Was it a war crime when US nuked Hiroshima & Nagasaki?

Glennn

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 06:53 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Second there is the recorded historical fact that there were people in the Japanese government who suspected a ruse even after Hiroshima.
Quote:
I'm sure that the handful of farmers who witnessed your proposed explosion would be very impressed.
Quote:

No. My claim is that the Japanese government would suspect that we had fooled their witnesses with a ruse.
Quote:
Setting aside the impossibility of deploying this person at a moment's notice, such a person would also be lacking in the necessary expertise.
Quote:
And a witness without enough expertise to convince the Japanese government that they saw a real A-bomb.

The team that went to Hiroshima was led by Dr. Yoshio Nishina, who had been a leader on the Japanese fission research program. He and a general arrived at Hiroshima on the morning of August 8th and began examining both the characteristics of the damage (e.g., by examining knocked-down grass and trees, he could discern from what direction a uniform blast wave had traveled, for example) and the human remains (many of which showed signs of immediate high-temperature burns, and were measurably radioactive). From that he concluded very quickly that the weapon was an atomic bomb. On the evening of August 8th sent back to Tokyo the message:

What I've seen so far is unspeakable. Tens of thousands dead. Bodies piled up everywhere. Sick, wounded, naked people wandering around in a daze... Almost no buildings left standing. It's all true then? Hiroshima is completely wiped out? Completely. ... I'm very sorry to tell you this... the so-called new-type bomb is actually an atomic bomb.

Quote:
Note that this was a NUCLEAR SCIENTIST.

Yeah, I did note that. That's why I posted it. So now you have no excuse for believing that no qualified person was available to travel to a nonlethal demonstration site to make the same evaluation as they did at Hiroshima.
Quote:
You do realize that if I successfully address something the first time, I'll be able to successfully address it when you repeat it?

Yes, you've made the point that what everyone thought after the bombs were dropped has nothing to do with what they were thinking before the bombs were dropped. Everyone has heard that loud and clear.
Quote:
Also selectively quoted out of context to make it sound like he said the opposite of what he really said.

This is what he said: "it always appeared to us that, atomic bomb or no atomic bomb, the Japanese were already on the verge of collapse."

Since you believe that the statement was taken out of context, then why don't you provide the proper context?
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:13 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Yeah, I did note that. That's why I posted it. So now you have no excuse for believing that no qualified person was available to travel to a nonlethal demonstration site to make the same evaluation as they did at Hiroshima.

There is still the fact that they'd not be in a position to witness the demonstration due to your proposal involving Japan being given very short notice of the demonstration.

Glennn wrote:
Yes, you've made the point that what everyone thought after the bombs were dropped has nothing to do with what they were thinking before the bombs were dropped. Everyone has heard that loud and clear.

I've never said any such thing. I neither know nor care what they thought about using the A-bombs before they were used.

My only point is that they did not express any such opposition to the US government.

Glennn wrote:
This is what he said: "it always appeared to us that, atomic bomb or no atomic bomb, the Japanese were already on the verge of collapse."

That is a partial out of context quote that makes it sound like he said the opposite of what he really said.

Glennn wrote:
Since you believe that the statement was taken out of context, then why don't you provide the proper context?

He was explaining that Japan's surrender took them all by surprise, as they had expected that Japan would not surrender until they had pounded on them considerably harder.
Glennn

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:29 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I am pointing out that the A-bombs were dropped because we had to do something to end Japan's reign of terror.

Well let's see. The Japanese Naval threat was down to zero; their air power was virtually nonexistent; almost every major city was firebombed to destruction; the effects of a naval sea blockade created great scarcities, and yet you believe that Japan was just getting ready to make its move, and that's why atomic bombs needed to be dropped a couple cities full of people.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Strategic Bombing Survey provided a technical description of the firestorm and its effects on Tokyo:

The chief characteristic of the conflagration . . . was the presence of a fire front, an extended wall of fire moving to leeward, preceded by a mass of pre-heated, turbid, burning vapors . . . . The 28-mile-per-hour wind, measured a mile from the fire, increased to an estimated 55 miles at the perimeter, and probably more within. An extended fire swept over 15 square miles in 6 hours . . . . The area of the fire was nearly 100 percent burned; no structure or its contents escaped damage.

The survey concluded—plausibly, but only for events prior to August 6, 1945—that

probably more persons lost their lives by fire at Tokyo in a 6-hour period than at any time in the history of man. People died from extreme heat, from oxygen deficiency, from carbon monoxide asphyxiation, from being trampled beneath the feet of stampeding crowds, and from drowning. The largest number of victims were the most vulnerable: women, children and the elderly.”

