Is Glenn Beck preparing to run for president?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:05 pm
@Rockhead,
Palin is their master with a PhD in "how to rile the public."
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:08 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
No, he has not been at it a long time
He has been on a steady roll for a decade. Ever since he got clean up, found his wife, and found his church he has seldom made a significant misstep. What does it take to get you to take a guy seriously?
plainoldme

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yawn
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:20 pm
@Rockhead,
Somehow, hawkeye's answer to my posting beck's biographical snippets doesn't match. But, when is hawkeye able to keep up?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
Never mind. You just don't get it. As I said, he adopted his current persona after he converted to Mormonism, that famous American cult.

Found his wife? Found his church? Why couldn't he have made a go of it with his first wife? You're the one that disapproves of divorce. If he were a real man, he would have stuck it out with number one, in your book. Besides, can you tell the difference between a Mormon and a Scientologist? One cult or the other, same difference, same will to dominance.

Really, why are you so hot and bothered over a man you recognize as a huckster? He's just another ex-druggie, another ex-drunk, now feeling superior to everyone else.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:35 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Really, why are you so hot and bothered over a man you recognize as a huckster? He's just another ex-druggie, another ex-drunk, now feeling superior to everyone else.
In ten years he has gone from having nothing to being extremely wealthy and influential. In 15 years he has gone from being a mess to being and having all that. He is an all American success story, of the oldest American tradition. And yet here you are all pissy about it, discounting it, BECAUSE OF WHERE HE CAME FROM??!! WTF? Obviously you dont believe in traditional America standards of success, do you also not believe in traditional American spiritual aspirations for transformation? You seem to live a very shallow and empty existence.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
he's a liar.

and we're done...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 10:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
View for example the fact that none of them had seen or would believe that Beck had called Obama a racist - though he clearly had.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from, Cy. Some people get a crazy notion in their head and nothing this side of heaven can dislodge it.
JTT

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 10:03 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
As he spoke, two Native Americans

Woiyo was there?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 10:20 pm
Quote:
Doubtless it marks me out as a member of the uncomprehending godless elite, but I find the popularity of Glenn Beck very hard to understand. Sarah Palin's popularity, I think I do understand. However much of an illusion it may be -- all politicians deal in illusions -- she projects an appealing, proud, self-sufficient ordinariness that makes her a credible spokesman for many Americans. Beck sets himself up not as a spokesman so much as an inspirational teacher and guide, blackboard and all. There he stands, with the answer to everything, gravely propounding his theories of life, the universe and everything that surrounds it. Wrapped up in his own psychodrama, his self-regard seems limitless.

He strikes me as a huckster drunk on his own pitch, a true believer in his own cult, ready to hurtle off the rails at any moment -- and all of this seems obvious. Yet he, not Palin, was very much the star of the rally in DC on Saturday. They love the guy.

And so many of them. It is a sign of something I suppose that the National Park Service no longer does head-counts for events like this. (They were accused of deliberately understating the turn-out for the Million Man March in 1995. No doubt they would have been accused of bigotry if they had tendered a disrespectfully large number for Beck's event.) Reports cautiously said tens of thousands. It looked like 250,000. A huge area of the Mall was packed.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/08/glenn-becks-strange-appeal/62205/

Another one who fails to get it because he is focused on Beck, is trying in all seriousless to figure him out, when Beck is just out there on the stage doing the old shuck and jive for attention and profit. What he should be focused on is the audience, on what it is that they are so hungry for and how it ever came to be Beck who fulfills their needs when in a more healthy time it would have been a real politician or priest.. instead of this career showman.

But then we knew that we were in trouble when Rush became a leader of the Republican party, as a result of his shtick, right?
JTT

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 10:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
According to you, Hawk, he's a huckster and [H]e is an all American success story, of the oldest American tradition.

Sounds rather tawdry but who are we to argue with success. It seems that there is way more than one sucker born every minute. This guy, stupid as he is, is prime Republican pres material.

The comedians must be saying, "Please, please make this joker president. I won't even need writers, the jokes will flow like a Spring freshet.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 10:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Thursday, June 03, 2010

GLENN BECK, SINCERE HUCKSTER-LUNATIC

In a fascinating interview with Beck biographer Alexander Zaitchik, David Weigel asks a simple question and gets a complicated answer:

This is the question I hear liberals most often ask about Beck: Is he doing this for money, or does he believe this stuff? You seem to come down in the middle, and argue that he's a huckster, but he's also dim enough to believe that, say, ACORN is at the root of all evil.

