Was it a war crime when US nuked Hiroshima & Nagasaki?

oralloy

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 02:09 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
You want to dismiss the fact that that flight was delayed, that weather conditions were no longer conducive to visual targeting, and that contrary to plans, they circled the area for forty-five minutes--thirty minutes longer than planned.

I don't see how any of that has any bearing on the question of whether the Japanese could attack a non-lethal demonstration if they knew about it.

Glennn wrote:
Unless all of these contingencies were part of the scientists' calculations, then your argument doesn't hold up.

I don't see how any of those things change the fact that Japan was able to chase our plane away from its primary target.

Glennn wrote:
You are the one who has determined that without a warning, only a few farmers would have been aware of the event . . . despite a nine-mile high mushroom cloud.

That would not change if Japan were only given a few minutes advance warning. There would still only be a handful of farmers to witness the event.

Giving them a few minutes warning is functionally the same as giving them no warning of the demonstration at all.

Glennn wrote:
That's a strange response coming from someone whose argument against a nonlethal demonstration is based on the opinion of those scientists.

I was only pointing out flaws in your first proposal, especially since discussion of my main point (that the A-bombs were dropped because somebody had to do something to end Japan's reign of terror) seems to have trailed off.

Your second proposal was much stronger, but I really don't see how it matters whether a non-lethal demonstration was possible or not.

Glennn wrote:
Compton: "We thought of the fighting men who were set for an invasion which would be so very costly in both American and Japanese lives."

That flies in the face of your statement.

How did their concern over the death toll if we had launched a bloody invasion impact their calculations over whether a demonstration was possible to carry out?

Glennn wrote:
It kind of does.

No. It does not alter the fact that the reason Japan surrendered was their fear of US invasion.

Glennn wrote:
They surrendered after the Soviets declared war and invaded Manchuria.

Yes. And after the Nagasaki bombing as well.

But the reason they surrendered was their fear of US invasion.

Glennn wrote:
Not according to postwar interviews with Japanese officials.

I doubt that any interviews contradict the fact that the A-bombs were a dramatic escalation in the attacks against Japan.

However, the plain fact that it was a dramatic escalation will not change even if an official did deny it.

Glennn wrote:
And as I have already pointed out, sixty-eight major cities were destroyed prior to the atomic bombs being dropped, and yet surrender came only after the Soviets decared war and invaded.

This does not change the fact that the A-bombs were a dramatic escalation in the attacks against Japan.

Glennn wrote:
You must have believed that it mattered. Otherwise you wouldn't have used it help make the point that a nonlethal demonstration would be impossible.

I never tried to argue that a demonstration was impossible. I was merely pointing out the flaws in your first proposal.

Your second proposal was much stronger, although it doesn't make much sense why you are giving the Japanese a few minutes warning when the plan is for their scientists to only examine the scene after the fact.

Glennn wrote:
Direct me to that post.

http://able2know.org/topic/1591-63#post-6592154

"It is odd that the U.S. military would seek the counsel of scientists on this matter who had already said:"

Glennn wrote:
Also provide those scientists' statements both before and after they were consulted.

Here is what they said after they were consulted:
http://www.dannen.com/decision/scipanel.html

I am not aware of them making statements on the matter before being consulted.
Glennn

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 06:30 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I don't see how any of that has any bearing on the question of whether the Japanese could attack a non-lethal demonstration if they knew about it.

Your dismissal of the the fact that the Bockscar's mission was fraught with problems and time delays that were detrimental to its success does not prove that a nonlethal demonstration was impossible. You're just refusing to acknowledge it.
Quote:
I don't see how any of those things change the fact that Japan was able to chase our plane away from its primary target.

Actually, that it took forty-five minutes before Japanese planes were able to respond proves that a ten minute warning of a nonlethal demonstration would suffice.
Quote:
That would not change if Japan were only given a few minutes advance warning. There would still only be a handful of farmers to witness the event.

Yeah, until a team arrived to witness the aftermath and the nine-mile high mushroom cloud, as they did at Hiroshima. But I've already told you that twice now.
Quote:
(that the A-bombs were dropped because somebody had to do something to end Japan's reign of terror) seems to have trailed off.

There is little doubt that having their whole country set ablaze severely diminished Japan's capacity to subject others to its "reign of terror."
Quote:
Your second proposal was much stronger, but I really don't see how it matters whether a non-lethal demonstration was possible or not.

It is the difference between burning people alive along with subjecting the rest to radiation poisoning, and not doing that.
Quote:
How did their concern over the death toll if we had launched a bloody invasion impact their calculations over whether a demonstration was possible to carry out?

