What TV show do you remember that you believe no one else does?

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:26 pm
How about The Time Machine with Moondoggy, James Darren from the Gidget movies? Or Land of the Giants?
jespah

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 05:25 am
@eoe,
Oh I loved those, thought all of the huge pencils, etc. were amazing special effects. They went along with a Richard Basehart sub show.
eoe

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 07:25 am
@jespah,
Right! What was the name of that show?
It was Saturday night when all of this came on, right? The whole science fiction block of shows. Or was it Sunday night, before the big movie? On Saturday, my house would have collapsed if Mama and I didn't watch Let's Make A Deal.

Wow. Network TV used to be really, really great.
jespah

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 07:46 am
@eoe,
Had to look it up: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Oh, I loved David Hedison.

You and I should get together some time and watch old sci-fi.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 09:07 am
@Intrepid,
OMG, that reminds me of the "Bob Cummings Show" or "Love that Bob."

He was professional photographer, former AF pilot, bachelor and skirt-chaser. Lots of people spun off that show. Dwayne Hickman (Dobie Gillis)
"The series stars Cummings as a dashing young Hollywood photographer, Air Force reserve officer, and ladies' man, Bob Collins. The character's interest in aviation and photography mirrored Cummings' own in real life, with his character's name the same as the role he played in You Came Along (1945). The series also stars Rosemary DeCamp.

The Bob Cummings Show was important in the development of several careers. Its creator, producer and head writer was Paul Henning, later producer of major 1960s hits such as The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, and Green Acres. Regulars in the show included Ann B. Davis, who twice won Emmy Awards for playing "Schultzy". Henning apparently remembered cast members Nancy Kulp and Joi Lansing favorably, as both had roles on The Beverly Hillbillies, Miss Kulp as Miss Hathaway (secretary to banker Milburn Drysdale- a character similar to the one she appeared as- "Pamela Livingston"- on Cummings' show) and Miss Lansing as Gladys.

Perhaps the biggest career boost was received by young Dwayne Hickman, a student at Loyola University in Los Angeles, who appeared as Bob's nephew and became a favorite with young women in the audience. After The Bob Cummings Show ended, he was cast as the lead in The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis."

that brings up ...

This will surprise many Betty Whites's first national TVshow :
"Life with Elizabeth" circa 1954-1956

And then there's ....

"The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, Dwayne Hickman as Dobie , Bob Denver as Maynard G. Krebbs

"You'll Never Get Rich" with Phil Silvers
December Bride, Harry Korgan (Col Potter in MASH)
Pete and Gladys, Harry Morgan

eoe

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 09:19 am
I do remember December Bride. Very Happy
Ragman

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:19 pm
@eoe,
good show. but quite dated by now.

This comedy-current events social commentary show starred new-to-USA-shores David Frost. It preceded Laugh-In by 5 yrs and featured so many big talents and had some amazingly funny skits and songs. That Was the Week That Was (or TW3).

Tom Lehrer, lyricist-pianist, was an amzing talent whose works included The Vatican Rag, Poisoning Pigeons in the Park, and song of Table of Chemical Elements (sung to the tune of the Major-General's song of Pirates of Penzance. )

Those stars include, David Frost, Steve Allen, Tom Leherer, Buck Henry,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057789/

"An American version of TW3 was on NBC, initially as a pilot episode on 10 November 1963, then as a series from 10 January 1964, to May 1965. The pilot featured Henry Fonda and Henry Morgan, guests Mike Nichols and Elaine May, and supporting performers including Gene Hackman. The recurring cast included Frost, Morgan, Buck Henry and Alan Alda, with Nancy Ames singing the opening song; regular contributors included Gloria Steinem, Tom Lehrer and Calvin Trillin. The announcer was Jerry Damon. Also a guest was Woody Allen, performing stand-up comedy; the guest star on the final broadcast was Steve Allen. A running gag on this version of the show was a mock feud with Jack Paar, whose own program followed TW3 on the NBC Friday schedule; Paar would repeatedly refer to TW3 as "Henry Morgan's Amateur Hour." After the series' cancellation, Lehrer recorded a collection of his songs used on the show, That Was The Year That Was, released by Reprise Records in September 1965."
ibstubro

