Was it a war crime when US nuked Hiroshima & Nagasaki?

Glennn

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 06:39 pm
@oralloy,
Again, are you equating the effects of a conventional bomb with that of an atom bomb?

You also seem to be having a problem understanding that it is not impossible to inform a military leader that they have a certain amount of time in which to be near enough to the explosion to see it first hand, although seeing the effects of the explosion would speak for itself.
oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 06:42 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Again, are you equating the effects of a conventional bomb with that of an atom bomb?

No. I'm sure the A-bomb would be much more impressive to the farmer-witnesses than a conventional bomb would be.
Glennn

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 06:46 pm
@oralloy,
You are implying that an officer from the Japanese military would not know the difference between the effects of a conventional bomb and that of an atom bomb. Is that right?
oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 06:51 pm
@Glennn,
All the officer is going to have to go on is a couple farmers saying they saw a huge explosion.

I assume that the assessment would be conducted by a nuclear scientist, not by a military officer (who in fact probably wouldn't know the difference). But the result is the same. All they'd have to go on is a few excited farmers.
Glennn

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 06:58 pm
@oralloy,
Yeah, that and a decimated forest which would be on fire. Again, do you really believe that a military officer wouldn't know the difference between the effects of a conventional bomb and an atomic bomb?

Keep in mind that I'm not pressing the point that the Japanese could be informed where the demonstration would take place, and that they would be given just enough time to get there. For some unknown reason, you believe this to be impossible, but can't explain why.
camlok

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 07:00 pm
@oralloy,
Straight out deception as is your usual, oralloy.

Your notion that people can't tell the difference between regular bombing and the amoral war crimes of the US A bombs is as fatuous as your avoidance of the FEMA picture.

How come you aren't all over a discussion of the new US nanothermite bombs? You usually love talking about bombing civilians, children, babies, pregnant women, ... .
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 07:02 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
For some unknown reason, you believe this to be impossible, but can't explain why.

US propaganda, which is his only source, hasn't touched on this issue yet, hasn't developed the memes/talking points yet.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 07:07 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Yeah, that and a decimated forest which would be on fire. Again, do you really believe that a military officer wouldn't know the difference between the effects of a conventional bomb and an atomic bomb?

Yes. A WWII military officer wouldn't even know what an A-bomb was.

Not to mention the fact that the military officer would not witness the explosion. It would only be witnessed by a few farmers.

Glennn wrote:
Keep in mind that I'm not pressing the point that the Japanese could be informed where the demonstration would take place, and that they would be given just enough time to get there. For some unknown reason, you believe this to be impossible, but can't explain why.

If they have enough time to get nuclear experts there, they also have enough time to move American POWs to the kill zone.
Glennn

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 08:13 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
A WWII military officer wouldn't even know what an A-bomb was.

But they would certainly know that it wasn't a conventional bomb by virtue of both the aftermath and the mushroom cloud.
Quote:
If they have enough time to get nuclear experts there, they also have enough time to move American POWs to the kill zone.

Not true. They did not need to have nuclear experts there to witness the effects. A military officer would suffice. And they would be given just enough time to get close enough to witness the event.

You're attempting justify the incineration of cities full of people--not to mention the agony of those who were just outside the kill zone who were burned alive, and all of the ones who suffered radiation poisoning--by claiming that there was no way to demonstrate the bomb without also killing POWs. And besides, who is going to volunteer to take POWs to the kill zone when they know that they would be just as dead as the POWs?
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2018 01:34 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
But they would certainly know that it wasn't a conventional bomb by virtue of both the aftermath and the mushroom cloud.

Very large conventional weapons have an aftermath and mushroom clouds too.

Glennn wrote:
Not true. They did not need to have nuclear experts there to witness the effects. A military officer would suffice.

Not if they wanted someone with the expertise to know what they were seeing.

Glennn wrote:
And they would be given just enough time to get close enough to witness the event.

That is completely unrealistic. Wartime Japan would not instantly react and order an officer to go someplace just because the US sent them notice that they should do so.

Glennn wrote:
You're attempting justify the incineration of cities full of people--not to mention the agony of those who were just outside the kill zone who were burned alive, and all of the ones who suffered radiation poisoning--by claiming that there was no way to demonstrate the bomb without also killing POWs.

I've already justified that, when I pointed out that the US government needed to do something to end the reign of terror that Japan was inflicting on the world.

This thing about whether a demonstration was possible is a minor skirmish compared to that argument (as I see it at least).

Glennn wrote:
And besides, who is going to volunteer to take POWs to the kill zone when they know that they would be just as dead as the POWs?

The Japanese officers would probably abandon the kill zone with the POWs locked up cages or something.