You brought them into the discussion, claiming that their recommendation somehow proved that a nonlethal demonstration was impossible. I pointed out that they were under the mistaken impression that a ground invasion was inevitable unless the bombs were used. Then you said that he possibility of invasion certainly played no part in that recommendation.

So I showed you this:

Compton: "We thought of the fighting men who were set for an invasion which would be so very costly in both American and Japanese lives."
Quote:
But the reason they surrendered was their fear of US invasion.

You keep repeating this despite the fact that it was after the Soviets declared war and invaded that they surrendered.
Quote:
I doubt that any interviews contradict the fact that the A-bombs were a dramatic escalation in the attacks against Japan.

Quote:
This does not change the fact that the A-bombs were a dramatic escalation in the attacks against Japan.

The destruction of Hiroshima had done nothing to reduce the preparedness of the troops dug in on the beaches of Japan’s home islands. There was now one fewer city behind them, but they were still dug in, they still had ammunition, and their military strength had not been diminished in any important way. Bombing Hiroshima did not foreclose either of Japan’s strategic options.

The Soviet declaration of war also changed the calculation of how much time was left for maneuver. Japanese intelligence was predicting that U.S. forces might not invade for months. Soviet forces, on the other hand, could be in Japan proper in as little as 10 days. The Soviet invasion made a decision on ending the war extremely time sensitive.

And Japan’s leaders had reached this conclusion some months earlier. In a meeting of the Supreme Council in June 1945, they said that Soviet entry into the war “would determine the fate of the Empire.” Army Deputy Chief of Staff Kawabe said, in that same meeting, “The absolute maintenance of peace in our relations with the Soviet Union is imperative for the continuation of the war.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/05/30/the-bomb-didnt-beat-japan-stalin-did/
Quote:
it doesn't make much sense why you are giving the Japanese a few minutes warning when the plan is for their scientists to only examine the scene after the fact.

That was my response to your insistence that only a few farmers would be witness. So I offered the condition of a few minutes warning so that they would send their team to validate the bombing.
Quote:
"It is odd that the U.S. military would seek the counsel of scientists on this matter who had already said:"

I don't see your point here. You said that the military took the recommendation of the scientists who said that a nonlethal demonstration was impossible. I said that that is odd since those scientists had declared that "We have, however, no claim to special competence in solving the political, social, and military problems which are presented by the advent of atomic power."
Quote:
I am not aware of them making statements on the matter before being consulted.

If that is so, then what they said when they were consulted is what stands.
oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2018 01:49 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Your dismissal of the the fact that the Bockscar's mission was fraught with problems and time delays that were detrimental to its success does not prove that a nonlethal demonstration was impossible. You're just refusing to acknowledge it.

I'm not even arguing that a non-lethal demonstration was impossible, so it doesn't really matter.

Glennn wrote:
Actually, that it took forty-five minutes before Japanese planes were able to respond proves that a ten minute warning of a nonlethal demonstration would suffice.

The Japanese planes actually responded relatively quickly once our bomber arrived in the area of their primary target.

Also, when the scientists were worried about Japan attacking a non-lethal demonstration if given advance warning, they were not considering your proposal for a ten minute warning (unless you took a time machine back to WWII and had a conversation with them). They were considering a proposal where Japan would have been notified of a demonstration well in advance.

Glennn wrote:
Yeah, until a team arrived to witness the aftermath and the nine-mile high mushroom cloud, as they did at Hiroshima. But I've already told you that twice now.

The scientists would be able to arrive after the fact just as easily if Japan were given no advance warning at all.

Glennn wrote:
There is little doubt that having their whole country set ablaze severely diminished Japan's capacity to subject others to its "reign of terror."

Things still remained dire for the people who were already under Japanese occupation. And the invasion of Japan would still have been nightmarishly bloody for both sides.

Glennn wrote:
It is the difference between burning people alive along with subjecting the rest to radiation poisoning, and not doing that.

Yes, but how does that matter at this point?

I'm pretty sure that if we were to conclusively establish that a demonstration was indeed possible, you aren't going to be able to go back in time and save any lives.

Glennn wrote:
You brought them into the discussion, claiming that their recommendation somehow proved that a nonlethal demonstration was impossible.

My claim is that they advised that a nonlethal demonstration was impossible.

I have not made any claims that a nonlethal demonstration was actually impossible. I can't see how that even matters at this point.

Glennn wrote:
I pointed out that they were under the mistaken impression that a ground invasion was inevitable unless the bombs were used. Then you said that he possibility of invasion certainly played no part in that recommendation.

