Critical thinking and political matters.

Fido

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 10:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Fido, All I had to do was read your first sentence to know you don't know what in the world you are talking about. Not all governments are created for the good of the people. Even Greek philosophers knew that.

Read Aristotle's politics... It is practically in the first line, no fooling, dumb bell... Whether the good is metaphysical good or not, it is still a moral form... There is no physical quality we can associate with good...Good is a meaning without a specific being, and what I say is true of all moral forms... They are not of physical/material reality... They are spiritual qualities we find essential in our lives... And it is out of these ideas/forms, that we build our social forms...

Forget you... Let me Quote the first line of book one of Politics: "Every state is a community of some kind, and every community is established with a view to some good, for mankind always act in order to obtain that which they think good." Second line; More of the same: "But if all communities aim at some good, the state, or political community, which is the highest of all, and which embraces all the rest, aims, and in a greater degree than any other, at the highest good..."

You are certainly a stupid ass to match words with me... I have told you; I have read, and I know what I am talking about, and others may have said it differently, and perhaps even have better terms for it, but our conclusions are the same because given the evidence available there is no other rational conclusion... It does not matter that the moral form of good has no firm definition... People think they know what it is, and our government, in particular, spelled out the good they hoped to achieve with the social form they created... Who cares that they have failed, and that we have all failed to reach the goals they enumerated??? If you trashed the entire constitution tomorrow those goals would remain the goals of all intelligent people...
parados

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 07:02 am
@Fido,
Quote:
You are certainly a stupid ass to match words with me... I have told you; I have read, and I know what I am talking about, and others may have said it differently, and perhaps even have better terms for it, but our conclusions are the same because given the evidence available there is no other rational conclusion

When they say it the opposite of you Fido, it isn't the same. I think you have an issue where you read into anything what you already believe. Your comment on another thread about how Greenspan was worried about how low home ownership had fallen was an example of you being so far off on the facts that your conclusions couldn't possibly be the same.
Fido

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 07:09 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
You are certainly a stupid ass to match words with me... I have told you; I have read, and I know what I am talking about, and others may have said it differently, and perhaps even have better terms for it, but our conclusions are the same because given the evidence available there is no other rational conclusion

When they say it the opposite of you Fido, it isn't the same. I think you have an issue where you read into anything what you already believe. Your comment on another thread about how Greenspan was worried about how low home ownership had fallen was an example of you being so far off on the facts that your conclusions couldn't possibly be the same.
What the hell does belief have to do with Greenspan??? I heard it out of his own mouth after the fall in testimony before congress... He was worried about the erosion of support for property rights if they could not keep home ownership at a high level... He just did not believe financiers could be so reckless in the pursuit of profits that they could show no self regulation... He is an idiot... Like that guy from Tammany Hall said so many years ago: I saw my chances and I took 'em... All of those people are getting rich on other people's money... If they lose it all they won't be a dime poorer than they started out... How would such people ever self regulate???

Now, get to the point... Cic said something about Greek Philosophers I instantly proved wrong, and you run to his defense... There is not one brain between the two of you...

And something else...I reject belief all together... If I know a thing I say I know it... If I have evidence for something and think it true based upon evidence I say that... If I believe something is true it is because I know I do not know, and do not trouble people with it... Cic is one for shooting off his mouth and calling others ignorant when clearly he has not done his homework... Who would make such a blanket statement about Greek philosophers as he when it is a great labor to read about them, and to read the cream of the crop, and to have some appreciation of all that has been lost in regard to their writings; let alone reading and studying them all...
parados

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 07:28 am
@Fido,
Quote:
Greenspan pushed the lowering of mortgage restrictions because he thought that home ownership in America was reaching such a low lever that support for property right would be endangered

This is what you said about Greenspan Fido. It has little relationship to what you now claim to have said. Keeping home ownership at a high level would mean home ownership is the opposite of being at a low level.

Home ownership was at an all time high when Greenspan was in charge. It has only fallen in the last couple of years and is still close to historic levels.

