Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:15 pm
Quote:
The End of Men
Earlier this year, women became the majority of the workforce for the first time in U.S. history. Most managers are now women too. And for every two men who get a college degree this year, three women will do the same. For years, women’s progress has been cast as a struggle for equality. But what if equality isn’t the end point? What if modern, postindustrial society is simply better suited to women? A report on the unprecedented role reversal now under way— and its vast cultural consequences
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/07/the-end-of-men/8135/

Quote:
In today’s New York Times, Nicholas Kristof writes a response to my “End of Men” piece in the Atlantic. He concedes that gender dynamics are rapidly changing but wonders why we have to see them as a zero-sum game. “We exaggerate the degree to which the sexes are mired in conflict,” he writes. Of course, in an ideal world—and no one is an idealist if Kristof is not—the two sexes would boost each other in a happy see-saw of loving support. And in some cases, the shifting gender dynamics have brought this about. Men—even working-class men—are much more likely to help around the house than they used to be, and their full entry into the workforce is giving women an economic independence they never had. But in some cases, this historic gender shift does look like a war, or at least a stand-off. The major change in the working class is that women are not getting married at all, judging men to be unsuitable partners. And men are left seething and feeling abandoned. In many other countries, the rise of women does not sit so easily with men, and they are responding with violence. One of the first steps is to acknowledge that it’s happening and then to urge men to have another response besides anger and disappointment.
http://www.doublex.com/blog/xxfactor

Those who argue that women are oppressed by men still are full of it, or maybe just hopelessly behind the times. What will become of men has become a very big concern and question over the last few years, as the scope of the problem has become clear. Are we to follow the model of the lower class blacks, where the women decided they dont want men around and the men comply and go gangbang or sink into a life of crime and/or drugs, where both women and men allow the foundation of the family to crumble? Will violence against women escalate? More hopefully, will men reinvent themselves?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 17,716 • Replies: 249

failures art

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:14 am
@hawkeye10,
Or...

As a man, you simply work hard and pursue the life you want, and don't evaluate your success by others success/failure.

I want to do many things in my life, being a man is not going to limit me on any of those things. The is not the end of men, but it could be the end of entitlement. Deal with it. If you can't survive in the world without entitlement favoring you, then you're weak. It seems your resentment comes from having your cultural handicap removed.

Women aren't your adversaries hawkeye, you are.

A
R
T
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:07 am
@failures art,
Quote:
Women aren't your adversaries hawkeye, you are
I am very successful in life, and have rarely had any trouble with women. This thread is intended to be about the shift in fortunes between men and women in America in general. I did not write the piece in the OP, but I assume that the author has email so you could always take your bitch up with Ms Rosin, but since it has nothing to do with me kindly leave me out of it.
failures art

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:32 am
@hawkeye10,
Cute, but you added your shtick at end, so don't try to abandon any sort of attachment to the post.

The shift of fortunes? Who gives a damn? This is a meaningless omen unless you believe that the balance of fortune must result in the surplus in the men's pocket.

What is so threatening about this for you? If more women are working, and in management, then women are EARNING more fortune.

Quit complaining.

A
R
T
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:48 am
@failures art,
Quote:
What is so threatening about this for you? If more women are working, and in management, then women are EARNING more fortune.
My wife is making a lot of money, which allows me to take this year off, I am getting ready to open a restuarant which I can do because she can support us. Why would I hold a grudge against women doing so well when my woman doing so well has been so good for me personally? Again, this topic is general, it is not about me. You have been told this and yet you go on with your false belief. This points to a listening problem on your part.

This kicker is that you know that I was a stay at home dad for ten years which was possible because my wife could support us, and still you maintain your delusions about me.

Now, if youd like to talk about the topic please do so, otherwise please go away,
failures art

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:09 am
@hawkeye10,
You're still describing a non-topic. What here needs to be addressed?

That the workplace has become competitive?

You still said that:
Quote:
Those who argue that women are oppressed by men still are full of it

Which is in no way nullified by the employment of women. If you think it does, you don't understand the issue.

If 3 out of 4 managers are women, but the 4th is a man who had to work half as hard to get his position, it doesn't matter that women make up more of the management, does it? It would still be a gender bias.

Labor statistics still show that women are passed over or have to work harder to achieve upward career opportunities.

You're argument sounds like saying that because a Georgia Coca-Cola factory is operated mostly by African-Americans, that it means they can't claim for unfair work conditions because they are the majority.

A
R
T
engineer

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:41 am
@hawkeye10,
Once upon a time a capable man had every chance to succeed, a capable woman less so. Slowly we are reaching the point where a capable person has every chance regardless of whether that person is a man or a woman. That may mean more competition for men, but that doesn't mean "woe is Man". The pendulum is not swinging so that men are discriminated and capable men are denied jobs in place of less capable women. I think this article is really just an observation that men no longer have as much of a gender advantage as they historically did and that we can envision a day where there is no advantage.
djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:08 am
The End of Men

about bloody time, now if we can just get rid of the women and children, the world would be perfect
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:24 am
@hawkeye10,
It is kind of funny as I compare to my position. In a sense I haven't really thought it all the way through before - my hierachy within my reporting tree starting with the highest level.

