.[6]" according to Wikipedia.

The rule was put in place for federally backed FDIC US banks so we wouldn't have to bail them out again.

Why would DeMint rush to meet with these two banks and tell them to ignore this rule?

How long do you think it will take the Tea Party supporters and conservative voters that voted Republicans back into power to get a grip on the deficit and get government off their backs to realize they were used?
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 06:26 pm
@plainoldme,
I am among many that don't want to believe you have anything to do with educating our youth.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 06:51 pm
@squinney,
Very interesting! Link?

Cycloptichorn
roger

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 07:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Okay then, forget facts and go with "knowledge".
squinney

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 07:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm looking for one. Olberman was reporting on it and had a guy on whose name I did not catch. I'm not seeing it in Google search of news yet.
squinney

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 07:50 pm
@squinney,
It was Spencer Bachus, not DeMint and it was Morgan and Sachs, not Chase.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/#40017517 Go to about the 4 minute mark

And

http://www.salon.com/news/bank_reform/?story=/tech/htww/2010/11/04/spencer_bachus_wall_streets_man_in_washington
edgarblythe

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 07:59 pm
@roger,
Present some.
gungasnake

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 08:26 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
You didn't get mad when we illegally invaded a country that posed no threat to us. You didn't get mad when we spent over 800 billion (and counting) on said illegal war....

You seem to be talking about Saddam Hussein's Iraq... In other words, you feel we should turn the other cheek when a guy like Hussein poisons the US senate office building with anthrax.

In real life we needed to invade Iraq the day after 9/11 and we weren't able to because of the condition which SlicKKK KKKlintler had left the US military in, we had to build for two years first.

Now, if you really want to talk about a totally illegal military operation against a nation which had in real life given us no cause for offense, you really need to be talking about the NATO assault on Yugoslavia in 1999.

THAT really was an illegal and immoral use of US military power by a psychopath operating from the whitehouse. It was intended primarily to take a credible rape allegation against that same psychopath president off the front pages of US newspapers.

The little girl in the picture below was named Milica Rakic. At three years of age when she was killed by a NATO/KKKlintonista bomb hundreds of kilometers from anything remotely resembling a military target of any kind, Milica likely has the dubious distinction of being SlicKKK KKKlintler's youngest female victim.

http://xlterrestrials.org/plog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/milica1.jpg
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 08:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree that Obama was far and away too conciliatory.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 08:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
NPR compared Obama's speech with ronald raygun's mid-term speech when he faced a Democrat sweep into Congress. They were nearly identical.
plainoldme

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 08:32 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Oh, was she a mail order bride?
plainoldme

Thu 4 Nov, 2010 08:34 pm
@squinney,
Good work, squinney.
0 Replies