That is the example that is much clearer than going through Aristotle's Politics to show instances where he states rulers can rule badly. Or to point out to you that "good" as used by Aristotle doesn't equate to "good of the people" unless you want to argue that it is "good" for slavery to exist and it is "good" for the slaves.
Fido

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 08:42 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
Greenspan pushed the lowering of mortgage restrictions because he thought that home ownership in America was reaching such a low lever that support for property right would be endangered

This is what you said about Greenspan Fido. It has little relationship to what you now claim to have said. Keeping home ownership at a high level would mean home ownership is the opposite of being at a low level.

Home ownership was at an all time high when Greenspan was in charge. It has only fallen in the last couple of years and is still close to historic levels.

That is the example that is much clearer than going through Aristotle's Politics to show instances where he states rulers can rule badly. Or to point out to you that "good" as used by Aristotle doesn't equate to "good of the people" unless you want to argue that it is "good" for slavery to exist and it is "good" for the slaves.

Why don't you look it up yourself, because I have no idea where it stood historically, but he seemed to be afraid of support for property rights slipping without more people owning their own homes... Now, people see that home ownership amounts to a certain feeling allowed to them by the banks, and they may come to realize in time who actually owns the home if they are paying a mortgage... I am from one of those auto-building towns, and one would have to say we have had some good times, and it is a university town... It does not seem like we have any high proportion of home ownership compared to rental... There was a housing boom here too, to go along with the baby boom; but it would seem more of a shift from country to suburbs, and from City to suburbs... The city and county looked pretty dead... Why not key into the Greenspan testimony... It was nice to see the guy admit that his principals of free market economics were dashed...

How many people own their homes free and clear... What proportion must choose between paying their mortgage or rent instead of health insurance??? What portion of the population will ever escape debt???
Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 08:55 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Not that it matters for this particular discussion, but to Aristotle, slaves weren't people in the politically relevant sense. Only their masters were. By his classification, then, slavery was good for the people---because it was good for slave owners, and the welfare of slaves didn't count.
parados

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 09:56 am
@Fido,
Quote:
Why don't you look it up yourself

Why should I look up what you got wrong?

Perhaps you should provide a link to the transcript of Greenspan's testimony and where he said anything about home ownership being at a low. You won't find it because Greenspan wouldn't have said it.

Quote:
It does not seem like we have any high proportion of home ownership compared to rental.
That is just pulling facts out of the air with no idea whether you are correct or not. Again, you are wrong.

According to the US Census Bureau home ownership in the US in 2009 was 67%. Home ownership is twice the rate of rental.
http://www.danter.com/statistics/homeown.htm
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 10:03 am
@Fido,
Generally, the proponent of a certain point or position is responsible for presenting data to authenticate that position. As the proponent of a statement that Greenspan was purported to have said, the burden lies upon you to provide supporting documentation.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 10:35 am
From Greenspan's speech of January 2002:
Quote:
With these important benefits, an increased rate of home ownership has been chosen by our society as a national priority, with many public- and private-sector resources devoted to achieving this goal. Indeed, measurable progress has been made toward this end, with the overall rate of home ownership reaching 68 percent, a new high, in the third quarter of last year. In assessing the opportunity for home ownership in underserved markets, the Census Bureau reports significant gains. The homeownership rate for blacks and Hispanics, between 1997 and 2001, grew at more than double the pace for the general population. Additionally, the homeownership rate among households earning less than the median income increased more than three times the pace for households with incomes above the median.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 10:37 am
As for Aristotle and governments, he examined and analyzed 158, and found only 3 to be good.
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 10:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
As for Aristotle and governments, he examined and analyzed 158, and found only 3 to be good.

What was this thread about?

Has the ease with which the multitudes can be lead down a path toward failure changed since Aristotle? Perhaps it has gotten easier with the huge changes in communications ability and effectiveness. I've seen a change in attitudes just in my lifetime. Or, is the tea party really just another 'hippie' rebellion?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 10:58 am
@IRFRANK,
IRF, I was responding to Fido's post:
Quote:
Read Aristotle's politics... It is practically in the first line, no fooling, dumb bell... Whether the good is metaphysical good or not, it is still a moral form... There is no physical quality we can associate with good...Good is a meaning without a specific being, and what I say is true of all moral forms... They are not of physical/material reality... They are spiritual qualities we find essential in our lives... And it is out of these ideas/forms, that we build our social forms...

