Critical thinking and political matters.

Advocate

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 08:36 am
Pence, McConnell, et al., are having a hard time defending their desire to extend the tax cuts for the rich.

http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/2010/08/22/mcconnell-bush-pay/
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 08:41 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

ken did NOT pick Muslims: he quoted someone else, who identified an axiom.

HE picked the quote. Therefore, he made the statement. You are not making sense.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 09:00 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Quote:
A friend of mine, who comes from Mumbai (formerly Bombay) in India, told me that there is a saying in Hindi which goes something like, never argue with a Muslim, for he cannot be persuaded.

That could be said about just anybody. Including many on this board.
Why did you pick Muslims? Other than bigotry.
"white man speak with forked tongue"
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 09:23 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

plainoldme wrote:

HE picked the quote. Therefore, he made the statement. You are not making sense.

You mean that anyone who quotes anyone is endorsing what the quote says? So, if I quote Osama bin Laden, I am thereby endorsing the his sentiments? Hmm. I think the dictionary of quotation should be banned, don't you? (But please don't quote me. People will think I am insane, and since you quoted me then, according to you, people will think you too are insane because you are endorsing my crazy view that the dictionary of quotations should be banned).
Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 09:30 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

plainoldme wrote:

You mean that anyone who quotes anyone is endorsing what the quote says? So, if I quote Osama bin Laden, I am thereby endorsing the his sentiments? Hmm. I think the dictionary of quotation should be banned, don't you? (But please don't quote me. People will think I am insane, and since you quoted me then, according to you, people will think you too are insane because you are endorsing my crazy view that the dictionary of quotations should be banned).

I was hoping you were smarter than that. You rail against the Muslims in your posts and then use a Hindu saying that rails against Muslims. Now you want to distance yourself from that? What then, was your reason for posting the quote?

Your part about Bin Laden is just plain silly as is the rest that follows.

I can see now why you didn't answer a lot of my other posts if you have so much trouble being honest with this one.
Razzleg

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 10:53 am
@GoshisDead,
sigh...i know, but sometimes when you're in you're in...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 10:59 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Quote:
A friend of mine, who comes from Mumbai (formerly Bombay) in India, told me that there is a saying in Hindi which goes something like, never argue with a Muslim, for he cannot be persuaded.

That could be said about just anybody. Including many on this board.
Why did you pick Muslims? Other than bigotry.

It is not necessarily bigotry... The Muslims have a complete world view in their religion which tends to explain all that came before and all that will follow... And unlike our society, Western Society, their societies actually work, and when they do not it is their own mullahs that tell them when it is time to revolt... Their religious leaders refuse to go down with the ship as ours have so often done, but then, their constitutions do not tie church and state, such as the state is, together... So, yes, while the Muslims are the most reasonable people, in my opinion, they recognize and properly that reason has its place and moral forms cannot be understood in terms of reason... Look at the facts... Those people are intelligent, and given the opportunity excel beyond us in all manor or sciences, which require reason... If they should then devote themselves to their religion as a moral form having nothing whatever of logic to it, what can we say to sway them???
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:17 am
@Fido,
Fido, You speak about Muslims as if you know something. Let me clue you in about Muslims, because I have a friend who is a Muslim, and I have traveled in Muslim countries around the world - including the US.

Your ignorance is not supported by any reality; they are totally bigoted statements born of ignorance.

Many Muslim countries make it a crime to promote religion. Many do not require girls/women to wear burqas, and they wear western-style clothes. Some wear bikinis and shorts. They allow other religions to practice freely.

There are 1.6 billion Muslims in this world. The US population is 307 million, and of those who are against the mosque in NYC probably number less than 50 million (probably a lot less).

Where do you people get the idea that Muslims are against Americans, and want to destroy us?

Don't any of you have any common sense?