No previous or subsequent conventional bombing raid ever came close to generating the toll in death and destruction of the great Tokyo raid of March 9-10. The airborne assault on Tokyo and other Japanese cities ground on relentlessly. According to Japanese police statistics, the 65 raids on Tokyo between December 6, 1944 and August 13, 1945 resulted in 137,582 casualties, 787,145 homes and buildings destroyed, and 2,625,279 people displaced.
Glennn

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:49 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
There is still the fact that they'd not be in a position to witness the demonstration due to your proposal involving Japan being given very short notice of the demonstration.

You are being deliberately obtuse. You were just shown that a nuclear expert and a General from Japan arrived in Hiroshima and, after anylizing the site, confirmed that the devastation was caused by an atomic bomb. There was no need for them to be there before the event. Are you still going to maintain your position that a nonlethal demonstration was impossible?
Quote:
I've never said any such thing. I neither know nor care what they thought about using the A-bombs before they were used.

My only point is that they did not express any such opposition to the US government.

Oh, well my point is that they certainly did after the event, which serves to clarify the fact that burning up a couple cities full of people served no military purpose and was therefore unnecessary.
Quote:
He was explaining that Japan's surrender took them all by surprise, as they had expected that Japan would not surrender until they had pounded on them considerably harder.

Really? It sounds to me like he was saying: "it always appeared to us that, atomic bomb or no atomic bomb, the Japanese were already on the verge of collapse." It probably sounded like that's what he was saying because that's what he said.
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 08:11 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Well let's see. The Japanese Naval threat was down to zero; their air power was virtually nonexistent; almost every major city was firebombed to destruction; the effects of a naval sea blockade created great scarcities,

Correct.

Glennn wrote:
and yet you believe that Japan was just getting ready to make its move, and that's why atomic bombs needed to be dropped a couple cities full of people.

No. I point out the historical reality that Japan was still refusing to surrender.

Glennn wrote:
The Strategic Bombing Survey provided a technical description of the firestorm and its effects on Tokyo:

The chief characteristic of the conflagration . . . was the presence of a fire front, an extended wall of fire moving to leeward, preceded by a mass of pre-heated, turbid, burning vapors . . . . The 28-mile-per-hour wind, measured a mile from the fire, increased to an estimated 55 miles at the perimeter, and probably more within. An extended fire swept over 15 square miles in 6 hours . . . . The area of the fire was nearly 100 percent burned; no structure or its contents escaped damage.

The survey concluded—plausibly, but only for events prior to August 6, 1945—that

probably more persons lost their lives by fire at Tokyo in a 6-hour period than at any time in the history of man. People died from extreme heat, from oxygen deficiency, from carbon monoxide asphyxiation, from being trampled beneath the feet of stampeding crowds, and from drowning. The largest number of victims were the most vulnerable: women, children and the elderly.”

No previous or subsequent conventional bombing raid ever came close to generating the toll in death and destruction of the great Tokyo raid of March 9-10. The airborne assault on Tokyo and other Japanese cities ground on relentlessly. According to Japanese police statistics, the 65 raids on Tokyo between December 6, 1944 and August 13, 1945 resulted in 137,582 casualties, 787,145 homes and buildings destroyed, and 2,625,279 people displaced.

The Tokyo raid was quite effective.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 08:12 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
You are being deliberately obtuse. You were just shown that a nuclear expert and a General from Japan arrived in Hiroshima and, after anylizing the site, confirmed that the devastation was caused by an atomic bomb. There was no need for them to be there before the event. Are you still going to maintain your position that a nonlethal demonstration was impossible?

Your new proposal doesn't have the flaws that your previous proposal did.

As I recall, the reason why this option was rejected was the fear that Japan simply would deny reality if they were not confronted with the loss of an entire city.

Glennn wrote:
Oh, well my point is that they certainly did after the event, which serves to clarify the fact that burning up a couple cities full of people served no military purpose and was therefore unnecessary.

Your point about postwar comments does not in any way contradict the fact that the reason why the US dropped the A-bombs was because we had to do something to end Japan's reign of terror.

Glennn wrote:
Really? It sounds to me like he was saying: "it always appeared to us that, atomic bomb or no atomic bomb, the Japanese were already on the verge of collapse."

That's the nature of statements that are partially quoted out of context to sound like the opposite of what someone said. They always end up sounding like the opposite of what the person really said.

Glennn wrote:
It probably sounded like that's what he was saying because that's what he said.

No. It sounds that way because his statement was partially quoted out of context to sound like the opposite of what he really said.
Glennn

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 08:43 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Your new proposal doesn't have the flaws that your previous proposal did.