So I showed you this:

And how does this concern over the death toll from a possible invasion have any bearing on the question of whether a demonstration is possible?

Glennn wrote:
You keep repeating this despite the fact that it was after the Soviets declared war and invaded that they surrendered.

Japan also surrendered only after Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed.

The timing of their surrender does not change the reality that their reason for surrendering was their fear of US invasion.

Glennn wrote:
The destruction of Hiroshima had done nothing to reduce the preparedness of the troops dug in on the beaches of Japan’s home islands. There was now one fewer city behind them, but they were still dug in, they still had ammunition, and their military strength had not been diminished in any important way. Bombing Hiroshima did not foreclose either of Japan’s strategic options.

I've already said as much. Japan retained the capability to make our invasion of Japan a horribly bloody affair. If they'd kept refusing to surrender (as they were still doing when the A-bombs were dropped on them), the invasion would have been truly horrible. It would have been one massive "Okinawa battle" down the entire length of Honshu.

However, this quote appears to originate from Gar Alperovitz. He is a notorious fraud who makes it sound like people say the opposite of what they really said. So even though the statement accurately describes Japan's ability to resist our invasion, I advise against trusting the accuracy of the quote.

Glennn wrote:
The Soviet declaration of war also changed the calculation of how much time was left for maneuver. Japanese intelligence was predicting that U.S. forces might not invade for months. Soviet forces, on the other hand, could be in Japan proper in as little as 10 days. The Soviet invasion made a decision on ending the war extremely time sensitive.

Gar Alperovitz is deliberately omitting the fact that by the time the Soviets declared war, Japan had long ago decided to get out of the war in any way possible due to their fear of American invasion.

Glennn wrote:
And Japan’s leaders had reached this conclusion some months earlier. In a meeting of the Supreme Council in June 1945, they said that Soviet entry into the war “would determine the fate of the Empire.” Army Deputy Chief of Staff Kawabe said, in that same meeting, “The absolute maintenance of peace in our relations with the Soviet Union is imperative for the continuation of the war.

Yet as soon as America overran Japanese defenses in Iwo Jima and Okinawa (defenses which Japan had believed would absolutely repel our invasion), Japan started trying to escape the war in any way possible despite the fact that they still believed the Soviets were staying neutral.

Glennn wrote:
That was my response to your insistence that only a few farmers would be witness. So I offered the condition of a few minutes warning so that they would send their team to validate the bombing.

Your few minutes warning does nothing to help this team. It is not enough time for them to be able to witness the bombing live, and they were already able to examine the bombing after the fact even if there hadn't been a warning.

Glennn wrote:
I don't see your point here.

I was pointing out that unless you have evidence of time machines, statements made only after a request for advice, were unknown before that request for advice.

Glennn wrote:
You said that the military took the recommendation of the scientists who said that a nonlethal demonstration was impossible. I said that that is odd since those scientists had declared that "We have, however, no claim to special competence in solving the political, social, and military problems which are presented by the advent of atomic power."

It isn't odd that no one would have knowledge of a statement that hadn't been made yet.

Glennn wrote:
If that is so, then what they said when they were consulted is what stands.

Yes. But people only knew of their statement after they made the statement.
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2018 02:38 pm
The Soviets had negligible naval assets in the far east. They would have been unable to launch an invasion except on concert with the western allies. They did invade Sakhalin Island, but that was just days before the Japanese surrender, and after the two cities had been nuked. Nobody had any illusions at the time about the nature and extent of the Soviet threat.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2018 09:05 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I'm not even arguing that a non-lethal demonstration was impossible, so it doesn't really matter.

I said that a nonlethal demonstration was not impossible. You pointed out that it was, and you used the recommendation of certain scientists to prove your point. You even provided two links to support your claim. It seems to me that you were arguing that a nonlethal demonstration was impossible.
Quote:
They were considering a proposal where Japan would have been notified of a demonstration well in advance.

Well yes, that would be rather foolish.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

The American bomber was a B-29 named Bock's Car, and it was supposed to drop the world's first plutonium bomb on Kokura. Three times, Bock's Car passed over Kokura, bomb bays open, a hum in the cockpit signaling that the bomb was ready for release, the crew wearing the special goggles that were supposed to protect them from the flash of the atomic explosion.

But although the radar scope was locked on to Kokura, the orders were to drop the bomb only on visual identification of the huge arms factory that was the target.

A young man named Kermit Beahan peered through the rubber eyepiece of the bombsight, and he could see some of the buildings of Kokura and the river that ran by the arms factory, but the complex itself was blocked by a cloud.

