okie

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So you agree with Nadler that reading the constitution is propaganda? What are you afraid of, imposter?
cicerone imposter

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:56 pm
@okie,
What else is it? Most children educated in the US have read the US Constitution. It's a waste of time, unless they want a constitutional scholar to explain it to them before they run the House down.
okie

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You ask what else is reading the constitution besides propaganda, imposter? I hope you are joking. No wonder this country is in huge trouble, and why the last Democratic Congress was such a monumental disaster!!
cicerone imposter

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:56 pm
@okie,
There is nothing else; it's a total waste of time. The house cannot pass laws that cannot pass the senate and President Obama.

That's a fact.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:58 pm
@okie,
Please list for us all those "monumental disasters?"

Also list what they did accomplish - if you are capable.
You won't and can't, because it'll only prove once again you know nothing about the democratic congress and what they have accomplished.

Your use of words is really a disaster; it only implies lies and innuendos you cannot prove through evidence.
H2O MAN

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 06:55 am
Read it.
Learn it.
Live it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:21 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
What else is it? Most children educated in the US have read the US Constitution.
What evidence have u of THAT, beyond your own dreams??

cicerone imposter wrote:
It's a waste of time,
unless they want a constitutional scholar to explain it to them before they run the House down.
That 's what liberals believe of the Constitution. We know that; "a waste of time."

David
H2O MAN

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 08:24 am
Most, if not all liberal progressive democrats ignore the constitution.

Are you serious?...are you serious?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 01:08 pm
So let's let the games begin of the 112th olympiad in Washington DC.

Code:January 6, 2011, 12:15 pm
House Reading of Constitution Is Not Without Issues
By JENNIFER STEINHAUER

Setting the tone for the 112th Congress — in which every House bill must cite the constitutional source of its authority — members of House of Representatives began to read the United States Constitution aloud from the floor of their chamber Thursday morning.

Like the Constitutional Convention itself, things did not begin auspiciously.

Before the reading began, Jay Inslee, a Democrat from Washington, asked Republicans to illuminate exactly what part of the Constitution would be read, what parts would be deleted and who would decide how things would unfold.

It was decided in advance that any portion of the Constitution that was superseded by amendments — including the amendments themselves — would not be read, preventing lawmakers from having to make references to slaves, referred to in article one section two as “three fifths of all other Persons” or things like prohibition.

These inquiries about parliamentary procedure were not well received, and for several minutes, before a word of the preamble could be uttered, Democrats and Republicans batted back and forth over the issue of language, perhaps presaging future partisan battles over the meaning, purpose and application of the document.

Once that was settled, just after 11 a.m., Representative John Boehner, the newly installed speaker of the House read the preamble (that magical “We the people”), before yielding to the woman who handed him the gavel Wednesday, Representative Nancy Pelosi, who picked up with Article one section one (“All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives”), followed by Representative Eric Cantor, the House majority leader and other House leaders.

From there, members who wished to read were recognized from their seats, beginning with Representative Steve Rothman, a Democrat from New Jersey. So it was, sentence by sentence, in accents that reflect that the myriad districts that did not even exist when the document came to being, by women and African Americans whose full rights were not recognized at that time, the Constitutional language fluttered through the chamber.

At one point, there was yelling in the chamber, and the Sergeant of Arms was called to remove a protester.

The reading of the document on the floor of the House, an act that is part of the new rules package, serves multiple purposes, said Representative Bob Goodlatte, a Republican from Virginia who came up with the idea for the live reading. Largely, it was meant as instruction to members, who now must use it to underlie their bills, and to inform voters.

“Throughout the last year there has been a great debate about the expansion of the Federal government, and lots of my constituents have said that Congress has gone beyond its powers granted in the Constitution,” said Mr. Goodlatte, a senior Member of the House Judiciary Committee, which has jurisdiction over Constitutional amendments. He added: “I think it is important that we send a message to people at home that the constitution is important document.”

But it was also clearly meant as a nod to the Tea Party movement, a loosely organized political movement whose members cite the Constitution as the basis for much of their political theory concerning federal powers and the rights and responsibilities of Congress.
To wit, the document reading is happening on the same day that House Republicans began the contentious process of repealing the health care law, which Republicans have long said lacks constitutional basis.