Although given the fanaticism of Japanese officers, they'd actually have no shortage of volunteers for a suicide mission.
Glennn

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2018 03:40 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Very large conventional weapons have an aftermath and mushroom clouds too.

Then why don't you tell me what kind of conventional bomb from the 1940s creates the same aftermath as that of an atomic bomb. And which one would create a mushroom cloud that would rise to a height of fifty thousand feet and be seen from a hundred miles away?
Quote:
Not if they wanted someone with the expertise to know what they were seeing.

Any military officer would know that what they're seeing is not a conventional bomb. See above.
Quote:
That is completely unrealistic. Wartime Japan would not instantly react and order an officer to go someplace just because the US sent them notice that they should do so.

Pure speculation on your part.
Quote:
I've already justified that, when I pointed out that the US government needed to do something to end the reign of terror that Japan was inflicting on the world.

This idea that you hold onto is obsolete. Every military leader and his brother knew that Japan had collapsed and was already defeated and ready to surrender due to the naval sea blockade and the destruction of nearly every major city. And before you come out with your "But they didn't say anything while the bombs were being dropped" recital again, I will remind you that their orders were to follow orders without question.
Quote:
The Japanese officers would probably abandon the kill zone with the POWs locked up cages or something.

In one breath you state that wartime Japan would not instantly react and order an officer to go someplace just because the US sent them notice that they should do so. In the next breath you state that the Japanese officers would probably abandon the kill zone with the POWs locked up cages or something. So which one of these statements of yours do you really believe?
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2018 04:51 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Then why don't you tell me what kind of conventional bomb from the 1940s creates the same aftermath as that of an atomic bomb. And which one would create a mushroom cloud that would rise to a height of fifty thousand feet and be seen from a hundred miles away?

It isn't a question of identical effects. It's a question of a conventional bomb being impressive enough to fool someone who didn't know any better, which would lead Japanese officials who didn't witness any of it to suspect that we had fooled their witnesses.

A conventional bomb that might impress someone who didn't know any better would be something like the blockbuster bomb. Especially if we enhanced it with some incendiary material to produce some heat and light.

Glennn wrote:
Any military officer would know that what they're seeing is not a conventional bomb. See above.

Even if they were impressed, that doesn't mean that people who didn't witness the explosion would trust their judgement.

Glennn wrote:
Pure speculation on your part.

Well yes. This entire "what if we had attempted a demo" is pure speculation.

But it is pretty obvious that the wartime Japanese government was not going to dispatch an officer within a couple minutes of us notifying them of an imminent demonstration.

Glennn wrote:
This idea that you hold onto is obsolete.

No, it is the truth and is amply backed by historical records.

Glennn wrote:
This idea that you hold onto is obsolete. Every military leader and his brother knew that Japan had collapsed and was already defeated and ready to surrender due to the naval sea blockade and the destruction of nearly every major city.

They didn't know that Japan was ready to surrender. Some of them privately suspected it.

Glennn wrote:
And before you come out with your "But they didn't say anything while the bombs were being dropped" recital again, I will remind you that their orders were to follow orders without question.

That merely confirms that I am correct that they didn't voice any opposition.

Glennn wrote:
In one breath you state that wartime Japan would not instantly react and order an officer to go someplace just because the US sent them notice that they should do so. In the next breath you state that the Japanese officers would probably abandon the kill zone with the POWs locked up cages or something. So which one of these statements of yours do you really believe?

I see no contradiction between the statements and see no reason why they can't both be true.

I think it is pretty obvious that wartime Japan was not about to order an officer to go someplace only minutes after we informed them of an imminent demonstration.

Whether they would have moved our POWs to the kill zone if we had given them time to do so, I don't know, but it was certainly a legitimate fear.
Glennn

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2018 07:01 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
It isn't a question of identical effects.

Yeah it is. That's why I asked you to tell me what kind of bomb from the 1940s creates the same aftermath as that of an atomic bomb and a mushroom cloud that rises to a height of fifty thousand feet which can be seen from a hundred miles away. You implied that an atom bomb would appear to be a conventional bomb because conventional bombs create mushroom clouds, too. So it most certainly is a question of identical effects.

So rather than sidestep the issue, why don't you provide something to support your claim. I'm thinking that a you tube video of a blockbuster bomb creating a mushroom cloud that rises fifty thousand feet would be good. Can you provide something like that?
Quote:
Even if they were impressed, that doesn't mean that people who didn't witness the explosion would trust their judgement.

Doesn't mean that they wouldn't. You're overlooking the fact that the officer/s that their government would send would be sent precisely because their judgement would be trusted. That only makes sense, right?
Quote:
But it is pretty obvious that the wartime Japanese government was not going to dispatch an officer within a couple minutes of us notifying them of an imminent demonstration.