So Bock's Car gave up on Kokura and went on to its secondary target, Nagasaki. Clouds also partly obscured Nagasaki, but not quite enough of it

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/08/07/world/kokura-japan-bypassed-by-a-bomb.html
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

What better way to announce you're up to no good than to make three unsuccessful bombing runs over the same area due to bad weather?
Quote:
They were considering a proposal where Japan would have been notified of a demonstration well in advance.

Yeah, that's what happens when you have scientists giving strategic military advice. Apparently they were wrong, as Bock's Car was able to make three unsuccessful bombing runs over the same area without interference.
Quote:
The scientists would be able to arrive after the fact just as easily if Japan were given no advance warning at all.

Good idea!
Quote:
Things still remained dire for the people who were already under Japanese occupation. And the invasion of Japan would still have been nightmarishly bloody for both sides.

Sure, if you discount the naval sea blockade that military leaders have said would bring them to surrender by November. They were already looking to the Soviets to negotiate a peace settlement, until the Soviets declared war and invaded, after which they surrendered.
Quote:
Yes, but how does that matter at this point?

I'm pretty sure that if we were to conclusively establish that a demonstration was indeed possible, you aren't going to be able to go back in time and save any lives.

It was illogical to believe that after setting sixty-six major cities on fire with napalm and other things, that another one would bring about surrender. History shows that surrender came about as the result of the Soviets invasion.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The Soviet entry into the war played a much greater role than the atomic bombs in inducing Japan to surrender because it dashed any hope that Japan could terminate the war through Moscow's mediation," said Tsuyoshi Hasegawa, whose recently published "Racing the Enemy" examines the conclusion of the Pacific war and is based on recently declassified Soviet archives as well as U.S. and Japanese documents.

"The emperor and the peace party (within the government) hastened to end the war expecting that the Americans would deal with Japan more generously than the Soviets," Hasegawa, a Russian-speaking American scholar, said in an interview.

Despite the death toll from the atomic bombings — 140,000 in Hiroshima, 80,000 in Nagasaki the Imperial Military Command believed it could hold out against an Allied invasion if it retained control of Manchuria and Korea, which provided Japan with the resources for war, according to Hasegawa and Terry Charman, a historian of World War II at London's Imperial War Museum.

"The Soviet attack changed all that," Charman said. "The leadership in Tokyo realized they had no hope now, and in that sense August Storm did have a greater effect on the Japanese decision to surrender than the dropping of the A-bombs
."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/700056917/Historians-rethink-key-Soviet-role-in-Japan-defeat.html
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Quote:
I have not made any claims that a nonlethal demonstration was actually impossible. I can't see how that even matters at this point.

Well yeah, you can't undo the incineration of all those people and the radiation poisoning of a whole bunch of others. But it doesn't hurt to talk about the fact that it wasn't really necessary.
Quote:
And how does this concern over the death toll from a possible invasion have any bearing on the question of whether a demonstration is possible?

An invasion wasn't necessary according to military leaders of that time. They've given reasons why that is true, and I have put their statements in front of your eyes. And yet these scientists used the consequences of an (unnecessary) invasion as a reason to drop atomic bombs on cities full of human beings.
Quote:
Japan also surrendered only after Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed.

The timing of their surrender does not change the reality that their reason for surrendering was their fear of US invasion.

They surrendered only when they learned that the Soviets were not going to be a peace broker, and that the Soviets had declared war and invaded.
Quote:
I've already said as much. Japan retained the capability to make our invasion of Japan a horribly bloody affair. If they'd kept refusing to surrender (as they were still doing when the A-bombs were dropped on them), the invasion would have been truly horrible. It would have been one massive "Okinawa battle" down the entire length of Honshu.

Well it's a good thing the Soviets declared war on Japan and invaded cuz that sure produced good results.
Quote:
Gar Alperovitz is deliberately omitting the fact that by the time the Soviets declared war, Japan had long ago decided to get out of the war in any way possible due to their fear of American invasion.

And yet it was when the Soviets removed the hope of negotiated peace, and instead declared war and invaded, that surrender was brought about.
Quote:
Your few minutes warning does nothing to help this team. It is not enough time for them to be able to witness the bombing live, and they were already able to examine the bombing after the fact even if there hadn't been a warning.

You seem to be saying that after a demonstration in a large forested area, the aftermath would not be impressive. I disagree. The destructive power of the bomb would be no less impressive. Huge trees all laid out in all directions, and animals incinerated like . . . humans.