It seems by appearances, Muslim have more tolerance than the bigots we have in our country.
Fido

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:19 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

One of the craziest ideas of the right is to renew tax cuts for the rich. It is as though the disparity between the rich and the rest of us is not big enough now. And the cuts will not help small business, but will give $3 million apiece to the richest 120,000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/23/opinion/23krugman.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

I hope they succeed, and the reason is simple... Bankruptcy always preceeds revolution, and the rich are rich for the most part because they bankrupt the government... When the rich deny the government funds they deny government the ability to defend itself or their property rights, so instead of protecting their property by refusing to pay taxes they are leaving their property open to attack... Security is a form, a moral form of relationship... The rich cannot steal the security of everyone in society to have their own or they only make the form meaningless... I will tell you something... The rich do not want a country in which everyone feels they have to take their security from others to have it themselves, and they do not want a country in which they have all the wealth and property and others feel that to avoid death and destitution they must take from the rich... Just as with security, when the people look around and see that the rich has all the money, and they have none, they will not give that green paper any meaning at all, but will seek meaning in different forms of relationship... So as a practical matter, the sooner the rich win what should be an infinite game, the sooner they lose it, and all... What they do is not so unusual, and they are not so cruel as the economy they profit by... They see the moral forms of life, the value and meaning of life in social terms, like money and wealth, and property, with the end result that all moral forms are devalued in their eyes simply because a price cannot be put on the priceless... And while they are thoughtless to do so, because they do as they have learned to do as they do without critical judgement, so they are themselves worthless without being evil... What will they say when no price is put on their suffering and deaths at the hands of the millions who have suffered for their pleasure???
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:26 am
@Fido,
Fido, Why is it that people like you do not realize that our governments are all going bankrupt? The salaries and benefits by union groups in government employment are eating more of their budgets that cannot be sustained, because it continues to eat away at essential services and the upkeep of our infrastructure.

By your stance, what you are saying is that you prefer doing without any government services. As more people lose their jobs, government intervention becomes necessary, because without it our streets will find dead people and/or more crimes.

Your blind belief in "no tax increase for the rich" impacts everyone. I hope none of your family members or friends are in need of government support, because you wish to not have the funds to do it with.

Your bigotry and no common sense stance on many issues are an abomination to our country.
Fido

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:30 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

plainoldme wrote:

O do not agree that any dictionary of quotations should be banned... I am wordy where others are precise and to the point, and I honest to God love the ability to state an obvious truth in a few, well chosen words... I own a couple of them, and only want more... They are wisdom's little puzzel box that one must be wise to open... And even you might benefit with fewer words and more wisdom... Some stupidity deserves no reply...Unless joining the stupid in a hog wallow is your idea of fun...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:34 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

plainoldme wrote:

I was hoping you were smarter than that. You rail against the Muslims in your posts and then use a Hindu saying that rails against Muslims. Now you want to distance yourself from that? What then, was your reason for posting the quote?

Your part about Bin Laden is just plain silly as is the rest that follows.

I can see now why you didn't answer a lot of my other posts if you have so much trouble being honest with this one.

Kenn is a pretty smart fellow in some respects, but if he is not missing the point he is often ignoring it in preference to a point he can beat that was never advanced to begin with... If you think you are right then carry on...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Fido, You speak about Muslims as if you know something. Let me clue you in about Muslims, because I have a friend who is a Muslim, and I have traveled in Muslim countries around the world - including the US.

Your ignorance is not supported by any reality; they are totally bigoted statements born of ignorance.

Many Muslim countries make it a crime to promote religion. Many do not require girls/women to wear burqas, and they wear western-style clothes. Some wear bikinis and shorts. They allow other religions to practice freely.

There are 1.6 billion Muslims in this world. The US population is 307 million, and of those who are against the mosque in NYC probably number less than 50 million (probably a lot less).

Where do you people get the idea that Muslims are against Americans, and want to destroy us?

Don't any of you have any common sense?

It seems by appearances, Muslim have more tolerance than the bigots we have in our country.

You do not know what you are talking about if you do not think that Islam is in inevitable conflict with this country, and not because we are Christians, as few of us are to any degree, but because we believe in capital above common sense, apart from reason, and accept all the sin and blasphemy that goes with that belief... I like Islam, as I said, and were it possible to accept God as the God demands, I would be with them, and one of them... They are more moral and just than we because they make a point of it... We are teaching them that all western values are flawed, and that we are only some Sodom that needs to be razed from the earth so the earth can know peace... If we are to win, in any sense, this war against terror we will have to show those people that we are virtuous, and weed out the pagans who put wealth, power, sex, and violence between themselves and God, and who value it all before human life... Yes, we are in conflict, but they are the ones true to their ideals and moral forms, and we are the defective ones, and should be afraid... I have no misconceptions about Islam, and neither do you... No Christian or Jew ever knew more than a token equality with a muslim in a foreign land, as a legal fiction, and yet each religion learned to make its peace... We can do the same if we can demonstrate that we are not infidels... In that regard, I respect the book, the Holy Qu'ran, the prophet, and all the Prophets, peace be upon them, and all the people of Islam... They have nothing to fear from me, but I do not want to be caught in an unnecessary cross fire... Let us have peace and give ourselves justice..
Fido

