Critical thinking and political matters.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 03:03 am
@Fido,
You don't even have any idea of human history about wars. Your ideas of war makes no sense. Study a little about human history and wars.
Fido

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 05:48 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You don't even have any idea of human history about wars. Your ideas of war makes no sense. Study a little about human history and wars.

You know I have never been to war... I have been in a few fist fights and punched a few idiots in the nose; but I do not rate as any expert on war... But I have read a lot of history, and that necessitates a lot of reading about war... And I specifically have a lot of books on WWII which my father fought in and the Civil War, which another distant father fought in... Simply by raising my eyes I can see over three feet of books on the civil war, and Abraham Lincoln that I have read, and again, admit that it makes me no great expert, and yet I would take you to task as to whether you have and idea, and I do not... So try me, or quite trying my patience..

If this is the notion that gives you a stiffy, let me rephrase it... Feuds and feuding improved humanity but slowed educational and technological progress; but the system of law making possible modern western nation states has made educational and technological advancement possible, and also modern world wars of great violence and terrible destruction... There is no substitute for justice, and that should be at the end of the social contract, that people giving up their right to immediate justice dispensed by self should have their society make a serious issue of justice for them... War abroad begins as injustice at home and ends with injustice at home...
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 12:00 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Quote:
Feuds and feuding improved humanity but slowed educational and technological progress;

Actually, no. Feuding did not "improve humanity." It killed millions of humans based on nothing more than political disagreements.
It did not "slow educational and technological progress." Many of the so-called technological advances happened based on war machine R&D.
Even in olden times when the tools of war were limited to spears, swords, and bows and arrows, they all tried to their best to improve these tools of war with better medals and to improve accuracy.

Fido wrote:
Quote:
but the system of law making possible modern western nation states has made educational and technological advancement possible, and also modern world wars of great violence and terrible destruction...

Of coarse, but not necessarily "modern." The oldest schools and universities began in Europe, but most of Asia's royalty evolved from the intelligent men who passed tests to work for the governance of their country. Japan was a leader in education in all of Asia for their population which eventually translated into economic and military power.

What you term "system of law making" is contradicted by how the European nations colonized many countries around the world, and repressed them from advancing educationally and economically.

Going further back in history, the three major conquerors were Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, and Tamerlane. Study about them; they took over much of that part of the world through their armies. There are plenty of resources on the internet.
talk72000

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 01:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I saw a DVD where Austria started a medical school based on saving the wounded soldiers. Cadavers of criminals were used to teach surgeons anatomy. The DVD shows all the books and cadavers on show at the medical center.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 02:41 pm
@talk72000,
Have you ever visited the Mutter Museum in Philly? It's a medical museum with displays of medical instruments and many pictures of disease. They have human parts on display, and many from the famous and not so famous. They charge $10, and it's worth every penny!
talk72000

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 02:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No. I guess I would probably find it 'ugh'. I remember seeing a frog dissected and it didn't appeal to me.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 02:47 pm
@talk72000,
High school biology? LOL Look what med students have to do early in their training. Even when they're dead, cutting into humans can't be appealing in any way.
talk72000

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 02:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That is why I didn't go into medicine. I can stand the blood but the rest is too much for me. Embarrassed
rabel22

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 03:23 pm
@IRFRANK,
Many of the rules of the roman Catholic religion are man made rules. There are basic rules that the bible states as the 10 commandments but most cathiolics use their moral compass in order to know the difference between right and wrong. There is such a thing as conseince but the greedy people override what they know to be wrong for gain. I still think it isent religion but people who are at fault.
Fido

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Quote:
Fido wrote:
Quote:
Feuds and feuding improved humanity but slowed educational and technological progress;

Actually, no. Feuding did not "improve humanity." It killed millions of humans based on nothing more than political disagreements.
It did not "slow educational and technological progress." Many of the so-called technological advances happened based on war machine R&D.
Even in olden times when the tools of war were limited to spears, swords, and bows and arrows, they all tried to their best to improve these tools of war with better medals and to improve accuracy.
How do you come by your statistics... An eye for an eye does not add up to a lot of people, because it does not take long before people get sick of the cost of vengeance, which is constant vigilance and hatred, and so make their peace...

