IS THE "TEA PARTY" REALLY A POPULIST MOVEMENT?

plainoldme

Thu 26 Aug, 2010 01:31 pm
@PUNKEY,
Why are you surprised that people over-60 are in the Tea Totalitarians? There were fraternity brothers and sorority sisters at the same time there were hippies. There were kids who were working their way through school who didn't care about politics just as there were trust fund kids who didn't care about politics. On the other hand, there were blue collar kids who were very left of center.

There were more apolitical students in the late 60s and early 70s than there were political kids.
0 Replies

Khethil

Thu 26 Aug, 2010 01:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

farmerman wrote:

A populist movement, angry at how the entire evaporation of the middle class has occured for some 30 years is really what I expected of this movement. For years The peoples voices have been silenced in an orchestrated fashion that has killed any semblance of an AMerican Dream. Corporations have reaped profits by insisting on "less regulation is good for you" when the opposite is true. Industries have spent bazillions buying off and owning Congress and the media. Its also exported the remains of our manufactut=ring industries overseas and has supplanted it with nothing.
Id expect that the people involved in a real populist movement would demand that the playing fields be leveled for all , But I dont hear anything like "reform" coming out of the TP at all.
They just wanna repeat the same **** that led us into this rathole. No government controls over corporate shenanigans and manipulation, lets cut all the taxes on the wealthy and business (the argument is that thias is good for "small businesses")
They want cutbacks on social and health spending and education. They want lots more outsourcing and punititves on organized labor.
Does the word FAscisti come to mind? WHose writing the libretto of this , Benito Mussilini?

Im comfortable enough to witshtand an increase in my taxes and Id not argue about it should the residua be spent on the actual playing field leveling. However I dont hear anything even remotely like that coming from the Tea baggers. SO, with my attention fully gotten and my suspicion raised about this entire movement, Im glad that many herein feel similarly.

NOW whadda we do?

I have been saying something similar to this for a long time.

Ditto - completely agree
farmerman

Thu 26 Aug, 2010 04:34 pm
@Khethil,
Theyve spun off so many "lets get our nation back" rallies that the coordination alone requires some major investment in fixed infrastructure. This "club" is acting like a single organism with radio dittoheads as the minions.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:27 pm
@farmerman,
listening to Terry Gross interview on the Koch Brothers and thir heavy funding of the "Tea Party" .

Seems like Glenn Becks biggest sponsors are companies owned by the Kochs who also began Mercatis, the CAto Institute and Citizens for Sound Economy (Now Americans for Prosperity).
Its corporate sponsored activism heavily underwritten by Koch Compaqnies.

Koch Companies have been hypocritical by disguising their own corporate self interests. The give aways in the Bush ENnergy Bill have Koch written all over.

farmerman

Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:30 pm
@farmerman,
Looking further about David Koch, hes been a big donor for cancer reseqrsch since he had prostate cancer in the early 1990's.
But, if you look at the EPAQ actions website. It appears that his own company scientists are fighting against regulation of formaldehyde in the environment. EWVen the DUpont Co has been supporting reasonable Regs re formaldehyde as a major chemical carcinogen.

Im gonna have to look more at these guys
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 26 Aug, 2010 07:47 pm
@farmerman,
If anyone disagrees with the Koch Companies, then that person should boycott all their products.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Thu 26 Aug, 2010 08:35 pm
Less regulation is good for you, unless you are the super rich. The worst that could happen to them is an end to barriers in the market and government created monopolies. Regulation distributes wealth from the poor and the middle class to the super rich. In a free market, they couldn't keep their wealth for long. Regulation, welfare and government involvement in the economy unlevels the playing field.
msolga

Fri 27 Aug, 2010 01:54 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
When I see the Glenn Becks and Rush Limbaughs selling themselves as populists .....

I am not an American & prefer not to become involved in analyzing what makes the Tea Party tick, second hand, from a long way away ...

But I say: go beyond the Tea Party, Fox News, etc ... & take a closer look at the the owners of the media outlets who give movements like the Tea Party their oxygen ... What's in it for them? What might they have to gain by causing such instability to the current government?

As an Australian (where Rupert Murdoch came from in the first place) with lots of first-hand insight into Rupert's tampering in local politics, I'd say there's definitely got to be something in it for him.

farmerman

Fri 27 Aug, 2010 03:57 am
@EmperorNero,
Quote:
government created monopolies.

