Is Glenn Beck preparing to run for president?

plainoldme

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:25 pm
@Foofie,
But Bess was beautiful and the war was over. Germany was vanquished. If Ms. Myerson had won earlier in the decade, you might have had reasons for your speculations. Now, you really do not.
Foofie

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:31 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

But Bess was beautiful and the war was over. Germany was vanquished. If Ms. Myerson had won earlier in the decade, you might have had reasons for your speculations. Now, you really do not.

After the war, there was concern over a "resurgence of Naziism." With Ms. Myerson's winning, it could have also been a message to Germany that we make Jewish women beauty pageant winners, will they hunt Jews for extermination. The inference being we Americans might just be too different to "fool with," if they made an effort to have a resurgence of Naziism.
JTT

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:35 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
After the war, there was concern over a "resurgence of Naziism."

Boogeymen, to whip the American people into a frenzy, perish the thought.

Quote:

With Ms. Myerson's winning, it could have also been a message to Germany that we make Jewish women beauty pageant winners, will they hunt Jews for extermination. The inference being we Americans might just be too different to "fool with," if they made an effort to have a resurgence of Naziism.

A rigged beauty pageant, Foofie? Well, it's certainly not out of the question as much worse things have been done.
Foofie

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:39 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

A rigged beauty pageant, Foofie? Well, it's certainly not out of the question as much worse things have been done.

All things being equal amongst contestants, Ms. Myerson's winning was a good message to ex-Nazis - we make Jews beauty contest winners, while youse guys hunt them for extermination. We Americans may be too different to chance another war with us.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:44 pm
@Foofie,
Science fiction.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 09:48 pm
@Foofie,
I kinda think that ex-Nazis were trying to make themselves as 'ex' as possible. I doubt that there was any great desire among any of them to carry on with Hitler's plans of any kind.

But I will allow that it is another one of your well thought out theories, Foofie.

It's also a little ironic that talk of Nazis should come up on a Glenn Beck thread.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 09:55 pm
You could just as easily say that Myerson, because she was the first to receive a scholarship and the first college grad to be crowned Miss America, was selected by the pageant officials to point women on a new path, toward higher education.
Sentience

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 12:51 am
I want Sarah Palin to run, just so that we have a hope beyond hope of not having a right winger after Obama's meh performance. Change will come... eventually... when it does... on it's own time...
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:31 am
@Sentience,
A run by Sarah Palin will be a good thing, because she will split the GOP in half.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:39 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I kinda think that ex-Nazis were trying to make themselves as 'ex' as possible. I doubt that there was any great desire among any of them to carry on with Hitler's plans of any kind.

But I will allow that it is another one of your well thought out theories, Foofie.

It's also a little ironic that talk of Nazis should come up on a Glenn Beck thread.

There was a concern about a resurgence of Naziism, even though ex-Nazis were trying to avoid the Soviets. The U.S. had an American Bund party that was still being watched.
Foofie

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:40 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

You could just as easily say that Myerson, because she was the first to receive a scholarship and the first college grad to be crowned Miss America, was selected by the pageant officials to point women on a new path, toward higher education.

A nice simple, in my opinion, explanation. I see shadows that others might not see.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 10:10 am
@Foofie,
Americans are so paranoid they watch everything, Foofie. How come you're avoiding that other thread?
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:11 pm
A Beck/Palin ticket would be too dangerous. These dumb hillbilly republicans elected Bush twice, don’t think it’s not possible for the rednecks to vote these two in.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:16 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
These dumb hillbilly republicans elected Bush twice, don’t think it’s not possible for the rednecks to vote these two in.
The majority of the country is leaning republican right now, about double the number of people self identify as republican than as do Democrat......are you sure that you want to insult the majority of your fellow citzens? How is that going to help you personally, or help you to promote your world view??
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:17 pm
@jcboy,
What will really happen if Beck/Palin runs is the GOP will lose. They'll split the party in half, and nobody can win with half the conservative votes.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
These dumb hillbilly republicans elected Bush twice, don’t think it’s not possible for the rednecks to vote these two in.
The majority of the country is leaning republican right now, about double the number of people self identify as republican than as do Democrat......are you sure that you want to insult the majority of your fellow citzens? How is that going to help you personally, or help you to promote your world view??

That's a total ******* lie, bro. You just made that up.

http://www.pollster.com/polls/us/party-id.php

Independent 37.4%
Democrat 32.2%
Republican 25.3%

You're full of ****, as usual. YOU are the one insulting your fellow citizens.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
That's a total ******* lie, bro. You just made that up.
no, but I did misremember, the break down was between conservative, liberal and moderate..

Quote:
PRINCETON, NJ -- Thus far in 2009, 40% of Americans interviewed in national Gallup Poll surveys describe their political views as conservative, 35% as moderate, and 21% as liberal
http://www.gallup.com/poll/120857/conservatives-single-largest-ideological-group.aspx

Edit: and the trend is towards conservative, which normally helps the GOP more than the DEMS

Quote:
By Jamelle Bouie 6/25/10 12:11 PM According to new numbers from Gallup, more than four in ten Americans describe themselves as conservative, significantly more than the 35 percent who describe themselves as moderate, and more than double the 20 percent who describe themselves as liberal. If this holds for the rest of the year, the 42 percent of self-identified conservatives would be a record high for Gallup in its nearly 20 years of asking the question, which seems to hint at a conservative revival
http://washingtonindependent.com/88453/a-plurality-of-americans-self-identify-as-conservative-whats-new
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
That was a major error, because Conservative Not Equal Republican. There are plenty of Conservative Democrats.

How do you account for the fact that so many more people self-identify as Democrat, if what you say is in fact true?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawk, That's dated June of 2009; voter sentiment changes on a dime, so we'll need to see something more recent.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I did, and if you look at Cycloptichorn' link you will see that the self described GOP number has of late been jumping around between 20% and 30%, and that over the lifetime of the graph DEMS have lost as much as the GOP. What has happened is that more people are like me, who despise both parties, and thus self identify as independent.