Critical thinking and political matters.

Intrepid

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:29 am
@OmSigDAVID,
It was a good analogy to bring to light the bigotry that abounds, by some.
Thomas

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:38 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Thomas wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
1. You miss the point. My point is that this is not an attack on the religious freedom of Muslims (or anyone else) since if a non-religious organization had done the same thing there would have been the same kind of opposition to it.

I'm unclear on what you would regard as "a non-religious organization" doing "the same thing". Can you give an example?

Example? Murdering 3.000 people. How about that?

Okay, and what's the equivalent of the mosque that the non-murderous superset of this non-religious organization would be erecting?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 06:52 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
I saw the beauty of its showing the point of false representation; that Tim McV. did not represent the Army,
and Atta did not represent ALL of the Moslems
and that if he had alleged that he did, that allegation woud have been false.

I was not taking cognizance of any particular opinion, such as "bigotry",
which seems to be strongly held opinions of which modern liberals disapprove and therefore,
are illegitimate and must not be believed because the liberals don't like those opinions,
so u shoud adopt opinions that liberals LIKE.
I don 't buy that.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:33 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
And in America this is often settled by controversy

plainoldme wrote:
Controversy does not settle anything but rather it is controversy which must be resolved,
That is an ACCURATE analysis. I did not believe that u were able to DO that!
Do u have occasional flashes of lucidity?

plainoldme wrote:
either by finding a middle ground between two contested opinions
or by investigating the cause of the crisis.
or by war

David
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:35 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Thomas wrote:

kennethamy wrote:
1. You miss the point. My point is that this is not an attack on the religious freedom of Muslims (or anyone else) since if a non-religious organization had done the same thing there would have been the same kind of opposition to it.

I'm unclear on what you would regard as "a non-religious organization" doing "the same thing". Can you give an example?

Example? Murdering 3.000 people. How about that?

Okay, and what's the equivalent of the mosque that the non-murderous superset of this non-religious organization would be erecting?

The Shriners have temples all over the United States (and maybe, all over the world). But what difference would that make? Suppose that the Book of the Month Club proposed a new office building right next to the site where a group of members who thought that people were not buying enough books from the Book of the Month Club, and that summer reading was going down as a consequence, did the same thing the 9/11 terrorists did.

The belief that opposition to the mosque is an attack of religious freedom simply will not stand up to examination: The argument: If any group, religious or non-religious had done the same thing done by the 9/11 terrorists, the erection of a building on a site near the attack would have met with the same opposition. Therefore, it is just an accident that the opposition to the mosque is opposition to a religious structure. QED
kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Intrepid wrote:
I saw the beauty of its showing the point of false representation; that Tim McV. did not represent the Army,
and that if he had alleged that he did, that allegation woud have been false.

I was not taking cognizance of any particular opinion, such as "bigotry",
which seems to be strongly held opinions of which modern liberals disapprove and therefore,
are illegitimate and must not be believed because the liberals don't like those opinions,
so u shoud adopt opinions that liberals LIKE.
I don 't buy that.

David

No, Atta did not. But Atta did do it in the name of Islam, and because he was (he thought) defending Islam. On the other hand, McVeigh did not do it in the name of the Army, nor was his motive that he was defending the Army. So, there is absolutely no analogy to be drawn between Atta and Mcveigh.
parados

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
That is a VERY GOOD analogy for the point of vu
that exculpates Moslems, as a whole, from the evil of 9/11/1; nice job.

So you are saying you blame muslims as a whole for 9/11?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:57 am
@parados,
Quote:
That is a VERY GOOD analogy for the point of vu
that exculpates Moslems, as a whole, from the evil of 9/11/1; nice job.
parados wrote:

So you are saying you blame muslims as a whole for 9/11?
No.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:00 am
@kennethamy,
Quote:
No, Atta did not. But Atta did do it in the name of Islam, and because he was (he thought) defending Islam

Ok.. so you will provide us evidence of this then.
djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:06 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
On the other hand, McVeigh did not do it in the name of the Army

okay what if they wanted to build a trailer park near the memorial

think about it
kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:27 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

think about it

A trailer park is not a large triumphalist-looking building. And zoning laws would prevent them from building such a think in lower Manhattan. Have you a better example than that?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:28 am
@parados,
It's interesting reading the fatwa and comparing it to McVeighs reason for Oklahoma

Obama cites the US occupation of the Islamic holy land in Saudi Arabia,
McVeigh cites the US attack on the religious compound at Waco.

Doesn't that mean that no christian churches should be built in Oklahoma city out of respect for the dead?
0 Replies

Ahab

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:58 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

The Shriners have temples all over the United States (and maybe, all over the world). But what difference would that make? Suppose that the Book of the Month Club proposed a new office building right next to the site where a group of members who thought that people were not buying enough books from the Book of the Month Club, and that summer reading was going down as a consequence, did the same thing the 9/11 terrorists did.