You kept denying the validity of any proposal. So I showed you one that you can't deny because it's based on what really happened.
Quote:
As I recall, the reason why this option was rejected was the fear that Japan simply would deny reality if they were not confronted with the loss of an entire city.

You should think before accepting and repeating such a ridiculous explanation. I just showed you that they were already confronted with the loss of the entirety of many cities and hundreds of thousands of civilians and homes, and the reality of two and a half million refugees.
Quote:
Your point about postwar comments does not in any way contradict the fact that the reason why the US dropped the A-bombs was because we had to do something to end Japan's reign of terror.

You must have missed this:

The chief characteristic of the conflagration . . . was the presence of a fire front, an extended wall of fire moving to leeward, preceded by a mass of pre-heated, turbid, burning vapors . . . . The 28-mile-per-hour wind, measured a mile from the fire, increased to an estimated 55 miles at the perimeter, and probably more within. An extended fire swept over 15 square miles in 6 hours . . . . The area of the fire was nearly 100 percent burned; no structure or its contents escaped damage

The survey concluded—plausibly, but only for events prior to August 6, 1945—that:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, with the Japanese naval threat was down to zero, their air power virtually nonexistent, almost every major city firebombed to destruction, and significant scarcities created by an effective naval sea blockade, you nevertheless believe that Japan was just getting ready to make its move to continue its reign of terror, and that's why atomic bombs needed to be dropped on a couple cities full of people. I see.
farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 10:02 pm
@oralloy,
you guys realize that this has become a mutual masturbatorium because I dont think anyone is really reading anything that either of you are writing.
Ive long felt that the A bombing was a necessary thing because of a rather selfish reason. I would not have been born if my father were cut down in an attack on the Island of Japan. Your arguments, while at first important and entertaining, are now becoming one of those epic 20 page rebuttal, sur rebuttal things that many of us used to engage in but who, the late Frank Apisa, the champion at posting long boring self- possessed multi page skrees set the example for which you two seem to wish to attain.

I like the seriatal posting and responses to each of both of your "thoughtlets".

roger

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 10:06 pm
@farmerman,
You mean you read some of that stuff? I'm not even going to skim it, anymore.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 10:08 pm
@farmerman,
Do what the "scientist" does, cut and run.

Quote:
you guys realize that this has become a mutual masturbatorium

The blatham thread, "monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events" takes the cake, hands down for that, farmer, Replies: 41,304.

Your deposits are spread throughout that thread.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 10:08 pm
@farmerman,
.....and, who are both mutually wrong! Rolling Eyes
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 11:49 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
You kept denying the validity of any proposal. So I showed you one that you can't deny because it's based on what really happened.

What really happened is top scientists advised that a demonstration was impossible and they should attack a live target, and the government followed their recommendation and attacked a live target.

Glennn wrote:
You should think before accepting and repeating such a ridiculous explanation. I just showed you that they were already confronted with the loss of the entirety of many cities and hundreds of thousands of civilians and homes, and the reality of two and a half million refugees.

If you wish to disagree with the scientists who made the recommendation, that is your right.

It remains a fact, however, that this was their recommendation to the US government.

Glennn wrote:
You must have missed this:

Since I responded to it, I certainly didn't miss it.

Note that this post war assessment that you are repeatedly quoting does not in any way contradict the fact that the US dropped the A-bombs on Japan because we had to do something to end the reign of terror that they were inflicting on the world.

Glennn wrote:
So, with the Japanese naval threat was down to zero, their air power virtually nonexistent, almost every major city firebombed to destruction, and significant scarcities created by an effective naval sea blockade, you nevertheless believe that Japan was just getting ready to make its move to continue its reign of terror, and that's why atomic bombs needed to be dropped on a couple cities full of people. I see.

Japan's reign of terror lasted until they surrendered. They did not surrender until after both A-bombs had already been dropped.
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 11:50 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
you guys realize that this has become a mutual masturbatorium because I dont think anyone is really reading anything that either of you are writing.

Maybe JTT can cut-n-paste a batch of high quality anti-Hiroshima articles.

He did that once a few years ago. I of course had no trouble rebutting every single point, but the arguments presented by the authors were still a bit more challenging than what I normally encounter. It was fun.

farmerman wrote:
Your arguments, while at first important and entertaining, are now becoming one of those epic 20 page rebuttal, sur rebuttal things that many of us used to engage in but who, the late Frank Apisa, the champion at posting long boring self- possessed multi page skrees set the example for which you two seem to wish to attain.

The late Frank Apisa???