Forget you... Let me Quote the first line of book one of Politics: "Every state is a community of some kind, and every community is established with a view to some good, for mankind always act in order to obtain that which they think good." Second line; More of the same: "But if all communities aim at some good, the state, or political community, which is the highest of all, and which embraces all the rest, aims, and in a greater degree than any other, at the highest good..."

You are certainly a stupid ass to match words with me... I have told you; I have read, and I know what I am talking about, and others may have said it differently, and perhaps even have better terms for it, but our conclusions are the same because given the evidence available there is no other rational conclusion... It does not matter that the moral form of good has no firm definition... People think they know what it is, and our government, in particular, spelled out the good they hoped to achieve with the social form they created... Who cares that they have failed, and that we have all failed to reach the goals they enumerated??? If you trashed the entire constitution tomorrow those goals would remain the goals of all intelligent people...

I needed to refute what Fido said about Aristotle's thesis on governments.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 11:00 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

parados wrote:

Not that it matters for this particular discussion, but to Aristotle, slaves weren't people in the politically relevant sense. Only their masters were. By his classification, then, slavery was good for the people---because it was good for slave owners, and the welfare of slaves didn't count.
The were not citizens, but wards, and they did not have rights, but on the other hand, no person could be made a slave without his own consent, so there was some democracy to the situation...And there was honor involved as well, since people accepted slavery on their own word, and received what limited freedom they were allowed on their honor... Their condition in the time of Plato compared to the average poor Athenian must not have been too extreme... One rich man complained that you could not strike or push a slave in rags out of your way for fear of striking a citizen; who had rights... But those rights were under assault because their economy made those unequally wealthy believe equal civil rights were unnecessary... And Aristotle at one point repeats the Olgarchic Oath: I will be an enemy of the people... With wealth goes rights...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 11:10 am
@parados,
Quote:
parados wrote:

Quote:
Why don't you look it up yourself

Why should I look up what you got wrong?

Perhaps you should provide a link to the transcript of Greenspan's testimony and where he said anything about home ownership being at a low. You won't find it because Greenspan wouldn't have said it.
You should look it up because you are the one disputing the point, just as I looked up the words or Aristotle... And, and honestly as well, If my ass were on this computer I couldn't find it... I have no trouble finding other asses though...

Quote:
Quote:
It does not seem like we have any high proportion of home ownership compared to rental.
That is just pulling facts out of the air with no idea whether you are correct or not. Again, you are wrong.

According to the US Census Bureau home ownership in the US in 2009 was 67%. Home ownership is twice the rate of rental.
http://www.danter.com/statistics/homeown.htm
What percent actually own their homes free and clear... What percent owe more than their homes are worth??? What percent is living paycheck to paycheck, fearful that the the job that makes their home ownership possible will evaporate??? I don't know what Mr. Greenspan saw, but I am fairly certain of what he said... So another question: What total percentage of the population, men, women and children live in rental as opposed to mortgaged property??? Perhaps he was looking at a total of political support... It is like trailor homes, that may have a mortgage, but not qualify as a homestead, or for the home interest tax credit... So; if you know your way around, see if you can find those details...
Fido

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 11:34 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That is absolutly beside the point... No one sets out to do badly, and all forms become degraded... The only real government is self government, and it is easily perverted, and has serious weaknessess when speed is required for defense... You have to realize that failed forms did not just die, but caused the deaths of their whole societies... And still, it is in the changing of forms that humanity has always progressed, survived and thrived... If we do not understand what forms are, and that history is the changing of forms, then we are trapped like rats in our particular form and will be one more of history's victims...
All people have their forms... Their forms are how they build stability into their relationships... People can have a love relationship without the form of marriage, but if they seek stability rather than informality, they marry... But on a national level, the form of their government, or economy or riligion or education or all together can limit every person's perspective, their options, their freedom, and at the same time limit the whole societies freedom of movement and options... A whole society can get locked into an automatic mode of behavior, like we did in Afghanistan, saying we have to do this because they did that, or we will lose face... Where did that idea come from??? The East??? Some land of Ancient feudalism and tyranny??? How often does a culture as a form come to dominate their thoughts, or some form like race, as it did to the Germans??? The object is to play fast and loose with reality, and be able to adapt, and forms are how we adapt, but we must often reform the form or trash it all together... As Burman pointed out in Law and Revolution, nearly as soon as revolution was complete in a country, law as a form was quickly resurrected... By the end of the second world war, even the soviet Russians had attorneys and judges who could hold their own with the allies in the war crimes trials... And look at the code of Napoleon which transformed war torn Europe to such an extent that the royalist were never able to get it all back...

