Ha! It's Back! RealJohnBoy's A2K NFL "Pick-Um" Game!

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 01:02 pm
@realjohnboy,

Here is the schedule again. For each team I have added its (Won-Loss) record along with {Points Scored By vs Points Scored Against}.
I look forward to getting a bunch of picks. Thanks for playing this silly game.

realjohnboy wrote:

WEEK #3 SCHEDULE:
All games are on Sunday and Monday; no Thursday night game.
9/18 - early:
San Francisco (0-2) {28-56} @ Kansas City (2-0) {37-28}
Tennessee (1-1) {49-32} @ NY Giants (1-1) {1-1}
Pittsburgh (2-0) {34-20} @ Tampa Bay (2-0) {37-21}
Detroit (0-2) {46-54} @ Minnesota (0-2) {19-28}
Atlanta (1-1) {50-22} @ New Orleans (2-0) {39-31}
Cleveland (0-2) {28-33} @ Baltimore (1-1) {20-24}
Buffalo (0-2) {17-49} @ New England (1-1) {52-52}
Cincinnati (1-1) {39-48} @ Carolina (0-2) {25-51}
Dallas (0-2) {27-40) @ Houston (2-0) {64-51}
9/18 - late:
Washington (1-1) {40-37} @ St Louis (0-2) {27-33}
Philadelphia (1-1) {55-59} @ Jacksonville (1-1) {37-55}
San Diego (1-1) {52-34} @ Seattle (1-1) {45-37}
Oakland (1-1) {29-52} @ Arizona (1-1) {24-54}
Indianapolis (1-1) {62-48} @ Denver (1-1) {48-38}
9/18 - night:
NY Jets (1-1) {37-24} @ Miami (2-0) {29-20}
9/19 - night:
Green Bay (2-0) {61-27} @ Chicago (2-0) {46-34} (+ final score)

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 01:17 pm
@realjohnboy,
WEEK #3:

San Francisco
Tennessee
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
Atlanta
Baltimore
New England
Cincinnati
Houston
Washington
Philadelphia
San Diego
Zona
Indianapolis
NY Jets
Green Bay, 23-20
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 01:37 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
. Thanks for playing this silly game.

We all don't think it's silly Johnny. You can see from some posts just above that there are players who take it really, really seriously. As long as the dead space of midweek is being taken up with matters they approve of from which one might learn absolutely **** all. It's as if they can't imagine that there may be other viewers here who find my contributions of some interest, however slight, and that they are the ones I compose my compostitions for.

And I only made a superficial comment or two about a report another member posted so that the conversation he had initiated would not fizzle out and dribble away like piss in a dusty gutter on a hot day does but would instead develop and possibly become a subject he could be proud of having raised and from which something might be learned. The only thing you can learn from piss dribbling down a dusty gutter on a hot day is that liquids go downhill when they can and that piss is immiscible with dry dust and shoots across it like quicksilver.

My picks will arrive before the deadline assuming I don't pass mine first.

I like silly games. All blouses do.

spendius

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 01:52 pm
Is a "pass rusher" a player who gets the ball from the quarter-back in a hand over as distinguished from a receiver ( a rather feminine word) getting it thrown at him. The bloke you want for a 4th on the one yard line I mean.

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 02:52 pm
@spendius,

running backs (and full backs to a lesser degree) are the ones who usually receive a hand-off from the quarterback.

pass rushing is done by the defensive linemen...
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 03:00 pm
San Francisco
Tennessee
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
New Orleans
Baltimore
New England
Cincinnati
Houston (doubts)
Washington
Philadelphia
San Diego
Arizona
Indianapolis
NY Jets
Green Bay 23-13

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 03:12 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
pass rushing is done by the defensive linemen...

Thanks Philbion Regis. His task is to rush towards a pass to minimise its effect or even turn it to advantage? Is that right?
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 03:28 pm
@spendius,
Of the 11 guys on the defensive team, 6 might be deployed on the line while the other 5 work to protect against a pass. Perhaps 3 of the 6 focus on stopping a running play. The others, the pass rushers, try to break through the offensive line to pressure the QB. They can not allow him to stand back there getting a lot of time to find a target.
The allocation of defensive resources depends on the situation. If it is 3rd down and 10, a pass rather than a rush can be expected. Fewer guys will be deployed to protect against an unlikely running play. More will rush and more will cover potential pass catchers.
It is actually quite a chess match, Spendi.
spendius

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 05:08 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
It is actually quite a chess match, Spendi.

It always is when men and large sums of money and pride are involved. You should see what they get up to in pigeon racing and giant marrow growing. To suggest that one competitive activity is cleverer than another is to misunderstand the nature of human beings.

