What TV show do you remember that you believe no one else does?

ibstubro

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 06:31 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Topper

Peyton Place

Flying Nun

Bewitched

I dunno Topper, but Peyton Place held up, even in re-runs.
We really, really liked the Flying Nun. ;-)
Bewitched was simply the best.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 07:25 pm
@ibstubro,
Quote:
Flying Nun

Yes, great sexual tension between the nun and the rich bachelor.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 07:29 pm
@ibstubro,
Topper was about Cosmo Topper who moved into an apartment that used to belong to a deceased couple. They "haunt" the place and interact with Cosmo. I can't remember who played Cosmo.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 07:44 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Topper was about Cosmo Topper who moved into an apartment that used to belong to a deceased couple. They "haunt" the place and interact with Cosmo. I can't remember who played Cosmo.

Topper was Leo G Carroll
The ghosts were Anne Jeffreys and Robert Sterling and they had a ghost dog
Rockhead

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 07:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
who played the dog?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 07:49 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

who played the dog?

Serious banker Cosmo Topper (Leo G. Carroll) and his wife Henrietta (Lee Patrick) move into a new home. Much to Cosmo's dismay, the house is haunted by the previous owners, George (Robert Sterling) and Marion Kirby (Anne Jeffreys). Worse, only Topper could see or hear them.

The Kerbys had died in a skiing accident on their fifth wedding anniversary. Their beloved St Bernard dog Neil (Buck) had tried to rescue them and lost his life in the attempt. Poor Neil had developed a drinking problem with a preference for brandy.

The Kerby's were fun people and they could get away with anything they wanted. Topper's life would have been very boring without them.

Anne Jeffreys and Robert Sterling were married in real life.
Passings

Leo G. Carroll died in 1972 of cancer, and Lee Patrick in 1982 of heart problems. In 2006 Robert Sterling died after a long battle with shingles.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 07:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Leo G Carroll, of course! I recognized the name as soon as I saw your post. I now remember the dog as well.
0 Replies

childof1truegod

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 07:50 pm
@Intrepid,
I have to agree! ;~P
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 07:53 pm
The only successful role I can remember for Jerry Van Dyke was his part in Coach, with Craig T Nelson and Shelly Fabares.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
He was good in that.
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:51 pm
@Green Witch,
Sally Fields, awards show, "You LIKE me! You really REALLY LIKE me!"
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:52 pm
Does anyone remember a show called "Dr. Hennessey"?

I was in grade school and my dad worked for the company who sponsored the show in Mexico, and he was excited about them finally sponsoring a TV show.
So we all in the family sat in front of the TV set, watched that absolute bore (and the awful, badly lit commercials), I tried to laugh hard once or twice but I'm sure my dad knew I was faking.

Dr Hennessey had a run of exactly two episodes down here, and I want to suppose that the Advertising Manager got fired.

0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Did this end up as Beetlejuice?

I love that movie! Topper is not very available today?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:10 pm
@ibstubro,
ibstubro wrote:

Did this end up as Beetlejuice?

I love that movie! Topper is not very available today?

Sorry. I did not see that movie.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:28 pm
I thought I would scoop everybody with 77 Sunset Strip, or Life of Riley but I think EB got there first. I think I can only add a few that may not have been mentioned, but I loved "The Loretta Young Hour/Show", couldn't wait to see what glamourous gown she would be wearing as she swept into the room. There was also "September Bride" and I don't remember much but I think the star's name was Spring Byington???? Of course there was "Soupy Sales" and we cant forget the Milton Berle show, it would start with 5 guys in gas station uniforms, hats and all singing "We are the men from Texaco we work from Maine to Mexico" somebody else might remember the rest of the intro. Wasn't there also a "Gail Storm Show"?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:30 pm
There was a TV show starring Jackie Cooper, called Hennesy. I believe Abby Dalton was the name of the actress who played the head nurse. He played a US Navy doctor. The only episode I saw of it was not a comedy. It featured Bobby Darin as a malingerer, who wanted nothing more than to be released from duty, because he wanted to resume his singing career. In the end, he came around and became willing to serve out his hitch. They ended the episode with Darin singing his version of Mack the Knife.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:32 pm
I almost forgot, The Tonight Show with Steve Allen (smock smock) and crap, I forgot the name of the comic who had a very offbeat show...he did characters like "Percy Dovetonsils", The Nairobi Trio, oh I remember it was Ernie Kovacs. Definitily made me laugh at a very young age and my Dad liked it too. Poor Ernie, he died too young.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:33 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I thought I would scoop everybody with 77 Sunset Strip, or Life of Riley but I think EB got there first. I think I can only add a few that may not have been mentioned, but I loved "The Loretta Young Hour/Show", couldn't wait to see what glamourous gown she would be wearing as she swept into the room. There was also "September Bride" and I don't remember much but I think the star's name was Spring Byington???? Of course there was "Soupy Sales" and we cant forget the Milton Berle show, it would start with 5 guys in gas station uniforms, hats and all singing "We are the men from Texaco we work from Maine to Mexico" somebody else might remember the rest of the intro. Wasn't there also a "Gail Storm Show"?

Gail Storm had two series: My Little Margie and Oh Suzannah.
Spring Bride did star Spring Byington. Harry Morgan, who played Col Potter in M*A*S*H* also appeared in it.
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:48 pm
Poor, poor Red Skelton, to have been left this long into the discussion! He was a GENIUS!

Freeloader. Pigeons. All ages thought him hilarious!
roger

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:52 pm
@ibstubro,
Yeah. Freddie the Freeloader. Can't remember his other characters.