We've been dating for 43 days and going on a road trip to see my family!

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 01:31 am
My boyfriend and I have been dating for 43 days and we're going on a road trip to see my family. The road trip is only 4 1/2 hours, I'm kinda nervous about this whole thing... What if we run out of things to talk about? Any suggestions on what we could talk about just in case I can't think of anything and the whole care ride there is silent?

roger

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:10 am
@lolo1869,
Traffic. You can always talk about the manics that drive too fast, and the morons that are two slow.

Make up stories about what really goes on in the innocent looking farm houses you pass.

Forty-three days. Wow, it sounds like you could count the minutes till your fifty day anniversary.
BillRM

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:04 am
@lolo1869,
Talk about your family he is about to meet and give hints on how he might create a good first impression with them.

If you think that you are nerve think how he must be feeling over meeting your family for the first time.

Second, when a relationship is as new as your, it is somewhat odd to me that you are of the opinion that a four-hour car trip would run you out of tropics.

I known my wife for twenty-five years and been married to her for four years and we can still travel across the country without running out of things to talk about.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 05:35 am
Jeez, lady - 43 days and you already can't find anything to talk about?

Take a book of jokes along with you.

Or be the map reader.

Say SOMETHING!!

0 Replies

lolo1869

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 12:44 pm
@BillRM,
I see it odd too, but I get so nervous around him that I lose train of thought sometimes.
0 Replies

lolo1869

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 12:45 pm
@roger,
lol No it's in my calendar!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 01:03 pm
@lolo1869,
lolo1869 wrote:

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 43 days and we're going on a road trip to see my family. The road trip is only 4 1/2 hours, I'm kinda nervous about this whole thing... What if we run out of things to talk about? Any suggestions on what we could talk about just in case I can't think of anything and the whole care ride there is silent?

ok, serious advice here.

There is this thing called a "comfortable silence"

That is when 2 people feel comfortable and at home enough with each other that they don't need to fill every moment with chatter.

The way most long car trips go is that you talk for awhile, then, sitting back and noticing the scenery, you both start to have thoughts of your own. You are relaxed and are just enjoying the ride, looking out at the day, and being in each others physical presence.

43 days of dating is quite a while. I think it's time to take the relationship to a bit more meaningful level. Beyond mindless chatter.

I'll bet you $10 that he will probably be a little relieved that you aren't talking constantly. We all need our own space.

Then while you're driving, one of you will point out an unusually large squirrel, or mention they have to go to the bathroom, and conversation will commence again.

Are you enjoying dating this guy, or do you look at it like it's your job to entertain him?

Why are you still so nervous with someone after seeing them for a month and a half?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:52 pm
I like this: It's like a get- to- know- your family storytime.

Take turns telling brief "best" and "worst" stories about each member of your families...a short little vignette sharing what you feel is one of the worst experiences you've had with them - or one of the worst things they did - per you - and the best. (If you have some really scary "worst" stories," tell "funniest." I guess this is a great way to get to know each other.
Lash

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:54 pm
@Lash,
Frankly, though, I bet at 43 days, it might be less intrusive to just plan to bring your four most fabulous CDs, and be prepared to defend your choices.... Talk about music! Your favorite books!! Authors... Play truth or dare!!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:28 pm
@Lash,
43 days? and how many hours and minutes?

Take a deep breath, and then breathe in an out.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 04:50 am
I keep reading the title of this thread as years instead of days and keep thinking everyone must be kinda old.
0 Replies