Did you ever stop to think about how the distance a person was from ground zero would determine the degree of burn they would experience? It's something to think about.
Quote:
It isn't odd that no one would have knowledge of a statement that hadn't been made yet.

Actually, what is odd--and a little annoying--is that you mention that the U.S. military accepted the recommendation from those scientists that a nonlethal demonstration would be impossible. But when I mention anything from the links you provided about what they said, you start talking about how such statements were not made yet. I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you what recommendations from those scientists are the ones that the military accepted from them, and when were those recommendations offered.
Quote:
Yes. But people only knew of their statement after they made the statement.

Uh huh . . .
oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 01:12 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
I said that a nonlethal demonstration was not impossible. You pointed out that it was,

No I didn't. Not unless I misspoke (which is possible but unlikely).

Glennn wrote:
and you used the recommendation of certain scientists to prove your point.

The point I proved was that the scientists had made that recommendation. I never offered any commentary on whether their recommendation was good or bad.

Glennn wrote:
You even provided two links to support your claim.

Yes. Linking to their recommendation is a good way of proving that they made that recommendation.

Glennn wrote:
It seems to me that you were arguing that a nonlethal demonstration was impossible.

No. I only argued that top scientists had advised the government that it was impossible.

Glennn wrote:
Sure, if you discount the naval sea blockade that military leaders have said would bring them to surrender by November.

No military leaders were giving such advice at the time the A-bombs were being dropped.

Well, except for Ike's conversation with Stimson. But no one else even knew about that.

Glennn wrote:
They were already looking to the Soviets to negotiate a peace settlement, until the Soviets declared war and invaded, after which they surrendered.

Negotiating a peace settlement was not an acceptable way for Japan to end the war. They were required to surrender if they wanted to avoid the A-bombs.

Glennn wrote:
It was illogical to believe that after setting sixty-six major cities on fire with napalm and other things, that another one would bring about surrender.

That is incorrect. It is perfectly logical to hope that a dramatic increase in your attacks will result in your enemy surrendering.

Glennn wrote:
"The Soviet entry into the war played a much greater role than the atomic bombs in inducing Japan to surrender because it dashed any hope that Japan could terminate the war through Moscow's mediation," said Tsuyoshi Hasegawa, whose recently published "Racing the Enemy" examines the conclusion of the Pacific war and is based on recently declassified Soviet archives as well as U.S. and Japanese documents.

Yes. Exactly.

That is a very good book, by the way. I highly recommend it.

Like most A-bomb historians, he falls into the trap of trying to assign a motive to the use of the A-bomb. But it's still an excellent book.

Glennn wrote:
"The emperor and the peace party (within the government) hastened to end the war expecting that the Americans would deal with Japan more generously than the Soviets," Hasegawa, a Russian-speaking American scholar, said in an interview.

Despite the death toll from the atomic bombings — 140,000 in Hiroshima, 80,000 in Nagasaki the Imperial Military Command believed it could hold out against an Allied invasion if it retained control of Manchuria and Korea, which provided Japan with the resources for war, according to Hasegawa and Terry Charman, a historian of World War II at London's Imperial War Museum.

"The Soviet attack changed all that," Charman said. "The leadership in Tokyo realized they had no hope now, and in that sense August Storm did have a greater effect on the Japanese decision to surrender than the dropping of the A-bombs
."

Actually it was the previous statement that was correct. Japan surrendered because they realized that the Soviets were not going to help them with their mediation gambit.

Glennn wrote:
Well yeah, you can't undo the incineration of all those people and the radiation poisoning of a whole bunch of others. But it doesn't hurt to talk about the fact that it wasn't really necessary.

Well, I guess it doesn't do any harm. But I still don't see the point.

Glennn wrote:
An invasion wasn't necessary according to military leaders of that time.

Setting aside the fact that they weren't expressing this opinion to anyone, what does that have to do with the question of whether a non-lethal demonstration is possible?

Glennn wrote:
They've given reasons why that is true, and I have put their statements in front of your eyes.

What do these post-war statements possibly have to do with the technical question of whether a non-lethal demonstration is possible?

Glennn wrote:
And yet these scientists used the consequences of an (unnecessary) invasion as a reason to drop atomic bombs on cities full of human beings.

It is very unlikely that the consequences of an invasion had any impact at all on the technical question of whether a demonstration was possible.

Glennn wrote:
They surrendered only when they learned that the Soviets were not going to be a peace broker, and that the Soviets had declared war and invaded.

Yes. My point exactly.

Glennn wrote:
Well it's a good thing the Soviets declared war on Japan and invaded cuz that sure produced good results.

Yes.