Further, before the reading began, the Constitution was already being used as a weapon of argument by both sides of the aisle, some of whom clutched it, as the House began to debate anew the health care law, which Republicans have vowed to repeal, beginning on Thursday.

The order of reading was ironed out at the last minute, with the goal of letting all who wished to read do so, but making sure there was party parity, he said. “We have spread the word to everyone and there was a lot of interest,” Mr. Goodlatte said.

According to the Office of the Historian of the House of Representatives, the only two prior instances in which a full or partial text of the Constitution was inserted into the Congressional Record was in 1882, when Roswell Flower of New York “appended” a text of the Constitution — minus the amendments — into the record, and in 1915, when Thomas Reilly of Connecticut inserted the full text of the Constitution into the Congressional Record as an extension of his remarks. But the office could not find any examples of the full text of the Constitution actually being read out loud on the House Floor.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 04:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, You are one stupid a2k participant. This is common knowledge of most Americans who have attended grade school.

Here, from Amazon:
Quote:
All elementary school students learn about the history of the U.S. Constitution when they first begin social studies.

Don't you remember anything from school?
georgeob1

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 04:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

David, You are one stupid a2k participant. This is common knowledge of most Americans who have attended grade school.

Cicerone, do you think that statement was really justified? Do really believe he is stupid? Do you go around in your real life saying things like that to others?

Do you believe that most graduates of grade school fully understand all the details of the constitution (or anything else they are taught for that matter)?
cicerone imposter

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 05:23 pm
@georgeob1,
Never assumed any student understands most of what they are supposed to learn, but anybody who makes statements that are contrary to our educational system will be challenged.

How often have you seen David provide any proof for his uncalled for statements? Have you asked David if he can prove "all students" don't study the US Constitution?
georgeob1

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 05:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't keep track of that stuff about others. Moreover I don't think the faults in question, even if they are true, warrants you calling him "stupid". I don't think you would do that in person. Why do it here?
cicerone imposter

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 05:31 pm
@georgeob1,
Because I can? I'm also a equal opportunity challenger regardless of their political or religious beliefs. When they repeatedly make statements contrary to what should be common knowledge, unsupported, outright lies, or plain bull ****, I will be there to challenge them. They can equally challenge my posts. I try to answer most - except those people who's contribution doesn't have any meaning to the topic being discussed. Most of those, I just scroll past them. They are a waste of time and effort.
georgeob1

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 05:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Are you saying that you use the anonyminity of the internet to say things that you wouldn't say in person through good manners or the fear of retribution?
djjd62

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 05:53 pm
@georgeob1,
i try to avoid talking to people in real life so i won't say the sorts of things i say on line
hingehead

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 06:02 pm
@djjd62,
I already did, so people only talk to me online.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 06:03 pm
@georgeob1,
"Retribution?" Is that a threat? I meet a2kers from coast to coast and even in Europe; I'm not afraid. They can participate in a2k meets at any place and time. I openly challenge all, and if they continually, without one iota of ethics, facts, or evidence, will get my insults when they ignore facts and evidence provided that is contrary to what they claim. There are only a few of those on a2k - less than a hand-full. Most have never responded to questions which asks for facts or evidence.

I don't have the patience at my age to continually prove them wrong with their thick skins that seem oblivious to other folks who provide support for their posts; they just ignore questions they can't answer. Yeah, I believe they deserve insults.
georgeob1

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 06:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

"Retribution?" Is that a threat?

No. But I would not recommend that you apply those standards to me.
cicerone imposter

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 06:41 pm
@georgeob1,
Why would I? What makes you so sure you're included in my insult bin? I have challenged you, but you haven't resorted to the kind of responses we get from okie, ican, or several others who's contributions usually lack any common sense or backup for them - except for their use of FOX News.

I find your responses biased, but you usually answer questions with some understanding of economics and politics.

When I don't agree with you, I always say why.

No problem; I have many such exchanges with a2k members.