Ha! It's Back! RealJohnBoy's A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 08:41 am
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS — The Minneapolis Metrodome, where the Minnesota Vikings football team plays, has deflated during a snowstorm.

The Metrodome is operated by the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission. Its executive director, Bill Lester, said Sunday morning the damage is being assessed and the agency will issue a statement later. He says he has no details yet on what happened. More

I'm not familiar enough with the Metrodome to understand the difference between deflating and collapsing there.
spendius

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 09:02 am
@JPB,
Quote:
The roof of the Metrodome in Minneapolis has collapsed under the weight of nearly two feet of snow, and now the Giants and Vikings, who were rescheduled to play under it on Monday night, likely won't be able to play there at all.

The team woke up to the news this morning in Kansas City, where they've been stranded since Saturday by the historic blizzard that's wreaking havoc in Minnesota. They were originally scheduled to play the Vikings in Minneapolis on Sunday, but late Saturday night the game was pushed back to Monday at 8 p.m.

However, according to reports out of Minneapolis, the Teflon-coated fiberglass roof on what is now known as Mall of America Field, collapsed overnight under the weight of 17-plus inches of snow. The damage has left "several tears" in the roof and snow on the field.

Officials were enroute to assess the damage, but it almost certainly makes the stadium unusable for Monday.

An NFL spokesman said, via Twitter, that the league "will update all ASAP."

The Giants, meanwhile, had tentative plans to fly from Kansas City this morning at 11 a.m. CT. Asked if those plans are still on, a Giants spokesman said, "Stay tuned."

It's not clear what the NFL's options are, especially with the two teams in different cities. There is a precedent for moving a game. In 2005, the Giants' game against the Saints in New Orleans was eventually moved to Giants Stadium in New Jersey because of damage to the Louisiana Superdome caused by Hurricane Katrina.

The game has already caused logistical nightmares for everyone involved, from the moment the Giants' charter flight Saturday morning was diverted to Kansas City because of the blizzard slamming the Midwest. What they thought was only a temporary delay eventually forced them to stay overnight in Missouri.

It became chaotic when the NFL initially refused to change the original kickoff time of the game, which was scheduled for noon Central Time in Minneapolis. That forced the Giants to make plans to fly out early Sunday morning - plans which would have gotten them to the Metrodome about two hours before kickoff.

Later on Saturday, though, Metrodome officials expressed their concerns to the NFL about the potentially unsafe amount of snow on their roof. The NFL then relented and rescheduled the game for Monday night.

That allowed the Giants to change their plans again and get a little extra sleep in Kansas City on Sunday morning. They didn't get much, though, because around 7 a.m. CT, Hanlon said, there was a false fire alarm going off at their team hotel.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 09:08 am
The Bears/Pats game today is going to be played outdoors under horrendous conditions. We're currently at 29degs on the way down to 10 by tonight, light snow, but 15-20 mph winds gusting up to 40mph. This is the same storm that was in Minn yesterday. It's cold, getting colder, and very blustery out there.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 09:43 am
@ehBeth,

ehBeth wrote:
I used the weather.com schedule (and forecast) - not sure it'll help

http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/nfl/schedule

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 10:13 am
Rumors are that the game will played Monday night but it is unclear where. One site mentioned is the University of Minn stadium but that would be outside and the Giants didn't bring their cold weather gear. Nearby domed NFL stadiums are in Indianapolis and Detroit.
The Vikings are also scheduled to play at home next week.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 10:33 am
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
But forecasts called for a high of 4 degrees in Minneapolis on Monday, and it would likely be much colder at kickoff.
most likely they move the game to one of those neutral-site domes...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:09 am

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/motion/2009/0928/com_090929mlb_caple_metrodome.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/12/12/t1larg.dome.colaspe.kare.jpg
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:09 am
I am still looking for picks from Ms Cowdoc, with kickoffs just an hour away.
We are split 12-11 on the Denver-Arizona game. That is in my book a toss up.
We are unanimous is picking New Orleans and only Jespah has Cincy over Pittsburgh. Region and Alex have Carolina beating Atlanta and Jespah and Alex have Detroit versus Green Bay.
Ragman, LiontamerX and BillW agree with the majority on every game (excluding the toss up). At the other extreme is Jespah who disagrees on 6 games.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:50 am
@Region Philbis,
The game has been moved to monday night in Detroit, according to the Fox pregame show.
Fox sports.com has the video of the roof collapsing. Its awesome to watch.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:54 am
The Vikings-Giants game will be played Monday night in Detroit, the NFL is now saying.
The Metrodome was built in 1982 at a cost of some $70M. There have been problems before with the teflon/fiberglass inflatable roof. The video I have seen show portions of it shredded.
The Vikings lease for the Dome is set to expire and they want a new stadium estimated to cost $700M, with 2/3rds of that paid for by taxpayers. That idea is getting a chilly reception, to say the least.
LA wants to bring an NFL team back to that city and the Vikings have hinted that they might move. That strikes me as unlikely as there are other teams (St Louis or one of the Florida teams-I can't remember which) that are struggling more financially.
0 Replies

Miz Cowdoc

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:57 am
@realjohnboy,
Got to playing with the dogs and almost forgot to pick

Cleveland
Pitts
Oakland
T. Bay
Giants
Atlanta
G Bay
St. Louis
Seattle
New Eng.
Arizona
San Diego
Jets
Philly
Balt. 27-21
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 01:10 pm
mebbe Brent has more pull than we suspected...

"The Metrodome's Teflon roof collapsed after Minneapolis got more than 17 inches of snow. No injuries were reported."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101212/ap_on_re_us/us_winter_storm_midwest

also,... "Some 420 air travelers spent the night in Grand Forks, N.D"
(temporarily doubling the population...)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 01:20 pm
Detroit...???

"The Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants will play Monday night in Detroit after the Metrodome’s inflated roof collapsed in a snowstorm.

The delay has given Vikings quarterback Brett Favre more time to heal his sprained right shoulder and see if he can extend his NFL-record streak of 297 straight games started.

Metrodome officials told the league the roof wouldn’t be ready in time to play Monday or Tuesday. The league had discussions with Detroit and Indianapolis and briefly considered the University of Minnesota’s outdoor stadium before deciding to hold the game at Ford Field at 7:20 p.m."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-giants-vikings-snowstorm

have they pulled the betting line on this game yet?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 02:38 pm
speaking of Detroit, it's 7-3 Lions in the bottom of the seventh...
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 03:06 pm
@Rockhead,
CoinToss/CoinToss pipes in with the note that Jespah and Alex were not alone in picking the Lions over the Packers.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 03:08 pm
@realjohnboy,
alex I get.

what was Jes thinking, I wonder...?
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 03:22 pm
Through the early games on an amusing Sunday involving weather: Johnboy, Spendius, McGentrix, Lmur and CoastalRat are 6-1.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 03:26 pm
@realjohnboy,
hmmmmmm.

"A flubbed extra point attempt with 9 seconds to play kept the Washington Redskins from tying the game, giving the Tampa Bay Buccaneers a 17-16 victory Sunday."
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 03:30 pm
@Rockhead,
I didn't see the end. They missed a PA that would have sent the game to OT? Pathetic.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 03:51 pm
Just your typical afternoon in Stoneham.
Rhys and I cheering for the Dolphins.