The A2K NFL Fantasy Football League Is Now Open - Sort Of

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:04 am
We are back for our 5th season. Our league can accommodate 14 players who either think they know something about football or just enjoy playing silly games.
We play using Yahoo. That requires registration there but it is painless and harmless. You pick a roster of real life really big guys (or let Yahoo do it for you). Then, over the course of the 17 week season, you get matched up each week against another player. Players in the past have come from across the U.S. and a few that cross our borders to participate. Nice people, with only one exception: an arrogant SOB who claims to have won this game a few times.

My role is to troll for 14 A2Ker's interested in playing. That typically takes about a week. Then the League Commissioner will set the game up on Yahoo.

Participation in the game takes perhaps an hour a week. But there are 17 weeks. We do ask that players be willing to commit to remain active for the full season regardless of how well or how badly they are doing. A player from, I think, upstate NY has a habit of finishing last, but he tries hard.

If you are interested, please post here and we will get this set up.
The NFL season starts September 9th!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 11,899 • Replies: 143
No top replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:28 am
@realjohnboy,
Stepping up 1st is Rhyss. He is a young lad from Boston who actually (gasp) follows sports.
I heard from McGentrix from Chicago, I believe. He finished 2nd last year.
RealJohnboy from Charlottesville, Virginia (the center of the intellectual universe), is also in. He (I) finished 3rd in the 2009-2010 season.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:37 am
@realjohnboy,
I'm in....

(gee, time flies in the a2k fantasy sports world!)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 03:54 pm
Two more players have indicated they want to play, bringing us up to 5.
Osso, from New Mexico, is a bit of a sports junkie. She claims to be naive but that ain't true. She seems to be on a first name basis with various quarterbacks.
George joins from Boston. He is Rhys' dad. I have met George. Nice guy, I guess.
9 spots left.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 04:07 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm still very stupid on tactics, formations, yadda yadda. In baseball, I don't get half the acronyms, and even various websites don't list them all, their use, much less their implications.

I'm learning a little more every year, until I start to go backwards.

If we ever get enough folks, we could have two leagues per sport. Two tens? Two twelves?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 04:13 pm
@ossobuco,
So, does philosophy work with football?
McGentrix

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 04:16 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Stepping up 1st is Rhyss. He is a young lad from Boston who actually (gasp) follows sports.
I heard from McGentrix from Chicago, I believe. He finished 2nd last year.
RealJohnboy from Charlottesville, Virginia (the center of the intellectual universe), is also in. He (I) finished 3rd in the 2009-2010 season.

Central NY actually.
jespah

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 04:18 pm
@McGentrix,
I'm in, but there's a possibility I will be tres busy. Perhaps an absentee owner for this year's version of The Tough Puppies.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 05:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Probably depends on who you ask...

My first trip outside the philforum! No better way to dip the toe in I suppose. I'm game for some FFL.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 05:50 pm
@thack45,
Yay, thack!

now start thinking of your team name..
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:06 pm
Excellent. Jespah, as she has done for years, claims that she can't devote a lot of attention to this. Then she quietly cleans a lot of clocks. She also is in Boston.
Hi, Thack. The melding of the philforum into A2K has not been seamless, I guess. But we, the unwashed masses on A2K, welcome you. We may not be as bright as you and your brethren but...
WE CAN KICK YOUR BUTTS IN FOOTBALL.
Any other refugees from the philforum think that they can play this game?
jespah

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 04:46 am
@realjohnboy,
Er, thanks. Smile Embarrassed

It's the kibble we feed them, mixed with mango salsa.

Welcome, thack -- if I tack on extra syllables, I do hope you don't mind. I feel a thackeroonie coming on.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:48 am
@realjohnboy,
Sign me up.
I might actually win this game once before I die.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 12:59 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

I might actually win this game once before I die.

Maybe this will be the year!
10 - I say 10 players - in so far. Tico (who finished 1st last year), McGentrix (2nd), Johnboy (3rd), Osso (6th), Jespah (8th), Mysteryman (9th), George (13th), Alex (14th) and the newbies Rhys and Thack.
We have room for 4 more max. 14 is the magic number because we each play the other players exactly once in the season. We can live with a smaller group but there must be an even number.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:18 pm
@realjohnboy,
Rhys, chomping at the bit, has set this thing up on Yahoo. In order to register you will need the league ID# and password. You get to choose a scary name for your team.
I have sent emails to players involved in fantasy baseball and I'll get to the other folks expressing interest in playing later on.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:30 pm
Ok, I'm signed up as the Sandhandlers.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Excellent, Osso. Rhys should now be able to set up a draft date.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 05:51 am
@realjohnboy,
I don't have an email!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:24 am
In! I'll PM the email to invite.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:48 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Nice people, with only one exception: an arrogant SOB who claims to have won this game a few times.

jpinMilwaukee?
0 Replies