Critical thinking and political matters.

Fido

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:04 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

parados wrote:

You mean it wasn't caused by emotion?

If I decide to take a walk to "stretch my legs" is that caused by emotion? That phrase is ordinarily used for an action like being in tears because of the death of someone you care about. Why would you think that we should also use that phrase to apply to something like deciding to take a walk to stretch my legs?

You cannot say that something that cannot be defined can be the "cause" of anything.... Any quality of meaning that plays into peoples lives that cannot be defined is a moral form, and as with emotions, all moral forms are iffational... Reason is our reply to the physical world, but in all physical forms following reason there are the driving forces of irrationality... You may search for a rational reason for stretching your legs, and you may find quite creditable ones. In fact, there are more reasons than stated involving all you know and all you think behind your most simple actions, including all you feel and believe true... What we do we do because of what we are and who we are and that is part of some complex fluid dynamic called self that we cannot really put a finger on...So it is not so simple as emotion, but it is not more complex than basic irrationality...
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:26 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
The point is that a mosque ought not to be erected at the site because it (1) tends to symbolize defiance, and (2) justification of the attacks. And (3) offend and hurt people who were harmed by the attack.

Erection of the mosque would symbolize defiance and justification of the attacks only to those people who conflate the erection of the mosque with the attacks. Those people are committing an association fallacy, which is a type of red herring, and which has at its base an appeal to emotion.

The people harmed by the attacks who would be offended and hurt by the erection of the mosque fall under the description above.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

parados wrote:
If he had claimed to act on behalf of the military would it mean he actually was acting on behalf of the military?
That is a VERY GOOD analogy for the point of vu
that exculpates Moslems, as a whole, from the evil of 9/11/1; nice job.

David

Has this argument altered your stance on the mosque issue?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:09 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Quote:
The point is that a mosque ought not to be erected at the site because it (1) tends to symbolize defiance, and (2) justification of the attacks. And (3) offend and hurt people who were harmed by the attack.

Erection of the mosque would symbolize defiance and justification of the attacks only to those people who conflate the erection of the mosque with the attacks. Those people are committing an association fallacy, which is a type of red herring, and which has at its base an appeal to emotion.

The people harmed by the attacks who would be offended and hurt by the erection of the mosque fall under the description above.

What is the "association fallacy"? Suppose you attempt to kill me, but I escape. I see you later, and I run away. Have I committed the association fallacy? If I associate the Nazi Swastika with aggression and anti-semitism have I committed the association fallacy? When is it a fallacy to associate two things and when is it not? Or have you any idea?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:28 pm
@InfraBlue,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

parados wrote:
If he had claimed to act on behalf of the military would it mean he actually was acting on behalf of the military?
That is a VERY GOOD analogy for the point of vu
that exculpates Moslems, as a whole, from the evil of 9/11/1; nice job.

David
InfraBlue wrote:

Has this argument altered your stance on the mosque issue?
No, but I admire that he was deft in its use.

David
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:46 pm
@kennethamy,
But their point is that the association between 1.) Radical, hateful murder and 2.) The Islam religion, is wrong.

The fallacy is thus:
Those who murdered on 9/11 were Muslim
Those who murdered on 9/11 were hateful radicals
Therefore all Muslims are hateful radicals

A mosque is not a symbol of deviance or hateful radicalism, because all Muslims are not hateful radicals, nor does the religion advocate hateful radicalism. The vast majority are not hateful radicals, and in fact, only a small percentage are (and it should be noted that hateful radicals are not exclusive to the Islam faith). Drawing the association between (1) and (2) seems to be fallacious.

But if you do draw this association, why do you not draw an association between 1.) The hateful radicalism of the crusades and 2.) The Christian religion or construction of churches?

The irony is that, despite this, I don't think a mosque should be built near ground zero either. This is because I know people aren't as understanding as me, and quite a few Muslims would wind up dead. The mosque would probably be burned to the ground within two weeks - with the Muslims inside. At the least, someone would crash a personal airplane into it.
parados

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:02 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
What is the "association fallacy"? Suppose you attempt to kill me, but I escape. I see you later, and I run away
Here you are running from the specific person that did the act. In the case of the mosque you are not doing that.