The US has a history of the "Guilded Age" when there were NO regulations and the monopolies of the rich were on the backs of the workers and the poor. We needed to actually fight for such things as "child labor laws" and onerous work rules.
Ive maintained throughout my history here that, without regulations, businesses would operate pretty much like they do in China today. People would be sold defective and toxic goods, workers would be exploited , and health rules would be non existent.
farmerman

Fri 27 Aug, 2010 04:00 am
@msolga,
ThKochs give money to curing cancer but, throught their paper coatings businesses and their oil company lobbies, they fight AGAINST rules regarding toxic chemicals that are known carcinogens.
ANything thats good for their businesses that goes against environmental rules , is what they want.
msolga

Fri 27 Aug, 2010 04:25 am
@farmerman,
That explains their motives, farmer, but I'm trying to work out the motives of far bigger fish like Murdoch, in relation to pushing this "movement" via the likes of Fox. In the process, undermining your government. I have a hunch that the Tea Party would not have gained as much attention as it has without Fox, particularly in its early days.

In much earlier days in Oz, his media outlets openly advocated changes of government during election campaigns .. which by some coincidence, further enhanced his opportunities of a media monopoly (by the "endorsed" party changing the existing media ownership "rules"). In the end, both parties agreed with him. He could do a lot of damage if they didn't.

Not to worry if you think this might not be relevant to this particular discussion. Just leave it at this. But in my observation, anything that Rupert's media outlets advocate has something to do with Rupert's ambitions.

farmerman

Fri 27 Aug, 2010 04:36 am
@msolga,
In all cases, these guys, like Murdoch or Kochs actually believe their stuff. The Kochs, apparently go way back to post WWII, when Kochs father had originally backed STalin but because of doublecross, Koch became rabid anti communist. ASO he was one of the original founders of the John Birch Society.
msolga

Fri 27 Aug, 2010 04:38 am
@farmerman,
Whereas Rupert just wants to control the world! Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Fri 27 Aug, 2010 04:39 am
Anyway, you guys, carry on with your discussion now ....

I don't want to create a diversion from its original purpose.
farmerman

Fri 27 Aug, 2010 04:44 am
@msolga,
stop whining and jump in with both feet. Murdoch is relevant to the discussions.
msolga

Fri 27 Aug, 2010 04:49 am
@farmerman,
I'm not whining!
I just thought that I was the only person interested in pursuing this line of argument.
And I was graciously bowing out to allow you guys to continue from where you'd left off! Because I'm such an obliging person ...

So there! Wink

0 Replies

failures art

Fri 27 Aug, 2010 06:32 am
There is a Beck + Palin Tea Party Rally in DC this Saturday. It's titled the "Restoring Honor" rally and it's at the Lincoln Memorial.

DCist had intercepted some amusing (and a bit offputting comments made by the Maine Tea Party about visiting Washington, DC.

DCist wrote:
Welcome to D.C., Tea Partiers!
http://dcist.com/attachments/Aaron%20Morrissey/2010_0823_teaparty.jpg
We're but days away from Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin's August 28 "Restoring Honor" rally at the Lincoln Memorial, when thousands of Tea Party activists and fellow conservatives will gather for a "non-political event that pays tribute to America's service personnel and other upstanding citizens who embody our nation's founding principles of integrity, truth and honor."

Of course, with so many folks coming into town from all over the country, some for the first time, there's bound to be a bunch of questions about where to eat and stay in the District, how to get around, what to expect, and so on. TBD's Andrew Beaujon just tweeted a link to a Maine Tea Party website listing handy advice for those many activists coming to our fair city for the weekend.

Here it is, quoted verbatim for your reading pleasure.

DC's population includes refugees from every country, as the families of embassy staffs of third world countries tend to stay in DC whenever a revolution in their homeland means that anyone in their family would be in danger if they went back. Most taxi drivers and many waiters/waitresses (especially in local coffee shops like the Bread and Chocolate chain) are immigrants, frequently from east Africa or Arab countries. As a rule, African immigrants do not like for you to assume they are African Americans and especially do not like for you to guess they are from a neighboring country (e.g. Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia) with whom they may have political or military tensions. It's rare to meet anyone who gets really offended, but you can still be aware of the issue.

Many parts of DC are safe beyond the areas I will list here, but why chance it if you don't know where you are?

If you are on the subway stay on the Red line between Union Station and Shady Grove, Maryland. If you are on the Blue or Orange line do not go past Eastern Market (Capitol Hill) toward the Potomac Avenue stop and beyond; stay in NW DC and points in Virginia. Do not use the Green line or the Yellow line. These rules are even more important at night. There is of course nothing wrong with many other areas; but you don't know where you are, so you should not explore them.