His main motivations are, and have always been, money and fame. If Beck has a true religion, it's not Patriotism. It's not Mormonism. It's cross-platform self-marketing.

The one constant in his life has been enormous ambition. His business and brand will never be big or successful enough --hence the new projects never stop coming.

(For a lot of readers, that's going to be the takeaway -- Beck's a phony. But read on:)

But I don't think Beck's self-image as a businessman is at odds with his beliefs about religion and politics. He doesn't know enough about the world to understand why his grand-unified theory of a 100-year progressive plot is a laughingstock outside of his own TV and radio studios. I think he actually believes God wants him to make all this money and fight dirty for right wing causes. Does he really believe God is speaking to and through him? I don't know. But in one of his books, he describes Heaven as a place where everybody "can make as much money as they want," and he does believe that God basically wrote the Constitution in 1787.

The mistake Beck's critics often make is to say, "Okay, so if his main self-identity is as a media and entertainment mogul, then everything else is just an act." There's no need to choose just one door. On his worldview's own terms, there's no contradiction between his enormous success, his entertainment toolbox, and his bat-in-the-bell tower politics. What's shocking to me is how completely his fans swallow the "selfless patriot" act. It’s like they're deaf and blind to the way his tearful civic-activist shtick feeds directly into the business, indeed is the business. What's happening, I think, is that Beck thinks God approves of his manipulations, and his fans are willing to suspend their disbelief and give him a pass because, they too, think Beck is ultimately doing God's work. The whole thing is arguably the most elaborate Kabuki theater on view on the right today.

I think that's just about as close as anyone's going to get to the right answer.

http://nomoremister.blogspot.com/2010/06/glenn-beck-sincere-huckster-lunatic-in.html
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 10:45 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
The comedians must be saying, "Please, please make this joker president. I won't even need writers, the jokes will flow like a Spring freshet
Beck would never have any interest in that. That would be, you know, a JOB. And it pays terrible, and it is for four ******* years which is way too long, and frankly it is not all that much fun.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 08:47 am
@hawkeye10,
How does beck measure up to traditional standards of American success? He has done nothing constructive. Traditional standards of American success involve inventing or making tangibles or streamlining existing processes. Henry Ford comes to mind.

A 23-year-old coworker, who is trying to arrange a proposal to his girlfriend of four years, asked me what I would major in were I of his generation, just starting out. (His girlfriend has a master's degree and is light years above him in looks and class.) I did not want to tell him that, for me, now as when I was 18, college is not about finding work to make oneself wealthy but about intellectual development.

An education is supposed to make one a better person and that is the goal I pursued through three degrees, not becoming rich.

You wrote this about me:

Obviously you dont believe in traditional America standards of success, do you also not believe in traditional American spiritual aspirations for transformation? You seem to live a very shallow and empty existence.

If you think that the sort of success beck has attained is anything other than shallow, you probably should . . . I so want to say something really nasty but won't . . . so, I will say, rethink everything you ever thought.

First of all, what is spiritual about beck? He has simply repackaged old saws in stadium sized presentations, which is exactly what Hitler did.

Secondly, his ranting is theatrical rather than intellectual. His goal was never mine. Beck was given an opportunity to educate himself but could not stay with the package presented him. If anything shows shallowness, that does. The man can not stick with an external requirement.

Third, beck rapes and robs as readily as bernie madoff did. Or, any other American huckster on Wall Street or in a corporate boardroom.

I chose the left/liberal path precisely because it is about human evolution and intellectualism and solving problems and not because it is about prostitution, the path beck chose.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 08:50 am
@JTT,
here is just one of many references to beck having called obama a racist:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/29/glenn-beck-regrets-callin_n_698580.html
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 08:53 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Beck would never have any interest in that. That would be, you know, a JOB. And it pays terrible, and it is for four ******* years which is way too long, and frankly it is not all that much fun.

That is as succinct a statement of what it wrong with glenn beck as can be made.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 11:59 pm
http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/thu-august-26-2010-richard-engel
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Beck biographer Alexander Zaitchik

Why would any sane individual waste their time thinking, let alone writing about G Beck?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:04 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Why would any sane individual waste their time thinking, let alone writing about G Beck?
Because he is extremely good at what he does, and Americans tend to be interested in successful people.

In Alexander Zaitchik's case one assumes that he wrote his attack titled "common nonsense" out of both economic and political considerations.
JTT

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
and Americans tend to be interested in successful people.

The more vacuous they are, the more interest it engenders. Often, they even elect the vacuous to high office, though it would be unfair if I didn't point out that this mannerism, this affection for stupidity/vacuous seems to reside more than less with Repubs/conservatives.