Quote:

Have I committed the association fallacy? If I associate the Nazi Swastika with aggression and anti-semitism have I committed the association fallacy?
Here you are using the symbol used and presented by a group that practiced antisemitism as the basis for your association. However, the symbol was also used by Hindus. If you were to accuse Hindus of being antisemitic based solely on their use of the Swastika then you would be making an association fallacy.
http://www.religionfacts.com/hinduism/symbols/swastika.htm

Quote:

When is it a fallacy to associate two things and when is it not? Or have you any idea?
There are a couple of questions to ask yourself.
1. Is the particular item specific only to those you are blaming? In the first case, being the same person would allow you to do that. In the case of symbol that looks like a swastika, then the answer would be no.

2. You then ask if the use of the symbol is being used specifically to cause the response you feel. In the case of a neonazi marching with a German swastika, the answer would clearly be yes. He would even tell you as much. In the case of Hindu use, it would be different.

Now that leads us to your claim that the mosque is a symbol of radical Islam. That leads to some serious flaws in your argument.
1. Al Qaeda organized the WTC attacks.
2. Al Qaeda are muslims.
3. Not all muslims are Al Qaeda.
4. Al Qaeda don't frequent mosques in NYC.
5. Al Qaeda have built no mosques that you can point to where they commemorated a victory.

You associate Al Qaeda with all muslims which is the most glaring of your logical failings.
Arjuna

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:07 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

The irony is that, despite this, I don't think a mosque should be built near ground zero either. This is because I know people aren't as understanding as me, and quite a few Muslims would wind up dead. The mosque would probably be burned to the ground within two weeks - with the Muslims inside. At the least, someone would crash a personal airplane into it.

I think that's crossed a few minds. It reminds me of the days when it was dangerous for blacks and whites to associate during the Jim Crow era. There were cases of churches in the South that were racially blended receiving death threats. The members chose to separate for that reason.

I can't criticise their decision because I don't face what they did, but I'd say the National Guard should have been there to protect them. In my fantasy world the National Guard protects Americans.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:13 pm
@Zetherin,
Quote:

Probably not going to happen simply because it will be forgotten in the 3 years or longer it will take to complete the project.

As a new building, it wouldn't burn to the ground because it would be sprinklered and have all the latest protection.

It would take a hell of a pilot to get through the taller buildings and crash into this specific one. I don't think anyone irrational enough to do such a thing would be that good of a pilot.

Of course, that doesn't mean some crazy won't show up with a gun and shoot a security guard before he is tackled and arrested but then that happens at museums -
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/10/AR2009061001768.html
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:14 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
What is the "association fallacy"? Suppose you attempt to kill me, but I escape. I see you later, and I run away
Here you are running from the specific person that did the act. In the case of the mosque you are not doing that.

Quote:

Have I committed the association fallacy? If I associate the Nazi Swastika with aggression and anti-semitism have I committed the association fallacy?
Here you are using the symbol used and presented by a group that practiced antisemitism as the basis for your association. However, the symbol was also used by Hindus. If you were to accuse Hindus of being antisemitic based solely on their use of the Swastika then you would be making an association fallacy.
http://www.religionfacts.com/hinduism/symbols/swastika.htm

Quote:

When is it a fallacy to associate two things and when is it not? Or have you any idea?
There are a couple of questions to ask yourself.
1. Is the particular item specific only to those you are blaming? In the first case, being the same person would allow you to do that. In the case of symbol that looks like a swastika, then the answer would be no.

2. You then ask if the use of the symbol is being used specifically to cause the response you feel. In the case of a neonazi marching with a German swastika, the answer would clearly be yes. He would even tell you as much. In the case of Hindu use, it would be different.

Now that leads us to your claim that the mosque is a symbol of radical Islam. That leads to some serious flaws in your argument.
1. Al Qaeda organized the WTC attacks.
2. Al Qaeda are muslims.
3. Not all muslims are Al Qaeda.
4. Al Qaeda don't frequent mosques in NYC.
5. Al Qaeda have built no mosques that you can point to where they commemorated a victory.

Now that leads us to your claim that the mosque is a symbol of radical Islam.

You associate Al Qaeda with all muslims which is the most glaring of your logical failings.

