Calling someone 30x in an hour....obsessive?

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 06:43 pm
So i thought my friend slammed me on facebook, turns out he didn't. But I called him about 30 times in an hour only for him to tell me his phone was in the other room and he was taking a nap, and the post wasn't even about me! Was I paranoid and obsessive??

roger

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 06:45 pm
@niecydeecee,
Don't know about obsessive. Sure sounds like harassment.
niecydeecee

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 06:47 pm
@roger,
are you serious, like the harrassment i could get arrested for??
Ceili

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 06:54 pm
@niecydeecee,
Seriously, who does that? Crazy much?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 06:59 pm
If someone called me 30 times in a month I'd call the cops.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 07:00 pm
@niecydeecee,
Go see a shrink, niecy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 07:25 pm
Out of control and stupid at the same time. Highly obnoxious.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 07:45 pm
Doing the math, you called someone approx every 2 minutes?

What do you think?
0 Replies

sandra35

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 09:06 pm
@niecydeecee,
I think you were having a panic attack.It is common in anxious people.I myself does such things when gets worried.It is normal.Don't worry.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 09:08 pm
@sandra35,
No, it's not normal,
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 10:11 pm
@niecydeecee,
niecydeecee wrote:
Was I paranoid and obsessive??

In a word...YES.

And you know that, or you wouldn't have asked.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 08:21 pm
@niecydeecee,
niecydeecee wrote:

So i thought my friend slammed me on facebook, turns out he didn't. But I called him about 30 times in an hour only for him to tell me his phone was in the other room and he was taking a nap, and the post wasn't even about me! Was I paranoid and obsessive??
1 thin is to harass and be obsessive about it, another is to ask such question whith such glaringly clear and simple answer, when you can't see it youself, you defently need a shrink.

To me your mentaillity is distorted, with very low rationallity, however I can't give a fully diagnose, I'm not that strong with psycology.

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 01:18 am
@niecydeecee,
I think you display qualities of all the normal teenagers I have observed who have become so dependent on their cell phone and instant communication that they don't understand the concept of and perhaps have never experienced having to wait to talk to someone.

You were upset - so that's probably why you called thirty times instead of the usual five or ten in an hour, but I will tell you that I sit on the couch in the living room with my daughter and during a two hour movie, she is texted or called by someone at least ten times and sometimes twenty. It gets to the point that I sigh loudly, she understands her buzzing phone is driving me crazy, but instead of turning the phone off for the duration of the movie, which means she'd have to be out of touch with her friends for TWO WHOLE HOURS!!! she gets up and says, I have homework to do, but little does she know that I can hear the buzzing of her phone through the ceiling of the living room which is the floor of her bedroom.

I have a friend who lives two hours away and when we are not with each other (and he is not my boyfriend) he calls me sometimes three or four times a DAY! I just don't have enough to say to anyone to have them call and talk to me that many times a day. I just sit there and listen as he talks.

And I think it's this cell phone society. If you want to talk to someone - you WILL call them right at that moment and they BETTER answer the phone because you KNOW they hear it ringing or buzzing so if they don't - it couldn't mean that they're in the shower, or washing the dishes or God forbid taking a walk without their phone (which is what I get absolutely scolded and castigated for doing). It MUST mean they don't like you anymore and they don't want to talk to you.

Well, I'm sorry - but there's a big part of my evening in which I don't want to talk to ANYONE- I've been talking to people all day!
I used to not answer my landline when I got home from work if I was busy or tired or involved in something else. Why the heck should I have to walk around with a phone in my hand and answer it and change my mood and activity because someone else now knows I can?
What if I don't want to?
What if I want to take one day without talking to that person?
Does that mean I hate that person? No...it just means I don't have anything to say.

I couldn't live the way it seems to be these days. I like my quiet and alone time too much and I always have. I couldn't have been a cell phone user when I was a teenager either. It was fun having a phone call from a special person as something to look forward to instead of having it become something that was such an everyday occurrence that it became bothersome and annoying instead of fun.
niecydeecee

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 09:41 am
@sandra35,
sandra35 wrote:

It is common in anxious people

Thank you for saying that. I am an anxious person and in confusing situations, I will rely purely on my emotions.....
niecydeecee

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 09:52 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

And I think it's this cell phone society. If you want to talk to someone - you WILL call them right at that moment and they BETTER answer the phone because you KNOW they hear it ringing or buzzing.

And that was where I was pulling my rationality from. I now know what I did was wrong and I was not in a rational frame of mind, but I had to realize that from taking a step back and hearing what others opinions are. It is truly apart of society to have your cellphone surgically attached to your hip and to answer it promptly but I was in a poor state of mind and am realizing that that was not my normal judgment....or an everyday occurrence.
HexHammer

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 10:43 am
@niecydeecee,
niecydeecee wrote:
I am an anxious person and in confusing situations, I will rely purely on my emotions.....
There's an old saying "those who are ruled by emotions, are prone to fear" ..and those who are prone to fear ..sow chaos.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 10:57 am
I belive this unfortunate situation is symptoms of a greater underlying problem, some unresolved fustrations.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 11:27 am
@HexHammer,
I agree Hex.

niecydeecee- Let's look at the situation this way. For the moment, let's pretend that it is YOU, who is busy doing something, and you need quiet, with no distractions. Someone calls you 30 times in an hour. What would be YOUR reaction?

I understand that young people are much more involved with phone technology than their elders. This is a cultural fact.

For instance, very few people have my cell phone number. Only my husband, brother and son, and a very few close friends have it. My attitude is that whatever someone wants to say to me, they can leave a message on my home answering machine, and I will respond when I return home, and have a spare moment to talk.

Saying that, and understanding the differences amongst people of different ages, IMO your reaction was WAY out of line. What you need to learn are boundaries, and the line between friendliness and harassment.

You sound like a very needy young lady. I think that it might be helpful to have a discussion with a mental health professional, to determine the basis for your anxieties, and develop strategies for coping. It will be time well spent, and will serve you well in the years to come. Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.
djjd62

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 11:38 am
outside of work, i probably don't make 30 phone calls in one year
roger

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 01:22 pm
@Phoenix32890,
No, I also have your cell number.

heh heh heh
0 Replies