I am not insane and there is nothing wrong with me! Hurrah!

Intrepid

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 05:23 am
Chaie2 wrote to Pentacle Queen:
Quote:
but, I have read much more of what you have had to say, over time.

whether you agree me me or not, I've always thought of you as a self-important, silly girl, who needs to get over herself.

Doesn't mean I care about you one way or the other, I truly don't. It's just an observation from reading your posts, over time.

Funny, this is how I viewed Chai2.

Irony, thy name is Chai.
Laughing
JTT

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:20 am
@chai2,
Quote:
That's mostly because I've figured out I'm not important at all.

I don't think that's true, Chai. You took a very big step some years ago precisely because you knew you were important enough to not continue destroying what you saw should be an important life.

You're not insane either and in the overall scheme of things there is nothing wrong with you.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Intrepid

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:24 am
@JTT,
What would you know about backbone?
Below viewing threshold (view)
Mame

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:21 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Sounds to me, PQ, that you've just had a real connection (with a male) and you're excited that it's possible again, in which case, bravo.

You're young and chances are you're hanging out with young people. Many haven't developed an interest or interests similar to yours at that age, so it doesn't surprise me that you haven't previously found it. But now you have, so you have cause to anticipate that. Good for you.

As for being self-important and silly, I wouldn't have said that, but I think most of us felt (and some still feel) self-important at some time. In fact, I think we're all born that way and have to have it taught out of us (being made to share, think of others and their feelings, etc).

I remember questioning and analyzing everything at your age, and really can't say I came to any definitive answers or solutions, other than that most of it no longer matters to me Smile I eventually became exhausted and just came to accept that I don't need (and can't) know the answers to everything Smile

I remember my most constant question was "Why don't people just tell the truth?" and came to realize that that's not always a productive, constructive thing to do. I still prefer honesty, mind you, but accept there are as many reasons as there are people as to why we're not always honest.

Anyway, PQ... good going forward.

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 10:14 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

and here I am again.

Could it be at that time, there was nothing else that interested me? Looked like there was some pretty slim pickings at that moment, while I was waiting for the dye on my hair to process.
The reason for my last post, Honestly? I had red dye on my head, and the office in my house seemed like a better place to sit, than in a upholstered chair in my living room.

Now? I just woke up, and I'm on my first sip of coffee, and don't feel like thinking.

I stand by what I said.
At 22, it's normal to be silly and self important.

At 51, I'm very silly. That's mostly because I've figured out I'm not important at all.

So, you're silly too, and most 22 year olds are silly, and you're silly because you've realised you're not important at all and I'm silly because I am apparently convinced of my own importance. And this waste of time was caused by hair dye and apathy about using one's noodle.
Nice attempt to mildly backtrack.
You know I don't really terribly mind you saying I'm silly, just give me some pointers or use something to back your argument up!
Although... if you're a self-named un-intellectual I suppose that's something you don't need to do Wink

Hmm. For the record, I don't think that I'm important. I completely and utterly realise that I am an insignificant bit of carbon etc etc but the point is that this doesn't make any emotions less real or any sudden perceptions less vivid (to me).

Although, maybe: having any interest in developing yourself relies on self importance since without self importance there would be self-inspired need to critique your own opinions or seek any form of 'furtherment'.
What the hell even is self-importance?
I would have originally classed it as 'feeling more important than others' but maybe 'degree of attention to one's own mental narrative and life progression' may be more accurate, in which case I definitely fit into the latter category, but... (of course!) blurry lines...

What do you come on A2K to do, Chai?

p.s. what is 'silly'?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 10:17 pm
silly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w

life's short. enjoy the ride.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 10:19 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Sounds to me, PQ, that you've just had a real connection (with a male) and you're excited that it's possible again, in which case, bravo.

You're young and chances are you're hanging out with young people. Many haven't developed an interest or interests similar to yours at that age, so it doesn't surprise me that you haven't previously found it. But now you have, so you have cause to anticipate that. Good for you.

As for being self-important and silly, I wouldn't have said that, but I think most of us felt (and some still feel) self-important at some time. In fact, I think we're all born that way and have to have it taught out of us (being made to share, think of others and their feelings, etc).

I remember questioning and analyzing everything at your age, and really can't say I came to any definitive answers or solutions, other than that most of it no longer matters to me Smile I eventually became exhausted and just came to accept that I don't need (and can't) know the answers to everything Smile

I remember my most constant question was "Why don't people just tell the truth?" and came to realize that that's not always a productive, constructive thing to do. I still prefer honesty, mind you, but accept there are as many reasons as there are people as to why we're not always honest.