Glennn wrote:
And yet it was when the Soviets removed the hope of negotiated peace, and instead declared war and invaded, that surrender was brought about.

Exactly what I've been saying.

Glennn wrote:
You seem to be saying that after a demonstration in a large forested area, the aftermath would not be impressive.

No. I didn't say anything like that. What I did was point out that your proposed 10 minute warning notice serves no practical purpose.

Glennn wrote:
Did you ever stop to think about how the distance a person was from ground zero would determine the degree of burn they would experience? It's something to think about.

I'm aware of what nuclear weapons do.

Glennn wrote:
Actually, what is odd--and a little annoying--is that you mention that the U.S. military accepted the recommendation from those scientists that a nonlethal demonstration would be impossible. But when I mention anything from the links you provided about what they said, you start talking about how such statements were not made yet.

Well, when you refer to a period before they made their recommendations, it is pretty straightforward that the recommendations hadn't been made yet.

Glennn wrote:
I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you what recommendations from those scientists are the ones that the military accepted from them, and when were those recommendations offered.

http://www.dannen.com/decision/scipanel.html

June 16, 1945.

Glennn wrote:
Uh huh . . .

People certainly aren't going to know about statements that haven't been made yet. Not without time travel.
Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 02:35 am
The Soviet Union had not invaded Japanese territory until after the two bombs were dropped. Even then, the Soviets invaded Sakhalin Island, which was not one of the Japanese "home islands." As is so often the case with 20-20 hindsight, the Soviet influence on the decision to surrender is highly overrated.
Glennn

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 08:42 am
@Setanta,
What date did the Soviets invade Manchuria? How many soldiers were involved? What was the outcome?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 09:36 am
Manchuria was not Japanese territory, no more than was Korea, China, Malaya or Burma. The Japanese and the Soviets were at war for almost four years after they invaded China. They concluded a non-aggression pact with the Soviet Union in the summer of 1941, only after Marshal Zhukov handed them their military ass in Mongolia. To attempt to suggest that the Japanese military junta, in power from 1923 onward, had a rational view of the world and the ability to intelligently assess military realities is more than a little absurd.
camlok

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 09:54 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Manchuria was not Japanese territory, no more than was Korea, China, Malaya or Burma.

The Philippines was not US territory, no more than was Cuba, Iraq, Nicargua, Indonesia, Mexican land stolen, Iran, Ecuador, Panama, China, Korea, ... .

None of those countries you mention were UK territory, or Dutch territory or French territory.

You seem to have a white man bias and a yellow, dark skinned racist attitude.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 10:02 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
To attempt to suggest that the Japanese military junta, in power from 1923 onward, had a rational view of the world

They had an excellent and very accurate view of the world. Their rational, why should the US, UK, other Euro nation colonialists/imperialists/rapers and pillagers be able to do that in SE Asia and Japan, a new world power couldn't?

American rapers and pillagers, who had been doing the same thing to Central and South America for many many years, are such incredible hypocrites, aren't they, Setanta?

0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 10:50 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
No I didn't. Not unless I misspoke (which is possible but unlikely).

Your reference to the interim committee's recommendation against a nonlethal demonstration was in response to my claim that a nonlethal demonstration was possible.
Quote:
I never offered any commentary on whether their recommendation was good or bad.

You referred to their recommendation against a nonlethal demonstration in response to my claim that a nonlethal demonstration was possible. But now you are denying that your reference to their recommendation had anything to do with your agreement with them.
Quote:

Yes. Linking to their recommendation is a good way of proving that they made that recommendation.

But what good is proving that they made a recommendation if you are unwilling to say whether it was good or bad?
Quote:
No. I only argued that top scientists had advised the government that it was impossible.

If you are unwilling to agree with them, then what was your point in bringing them into the discussion?
Quote:
No military leaders were giving such advice at the time the A-bombs were being dropped.

Decisions concerning the dropping of the atom bomb came from above these military leaders. As such, they were obligated to follow orders without question. But you already know that.
Quote:
That is incorrect. It is perfectly logical to hope that a dramatic increase in your attacks will result in your enemy surrendering.

Tokyo had already been firebombed to destruction, and there was no surrender. It is illogical to think that another city would make any difference.
Quote:
Glennn wrote:
"The Soviet entry into the war played a much greater role than the atomic bombs in inducing Japan to surrender because it dashed any hope that Japan could terminate the war through Moscow's mediation . . ."

oralloy wrote:Yes. Exactly.

And 1.6 million Soviets invading Manchuria really sealed the deal.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:
Actually it was the previous statement that was correct. Japan surrendered because they realized that the Soviets were not going to help them with their mediation gambit.