Oh, but there's more. So much more.

If on foot or in a cab or bus, stay in Bethesda, Arlington (preferably north Arlington), Crystal City, Falls Church, Annandale, or Alexandria, or in DC only in northwest DC west (i.e. larger street numbers) of 14th or 16th streets, or if on Capitol Hill only in SE Capitol Hill (zip 20003) between 1st and 8th Streets, not farther out than 8th (e.g. 9th, 10th etc). (Or stay on the Mall and at the various monuments.) Again there are many other lovely places, from the Catholic University of America to Silver Spring, Maryland. But you don't know where you are so you cannot go, especially at night, unless you take me with you.

If that's not enough for you, there's the sole comment:

While I was there [in 1998] I stayed in a cheap hotel and had the window open. I was on the third floor. I called home and while I was on the phone there was a burst of 9MM automatic weapons fire in the street. My wife said it was pretty loud and was that the TV? I told her it wasn't the TV. It was live in the street in Washington, DC, which is more dangerous than Baghdad.

Ignorance is bliss, huh?

Source: http://dcist.com/2010/08/welcome_to_dc_tea_party.php
It's worth seeing the original article just to read the comments at the bottom.

A
Real America?
T
0 Replies

plainoldme

Fri 27 Aug, 2010 07:21 am
@msolga,
You're definitely on to something. What the Murdocks and the Kochs of the world get is a chance to make their own ideas dominate over other ideas. In the case of the Kochs, who really misuse their wealth, it is perpetual toddlerhood: freedom from control.

To every right winger who has ever written or said to a liberal, you drank the Kool-Aid, well, it looks like the well spring of right wing Kool-Aid has been found.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Fri 27 Aug, 2010 07:25 am
Restoring Honor to AMerica? Remember when the Republicans were saying george bush brought dignity back to the WH?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w73dVVPRk0
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Fri 27 Aug, 2010 08:42 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
government created monopolies.

The US has a history of the "Guilded Age" when there were NO regulations and the monopolies of the rich were on the backs of the workers and the poor. We needed to actually fight for such things as "child labor laws" and onerous work rules.
Ive maintained throughout my history here that, without regulations, businesses would operate pretty much like they do in China today. People would be sold defective and toxic goods, workers would be exploited , and health rules would be non existent.

farmerman,
You take todays wealth for granted and conclude that the poverty and drudgery of the 1800s was the 'fault' of markets being too free. But the reason people were poor back then was because society was poor. They simply didn't have the necessary productive capacity to produce all the stuff they needed. There wasn't enough stuff to go around, no social policy could have changed that. You can't have higher standards of living unless you have the capacity produce it.
That's what happened when free markets were implemented in Europe and America in the late 1700s. The era of strong laissez-faire economics produced the most rapid progress in human history, poverty went from being the norm to being the exception.
The poverty and drudgery of the laissez-faire era was actually an improvement compared to the alternative. People willingly moved to the cities to work under those conditions. They moved there because the truly grinding poverty of the countryside was even worse.

That this wealth wasn't just collected by few rich people, while the rest remained poor and in drudgery, is explained by elementary supply and demand economics: When a commodity is abundant, it is cheap; when a commodity is scarce, it is expensive. In the early stages of industrialism (such as in the west in the early 19th century and in China today) industry is still only beginning to be implemented, but there are lots of workers, so labor is abundant. Thus employers have to pay just enough for people to survive and working conditions are very bad. But with more industrial production more labor is needed and demand catches up with the supply of labor and labor becomes scarce. Then employers have to offer better pay and working conditions to compete for labor. That's why working conditions and pay improve, because of the advance of free market enterprise, not because of government regulation.

As for child labor, think why a family would make it's children work. Because they need the income of the child to survive. Child labor is reduced because the free market improves productivity. Now the labor of the adults has enough purchasing power to feed the whole family. If government simply bans child labor, the family would starve. Which is precisely what happened in third world countries where western activists managed to get child labor banned, the children went into prostitution or starved.

The supposed "monopolies" in free markets were actually anything but. Nobody could ever produce an example of a monopoly that was not the result of government intervention in the economy. The supposed evil businesses of that era were actually highly beneficial to society, especially the poor, as they created huge improvements in productivity and thereby cheap products that raised standards of living.