Anyway, I'm one of the world's foremost experts on this subject. Experts tend to like excessively discussing their pet topics long after all the non-experts in that topic have collapsed from boredom and exhaustion.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 11:54 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

You can't point out a single thing that I am wrong about.
Glennn

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2018 08:19 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
you guys realize that this has become a mutual masturbatorium

Translation: I like watching guys masturbate, and then condemning it because it makes me look like I've made a point on the topic when all I've really done is made the point that I like watching guys masturbate.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2018 08:31 am
@BillW,
Quote:
and, who are both mutually wrong!

Translation: If I were just a little smarter, I would understand that only one side of the argument can be wrong. And if I were way smarter, I would show why.
Glennn

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2018 09:45 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
What really happened is top scientists advised that a demonstration was impossible and they should attack a live target, and the government followed their recommendation and attacked a live target.

Yes, and the reasoning behind these scientists' advice was based on the assumption that if a nonlethal demonstration was announced, Japanese air power was sill adequate to give serious interference. However, that is not supported by the facts, as the Enola Gay was not given serious interference. A warning concerning the location of the demonstration could have been announced just minutes before the drop, leaving no time for interference. The military would have known this.

And these scientists were under the mistaken impression that a ground invasion was inevitable unless the bombs were dropped. But most military leaders at that time later stated that with or without the bomb, the Japanese would have surrendered, as well they did after the Soviets invaded Manchuria. Thinking that dropping the bomb on Hiroshima would end the war was like thinking that the 66th destroyed city is always the charm.

It is odd that the U.S. military would seek the counsel of scientists on this matter who had already said:

"We have, however, no claim to special competence in solving the political, social, and military problems which are presented by the advent of atomic power."
Quote:
If you wish to disagree with the scientists who made the recommendation, that is your right.

Yes it is.
Quote:
Note that this post war assessment that you are repeatedly quoting does not in any way contradict the fact that the US dropped the A-bombs on Japan because we had to do something to end the reign of terror that they were inflicting on the world.

With virtually all of Japan destroyed and on fire, I'd say that that marked the end of their reign of terror was a forgone conclusion.
Quote:
They did not surrender until after both A-bombs had already been dropped.

Which happened to coincide with the the Soviets declaration of war.
oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:37 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
BillW wrote:

Translation: If I were just a little smarter, I would understand that only one side of the argument can be wrong. And if I were way smarter, I would show why.

I believe that it is possible for all parties to an argument to be wrong.

However, he isn't going to be able to point out anything that I am wrong about here. Not because of his abilities, but because I'm simply not wrong about anything here.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:40 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Yes, and the reasoning behind these scientists' advice was based on the assumption that if a nonlethal demonstration was announced, Japanese air power was sill adequate to give serious interference. However, that is not supported by the facts, as the Enola Gay was not given serious interference. A warning concerning the location of the demonstration could have been announced just minutes before the drop, leaving no time for interference. The military would have known this.

How is it that Japan managed to chase the second A-bomb away from its intended target?

Glennn wrote:
And these scientists were under the mistaken impression that a ground invasion was inevitable unless the bombs were dropped. But most military leaders at that time later stated that with or without the bomb, the Japanese would have surrendered, as well they did after the Soviets invaded Manchuria.

I'm pretty sure that the scientists didn't consider the issue of invasion at all. They were tasked with determining whether a demonstration was possible.

The question of whether an invasion was necessary had nothing to do with the question of whether a demonstration was possible.

Glennn wrote:
Thinking that dropping the bomb on Hiroshima would end the war was like thinking that the 66th destroyed city is always the charm.

It was not irrational to hope that the power of the new bombs would scare Japan into surrendering. Having cities destroyed by a single plane dropping a single bomb is a marked escalation from cities being destroyed by hundreds of planes dropping thousands of bombs.

Glennn wrote:
It is odd that the U.S. military would seek the counsel of scientists on this matter who had already said:
"We have, however, no claim to special competence in solving the political, social, and military problems which are presented by the advent of atomic power."

Not odd at all. The best people to go to for advice on how to use nuclear weapons (especially in those early days when few others knew anything about them) were nuclear scientists.

They hadn't already said that, by the way. That was part of their response after they were consulted.

Glennn wrote:
With virtually all of Japan destroyed and on fire, I'd say that that marked the end of their reign of terror was a forgone conclusion.

It was a foregone conclusion only because our attacks were going to continue until Japan surrendered.

The A-bombs were part of those continued attacks.

Glennn wrote:
Which happened to coincide with the the Soviets declaration of war.

Yes.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:47 am
@babsatamelia,
A crime against Humanity yes indeed!
(yes I know the American usual response to this question)