IS THE "TEA PARTY" REALLY A POPULIST MOVEMENT?

Setanta

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 12:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
You missed the significance of my post altogether, which doesn't surprise me. America has been a nation of immigrants almost from the very beginning. Most came here in the first century and a half to get land. They were conservative, moderately so, because having gotten what they came for, they wanted to keep it. However, consold yourself with polls, if it does console you. As is the case with abortion, when you can't come up with a fig leaf to cover your bullshit, you just make **** up. My point is that Americans have always been (moderately) conservative, so there is no real news in saying that they are "becoming" more conservative. Given that they voted twice for Reagan, once for Pappy Bush and twice for Bush Lite, i am amused to consider how one can claim that they are becoming more conservative--and to understand how the Democrats trounced the Republicans in the 2006 mid-terms.

As i say, you failed to understand what i was saying (typical) and you just make **** up (also typical).
hawkeye10

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 12:30 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
As i say, you failed to understand what i was saying (typical) and you just make **** up (also typical).
What is typical is that you back up your assertion with nothing but more assertions, where as I back mine up with facts. I win.
rabel22

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 12:56 pm
@hawkeye10,

so in your great wisdom you get to decide who wins a noncontast.
hawkeye10

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 01:24 pm
@rabel22,
Quote:
so in your great wisdom you get to decide who wins a noncontast.
I think that if one wants to know which way the country is going that asking the people is a valid way to get the answer. The country is self reporting that they are going Right. Now I am open to Set coming up with something to call into question the validity of this self reporting, but so far he has nothing but assertions and undocumented theories. According to the rules of evidence he brings nothing to the table but theory, where as I brought a documented fact. I win.
Setanta

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Oh yeah, what did you win, Buddy? You didn't back anything up with facts--polls are not facts, they are resumes of what people think, or even what they think they think. But i understand that you don't understand these things, so i'm not bothered.

How many beers are ya gonna buy with your winnings there, Champ?
Setanta

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Once again, a poll is not a fact. The only "fact" involved is what the numbers from the responses are. We don't know the methodology, nor do we know what the respondants think the questions mean, or what the terms used in the questions mean.

Do you claim the elections of Reagan twice, Pappy Bush, and Baby Bush twice are not facts? Do you claim that the outcome of the 2006 mid-terms is not a fact? What a f*ckin' clown . . .
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:46 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
polls are not facts, they are resumes of what people think,
Polls are a measure of what people think. The question was one of what people think. Therefor, a poll result is a fact that goes to answer the question.
Setanta

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
polls are not facts, they are resumes of what people think,
Polls are a measure of what people think. The question was one of what people think. Therefor, a poll result is a fact that goes to answer the question.

Once again, faced with the failure of your pathetic rhetoic, you just make things up. The "question," as you call was this: ". . . and the country is moving right." That is what you wrote. You didn't write that people think the coutry is moving to the right, you wrote that the country is moving to the write. To repeat myself, what a f*ckin' clown.
dyslexia

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 02:58 pm
@Setanta,
really Set, if you're going to actually parse what posters write, people are going to ignore you.
Setanta

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 03:02 pm
@dyslexia,
In this particular case, one can only hope so.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 04:28 pm
@Setanta,
In the early days of my time at Williams-Sonoma, we had a stock man from one of the Caribbean islands, who said he emigrated because he was afraid of hurricanes. He listened to Rush Limbaugh in the stock room until the then-manager (who never gave anyone a hint about her political affiliation) told him to stop.

Afterwards, without ever revealing our political leanings, several of us discussed whether immigrants were persuaded to follow talk radio because it was available . . . if it seemed "cool" and "very American" to people who still had little English and only mass media knowledge of America.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 09:37 pm
T.E.A. party seen on tonight's episode of Weeds on Showtime Cool
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:33 pm
Published today by the Guardian (UK).:
Quote:
Tea Party climate change deniers funded by BP and other major polluters
Suzanne Goldenberg, US environment correspondent
Guardian.co.uk, Sunday 24 October 2010 22.57 BST

Midterm election campaigns of Tea Party favourites DeMint and Inhofe have received over $240,000
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/10/24/1287949025269/Tea-Party-Express-Begins--006.jpg
Tea Party Express Begins Final Bus Tour Before Mid-Term Elections US Senate climate change deniers and Tea Party favourites including Jim DeMint and James Inhofe are being funded by BP and other polluters. Photograph: Ethan Miller/Getty Images

BP and several other big European companies are funding the midterm election campaigns of Tea Party favourites who deny the existence of global warming or oppose Barack Obama's energy agenda, the Guardian has learned.

An analysis of campaign finance by Climate Action Network Europe (Cane) found nearly 80% of campaign donations from a number of major European firms were directed towards senators who blocked action on climate change. These included incumbents who have been embraced by the Tea Party such as Jim DeMint, a Republican from South Carolina, and the notorious climate change denier James Inhofe, a Republican from Oklahoma.

The report, released tomorrow, used information on the Open Secrets.org database to track what it called a co-ordinated attempt by some of Europe's biggest polluters to influence the US midterms. It said: "The European companies are funding almost exclusively Senate candidates who have been outspoken in their opposition to comprehensive climate policy in the US and candidates who actively deny the scientific consensus that climate change is happening and is caused by people."