Actually, it was the following statements that were also correct.

."
Quote:
What do these post-war statements possibly have to do with the technical question of whether a non-lethal demonstration is possible?

They show that both a lethal and nonlethal demonstration were not necessary. You're simply treating this issue as if it were a game in which any opinions not expressed during the bombings can be regarded as nonexistent, even though you understand that the decision to drop the bomb was made at a level above the military leaders who stated that they weren't necessary, and that those military leaders were obligated to follow orders without question.
Quote:
It is very unlikely that the consequences of an invasion had any impact at all on the technical question of whether a demonstration was possible.

From your link:

"At the same time, we recognize our obligation to our nation to use the weapons to help save American lives in the Japanese war[/b]."

And here, ten days later, their thoughts are clarified when they said the following:

"We thought of the fighting men who were set for an invasion which would be so very costly in both American and Japanese lives. We were determined to find, if we could, some effective way of demonstrating the power of an atomic bomb without loss of life that would impress Japan's warlords. If only this could be done!"

Of course, it was obvious that the sea blockade was going to starve them out. And the destruction of every major city was a reality. But the Soviet invasion brought about surrender. So those scientists were basing their recommendation on an absence of facts.

Glennn wrote:

oralloy replied:

Glennn wrote:

Yes. My point exactly.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I agree!
Quote:
No. I didn't say anything like that. What I did was point out that your proposed 10 minute warning notice serves no practical purpose.

Alright, then no ten-minute warning.
Glennn

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 10:54 am
@Setanta,
What date did the Soviets invade Manchuria? How many soldiers were involved? What was the outcome?
oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 01:14 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
But what good is proving that they made a recommendation if you are unwilling to say whether it was good or bad?

My point is that the US government dropped the A-bombs because they were desperately trying to make Japan surrender.

The mere fact that the US government received an expert recommendation that a nonlethal demonstration was impossible fully explains why the US government didn't bother with a nonlethal demonstration.

Whether the recommendation was right or wrong, it was reasonable for the government to act on the advice that they had been given.

Glennn wrote:
Decisions concerning the dropping of the atom bomb came from above these military leaders. As such, they were obligated to follow orders without question. But you already know that.

That confirms that I was correct when I stated that none of them advised against using the A-bombs against a live target.

Glennn wrote:
Tokyo had already been firebombed to destruction, and there was no surrender. It is illogical to think that another city would make any difference.

Not when the attack against the city represented a huge escalation in the attacks against Japan.

Glennn wrote:
Actually, it was the following statements that were also correct.

."

It isn't correct. The Imperial Military Command believed that it could hold out against an allied invasion so long as they had some two million soldiers in Japan ready to fight to the death when we invaded. Japan's military leaders recognized that Japan was in an untenable position and needed to escape the war, but they remained resolute in ending the war without surrendering even after the Soviets completely overran Manchuria.

It was only when the Emperor directly ordered them to surrender that they were willing to surrender.

Glennn wrote:
They show that both a lethal and nonlethal demonstration were not necessary.

The scientists were not deciding whether anything was necessary. They were only deciding whether a demonstration was possible.

Glennn wrote:
You're simply treating this issue as if it were a game in which any opinions not expressed during the bombings can be regarded as nonexistent,

If the opinions were not expressed to the government, the government certainly didn't know about them.

Glennn wrote:
even though you understand that the decision to drop the bomb was made at a level above the military leaders who stated that they weren't necessary, and that those military leaders were obligated to follow orders without question.

That confirms that those opinions were not expressed to the government.

Glennn wrote:
From your link:

"At the same time, we recognize our obligation to our nation to use the weapons to help save American lives in the Japanese war[/b]."

And here, ten days later, their thoughts are clarified when they said the following:

"We thought of the fighting men who were set for an invasion which would be so very costly in both American and Japanese lives. We were determined to find, if we could, some effective way of demonstrating the power of an atomic bomb without loss of life that would impress Japan's warlords. If only this could be done!"

How did that have any impact on the technical question of whether a demonstration was possible?

Glennn wrote:
Of course, it was obvious that the sea blockade was going to starve them out.

Not so obvious during the war. There were hopes that the blockade would bring about surrender, just as there were hopes that the A-bombs would bring about surrender, and hopes that the Soviet entry into the war would bring about surrender.

But no one knew what would bring about surrender.

I'm not sure that starving millions of civilians to death is morally superior to killing 200,000 with A-bombs.