No, it is not obvious.
Quote:
No, it is the truth and is amply backed by historical records.

The historical record shows that nearly every military leader acknowledged that Japan was already defeated and that they would have surrendered without incinerating cities full of people using atom bombs. Your version of historical records omit those statements.
Quote:
That merely confirms that I am correct that they didn't voice any opposition.

No, that merely confirms that you misinterpret their following of orders without question as not being opposed, which, in light of their later statements, is a dishonest conclusion.
Quote:
Whether they would have moved our POWs to the kill zone if we had given them time to do so, I don't know, but it was certainly a legitimate fear.

No it wasn't. Being within twenty miles of ground zero would provide ample proof that the explosion and nine-mile high mushroom cloud that followed did not come from a conventional bomb.
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 10:49 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Yeah it is.

No. Fooling people with a very large conventional explosive does not require identical effects. It only requires something that will impress someone who doesn't know any better.

Glennn wrote:
So rather than sidestep the issue, why don't you provide something to support your claim.

Because it isn't my claim.

Glennn wrote:
Doesn't mean that they wouldn't. You're overlooking the fact that the officer/s that their government would send would be sent precisely because their judgement would be trusted. That only makes sense, right?

In your proposed scenario they aren't sending anyone with expertise. They are only sending whatever military officer happens to be close enough to witness the demonstration on very short notice.

A random officer might be trustworthy as far as honestly describing something to the best of their ability, but that doesn't make them immune to being fooled.

And we can be fairly confident that people in the Japanese government would be suspicious that we were perpetrating a ruse. There were people in the Japanese government who even suspected that the Hiroshima attack was a ruse.

Glennn wrote:
No, it is not obvious.

It is very obvious. No one in wartime Japan would order Japanese soldiers to go someplace on the advice of the United States until the Japanese government itself had considered the question and made a decision.

Glennn wrote:
The historical record shows that nearly every military leader acknowledged that Japan was already defeated and that they would have surrendered without incinerating cities full of people using atom bombs.

No. There were no expressions of such opposition during the war when the A-bombs were actually being used.

Unless you want to count Ike's secret conversation with a single person, but no one else even knew about that.

Glennn wrote:
Your version of historical records omit those statements.

That is because such wartime statements never happened.

Glennn wrote:
No, that merely confirms that you misinterpret their following of orders without question as not being opposed, which, in light of their later statements, is a dishonest conclusion.

No misinterpretation. The record is abundantly clear that no one voiced opposition to using the A-bombs when the A-bombs were being used.

The only dishonesty lies in untrue claims that such opposition was expressed to Truman during the war.

Glennn wrote:
No it wasn't.

I wager you'd find the possible massacre of our POWs to have been a legitimate fear if you or someone that you cared about had been one of those POWs.

Glennn wrote:
Being within twenty miles of ground zero would provide ample proof that the explosion and nine-mile high mushroom cloud that followed did not come from a conventional bomb.

That would be small comfort to any POWs at the center of the explosion.
camlok

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 11:59 am
@oralloy,
You are denying the US A-bomb war crime reality, oralloy, just like you deny the reality that the US government 911 story is a fable.

Glennn

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 01:01 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
No. Fooling people with a very large conventional explosive does not require identical effects. It only requires something that will impress someone who doesn't know any better.

So you're not able to produce an example of a conventional bomb that is similar in effect--or even close--to that of an atomic bomb, right? Right.

Besides arbitrarily proclaiming what would, and would not, impress Japanese Military Intelligence when you have no way of knowing such a thing, you're also trying to dismiss a nine-mile high mushroom cloud as unimpressive.
Quote:
Because it isn't my claim.

oralloy: Very large conventional weapons have an aftermath and mushroom clouds too.

Glennn: Then why don't you tell me what kind of conventional bomb from the 1940s creates the same aftermath as that of an atomic bomb. And which one would create a mushroom cloud that would rise to a height of fifty thousand feet and be seen from a hundred miles away?

oralloy: It isn't a question of identical effects. It's a question of a conventional bomb being impressive enough to fool someone who didn't know any better, which would lead Japanese officials who didn't witness any of it to suspect that we had fooled their witnesses.

Glennn:
Yeah it is. That's why I asked you to tell me what kind of bomb from the 1940s creates the same aftermath as that of an atomic bomb and a mushroom cloud that rises to a height of fifty thousand feet which can be seen from a hundred miles away. You implied that an atom bomb would appear to be a conventional bomb because conventional bombs create mushroom clouds, too. So it most certainly is a question of identical effects.

So rather than sidestep the issue, why don't you provide something to support your claim. I'm thinking that a you tube video of a blockbuster bomb creating a mushroom cloud that rises fifty thousand feet would be good. Can you provide something like that?

oralloy: . . . it isn't my claim.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

So it is your claim . . .
Quote:
In your proposed scenario they aren't sending anyone with expertise.