Anyway, PQ... good going forward.

Thanks, mame: yeah I'm pleased too.
Although, please don't think I think I am going to find any answers, it's all propulsion towards the cliff face (death/meaningless) so far as I'm concerned.
I seriously consider this form of thought more of a form of mental masturbation than anything else, still, if that's the way your brain wants to work then let it... I mean, i'm not really actually even in control of it unless I turn buddhist or something. It just 'does itself'.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 09:40 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Hmm. I just read this thread again, out of interest. It wasn't quite as naive as I remembered it being.

So.. I'm now living 7000 miles away from him, but for the last three months we've been emailing/calling each other everyday. He's moved out of his ex girlfriends flat and got his own place, and in four months I'm moving back and I'll go and see him and stay a while and see how things go. Working in a foreign country at the minute, so trying not to idealise the home situation too much, trying to live in the present, although this is kind of hard when his conversation is so much more interesting than anyone here's and I have no ******* books.

Yeah, mame, he's 9 years older than me, I think that's what maybe made the difference, he sort of made a deeper cut.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 10:57 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
I have no ******* books
You seriously need to invest in a Kindle...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 11:43 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Where the heck are you, pq? And no books???? What???? I would die! How about newspapers or magazines? Good Lord - it's impossible to have a decent outlook on life and reality without books!

As for him and the rest of it, go with the flow, be in the present, like you said in August... no expectations = no disappointments. You'll always still have you, right?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 12:06 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
Anyway, this is a little bit of a non-post so sorry for those wanting a high level of entertainment. I'm just glad I've discovered it IS possible to really like people, they're just a bit rare. Smile
Yes; I was very fond of General Augusto Pinochet,
for his good work, tho we never met.

Its too late now.

David
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 04:46 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Where the heck are you, pq? And no books???? What???? I would die! How about newspapers or magazines? Good Lord - it's impossible to have a decent outlook on life and reality without books!

As for him and the rest of it, go with the flow, be in the present, like you said in August... no expectations = no disappointments. You'll always still have you, right?

Well, ok, slight exaggeration. I own about 5 books. I'm in Hong Kong; it's not like they're unavailable, more like inaccessible since I can't afford them as I'm trying to save to go traveling on my way back to the UK. PLUS, the sort of books I need are textbooks, not books that you can find easily. Using up reams of paper at work by printing off essays is currently keeping me going.

Yeah, trying not to form any set expectations. I do have quite an awesome plan B lined up anyway Smile
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 04:58 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

Mame wrote:

Well, ok, slight exaggeration. I own about 5 books.

I'm in Hong Kong
Have u tried that rotating restaurant above the Hopewell Center ?

It yields beautiful views at night.
I liked the food.

Do u know it?

Is the Star Ferry running ?

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 05:58 pm
Thanks for the update, PQ.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 07:34 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
more like inaccessible since I can't afford them
Both problems are solved with a kindle, as books are free for a short amount of time. My wife has hundreds of free books saved that she has not had time to read yet, and my daughter who is pre-med has dozens of free text books saved. A couple hundred bucks is all you need to solve this problem fully. If you have a birthday coming up ask the parents or other loved ones. Seriously...you do realize that this is 2011 yes? You sound like some out of it middle aged person...
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
more like inaccessible since I can't afford them
Both problems are solved with a kindle, as books are free for a short amount of time. My wife has hundreds of free books saved that she has not had time to read yet, and my daughter who is pre-med has dozens of free text books saved. A couple hundred bucks is all you need to solve this problem fully. If you have a birthday coming up ask the parents or other loved ones. Seriously...you do realize that this is 2011 yes? You sound like some out of it middle aged person...

Like I say. I just don't think you can get stuff like Nick Cook's Analysing Musical Multimedia on a kindle. My friend's got one, the free books she gets are stuff like Jane Austen.
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:12 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Almost all my deep texts are NOT available on e-books (Unless I have a grad student scan them and then post em up (which is against copywright law)on a web site)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2011 08:28 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:
Like I say. I just don't think you can get stuff like Nick Cook's Analysing Musical Multimedia on a kindle. My friend's got one, the free books she gets are stuff like Jane Austen.
about two weeks ago they had a loads of great pre-med books free for 72 hours, and this is a regular thing. You can save something like 1000 books, and until you run out of room you keep them. Presumably over time this benefit get cut, but for right now it is great. Both of my college girls, one pre med the other business, have and love their kindle.
0 Replies