The belief that opposition to the mosque is an attack of religious freedom simply will not stand up to examination: The argument: If any group, religious or non-religious had done the same thing done by the 9/11 terrorists, the erection of a building on a site near the attack would have met with the same opposition. Therefore, it is just an accident that the opposition to the mosque is opposition to a religious structure. QED

Why would there be opposition to the BOMC bulding nex to this site? It is clear that anyone who flew planes into a building in order to increase summer reading is absolutely cuckoo. Clearly, BOMC should not in any way be blamed for such insane behavior.

And any lawyer making your argument before the Supreme Court in order to deny that legal action taken against the building of the proposed Muslim community center is an infringemnt of their freedom of religion would likely be considered insane also.

For a little more sanity and common sense on this issue, I would recommend this article on the background of Feisal Abdul Rauf:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/nyregion/22imam.html?_r=1&hp
kennethamy

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 10:36 am
@Ahab,
Ahab wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Why would there be opposition to the BOMC bulding nex to this site? It is clear that anyone who flew planes into a building in order to increase summer reading is absolutely cuckoo. Clearly, BOMC should not in any way be blamed for such insane behavior.

And any lawyer making your argument before the Supreme Court in order to deny that legal action taken against the building of the proposed Muslim community center is an infringemnt of their freedom of religion would likely be considered insane also.

For a little more sanity and common sense on this issue, I would recommend this article on the background of Feisal Abdul Rauf:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/nyregion/22imam.html?_r=1&hp

So you think that Atta and his delightful companions were just "cuckoo"? I don't think so, and there is no evidence that they were. They left notes and videos what explained very well what their motives were. But, in any case, as I have explained, so many times, all this is beside the point. The point is that a mosque ought not to be erected at the site because it (1) tends to symbolize defiance, and (2) justification of the attacks. And (3) offend and hurt people who were harmed by the attack.

I think that a lawyer who defended against an action to deny the group the right to build might well use the religious liberty defense. But that still does not mean that the issue is an issue of religious liberty as I have just proved it is not. The fact that the issue of religious liberty might be raised does not show that it would be legitimate to raise it.

Since I read the New York Times each day (I have a subscription to it) I have already perused the article you linked. First of all, the newspaper, I notice, has not given a complete account of the things Rauf has said, some of which are very disturbing. Second of all, you once again miss the point. This is not about Rauf or any individual. Rauf's motives may be as pure as the driven snow (and his persistence in this matter leads me to doubt that is true). The issue has taken on a life of its own (partly this is Rauf's fault) because it is about what such an edifice would symbolize, and how it would affect vulnerable people.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 10:42 am
@kennethamy,
kenneth, You'll never "get it." Those who flew those planes into buildings were "radicals." You do know about radicals don't you? We have some home-grown ones from the US of A. They are all members of one organization or another whether it be religious, civil, or related to their schools or culture.

It's not logical to blame all of the same group for something a small representative group does from any group that is termed "terrorist activity."

If that were the case, please apply all your standards to all groups. Can you do that? Or are you not capable of logic?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 10:47 am
@kennethamy,
kenneth wrote:
Quote:

And when do you suspect the shriners or the BOMC are going to be attacking the US? Your imagination is worse than your logic; it proves no reality or common sense in how you try to justify discrimination against Muslims in this country.

Creative thinking is all you have with no prospect of it ever happening. Maybe, you will rape a young girl some day. Should we throw you in prison for what anyone can imagine?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 11:15 am
@kennethamy,
Quote:
Since I read the New York Times each day (I have a subscription to it) I have already perused the article you linked. First of all, the newspaper, I notice, has not given a complete account of the things Rauf has said, some of which are very disturbing.

Obviously so disturbing that the FBI hired him to do sensitivity training.

Do you think the FBI has lower standards than you when it comes to protecting the US from muslim radicals?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 11:52 am
@kennethamy,
kenneth, Tell us; are you a member of any church or organization? Have any member of your church or organization ever committed a crime? Can we now blame you for what the others have done, and discriminate against you from your freedoms?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 12:58 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
because it (1) tends to symbolize defiance, and (2) justification of the attacks. And (3) offend and hurt people who were harmed by the attack.

1.)How does a mosque symbolize defiance any more than a church does? It is a place of worship. It possible to make all kinds of cuckoo arguments like you are doing but that doesn't make your argument sound.
2.)How does a mosque symbolize the attacks? Again, it is a place of worship. It is possible to make cuckoo argument like you are doing but that doesn't make your argument sound.
3.) While the mosque may offend some people that is not a reason to oppose it since anything can and will offend someone. As for your claim it will harm people. How does a mosque harm people? It is a place of worship.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:02 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

think about it

What would be mor American than that, especially if there was an accompanying NasCar track.
0 Replies