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 12:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Fido, Why is it that people like you do not realize that our governments are all going bankrupt? The salaries and benefits by union groups in government employment are eating more of their budgets that cannot be sustained, because it continues to eat away at essential services and the upkeep of our infrastructure.

By your stance, what you are saying is that you prefer doing without any government services. As more people lose their jobs, government intervention becomes necessary, because without it our streets will find dead people and/or more crimes.

Your blind belief in "no tax increase for the rich" impacts everyone. I hope none of your family members or friends are in need of government support, because you wish to not have the funds to do it with.

Your bigotry and no common sense stance on many issues are an abomination to our country.

With absolutly no respect intended, you are an idiot... This is a common wealth, and the aims of our government are clearly stated and have never been approached let alone reached... It is because the wealth of this land was so great that it has taken so long to swallow up that we have survived the injustice we have always been forced to endure... It is the job of government to give justice, and if that means taxing the rich they should do so...This government once funded itself with taxes on property, and while they did so, labor was dear and property was cheap because it was always being thrown on the market... The income tax was made constitutional by people who never believed it would affect them and thought it was a means of bleeding the rich the way the rich bled them... At first, it only effected 11 to 13% of the population, and that is what people thought it should effect, but now they have pushed it down to 50% of the population where it drives people to work harder, and longer for less, and to endure high interests to have any property whatever, which is not cheap because low taxes allow property to be held for years in speculations... So now, wages are driven down, and the price of property is driven up and taxes on wages have redistributed most property from the poor to the rich who are not taxed... Blame it on the workers??? The size of government has shrunk, and it is doing more for less, and with less people employed, and services have diminished along with expectations from the government...The poor do with less, and suffer more... They suffer more crime, and there are more private police in this country in the employ of the rich than there are public police, even while the public police are devoted to the support of the rich... They cannot afford taxes, but they can afford to turn government from its stated objectives to theirs... But this is a common wealth, and if we will be a nation we must understand that the wealth of this country that is our country has to support the entire population because there is no other way... I want to see the rich with all of it because then the game will be over for them and we can send them to the guillotine... Maybe you would like to ride along???
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 12:13 pm
@Fido,
Infidels are alive and well in every culture and religion. Your statements do not have any reality to common sense to them - just fear tactics as used by conservatives in this country.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 01:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Indeed, and they just showed it by stoning to death a young couple who eloped. In Saudi Arabia, a man's spinal chord was damaged by some person. The sentence of the courts was that, since Sharia law dictates an eye-for-an-eye, the man who did the damaging of the spinal chord, must have his spinal chord damaged. So they are running around looking for some hospital that damages spinal chords. Nice.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 01:41 pm
@kennethamy,
cicerone imposter wrote:
kennethamy wrote:
Indeed, and they just showed it by stoning to death a young couple who eloped. In Saudi Arabia, a man's spinal chord was damaged by some person. The sentence of the courts was that, since Sharia law dictates an eye-for-an-eye, the man who did the damaging of the spinal chord, must have his spinal chord damaged. So they are running around looking for some hospital that damages spinal chords. Nice.
U succeeded in making your point very well !

David
wandeljw

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 01:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:
kennethamy wrote:

David

Is kennethamy still maintaining that this issue has nothing to do with his feelings about Muslims?
kennethamy

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 02:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:
kennethamy wrote:

David

Yes I did, didn't I? But really, the target is too large and obvious to miss. It is like the side of a large barn.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 02:12 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

David

Is kennethamy still maintaining that this issue has nothing to do with his feelings about Muslims?

[/quote]

Since I never claimed that, how could I still be claiming that? What sort of feelings have you in mind? Neither did I claim that it had nothing to do with the feelings of Seventh-Dar Adventists. I am sure that Muslims have all kind of feelings about the matter. I really have no idea what you are talking about. But I am sure that the defeat of Nazi Germany had all sorts of effect on the feelings of the Germans. So what?