Could you mention when I made that claim? Somehow I don't recall making that claim. My claim is that since radical Islamists murdered 3,000 people for their own loony reasons, it would be idiotic to erect a mosque near the site of the murder which would be reasonably taken as a sign of triumph and of defiance. The insistence on doing so even over the opposition of so many Americans makes the builders loony too. Or, in the words of the our president, of questionable wisdom. People do make associations after a traumatic event like 9/11. It is inevitable that they should do so. You do not think they should, and you call it a "fallacy" .
parados

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:17 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:

Could you mention when I made that claim? Somehow I don't recall making that claim. My claim is that since radical Islamists murdered 3,000 people for their own loony reasons, it would be idiotic to erect a mosque near the site of the murder which would be reasonably taken as a sign of triumph and of defiance.

Why would a mosque be taken as a sign of triumph and defiance?

Unless you are associating the mosque with terrorists there is no reason for it to be seen as such a sign.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:20 pm
kennethamy wrote:
People do make associations after a traumatic event like 9/11. It is inevitable that they should do so. You do not think they should, and you call it a "fallacy" .

Even if the associations are inevitable, that does not make them not fallacious.

And he didn't just make up that fallacy. It is called the Association fallacy.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:23 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
The insistence on doing so even over the opposition of so many Americans makes the builders loony too. Or, in the words of the our president, of questionable wisdom.

I see, so now if Obama doesn't comment on the wisdom it means he said the wisdom was questionable? Just more nonsense from you ken. But they you are full of it.

Quote:

People do make associations after a traumatic event like 9/11. It is inevitable that they should do so. You do not think they should, and you call it a "fallacy" .

That would be called bigotry. No one doubts that there aren't bigots who make associations that don't actually exist.

The fallacy would be claiming the association used in the bigotry is a logical argument.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:29 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

My claim is that since radical Islamists murdered 3,000 people for their own loony reasons, it would be idiotic to erect a mosque near the site of the murder which would be reasonably taken as a sign of triumph and of defiance.

Your claim that it would reasonably be taken as a sign of triumph and defiance would only hold true if the mosque was being built by the very radicals who flew the planes into the WTC.

You claim that you have not said that all Muslims are radicals. How then, do you justify your claim above?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:31 pm
why is ken so down on the shriners

i love those little cars
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/Dkfranken.jpg
beep beep
Very Happy
Zetherin

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:48 pm
kennethamy wrote:
When is it a fallacy to associate two things and when is it not?

That is a rather good question, and it is sometimes hard to tell. In a semi-rigorous form, from the site I linked to, it is fallacious to associate two things when the qualities of the first thing are not inherently qualities of another, but appear to be merely by an irrelevant association. In this case, it may appear that Muslims are hateful murderers, since the attacks were orchestrated by Muslims who were hateful murderers, but since the quality of being a hateful murder is not inherent in being a Muslim, the association is fallacious.

One of the justifications for our belief that Muslim are not inherently hateful murderers, is that the vast majority of Muslims are not hateful murderers. And the justifications are important since they help support why the above is a fallacy. But you're right when you claim that not all associations are fallacious.

To everyone: I think we have misunderstood kennethamy. He was never claiming that all Muslims are hateful bigots. I think what he was claiming was that, the inevitable association between Muslims and deviance/hateful radicalism, even if fallacious, is a good reason for why the mosque should not be built in that area. That is why it would be unwise. And if that is what he was claiming, I completely agree.

Zetherin

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:07 pm
Zetherin wrote:
He was never claiming that all Muslims are hateful bigots.

I meant he was never claiming that all Muslims are hateful murderers.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:17 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

To everyone: I think we have misunderstood kennethamy. He was never claiming that all Muslims are hateful bigots. I think what he was claiming was that, the inevitable association between Muslims and deviance/hateful radicalism, even if fallacious, is a good reason for why the mosque should not be built in that area. That is why it would be unwise. And if that is what he was claiming, I completely agree.

Is that not why many people would support the mosque? To prove that Americans aren't a bunch of idiots?
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:22 pm
@Zetherin,
So, because of the inevitable fallacious association between Muslims and deviance/hateful radicalism it's a good reason to not build the mosque?

Unless you explain why that is a good reason not to, you're begging the question.

Why should people's fallacious associations be reasons to do or refrain from doing anything?
Zetherin

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:22 pm
@Arjuna,
Maybe that is why some people would support the mosque. I don't know. What I do know is that if I were a Muslim who lived in NY and that mosque was built near ground zero, I wouldn't be going anywhere near it as I would fear for my safety.

Imagine being a Muslim walking down Church street in order to get to your mosque. Think you'd get a sneer or two?