Take label design for jam and lemon cheeses for example.

And young men can normally be expected to be a bit slow on the uptake. You missed out the word speed. It's speed chess. Ordinary chess is crap for spectators. Mistakes are the essence. Who makes the least wins usually.

Can-can dancers compete to win the adoration of the fat-cats on the front row. Which is quite a chess match too although some of the more obvious moves are banned for various reasons.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 05:23 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

... not fizzle out and dribble away like piss in a dusty gutter on a hot day does but would instead develop and possibly become a subject he could be proud of having raised and from which something might be learned. The only thing you can learn from piss dribbling down a dusty gutter on a hot day is that liquids go downhill when they can and that piss is immiscible with dry dust and shoots across it like quicksilver.

You are in exceptionally rare form this evening, Spendius.
I certainly won't speak for all of us, dude, but I do enjoy mid-week chatter. We just need to respect (methinks) that there is a boundary. I can't and won't try to say where that is.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 09:19 pm
Kansas City
NY Giants
Pittsburgh
Detroit (just for kicks)
New Orleans
Baltimore
New England
Cincinnati
Houston
Washington
Philadelphia
San Diego
Oakland
Indianapolis
Miami
Green Bay (26-20)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 07:03 am
@realjohnboy,
WEEK #3 SCHEDULE:
San Francisco
NY Giants
Tampa Bay
Detroit
New Orleans
Baltimore
New England
Cincinnati
Houston
Washington
Philadelphia
San Diego
Arizona
Indianapolis
Miami
Monday:
Green Bay (27-17)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 12:23 pm
AndyClubber becomes just the 8th player to pick.

KC
Tenn
Pitt
Minn
Atl
Balt
NE
Cincy
Hous
Wash
Phil
SD
Oak
Indy
NYJ
GB (24-21)
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:40 pm
@realjohnboy,

(posting mine on saturdee -- too dang busy this week...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:46 pm
'Tis a puzzlement..

WEEK #3 SCHEDULE:
San Francisco @ Kansas City SF
Tennessee @ NY Giants NYG
Pittsburgh @ Tampa Bay PITT
Detroit @ Minnesota DET
Atlanta @ New Orleans NO
Cleveland @ Baltimore BALT
Buffalo @ New England NE
Cincinnati @ Carolina CIN
Dallas @ Houston HOU
Washington @ St Louis WASH (I can always say I meant Washington U in St. Lou..)
Philadelphia @ Jacksonville PHIL
San Diego @ Seattle SD
Oakland @ Arizona OAK
Indianapolis @ Denver INDY
NY Jets @ Miami MIAMI
Green Bay @ Chicago GB 30-21
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:55 pm
From John McClain's blog, about Cowboys Texans:

Now, who do you think is going to win this game?

The Texans are favored by three. They've won six in a row. They're 10-3 against the NFC, including 1-0 this season, over the last four years.

But I think back to last year when the Cowboys were supposed to get obliterated at New Orleans. They came up with their best game. Can they come up with their best game at Reliant Stadium?

I think both teams will move the ball through the air. I think this one comes down to one of the quarterbacks, Matt Schaub or Tony Romo, taking over the game.

I think the Cowboys will contain Arian Foster. I think the Texans will shut down the Cowboys' running game. This one will be won through the air.

This game will feature superb receivers, hard hitting from the front sevens and big plays on both sides of the ball.

I'm a big fan of Gary Kubiak and Wade Phillips. I feel bad that one has to lose. I think Wade will be 0-3.
CoastalRat

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:06 am
I gave BillyBob 2 weeks to see what he could do and look where it got me. So now I'm gonna give his pet possum a chance. I'm hoping I correctly understood him correctly.

WEEK #3 SCHEDULE:
San Francisco
Tennessee
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
New Orleans
Baltimore
New England
Carolina
Houston
Washington
Philadelphia
San Diego
Arizona
Indianapolis
Miami
Green Bay 37-27
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:25 am
@edgarblythe,
ed's listening to the wind up merchants. I don't take any notice of those silly sods.

I know what you're going to say-- the wind up merchants sell tickets and selling a lot of tickets brings money in and it is trying to get that money that makes it competitive and that is what's good. Okay.. I accept that.

But I don't take any notice of them. They make me laugh. That made me laugh ed. I bet it made the footballers laugh as well.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:47 am
I don't give a **** how you feel about it, spendi. I have been second guessing my choice of Houston all week, but can't come up with sufficient reason to change it.
spendius

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:06 am
@edgarblythe,
Toss up and get the decision fixed. Have you ever tossed a coin with a mate in a bar to decide who is taking who before you move in on the two exotic creatures chatting on their stools? Predicting a football result is nothing to get lathered up about.