What TV show do you remember that you believe no one else does?

ibstubro

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 07:59 pm
@eoe,
Quote:
Does anyone remember Hullabaloo? Or Where The Action Is? I couldn't get home from school fast enough for that one. It came on every afternoon at 3pm.

No, I can't say as I do. Care to link?
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Maude
The $64,000 Dollar Question
Martin Kane
The Aldrich Family

I actually LIKED Maude. Seems I was in a minority. lol
Didn't the $64,000 Question cause the quiz show scandal?
NEVER heard of Martin Kane to my knowledge!
The heck is The Aldrich Family?
ibstubro

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:18 pm
Well, we've missed an entire genre, and my favorite.

The Twilight Zone
The Outer Limits
Night Gallery

Several more...I have some of them on DVD.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:23 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I recall Hullabaloo and Shindig! On Shindig often times Bobby Sherman and Paul Revere and the Raiders appeared on those shows. I just learned that, believe it or not, actress Teri Gar was a regular Shindig dancer.

"The series house band, the Shin-diggers (later renamed the Shindogs), featured a young Glen Campbell, Joey Cooper, Chuck Blackwell (drums), Billy Preston, James Burton, Delaney Bramlett, Larry Knechtel (on bass) and pianist Leon Russell.

The Blossoms, an all-female vocal group featuring Darlene Love, backed up many of the performers and were occasionally featured in spotlight performances. The Wellingtons were a trio of male singers who performed on their own and as backup singers. Donna Loren, Jackie DeShannon and Bobby Sherman were also regular vocalists on the series."

Great tidbits Ragman! I'd forgotten all about Shindig.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240305/
Where The Action Is
I wasn't sure but yes, Dick Clark was indeed the host of this show as well as American Bandstand

Who remembers the great Friday night concerts on Midnight Special?
Or Soul, a wonderful live concert series on TBS featuring African American talent?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:25 pm
@eoe,
Midnight Special got me through some long nights of babysitting.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:32 pm
@ibstubro,
ibstubro wrote:

Maude
The $64,000 Dollar Question
Martin Kane
The Aldrich Family

I actually LIKED Maude. Seems I was in a minority. lol
Didn't the $64,000 Question cause the quiz show scandal?
NEVER heard of Martin Kane to my knowledge!
The heck is The Aldrich Family?

Yeah. The scandal was centered around that show. The Aldrich Family came to TV from the radio. It was a sitcom, similar to Father Knows Best and The Donna Reed Show.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't know who played Sgt Preston on TV. On the radio, it was Brace Beamer, who also was The Lone Ranger. Incidentally, the Lone Ranger had a nephew named Dan Reid. Dan was the father or grandfather of a 20th Century character on a different program. Anybody recall -?

The program I wanted you to remember was The Green Hornet. The character in it named Kado was played by Bruce Lee.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 09:27 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

Ragman wrote:

I recall Hullabaloo and Shindig! On Shindig often times Bobby Sherman and Paul Revere and the Raiders appeared on those shows. I just learned that, believe it or not, actress Teri Gar was a regular Shindig dancer.

"The series house band, the Shin-diggers (later renamed the Shindogs), featured a young Glen Campbell, Joey Cooper, Chuck Blackwell (drums), Billy Preston, James Burton, Delaney Bramlett, Larry Knechtel (on bass) and pianist Leon Russell.

The Blossoms, an all-female vocal group featuring Darlene Love, backed up many of the performers and were occasionally featured in spotlight performances. The Wellingtons were a trio of male singers who performed on their own and as backup singers. Donna Loren, Jackie DeShannon and Bobby Sherman were also regular vocalists on the series."

Great tidbits Ragman! I'd forgotten all about Shindig.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240305/
Where The Action Is
I wasn't sure but yes, Dick Clark was indeed the host of this show as well as American Bandstand

Who remembers the great Friday night concerts on Midnight Special?
Or Soul, a wonderful live concert series on TBS featuring African American talent?

That's PBS, not TBS. Way before TBS or anything Turner-related.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 09:46 pm
Anybody remember the show "Sha Na Na"?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 09:59 pm
@Roberta,
yup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho-IG0NeDQE

goodnight B.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 10:01 pm
"Stoney Burke" starring Jack Lord long before "Hawaii Five-O."
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 12:44 am

THE GUNS OF PARADISE

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 12:46 am

SCIENCE FICTION THEATER

David
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 02:54 am
@ibstubro,
Yup. Awesome and the host/voice of Fractured Fairy Tales was the ancient movie actor Edward Everett Horton. I think the short episodes often ended in a massive pun/play on words? Some cofusion in my mind whether or not it was to change to Aesop and Son.

Then there was tv-serial based on James Michener's writing called Adventures in Paradise. I think it starred Gardner McKay?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 04:47 am
The Thin Man
Hec Ramsey (Richard Boone)
Dr IQ
Marcus Welby
Dr Kildare
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 05:03 am
The Millionaire
Sky King
jespah

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 06:03 am
@Brandon9000,
Don Kirschner's Rock Concert
djjd62

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 06:19 am
@ibstubro,
ibstubro wrote:

I can't believe we got this far without Dark Shadows, which, I believe is in movie production starring Johnny Depp?

loved Dark Shadows as a kid, i remember i had a bunch of comic books too, Gold Key published them
http://www.darkshadowsonline.com/graphics/gifs/comic1.gif
Gold Key Comic Books
From 1968 to 1976, a comic book series was based losely on the original show. The art wasn't bad, though the characters didn't resemble their TV counterparts; and teh stories were unrelated to the TV plots -- but as a stand-alone DS parallel time series, they're enjoyable. The comic series lasted twice as long as the TV series, ending ten years after the show debuted.
djjd62

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 06:26 am
i loved Hot l Baltimore

Hot l Baltimore was a short-lived 1975 television situation comedy series adapted from the hit off-Broadway play by Lanford Wilson.

The show took place in the Hotel Baltimore in Baltimore, Maryland and drew its title from the cheap establishment's neon marquee, which had a burned-out letter "e" that had never been replaced. The half-hour series premiered January 24, 1975 and was produced by Norman Lear for ABC. (It was, in fact the first Norman Lear property to air on ABC.) The cast included Conchata Ferrell, James Cromwell, Richard Masur, Al Freeman, Jr., Gloria LeRoy, Jeannie Linero, and Charlotte Rae.

The series had several controversial elements, including two primary characters who were prostitutes (one of whom was an illegal immigrant) and one of the first gay couples to be depicted on an American television series. Because of the story lines the show was the first network television show to have a warning at its opening, cautioning viewers about mature themes. The network supported the show and gave it a full publicity campaign, but it failed to win an audience and was canceled after thirteen episodes; its last telecast was June 6, 1975.

This series is notable as the first failure for producer Norman Lear after a very successful streak of mega-hit TV series beginning with All in the Family (1971) and continuing with Sanford and Son, Maude, Good Times and The Jeffersons, among others.

ibstubro

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 07:47 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
The art wasn't bad, though the characters didn't resemble their TV counterparts

Now, Barnabas Collins is recognizable on the cover of the middle comic book in your image.
0 Replies