What TV show do you remember that you believe no one else does?

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 04:09 pm
@eoe,
Yep, I loved that show! I watched it after I broke up with a boyfriend who was a musician, and I wasn't totally over him at the time, and imagined that he and I would be like Molly and (? Moss?) 20 years down the line.

And of course 20 years down the line is right about now. Gulp. (Not about him but about how old that seemed at the time....)
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 04:11 pm
The Stu Erwin Show
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 04:16 pm
@sozobe,
OMG. Blair Brown was 40 when the show started. And I'm gonna be 40 in a few months.

Excuse me, I need to go have a midlife crisis.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 04:35 pm
You're funny Soz! Laughing

All That Glitters. A little late night show where women ruled and men were subservient. If I'm not mistaken, Lois Nettleton played a transsexual. Once a man, then a woman.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 05:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yup, sure do!
Lots of stars jumped into the forefront from this show.

Denzel Washington
Mark Harmon
David Morse
Ed Begley, Jr

and lastly

Howie Mandell
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 05:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
"Hen-REEEEEE?! Henry ALDRICH!"

"Coming, Mother!"

Believe it or not, The $64,000 Question is where we got Dr. Joyce Brothers from. She was a contestant. Also the Payola scandal was exposed due to an investigation of this and other games shows (see movie 'Quiz Show') in that day.
Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:06 pm
@eoe,
I recall Hullabaloo and Shindig! On Shindig often times Bobby Sherman and Paul Revere and the Raiders appeared on those shows. I just learned that, believe it or not, actress Teri Gar was a regular Shindig dancer.

"The series house band, the Shin-diggers (later renamed the Shindogs), featured a young Glen Campbell, Joey Cooper, Chuck Blackwell (drums), Billy Preston, James Burton, Delaney Bramlett, Larry Knechtel (on bass) and pianist Leon Russell.

The Blossoms, an all-female vocal group featuring Darlene Love, backed up many of the performers and were occasionally featured in spotlight performances. The Wellingtons were a trio of male singers who performed on their own and as backup singers. Donna Loren, Jackie DeShannon and Bobby Sherman were also regular vocalists on the series."
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:22 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

"Hen-REEEEEE?! Henry ALDRICH!"

"Coming, Mother!"

Believe it or not, The $64,000 Question is where we got Dr. Joyce Brothers from. She was a contestant. Also the Payola scandal was exposed due to an investigation of this and other games shows (see movie 'Quiz Show') in that day.

Yeah. Joyce was chosen to lose by the producers of the show. But either she did not know that, or else she rebelled. They asked ever more obscure questions, but she got every one right until they were forced to declare her a winner. I could be wrong, but, I believe her topic was boxing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:24 pm
Remember who was the star of Circus Boy?
Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yuppers! Mickey Dolenz (then known as Mickey Braddock), who later became one of the singing stars of the Monkees, drummed and played a mean tambourine.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:32 pm
Were Knight Rider, Knott's Landing and Dallas and Dynasty mentioned yet?
Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
I didn't see them mentioned, so nice job. I loved Knight Rider (KITT 2000?)
. Wasn't that David Hasselhoff's first series?

How about the post-Civil War New Orleans western serials Yancy Derringer? It starred Jock Mahoney, on a riverboat, Jock went on to star as one of the movie Tarzans.

How about Mr. Lucky? I know that it was a Cary Grant movie, but this was the one that was a tv-series in early '60s. I recall the side-kick was Ross Martin, whose character was called Andamo.

Speaking of another series of Ross Martin's:
Ross went on to become a movie actor and co-star of Wild Wild West with Robert Conrad. Wild Wild West, was sort of a 1860s-1870s James Bond..repleat with innovative-for-the-times inventions as props and daring escapes.
roger

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:53 pm
Burns & Allen, or whatever it was called.

"Say goodnight, Gracie"

Not that anyone has forgotten.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 06:58 pm
Science Fiction Theatre.
Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 07:09 pm
@dyslexia,
sort of recall that.

Oh, hoiw about Captain Midnight. Starrred Richard Webb, who had a sidekick who was played by actor Sid Melton. Character's name was Ichabod Mudd (with 2 Ds). I recall the sponsor was Ovaltine.

Then there was tv-series Sargeant Preston of the Yukon and his dog Yukon King? "Well, King, this case is closed." Anyone recall that?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 07:17 pm
I'm not gonna read this whole damned thread to find out if anyone else mentioned it, but . . .

It's about time
It's about space
About strange people
In the strangest place . . .

http://www.memphismemories.org/Topics/Radio_TV/1960s_Network_TV/itsabout07.jpg

The "cavewoman" and "caveman" in the background are Imogene Coca and Joe E. Ross. This was done by the same crew that did Gilligan's Island.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 07:26 pm
@Ragman,
The guy that played Yancy Derringer also played what - The Range Rider? Kid's show.

Mr Lucky was by the same people that presented Peter Gunne and even had lots of Henry Mancini's music in it.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 07:26 pm
BJ and the Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AsqKQptTdQ
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 07:29 pm
I don't know who played Sgt Preston on TV. On the radio, it was Brace Beamer, who also was The Lone Ranger. Incidentally, the Lone Ranger had a nephew named Dan Reid. Dan was the father or grandfather of a 20th Century character on a different program. Anybody recall -?
ibstubro

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 07:43 pm
@Ragman,
Fractured Fairy Tales