SVP - woman/VP - woman/AVP - woman/director - woman/UM (me) -woman/manager - woman/several analysts and sr. analysts - all men (not one woman) - granted we have a couple of positions open at different levels - all the lower levels I have been interviewing for have been over 90% men! Just seems odd.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:40 am
@hawkeye10,
You could always move to the Sudan, Congo, Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan. Apparently men still are very much in control of society in those countries.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 09:29 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
What will become of men has become a very big concern and question over the last few years,

Really? Laughing

This is what keeps you awake at night?

Will we see groups of men wandering the streets aimlessly, lost, dazed, purposeless, too stubborn to ask for directions?

This might just be part of the evolutionary process. As men become less useful, their habits and behaviors less appealing, they become less relevant as a component of female happiness.

Well, we no longer need them to hunt for food. Supermarkets have replaced them as far as that goes.

We don't need them for protection, in fact we'd probably be safer without them.Most of the violence in the world is their doing.

Now that women have acquired fairly good skills in carpentry, plumbing, and hanging wallpaper, we don't really need them for those minor home repairs.

Most of them, beyond the age of 30, aren't good for the heavy lifting jobs. A man with a really good, fit, muscular body is a rare sight these days.

Having to constantly prop up their sagging egos has really become a drag. We can certainly live without that.

Tidying up will be faster, without the mess they create.

Without them, we know the toilet seat will always be down.

They never were the greatest conversationalists, so it's not that we'll notice an absence of stimulating company.

Many women swear that vibrators provide better orgasms, and they make no demands and function more reliably.

Grateful puppies from the local shelter can certainly provide more fidelity than many men have been capable of.

Children really don't need a male parent. Parenting isn't a gender specific job, and women have always done most of the work in this department anyway.

Sperm banks can provide a wider choice of attributes for our offspring beyond what we could get from the few partners most of us now select for that purpose.

We can certainly manage and run our own businesses and governments without them.

So, what will become of men?

On balance, considering everything, we might just need them as sperm donors.

Did we ever really need them for more than that?

Green Witch

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 09:42 am
@firefly,
Quote:
This is what keeps you awake at night?

Hawkeye claims to be secure in his Penishood, but his posts have always left me in serious doubt.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 10:26 am
@firefly,
I disagree with this:
Quote:
They never were the greatest conversationalists, so it's not that we'll notice an absence of stimulating company.

I've found them to make wonderful friends - extremely amusing and entertaining. Today I had to kill a wasp for one and it made me laugh for ten minutes. He swatted the thing with a paper and it fell to the floor and then he went to pick it up and apparently it spasmed and he shrieked - yes shrieked (and this is a gravelly, low-voiced man) and backed away like he was about to be bit by a rattle snake.

I had to go over and swat it again and scoop it up and dispose of it - still laughing- and I'm still laughing - remembering it now.

Quote:
Many women swear that vibrators provide better orgasms,

I also don't agree with that.

I hope its not the end of men - I like their hands and voices too.

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 10:45 am
I would like more women in my place of work for a few reasons:

- I like the engaging sexuality aspect as it can mean romance.
- I like the emotional aspect as it can mean a more sympathetic ear.
- I like that they are physically weaker as it can mean I may not have to perform beyond what a woman can do.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 11:33 am
@firefly,
Laughing Laughing

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 12:00 pm
@firefly,
wow - this makes lots of common sense - I think we should keep the men with the best attributes in a pen (with facilities enough to maintain those positive attributes) and then use these men with the highest qualities for providing sperm.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 12:16 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
I think this article is really just an observation that men no longer have as much of a gender advantage as they historically did and that we can envision a day where there is no advantage
the article goes further, it raises the question of are we already at a point where women have the advantage. Even if the reversal has not gone that far this has huge ramifications for family life. The fact that increasingly women decide they dont want a man, which leaves men without women and presumably unattached to family has to be a huge concern after we see what this has done to the lower class black man. I am not so sure that these wayward men will gravitate to a life a crime, I more suspect they will take up radicalism. The danger is that we will end up with a huge pocket of excess men with nothing at stake in the society, who will be ready and willing to burn it down.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 12:22 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

Quote:
What will become of men has become a very big concern and question over the last few years,

Really?

really, I am surprised that this is the first you are hearing about this. You might want to take a look into how you stay up with current events, as obviously something has gone wrong with what ever you are doing. This problem came onto the radar about ten years ago, and has continued to grow rapidly, and around the middle of last year when it was confirmed that this recession has hurt men much more than women it jumped in priority of concern.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 12:23 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
wow - this makes lots of common sense - I think we should keep the men with the best attributes in a pen (with facilities enough to maintain those positive attributes) and then use these men with the highest qualities for providing sperm.
No romance and no sympathetic ear...oh my!
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 12:26 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
then use these men with the highest qualities for providing sperm.
women have always done this, though presumably not consciously.