Quote:
Fido wrote:
Quote:
but the system of law making possible modern western nation states has made educational and technological advancement possible, and also modern world wars of great violence and terrible destruction...

Of coarse, but not necessarily "modern." The oldest schools and universities began in Europe, but most of Asia's royalty evolved from the intelligent men who passed tests to work for the governance of their country. Japan was a leader in education in all of Asia for their population which eventually translated into economic and military power.

What you term "system of law making" is contradicted by how the European nations colonized many countries around the world, and repressed them from advancing educationally and economically.

Going further back in history, the three major conquerors were Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, and Tamerlane. Study about them; they took over much of that part of the world through their armies. There are plenty of resources on the internet.

From end to beginning; you should not confuse the conquests of the Mongols with those of Genghis Khan. Before three generations the tide was already turned against them, and in part because of the fact that they became more human, and spared life after they were convinced that the peasants were the true wealth of the land...

The Possessed ones, the Mamaluks handed them their first defeat, but since many had already converted to Islam they had more in common with the Mamaluks than their own people...I'm telling you I love all that stuff, and while the Mongols brought an end to classical Islam, they also sped our own technological development... We had the blow gun already, and all we needed was gun powder... But what is it you wish to say about those conquerors... Moral peoples, though primitive, barbarians like the Macadonians always have the edge against demoralized people... And isn't that what I have been trying to tell you, the morals equal the health of the community???

It may be of interest to you, as it was to me; but the heirtage of British rule as very often been stable government and workable laws in their former colonies... The reason more people speak English as a second language in this world is the same reason English is about 5 0% of Latin root words... Conquest leaves a mark, and no one conquered like the British, and often in the most peaceful way, with cheaply manufactured trade goods... Or in the example of China, with the help of opium...

And you should not minimize the effect of Bhudism in creating the educated man of China; nor the effect of war and famine in creating a more intelligent individual... Natual selection did more than make the chinese look chinese... It gave them about a ten IQ point advantage on America...
Fido

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Have you ever visited the Mutter Museum in Philly? It's a medical museum with displays of medical instruments and many pictures of disease. They have human parts on display, and many from the famous and not so famous. They charge $10, and it's worth every penny!

The museum os Science and industry has displays in its stairwells of thinly sliced human beings, with one cut front to back and the other sliced left to right...Ya; its about sickening...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:35 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

No. I guess I would probably find it 'ugh'. I remember seeing a frog dissected and it didn't appeal to me.

Well, frogs are nearly human... No one should presume that of a person...
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:38 pm
@Fido,
It was not buddhism that was the impetus for knowledge in the Far East; it was Confucius. If you understood buddhism at all, you would know it is a religion based on freeing oneself from pain and sorrow inherent in human life. It was about the self, not about the total population.
Fido

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

High school biology? LOL Look what med students have to do early in their training. Even when they're dead, cutting into humans can't be appealing in any way.

When Peter the Great visited England he went to view an autopsy... One of the Boyers in his party feinted, and when he was brought around, Peter made him take a bite out of the corpse...Take that for the embarassment...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:39 pm
@Fido,
Frogs are nearly human? Goddam, I ate frog's legs often when young.
Fido

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:41 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

That is why I didn't go into medicine. I can stand the blood but the rest is too much for me. Embarrassed

I was going to be a doctor because I like playing doctor; but I kept losing my patients... Then I tried to become a tree surgeon, and I kept falling out of my patients... I still play doctor, if anyone nice wants to play naughty..
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:43 pm
@rabel22,
rabel22 wrote:

Many of the rules of the roman Catholic religion are man made rules. There are basic rules that the bible states as the 10 commandments but most cathiolics use their moral compass in order to know the difference between right and wrong. There is such a thing as conseince but the greedy people override what they know to be wrong for gain. I still think it isent religion but people who are at fault.

All their rule are man made rules... God is retired...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It was not buddhism that was the impetus for knowledge in the Far East; it was Confucius. If you understood buddhism at all, you would know it is a religion based on freeing oneself from pain and sorrow inherent in human life. It was about the self, not about the total population.

Well let me look at that subject and see If I know anything you might need to learn...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 10:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Toooob steak too, I'll bet...
Razzleg

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 12:41 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

Toooob steak too, I'll bet...

unworthy of comment