What TV show do you remember that you believe no one else does?

ibstubro

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 12:21 pm
@chai2,
I could not deal with H.R Puffenstuff...he was the Barney of his day. Big, ugly and annoying.

Anyone suggesting "The New Zoo Revue" and any positive connotations, please report for immediate psychiatric evaluation.

I think "My Mother the Car" was from the age of innocence that had other commonplace things like talking horses. I'd forgotten that Jerry's career began that early.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 12:42 pm
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054574/

"Way Out"- This was a show hosted by Roald Dahl. It only ran for 14 episodes in 1961, but IMO was one of the best of the thriller TV shows. In fact, somewhere in the A2K (or maybe it was Abuzz) archives, I had written a thread about one of the episodes that had haunted me for decades.

After a lot of research, I finally found it. It was called "The Overnight Case", and it still gives me the shivers whenever I think of it.
roger

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 12:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
I've got a feeling Captain Satellite might have been inspired by Captain Video and his Video Rangers. You would be a little young for that one.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 12:53 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
I saw this episode when it first aired, in 1961. It haunted me, for decades. A number of years ago, I attempted to research it at the museum of Television and Radio in NY. They had a number of episodes of "Way Out", but unfortunately, not this one. I finally found a synopsis of the story on the internet a few years ago.

To me, this was one of the most frightening stories that I had ever seen in my entire life. I tend to favor things "psychological", and this story filled the bill, "in spades".

The concept of a person being unable to separate dreams from reality is, to me, one of the most frightening things imaginable. The episode was well acted, the characters believable. I was very surprised that this episode did not get the accolades that some of the other "Way Out" stories did. I think that if a story can capture a person's (mine) imagination, and affect that person for decades, there is something very, very special about it.

After writing my post, I "Googled" around, and found this review. I thought it was pretty decent, and had a familiar ring to it. Then I looked at the author, and realized that I wrote it, in early 2008!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 12:56 pm
@roger,
Rog- I wasn't too young. I was madly in love with the Video Ranger, (before I later threw him over for Clint Eastwood, as Rowdy Yates, in "Rawhide"!)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 02:00 pm
@roger,
It went off the air a year after I was born. I remember seeing some reruns at some point. After reading the wiki about it, it sounds like it had more skit and performance art then Captain Satellite had. Captain Satellite was a lot of interviews with kids, authors and NASA people peppered between cartoons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Video_and_His_Video_Rangers
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 03:39 pm
Well,
The Cisco Kid
Route 66
Cheyenne
Peter Gunne

Eva

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 07:58 pm
Shenanigans.

It was a '60s game show for kids. My sister, brother and I would fight over who got the best spot in front of the TV.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 08:11 pm
@roger,
Ah, but I remember..
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 08:17 pm
@Eva,
I remember Shenanigans!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 09:08 pm
The Tarax Show.
See, not a soul here remembers it!

(hint: you'd have to be a baby boomer who grew up on Oz to be able to recall it! Wink )
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 09:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Well,
The Cisco Kid
Route 66
Cheyenne
Peter Gunne

I remember all of them.

How about Sky King?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 09:32 pm
@Intrepid,
Hah, I got Sky King's autograph when, for some reason, he was filming in our immediate neighborhood in Illinois when I was a kid. I later tossed the autograph book. What a dope.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 09:41 pm
@ossobuco,
I got Hopalong Cassidy's autograph and Dale Evans. Oh, also the Lone Ranger (Clayton Moore).

Remember Hopalong Cassidy played by William Boyd in the early 50's?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 09:51 pm
@Intrepid,
I remember it especially in 1950. My mother made me a "cowboy skirt" out of (I think) light blue denim.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 10:15 pm
@Intrepid,
I saw Hopalong Cassidy, in the Fresno parade one year - along with Pinky Lee.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 10:16 pm
@Intrepid,
I remember Sky King best from radio. Didn't get to see it on TV.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 10:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I remember Sky King best from radio. Didn't get to see it on TV.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 10:28 pm
Many early TV shows came from the radio, including, The Lone Ranger, The Cisco Kid, Gunsmoke, The Life of Riley, Father Knows Best, Ozzie and Harriet, Inner Sanctum, Richard Diamond, Dragnet, Dick Tracy, Superman and others. One odd fact, the radio show of Have Gun Will Travel came from the TV, only it starred John Dehner. To me, Brace Beamer is the Lone Ranger, not the guy from TV. And William Conrad made the best Mat Dillon. (In my not so humble opinion).
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 04:35 am
I spent some formative years outside of Philly and there was a show called Wonderama.
0 Replies