Obama and Democrats have accused corporate interests and anonymous donors of trying to hijack the midterms by funnelling money to the Chamber of Commerce and to conservative Tea Party groups. The Chamber of Commerce reportedly has raised $75m (£47m) for pro-business, mainly Republican candidates.

"Oil companies and the other special interests are spending millions on a campaign to gut clean-air standards and clean-energy standards, jeopardising the health and prosperity of this state," Obama told a rally in California on Friday night. ...<cont>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/24/tea-party-climate-change-deniers
msolga

Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:48 pm
@msolga,
In case you're wondering why I posted that article (above) to this particular thread ...
The question this thread poses for discussion is: Is the Tea Party Really a Populist Movement?

I guess I'm wondering why a genuine home-grown populists movement would knowingly accept its candidates (& I assume, its campaign) being funded by large corporations from outside their own country, with their own agendas to push through the US senate? Hasn't the Tea Party compromised its credibility & its independence by doing this?
failures art

Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:52 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

In case you're wondering why I posted that article (above) to this particular thread ...
The question this thread poses for discussion is: Is the Tea Party Really a Populist Movement?

I guess I'm wondering why a genuine home-grown populists movement would knowingly accept its candidates (& I assume, its campaign) being funded by large corporations from outside their own country, with their own agendas to push through the US senate? Hasn't the Tea Party compromised its credibility & its independence by doing this?

What credibility or independence did it ever have? It's been Astroturf from day one.

A
R
They don't care where the money comes from.
failures art

Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:53 pm
[Author unknown...]

After The 8 Years Of The Bush/Cheney Disaster, Now You Get Mad?

You didn't get mad when the Supreme Court stopped a legal recount and appointed a President.

You didn't get mad when Cheney allowed Energy company officials to dictate Energy policy and push us to invade Iraq .

You didn't get mad when a covert CIA operative got outed.

You didn't get mad when the Patriot Act got passed.

You didn't get mad when we illegally invaded a country that posed no threat to us. You didn't get mad when we spent over 800 billion (and counting) on said illegal war.

You didn't get mad when Bush borrowed more money from foreign sources than the previous 42 Presidents combined.

You didn't get mad when over 10 billion dollars in cash just disappeared in Iraq .

You didn't get mad when you found out we were torturing people.

You didn't get mad when Bush embraced trade and outsourcing policies that shipped 6 million American jobs out of the country.

You didn't get mad when the government was illegally wiretapping Americans.

You didn't get mad when we didn't catch Bin Laden.

You didn't get mad when Bush rang up 10 trillion dollars in combined budget and current account deficits.

You didn't get mad when you saw the horrible conditions at Walter Reed.

You didn't get mad when we let a major US city, New Orleans drown.

You didn't get mad when we gave people who had more money than they could spend, the filthy rich, over a trillion dollars in taxbreaks. You didn't get mad with the worst 8 years of job creations in several decades.

You didn't get mad when over 200,000 US Citizens lost their lives because they had no health insurance.

You didn't get mad when lack of oversight and regulations from the Bush Administration caused US Citizens to lose 12 trillion dollars in investments, retirement, and home values.

No.....You finally got mad

When a black man was elected President and decided that people in America deserved the right to see a doctor if they are sick.

Yes, illegal wars, lies, corruption, torture, job losses by the millions, stealing your tax dollars to make the rich richer, and the worst economic disaster since 1929 are all okay with you, but helping fellow Americans who are sick...Oh, Hell No!!

A
R
T
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:55 pm
@msolga,
The big donors , (besides the Koch's) have always been suspected to be the Health Insurance Giants (whom with the impoending changes in Health CAre) will have the most to lose.

Also they all bitch about govt spending and dont even question the 3/4 Billion Dollars A DAY we are still pissing away in the Mid East.

Ive seen plenty of geezer teabaggers with signs that imply
" KEep the Govt out of Health CAre" ?????. Then these people , when interviewed are all thankful for Medicare. DUUHHH.
To think Im gonna be in the dawn of my own Geezaerhood in a month.
I hope my brain doesnt disppear up my ass like some of these old timer Teabaggers.
0 Replies

failures art

Sun 24 Oct, 2010 09:56 pm

A
R
T
0 Replies

msolga

Sun 24 Oct, 2010 10:01 pm
@failures art,
OK, then.
The representative grass roots credibility that the movement claims it has. What the movement claims it stands for ...
What is a populist movement which claims to be solely representative ordinary American citizens doing, accepting funding from outside corporations which clearly have only their own (profit) interests at heart? What will the movement owe those corporations for their support?
I'm not asking you to defend or justify the Tea Party's actions, Art. Wink
msolga

Sun 24 Oct, 2010 10:14 pm
@msolga,
It makes no sense, no sense at all! Wink
Very weird stuff, this populism fueled by outside corporations, your home-grown multi-millionaires & supported by Rupert Murdoch's media empire.
Are we to believe that local tea party "activists" are blissfully unaware of all this? Or that they simply don't care, whatever it takes to undermine Obama is OK with them?