Ha! It's Back! RealJohnBoy's A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

JPB

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 05:08 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I disagree. There was that hurricane in Houston that had Edgar treading water for awhile and without power. There were instances of family crises that were more important than playing here.
Certainly, if I noticed a pattern of a player declining to pick in games predicted to be very close (there are a couple of those this week), I would raise the bar.
Yes, I am the boss and I do tend to make up rules on the fly sometimes. But after running this for a few years, I think I understand who my audience is: people who typically have only a passing interest in the NFL and view this thread as an amusing diversion.
Nothing more.

You da man, man!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 05:08 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I'm an NFL fanatic now and I didn't know what a wide receiver was until I joined this. Or a 1st down.

Wonderful!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 05:59 pm
I am listing the Cleveland @ Miami and the Jacksonville @ Tennessee games as tossups. We predict the Florida teams will win, but we do so by only 13-11.
We are unanimous in taking Green Bay over San Francisco and New Orleans vs Cincinnati.
All in all, there is very little red ink, which probably means we will get burnt.
Ragman, Cowdoc and Panzade agree with the majority on every game, while JPB, George, Spendius and BillW are off by just one.
Tico and Jespah are out of step with the majority on 7 games, followed by Mysteryman at 6.
spendius

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 06:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
I've never rated being out of step.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 10:13 pm
Did I report that my attempt at potato soup last weekend turned out badly? The best review I got was "wallpaper paste."
I am trying again.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 10:27 pm
@realjohnboy,
wallpaper paste as a consistency is not far off.

as a flavor, mebbe you'd be better off in retail...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 10:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
ahh that lovely potato starch effect

gotta be careful how you handle the taters

the danger of potato starch is what makes a good clam chowder a wonderful thing - if you get it right, it's incredible
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 10:40 am
Good day, all.
I wore out my green highlighter recording how much we agree with each other in Week #13. 24 players x 16 games = 384 picks. We are aligned on 82% of them.

So it appears that Auburn University will play the University of Oregon for the unofficial title of national champions of college football. Auburn is led by Cam Newton, who is a talented player and apparently an articulate young man.
His dad, though, is a scoundrel who spent an inordinate amount of time trying to peddle his son's services to other schools in exchange for a large amount of cash.
Cam should, according to many, have been declared ineligible by Auburn or by the NCAA because of his father's activities. But he wasn't, possibly because he is so good at the game or perhaps because he supposedly was unaware of his dad's marketing efforts.
It is no secret that major college sports are corrupt, serving as farm teams for professional football and basketball. The schools make good money off of the sweat of young men pretending to be students working towards a meaningful degree.
At some point, there will have to be an official recognition of how collegiate sports at some levels are out of control.
(end of rant)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 10:58 am
And...
Spendius agrees with JPB on every game and with Lion and Ragman on all but 1 game. He and EhBeth disagree on 2.
LiontamerX and JPB differ on 1 and he and Ragman and EhBeth differ on 2 games.
JPB is 1-off vs Ragman and 2 against EhBeth.
Ragman and EhBeth see different outcomes in 3 games.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 11:48 am
Tis the season in LA...

"A fight among dozens of fans in a parking lot before the Southern California-UCLA football game has left two men with stab wounds and two police officers with minor injuries, authorities said.

Three men were arrested after about 40 fans of both schools fought in a grassy part of Brookside Golf Course that the stadium uses for event parking, Pasadena police Cmdr. Darryl Qualls said.

One person was stabbed in the cheek and the other was stabbed in the back during the melee some three hours before Saturday’s crosstown-rivalry game between the Bruins and Trojans was set to start, Qualls said. Both were taken by ambulance to Huntington Memorial Hospital. He described their condition as stable.

One officer was treated for a sprained hand, the other for a sprained ankle, and both were released, Qualls said.

Arturo Cisneros, 44, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police said. Steven Radu, 27, and Joshua Elder, 23, were arrested for investigation of assault on a police officer. They were being held in Pasadena City Jail.

USC later beat the Bruins for the 11th time in 12 games, 28-14."

(from yahoo)
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 12:09 pm
We Haven't Been Getting Ratty...
The BBC this morning reports that 2 guests and 5 staffers at a pub/B&B in North Yorkshire, England, are now able to leave after being stuck there for 8 days due to heavy snow.
The manager of the Lion Pub says that the 7 got into drinking for a day or so, but then settled into a more genteel routine of tea and biscuits.
Followed, I suspect, by a few pints.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 12:51 pm

My pick reminder:

Houston @ Philadelphia
Buffalo @ Minnesota
Cleveland @ Miami
Jacksonville @ Tennessee
Washington @ NY Giants
San Francisco @ Green Bay
New Orleans @ Cincinnati
Chicago @ Detroit
Denver @ Kansas City
Oakland @ San Diego
Atlanta @ Tampa Bay
St Louis @ Arizona
Carolina @ Seattle
Dallas @ Indianapolis
Pittsburgh @ Baltimore
NY Jets @ New England 17-24
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:35 pm
The Saints are winning and the Bears are losing at the half. This could be a good day!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:36 pm
@Rockhead,
Don't you expect a little violence Rocky in a game between "Bruins" and "Trojans".

One of the comment team, a big guy with long hair and one eye permanently closed, was given the "take it easy" by the other two for using the word "violence" in his praise of the Jaguars.

The Titans should be called the Tits. Lying back and taking it, whilst looking pretty, is what they are doing.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 01:39 pm
@spendius,
Yeah...

Randy Moss has made an impact there, for certain. Good move, coach Fisher...
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 03:00 pm
@George,
George wrote:
Rockhead wrote:
I'd feel better about it if you would pick Cleveland.
really...

The Fins will do fine.
Trust me.

I stand corrected.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 03:10 pm
NO, squeaks by, I think.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 03:25 pm
The Saints survived.
Through 9 games Osso, Region, CoastalRat and BillW are perfectly perfect in picking winners.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 03:48 pm
@Rockhead,
I went to only one USC-UCLA game, back in the sixties. I forget which game when, but it was at the colosseum and the skies let go with pouring rain. I had just been to san francisco for the first time and bought a raincoat my mother didn't like once I got it home, something about the color (that was the same time we all dressed up nicely and wore high(ish) heels walking around town, as tourists - I'm thinking it was '62 and we were visiting a sophisticated city. This was many years before running shoes became popular. Major news about what my feet could stand). At the game, I was seated between people with dripping umbrellas. I don't think I had one myself, since I had this swell raincoat). Once I got home, I found the clothes I wore under the coat newly purple.
spendius

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 03:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Really posh colour is purple osso. Congrats on your 9-0.