Is there a good book that can help deprogram or reprogram a person's brain?

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:41 pm
Any recommendation?

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:55 pm
@stevenya,
What you are asking for is a good book on a subject that is a bunch of quackery.

"Deprograming" was popularized by some nutjobs trying to keep their kids out of a cult of nutjobs called The Children of God, they'd kidnap them from the cult and hold them in high-pressure situations in order to try to "deprogram" them.

There is no science to this other than basic coercion, you are barking up the wrong tree.
stevenya

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:56 pm
Our brain is continuously programming. Our thoughts are the statements or code, thinking is the action to write statements/code. Our feelings are created/determined by our thoughts/thinking.
stevenya

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:58 pm
We can consciously choose how to think, so we can choose what statements/code we write in our brain, in this way, we can eliminate our undesirable feelings.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 11:02 pm
Those are lovely thoughts, but "deprogramming" is still a bunch of quackery. It was basically just kidnapping and coercion.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 11:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Conditioning a la Pavlov may prove its merits to an extent...
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 11:20 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I'm not sure what you are getting at, "deprogramming" does not have its roots in the science of psychology, it was created by street thugs hired by parents freaked out that their kids joined a crazy cult.

They would kidnap them and hold them hostage till they changed their minds about the whole cult thing, that was not a scientific affair, it was simply brute coercion.
boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 08:54 am
You might look for some information on neurobiofeedback.

But I don't think that's the type of "deprogramming" you're looking for so I agree with Robert. Deprogramming is usually associated with trying to get people out of cults or to stop them from being homosexual. It involves nothing more than coerceion and the results can be catastrophic.

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 09:14 am
@stevenya,
Maybe you should look into Hypnotherapy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 06:04 pm
@stevenya,
What exactly do you mean by "deprogram" "reprogram"?

stevenya

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 07:17 pm
@dlowan,
To change your thoughts and even beliefs.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 07:25 pm
I agree with RG; there ain't no such animal as "deprogramming." We are the product of our life for better or worse up to the current time. We can still make choices, but our brains are here to stay.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 08:02 pm
@stevenya,
stevenya wrote:

To change your thoughts and even beliefs.

Well, anyone can change their thoughts and beliefs.

We change our thoughts if we are open to do so when we learn, research, look widely for information and discuss rationally with people with good knowledge. Cognitive psychology has any number of strategies for challenging and changing thoughts.

Beliefs ditto...

If you are discussing the cult de-programming thing specifically, I'd strongly suggest listening to Robert.
billz5557

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 09:55 pm
@stevenya,
How about a movie?

http://vimeo.com/13770061

Watch the first 20 minutes of the this movie and you will be forever changed. If you're the type of person who has always wondered WHY things are the way they are in this world, then this here movie is the answer you have been looking for. Guaranteed. 20 minutes. You will be forever changed.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 10:07 pm
Based on numerous other threads he has started recently, the OP is likely talking about finding some way to turn off his romantic feelings toward a certain lady who does not return them. I don't think this has anything to do with cults or "deprogramming" in the usual sense.

To the OP, again I say...Stop nursing your depression. Go help someone who needs it. Get out of yourself.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 10:25 pm
If it's really about a broken heart, this person needs to remember one truth; all turns out best, but you won't realize this until you meet and marry that special person that's still out there.
0 Replies

stevenya

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 11:11 pm
@dlowan,
Yes, cognitive psychology does a good job in this aspect.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 12:09 pm
Do you mean rewiring the brain? Our brain is rewiring itself everyday, but if you're looking for major restructuring, you will need to go through some life-changing experiences. Since our experiences are not always in our control, maybe you should take up new and challenging activities and read loads of intellectual books.

The proponents of Nuero Linguistic Programming (NLP) claim it can reprogram the brain, but its efficacy has always been doubted.

0 Replies

NAACP

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 06:40 pm
Only YOU have the power over your thoughts. YOU need to recognize your own brain from the rest of the world, recognize each thought as your own. Let me know how it's going after 5 years or so.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 07:11 pm
Quote:
Is there a good book that can help deprogram or reprogram a person's brain?
Only if you hit them with it.
0 Replies