What TV show do you remember that you believe no one else does?

ibstubro

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 07:50 am
@djjd62,
EXCELLENT post! True to the intent of the original question.

I've enjoyed the trip down memory lane as much as anyone, but it's great to see someone else single out an obscure TV show that they remember, enjoyed, and fear lost to the general population!

I believe I remember some of the hype around Hot l Baltimore, and I certainy remember it being a popular play, but I don't believe I ever saw it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:03 am
@jespah,
Oh yeah!!!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 04:13 pm
Trying to remember that name of the show that went with the commercial. I think it was a Saturday morning show.

The commercial--Buster Brown shoes. I'm Buster Brown. I live in a shoe. That's my dog Tige. He lives there too.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 04:18 pm
@Roberta,
I remember Buster Brown shoes - they were the shops that xrayed your feetsies with a photofluorograph machine. I slightly remember the shoes. But, alas, not the show.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 04:21 pm
Buster Brown Shoes were the advertisers for the show that had Froggy the Gremlin and Midnight the cat. (Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy)
There were two or three incarnations of it. The last featured Andy Divine and it was called something like Andy's Playhouse. I will try to check it out more.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 04:23 pm
http://michelesworld.net/dmm/frog/gremlin/gremlin.htm
Here is a link to The Buster Brown Show
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 04:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buster_Brown#Television

Radio

This began in 1943 with Smilin' Ed McConnell on the West Coast NBC Radio Network. It included such characters as Froggy the Gremlin, ("Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy!") Also Midnight the cat," What do you say to the kids Midnight--"Nice"".

Television

McConnell moved the show to television in 1951, where it ran for three years. Andy Devine took over after McConnell's death.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 05:59 pm
@djjd62,
All Midnight ever had to say was, "Nice."
Froggy the Gremlin had more lines than that. He would say, "Hi ya kids. Hi ya, hi ya, hi ya." Then he would engage in a word skit with the show's host.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 06:03 pm
Dennis the Menace

Goodnight Beantown
Bill Bixby
Marriette Hartley
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 06:47 pm
The Gong Show

Then Came Bronson

The Magician
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Imagine a time that they X-rayed your feet to check the fit or your shoes!

Today the dental assistant lays a lead apron on you and stands on the other side of the room to give you a dose that's likely 1/100th as potent.

Rot, row, I might derail my own question?

I'm gonna post on the subject.
ibstubro

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
(Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy)

Someone, please tell me this is not so! lol

Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:08 pm
@ibstubro,
Yeh, I knew to call them photofluorographs because I was the "xray tech" who took the same kind of fluorographs on my first job back in the late fifties. Yes, I wore a lead apron.
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:15 pm
"Evening Shade". 1990-94

Outstanding cast, including Burt Reynolds, Marilu Henner, Michael Jeter, and Charles Durning.

Great ensemble cast with little plot and great dialogue.
eoe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:27 pm
@ibstubro,
Another show that I loved. Remember the episode when the Charles Durning character gave dancing lessons to Michael Jeter? First, and I'm ashamed to admit it now, but I wasn't familiar with Durning's dance background and was astounded that such a roly-poly could be so light on his feet. Jackie Gleason was one thing but Charles Durning moved like a man not even half his size. Second, the Bugsby Berkley camera work was such a hoot.

Who was the husky-voiced woman on the show? I think she played an aunt.Used to be hot stuff back in the day.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 08:42 pm
@eoe,
Wasn't that Elizabeth Ashley?

Michael Jeter. Didn't he win a Tony?
eoe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:25 pm
@ehBeth,
That's her. Elizabeth Ashley. And if he didn't win a Tony, Michael Jeter certainly deserved one. Loved him in Evening Shade but he stole the show in The Fisher King. "Why can't I be Katherine Hepburn! Like in Summertime?"

He must have been something to see on stage.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:52 pm
@ibstubro,
Reynolds himself was a funny guy. I say this because I saw a show with him and Alex Karris, a football player who was also funny, carrying on together on the Carson show, clearly ad lib. Well, I thought they were funny back then. I remember liking Durning. Never saw the Evening Shade show.
eoe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 09:57 pm
@ossobuco,
You're right. Burt Reynolds is a funny guy.

Has anyone mentioned Your Living Doll? Or was it My Living Doll with the magnificent Julie Newmar. Can't remember the male lead. Was it Bob Cummings?
Intrepid

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:04 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

You're right. Burt Reynolds is a funny guy.

Has anyone mentioned Your Living Doll? Or was it My Living Doll with the magnificent Julie Newmar. Can't remember the male lead. Was it Bob Cummings?

It was My Living Doll and you are correct in that it was Bob Cummings.