IS THE "TEA PARTY" REALLY A POPULIST MOVEMENT?

H2O MAN

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 08:36 am
The failed Obama science project is over!
0 Replies

revelette

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 08:40 am
@Setanta,
I actually forgot, but in any case, he is still better than Keys. I am a little amazed at myself for forgetting Rice and Powell and their roles in the Iraq war. I guess I was just comparing them to other conservatives... Embarrassed
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 11:48 am
With that standard of comparison, you could make half of all politicias look good . . .

(Sorry, i just couldn't resist the opportunity for a cheap shot . . . )
farmerman

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 04:25 pm
@Setanta,
The only problem is that we dont know which half.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 06:05 pm
I think we've got tempest in a teapot stuff here. Even were the Republicans to take over the Congress, that would simply make them responsible for any mess which arises in the next two years. If the Dems don't blow it, they can use that against them. In 1994, the Republicans came out with their "contract on America," and the upshot was that Clinton forced them to exercise some fiscal responsibility. They sure as hell won't spend us into a hole the way they did from 2001 to 2007 when there's a Democrat in the White House for them to deal with.
farmerman

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 06:09 pm
@Setanta,
I see lotsa gridlock since the GOPs have stated that they wont compromise. If anything happens to worsen the economy, or (Dog forbid) another "event", The GOP will inherit thefickleness of the public that they are demonstrating now. (Whether its earned or not)
Setanta

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 06:25 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
. . . GOPs have stated that they wont compromise.

Yeah, that ****'ll last just as long as it takes for a pork barrel to show up in their districts.
farmerman

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 06:27 pm
@Setanta,
THen I think the pres, will introduce the GOP to "THE VETO"
High Seas

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 06:32 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
And somewhere in the darkness the gambler, he broke even
But in his final words I found an ace that I could keep

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 06:34 pm
@farmerman,
Yup . . . that's what i meant in referring to Clinton. People don't really seem to absorb events. The Republicans took over the Congress in 1994, and immediately got up to their antics. Clinton simply called on them to balance the budget. They brought out the blowhard rhetoric and started posturing, and Clinton began quietly using the veto. They passed wild-eyed budgets, he vetoed them. They refused to pass emergency spending bills, so he let the government go broke. They finally caved in and began to legislate responsibly about the budget.

It would really be great if that happened again.
farmerman

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 06:36 pm
@Setanta,
I think the pres should keep a "Bubba Button" on speed dial
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:16 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

... They sure as hell won't spend us into a hole the way they did from 2001 to 2007 when there's a Democrat in the White House for them to deal with.

If so, that's only because the Democrat in the White House and the outgoing Democrat Congress have already put us in the hole. I agree that neither party has an exemplary record of fiscal restraint. However the Republicans did propose significant reductions in budget authorizations in 1994 - that was what produced some (not all) of Clinton's vetos. Bubba won the hold your breath contest.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:19 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

If so, that's only because the Democrat in the White House and the outgoing Democrat Congress have already put us in the hole.

Oh, please Rolling Eyes

Wasn't our guys who started a hell of an expensive war while passing big tax cuts . 5 billion in debt, terrible job growth, and a financial crash which has cost us hundreds of billions if not trillions of dollars as a nation -all under Republican management, and you're blaming the Dems? Preposterous. It's as if you pretend the last decade just didn't happen.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:23 pm
@georgeob1,
You live in a complete fantasy world, O'George. The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 mandated the budget reductions, and that was before the Republican Congress was elected in 1994, and before they took their seats in 1995. That bill also raised taxes on the top 1% of income tax payers, will reducing taxes on working class and lower middle class tax payers. When the Republicans got into the Congress, they wanted to repeal the taxes on their rich buddies--Clinton vetoed that.
0 Replies

failures art

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:27 pm
For the fans of This American Life, this week's episode "This Party Sucks" is a pretty fascinating look at how both liberals and conservatives are struggling with party identity. Interesting commentary on the Tea Party and why the Dems have been acting like wimps.

This American Life wrote:

Prologue.
Republican Bill Jerky, a very conservative former Colorado State Legislator known as a tax "enemy," has a surprising job this election season. He's going around to lots of different conservative groups and urging voters NOT to vote for three Colorado ballot initiatives that would cut state taxes so severely, they'd essentially strangle state government from here on out. Jerky says he appreciates the sentiment behind the ballot initiatives but says they simply go too far. It's a weird election year—it's not just the political parties fighting each other but it's also the parties fighting amongst themselves, trying to figure out what they stand for, what they want for the future and what's the best path to get there. (4 minutes)

Act One. Patriot Games.
Rich Carlson and Tom Swenor, two best friends in Michigan, got so fed up with the political process in the country this year, they decided to form their own Tea Party chapter in Petoskey, Michigan. But as election season revved up and push came to shove, Rich and Tom had very different ideas about how to advance a conservative agenda. In the end, their idealism, their jobs and their friendship have suffered the consequences. This American Life producer Ben Calhoun tells the story. (34 minutes)

Act Two. Mr. Hitt Goes To Washington.
Jack Hitt has spent the last two years watching the Obama administration lose the news cycle and war of soundbites to Republicans day after day. Watching the Democrats run away from issues like health care reform and middle class tax cuts, Hitt wonders if there is some secret long-term master plan the Democrats are deploying, or if they're just incompetent. He goes to a Democratic Party insider—Paul Begala—to try to understand what the thinking behind the last two years of Democratic messaging has been. (16 minutes)

Song: "Whose Side Are You On", GW McLeannan

It might not be very remarkable for an American audience, but for those like msolga, who are interested in gaining more background on the Tea Party, it might shed some light. At least give it some feeling...

A
R
This Party Sucks
cicerone imposter

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:43 pm
@farmerman,
Politics is a strange animal any way we look at it; all those unemployed folks who got their unemployment benefits extended by Obama are upset that he raised their income taxes~!

Is there a cure for stupid people?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:48 pm
@farmerman,
That's right! The GOP may win the congress, but they will be stifled from doing anything, and they have never provided any plans to increase jobs in this country. All they have talked about is cutting taxes; that will only increase our national debt.

The GOP and Tea Party are at odds on many of these issues, and they will suffer from their own interests.
farmerman

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
IM with you pon that. When Obama took the WHite House, it was a positive feeling and a sense of our potential. Now The GOP is running negativity as if theyve got nothing except "Heres where Obama and Pelosi fucked up" (However we got nothin going on to solve it ourselves anyway)

TAx and spend m,ay be the Dems,
but
Borrow and spend is the GOP.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 08:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You should have worded that a bit more carefully, because your response makes you sound like a bigot.
plainoldme

Mon 1 Nov, 2010 08:37 pm
@Setanta,
Or for Rice either: she was the one who put in the bit about mushroom shaped clouds.
0 Replies