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 07:02 pm
@Ragman,
@Ragman:
Quote:

This will surprise many Betty Whites's first national TVshow :
"Life with Elizabeth" circa 1954-1956

I believe I have this series on DVD from the dollar store, and if I'm not mistaken, it was WAY over priced! I was excited to get it, being a huge Betty fan since, at least, Sue Ann Nivens. The show was, in my opinion, unwatchable with her just sitting that saying inanities to the camera. Thank goodness they didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater!
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 07:22 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
That Was the Week That Was (or TW3).

Is there video of this show? It's got to be amazing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 09:36 pm
My Three Sons
Perry Mason
McCloud
Quincy
Suspense
D ick Powel - Zane Grey Theater
Hogan's Heroes
McMillan and Wife
Sanford and Son
The Real McCoys
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:01 pm
"A Family Affair" with Brian Keith
eoe

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:17 pm
@mysteryman,
Loved it. With Buffy and Jodi and Sissy and MR. FRENCH!
And Mrs. Beasley the doll.
mysteryman

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:21 pm
@eoe,
The girl that played Buffy died of a drug overdose in Oceanside, Ca. just a few houses down from me.
I remember seeing the cop cars and the ambulancde, but we had no idea who had died till it was reported on the local radio station that afternoon.
We never knew she was living there at the time.
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 07:52 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
"A Family Affair" with Brian Keith

One of our favorites as kids, too.

Oddly enough, Jody and Cissy are still alive but inactive. Cissy had a couple of roles in the late 90's, early 00's but nothing to speak of. I had thought Johnny Whitaker long dead.
jespah

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 08:04 am
@ibstubro,
Cissy (Kathy Garver) was a member of my sorority (different chapter). There's a new wave song about Buffy's death, called Buffy Come Back.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 08:09 am
Fox had a show in the 90's called, Good Grief, i believe

if i remember correctly, Howie Mandell married a girl who's parents owned a funeral parlour, it was a pretty decent show, one episode dealt with funeral procedures and HIV/AIDS, with their funeral home being the only one in the area that would handle the body
djjd62

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 08:12 am
@djjd62,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Grief_(TV_series)

Good Grief is a 1990 Fox television sitcom that aired for one season of 13 episodes.

The show was about a funeral home run by straight-laced Warren Pepper (Joel Brooks), his sister Debbie (Wendy Schaal), and her flamboyant husband Ernie Lapidus (Howie Mandel), who was determined to "put the 'fun' back in 'funeral.'" Tom Poston and Sheldon Feldner played assistants Ringo Prowley and Raoul, respectively.
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 08:17 am
@djjd62,
Good post...I never heard of it.

Not listed NNDB.

Good Grief is a 1990 Fox television sitcom that aired for one season of 13 episodes.

The show was about a funeral home run by straight-laced Warren Pepper (Joel Brooks), his sister Debbie (Wendy Schaal), and her flamboyant husband Ernie Lapidus (Howie Mandel), who was determined to "put the 'fun' back in 'funeral.'" Tom Poston and Sheldon Feldner played assistants Ringo Prowley and Raoul, respectively.
djjd62

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 08:49 am
@ibstubro,
after i checked wiki i realized Howie was married to the sister of the funeral director

one line i remember from the HIV/AIDS episode, Howie says something like, "I think i would have made a pretty good gay guy, i have an impeccable sense of style and i love musical theatre"
ibstubro

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 09:02 am
@djjd62,
unfortunately you were talking to yourself the same time I was talking to you. lol ;-)

it sounds like a cool series...probably out on DVD somewhere at a dollar store.
0 Replies