Instead of denying the role of moral forms in the creation of social forms, you should develop a consciousness of forms in our lives... Clearly and boldly, the moral forms that went into the creation of our constitution and declaration of independence are stated for all the world to see... Those moral forms suffer the weakness of all moral forms in the fact that they are infinites, and so cannot be defined... Yet we should know after 2oo plus years whether the social form is making any progress toward achieving its goals... The preamble is the least quoted section of the constitution...It is as though it does not exist, and why??? It is because the social form has failed and failed beyond any hope of reclaimation... The government does not work, and the society does not work, and the economy does not work, and it is not because the goals were unworthy of a great people, but because the form was subverted almost from conception...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 11:41 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

What was this thread about?

Has the ease with which the multitudes can be lead down a path toward failure changed since Aristotle? Perhaps it has gotten easier with the huge changes in communications ability and effectiveness. I've seen a change in attitudes just in my lifetime. Or, is the tea party really just another 'hippie' rebellion?

So people can be mis-led... But the rich often have perished with the society they helped to empoverish and mislead... And the people sense that the true power they need in their lives and affairs has been denied to them, and that was fine when the country was young, and opportunity was everywhere... With capitalism gone global in a big way, Americans are seeing themselves reduced to slaves with a third world status... We still have a huge military, but we must support it because the rich who need it and benefit from it refuse to support it... One fact you cannot hide forever from people no matter how much you wag the flag in their face is their own unhappiness, fear, and frustration... They don't know what to do... I know what to do... Or rather; I know what they must know to change the world to one more to their liking...
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 11:41 am
It is because the social form has failed and failed beyond any hope of reclaimation... The government does not work, and the society does not work, and the economy does not work, and it is not because the goals were unworthy of a great people, but because the form was subverted almost from conception...

That is a very harsh critique indeed from someone sitting (I assume) in a comfortable house posting on a high speed, worldwide, communications platform with little censure. Is this statement meant as a measure of today's situation? Or did I take it out of context?

Is our American experiment dead? A failure? Is that what you are saying?
What's next?
Fido

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 11:47 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

It is because the social form has failed and failed beyond any hope of reclaimation... The government does not work, and the society does not work, and the economy does not work, and it is not because the goals were unworthy of a great people, but because the form was subverted almost from conception...

That is a very harsh critique indeed from someone sitting (I assume) in a comfortable house posting on a high speed, worldwide, communications platform with little censure. Is this statement meant as a measure of today's situation? Or did I take it out of context?

Is our American experiment dead? A failure? Is that what you are saying?
What's next?

It is a failure measured against its own goals which are all moral forms... It is not that most or even many of us are starving in the street... The essential moral qualities, the meaning if you will, has been denied to this people for far too long... It is easy to say and see the solution... But, just as in Jefferson's time; people need to learn formal consciousness...They have to be conscious of the forms around them, what is their purpose, in what sense they have failed and what they can do about it, that is the same thing that has been done with failed forms since the dawn of time... Shitcan them, and build new ones.... Nothing has to be perfect to work... Forget ideals, and look for the real...
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 11:47 am
@Fido,
Or rather; I know what they must know to change the world to one more to their liking...

This is a dangerous thought in and of itself. How can one, or even a group, change the world more to their liking? The world is what it is, we must change ourselves and how we react to the world to reap better results.

The farmer gets better crops by fertilizing in the spring and getting rain than bitching about the horse pulling the wagon to market in the fall.

Blame is plentiful and unrewarding.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 11:58 am
@IRFRANK,
IRF, Well stated; Fido thinks governments works, but history tells us it doesn't. Any improvement comes only from the self; not from any external source. We have seen what we consider both good and bad governments, and even good governments fail to be "good" all the time for the citizens.

A good example is the war GW Bush got us involved in Iraq. That was an unnecessary war that ended up wasting our resources, and killing hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis.

Intent is no panacea for reality. All humans make mistakes, and so do governments.