The A2K NFL Fantasy Football League Is Now Open - Sort Of

thack45

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 07:52 pm
I am signed up in the league. Thanks to rjb and osso for the assist.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:10 pm
Cool.
Just two spots left in our league.
Hurry, hurry if you want to play.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 04:30 am
Folks can reach me via the Help Desk. I will fend off the other hamsters and answer you if you need me.

2 more players! C'mon, The Neurotic Tough Puppies are getting anxious!

Wait, uh, we're always like that.

PS Tico, why is Conan using a football for a, er, fig leaf?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 10:10 am
@jespah,
Quote:

PS Tico, why is Conan using a football for a, er, fig leaf?

Regular fig leafs are, well, inadequate for Conan.

If we need any more players, let me know - I know some people.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 02:48 pm
I've never taken part in a live draft online. What is that like? What are the time limit settings?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 03:01 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

I've never taken part in a live draft online. What is that like? What are the time limit settings?

A few minutes per pick. You set your order in advance, so you don't actually have to be there if you don't want to...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 03:21 pm
@thack45,
I've only done it once, quite fun, and there was j u s t a b o u t e n o u g h time, if my choices were taken, to look and pick the next preferred, given I already had my list made out. I forget the exact time, some minutes.
They do let you make an orderly 'immediate' list during the draft, so that while you are waiting for the clock's ticks for other Managers, you can plan ahead.

I've done as well or better by just listing my preferences in order and let the automatic thing do its job, but I'm not Ms. Football Smart. Also, you can stop in the middle of it and let the auto do the rest.

Tico knows all...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 03:48 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

Imagine intense pressure ... the kind of pressure that makes you want to open a window and scream, "I can't take it anymore!"

A live online draft is nothing like that.

I don't know the time limits, but as I recall you get about 1 minute once it is your turn to pick, but it seems more like 10 seconds.

I recommend you edit your pre-draft rankings in case you are unable to participate -- for whatever reason, including technical difficulties -- in which case the computer will auto pick for you based on your rankings.

I also recommend you check the league settings to see how you can score points. (e.g., throwing TDs are worth 4 points for your QB, receiving TD are worth 6 points for your WR, TE or RB, etc.)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 04:09 pm
I do the live draft and have found it to be intense. Typically, about a 4th or a 3rd of us go that route. The rest either pre-rank their player choices or let Yahoo make the picks. I believe, if you do the live thing, you have 90 seconds before a pick is made for you.
I might rank perhaps 60 players I am interested in. After that, though, I let Yahoo finish up for me.
As I recall, full participation in the live draft takes about an hour and a bit.

You should, of course, always draft a kicker in the 1st round.
thack45

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 04:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I do the live draft and have found it to be intense. Typically, about a 4th or a 3rd of us go that route. The rest either pre-rank their player choices or let Yahoo make the picks. I believe, if you do the live thing, you have 90 seconds before a pick is made for you.
I might rank perhaps 60 players I am interested in. After that, though, I let Yahoo finish up for me.
As I recall, full participation in the live draft takes about an hour and a bit.
I imagine that it would be intense if I were to attempt to make a selection in every round with 90 seconds ticking away...
Quote:
This would be foolish. The empirical data clearly indicates that the first string kicker should be selected in the third round, this being so only after the starting defense and its backup are selected.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 05:02 pm
@thack45,
He is, of course, pulling your leg.

Now for the real question: who is going to choose a QB in R1 this year instead of an RB? Very few teams feature a single RB who justifies an automatic first round pick....

Cycloptichorn
thack45

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Why is this the real question?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:46 pm
@thack45,
Well, if you don't know, I'm sure not gonna clue you in - until after the draft.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:01 pm
As you can see or will soon find out, a bit of gentle trash talking here is common.
jespah

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 06:34 am
@realjohnboy,
Gentle? I was scarred for days. George was trash talking in Latin! E pluribus unum this, pal!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 07:37 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:
realjohnboy wrote:
This would be foolish. The empirical data clearly indicates that the first string kicker should be selected in the third round, this being so only after the starting defense and its backup are selected.

It appears you have this thing figured out, thack.

As I recall, I drafted a WR in R1 last year ... worked for me. But I'm still targeting RBs ...
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 07:37 am
@Ticomaya,
... <ahem> ... I mean, of course, I'm targeting Defenses and Kickers.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:43 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

thack45 wrote:
realjohnboy wrote:

It appears you have this thing figured out, thack.

As I recall, I drafted a WR in R1 last year ... worked for me. But I'm still targeting RBs ...

Was that Andre Johnson?

Cycloptichorn
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:20 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Was that Andre Johnson?

Nope, Fitz with pick #6. Moss went #11. Johnson was RD2 at #19, after the first TE was off the board. Brees was the first QB at #2.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/3209/10hf.png
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 07:39 pm
So I have thus far ranked 20 players on my draft roster. More will be added over the weekend.

We are stuck on 12 players in the league, with room for 2 more. It is no big deal whether or not we get them.
But if anyone else would like to join the welcome mat is still out there and the porch light is on.