It didn't really matter to anyone which method ultimately worked. We were attacking Japan on all fronts. We were blockading them AND using the A-bombs on them AND encouraging the Soviets to go to war against them AND preparing to invade them. No one cared which method or combinations of methods would ultimately work, so long as something did ultimately work.

Glennn wrote:
And the destruction of every major city was a reality. But the Soviet invasion brought about surrender. So those scientists were basing their recommendation on an absence of facts.

None of those facts seem to have any bearing on the technical question of whether a nonlethal demonstration was possible.
Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 02:55 pm
@Glennn,
Manchuria was not Japan, and the Soviets faced no more formidable a barrier than an imaginary line on a map. Crossing the Sea of Japan to invade the home islands was a very different kettle of fish. The Soviets barely had the resources to invade Sakhalin Island, which, of course, was just a land grab. It is utter bullsh*t that Japan surrendered because of a fear of invasion by the Soviets. Had Japan been invaded, the Soviet contribution would have been a drop in a bucket in comparison to the resources of the western allies.

That claim, like the claim about the naval blockade, is a self-serving claim made after the event.

You are just trolling this thread. You're arguing because you can, and not because you actually have a rational point to make. You're just another, typical internet warrior who will go on forever.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 03:29 pm
That's not relevant--Manchuria is not Japan, and bullsh*t claim is that the Japanese surrendered because they feared a Soviet invasion. I am under no obligation to answer your dumb-ass (to use your term) questions. Anyone who claims the Japanese surrendered because they feared a Soviet invasion has to support their claim--and you can't do that.

I will report that entirely gratuitous personal insult, Miss High and Mighty.
Glennn

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 03:32 pm
@Setanta,
So not only do you refuse to answer my question, as trolls are like to do, but you've also threatened to tell on me. How exciting!
Glennn

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 04:17 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The mere fact that the US government received an expert recommendation that a nonlethal demonstration was impossible fully explains why the US government didn't bother with a nonlethal demonstration.

Those scientists were not military strategists. Their expertise was in the area of nuclear physics. The U.S. just wanted to try out their new bomb. As I said before, those physicists believed that a U.S. ground invasion was inevitable if the bombs weren't used. And they also believed that it was a forgone conclusion that the bombs were going to be used.
Quote:
That confirms that I was correct when I stated that none of them advised against using the A-bombs against a live target.

It also confirms that they were doing what they were obligated to do--obey the orders of their superiors without question. But they sure did talk afterwards, didn't they?
Quote:
Not when the attack against the city represented a huge escalation in the attacks against Japan.

Yeah, but still no surrender until the Soviets began their assault on Manchuria and took out the Kwangtung force; that, and having all of their major cities laid to waste.
Quote:
It was only when the Emperor directly ordered them to surrender that they were willing to surrender.

Yes, he had no doubts that being sandwiched between two powers was a hopeless situation.
Quote:

The scientists were not deciding whether anything was necessary. They were only deciding whether a demonstration was possible

Of course a nonlethal demonstration was possible. Them saying it was not doesn't change the fact that it was.
Quote:
If the opinions were not expressed to the government, the government certainly didn't know about them.

Do you really believe that the government officials were asking for opinions? Are you aware of any meetings with the Joint Chiefs of Staff where this was discussed?

At any rate, we now see what happens when the opinion of experienced military leaders are trumped by the ideas of nonmilitary government officials.
Quote:
That confirms that those opinions were not expressed to the government.

No. It confirms that the government wasn't interested in knowing those opinions, and so they didn't ask.
Quote:
How did that have any impact on the technical question of whether a demonstration was possible?

Good question! The only thing that was standing in the way of a nonlethal demonstration was the will to do it. It was certainly not impossible.
Quote:
I'm not sure that starving millions of civilians to death is morally superior to killing 200,000 with A-bombs.

What makes you think that it would come to that. In your own words, "it was only when the Emperor directly ordered them to surrender that they were willing to surrender." And it didn't take the deaths of millions of civilians to prompt him to do so.
Quote:
None of those facts seem to have any bearing on the technical question of whether a nonlethal demonstration was possible.

A nonlethal demonstration was certainly possible. You're simply determined to allow the opinion of some nonmilitary scientists to support your claim that a nonlethal demonstration was impossible.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 04:48 pm
Glennn wrote:
leave me out of your tourettes syndrome-like outburst's

1. Tourette is a proper name.
2. You are being gratuitously insulting.
3. Study the correct use of apostrophes.

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2018 05:03 pm
@Glennn,
There is no reason to answer that silly question, because it has no bearing on whether or not the Japanese surrendered through fear of a Soviet invasion.
0 Replies