Oh, okay, then let me propose that they send someone from military intelligence who would understand that what they were witnessing was certainly not anything like a conventional bomb.
Quote:
A random officer might be trustworthy as far as honestly describing something to the best of their ability, but that doesn't make them immune to being fooled.

Again, a nine-mile high mushroom cloud and an incinerated forest.
Quote:
There were people in the Japanese government who even suspected that the Hiroshima attack was a ruse.

The team that went to Hiroshima was led by Dr. Yoshio Nishina, who had been a leader on the Japanese fission research program. He and a general arrived at Hiroshima on the morning of August 8th and began examining both the characteristics of the damage (e.g., by examining knocked-down grass and trees, he could discern from what direction a uniform blast wave had traveled, for example) and the human remains (many of which showed signs of immediate high-temperature burns, and were measurably radioactive). From that he concluded very quickly that the weapon was an atomic bomb. On the evening of August 8th sent back to Tokyo the message:

What I've seen so far is unspeakable. Tens of thousands dead. Bodies piled up everywhere. Sick, wounded, naked people wandering around in a daze... Almost no buildings left standing. It's all true then? Hiroshima is completely wiped out? Completely. ... I'm very sorry to tell you this... the so-called new-type bomb is actually an atomic bomb.
Quote:
No. There were no expressions of such opposition during the war when the A-bombs were actually being used.

You are again using their obligation to follow orders without question as a way to discredit their statements that Japan was already defeated and that incinerating cities full of people was not a military necessity.

The commanding general of the U.S. Army Air Forces, Henry H. "Hap" Arnold, gave a strong indication of his views in a public statement only eleven days after Hiroshima was attacked. Asked on August 17 by a New York Times reporter whether the atomic bomb caused Japan to surrender, Arnold said:

The Japanese position was hopeless even before the first atomic bomb fell, because the Japanese had lost control of their own air.

In his 1949 memoirs Arnold observed that "it always appeared to us that, atomic bomb or no atomic bomb, the Japanese were already on the verge of collapse." (See p. 334, Chapter 27)

Arnold's deputy, Lieutenant General Ira C. Eaker, summed up his understanding this way in an internal military history interview:

Arnold's view was that it [the dropping of the atomic bomb] was unnecessary. He said that he knew the Japanese wanted peace. There were political implications in the decision and Arnold did not feel it was the military's job to question it.

Eaker reported that Arnold told him:

When the question comes up of whether we use the atomic bomb or not, my view is that the Air Force will not oppose the use of the bomb, and they will deliver it effectively if the Commander in Chief decides to use it. But it is not necessary to use it in order to conquer the Japanese without the necessity of a land invasion.

[Eaker also recalled: "That was the representation I made when I accompanied General Marshall up to the White House" for a discussion with Truman on June 18, 1945.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Even Truman himself knew that the Japanese were looking for peace:

The Americans, having broken Japanese codes, were aware of Japan's desperation to negotiate peace with the U.S. before the Soviets invaded. Truman himself described an intercepted cable from July 18, 1945, as the "telegram from the Jap emperor asking for peace."

Truman reiterated this in a letter to his wife the next day: "We'll end the war a year sooner now, and think of the kids who won't be killed."
Quote:
That would be small comfort to any POWs at the center of the explosion.

We've already discussed the problem with your insistence that there is no way to time things in such a way that there would be no time to move POWs to the the kill zone. As I said, no one needs to be that close to ground zero.

oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 05:29 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Besides arbitrarily proclaiming what would, and would not, impress Japanese Military Intelligence when you have no way of knowing such a thing,

I do have a way of knowing such a thing. First there is the fact that any wartime power would suspect a ruse. Second there is the recorded historical fact that there were people in the Japanese government who suspected a ruse even after Hiroshima.

Glennn wrote:
you're also trying to dismiss a nine-mile high mushroom cloud as unimpressive.

I've never said any such thing. I'm sure that the handful of farmers who witnessed your proposed explosion would be very impressed.

Glennn wrote:
So it is your claim . . .

No. My claim is that the Japanese government would suspect that we had fooled their witnesses with a ruse.

Glennn wrote:
Oh, okay, then let me propose that they send someone from military intelligence who would understand that what they were witnessing was certainly not anything like a conventional bomb.

Setting aside the impossibility of deploying this person at a moment's notice, such a person would also be lacking in the necessary expertise.

Glennn wrote:
Again, a nine-mile high mushroom cloud and an incinerated forest.

And a witness without enough expertise to convince the Japanese government that they saw a real A-bomb.

Glennn wrote:
The team that went to Hiroshima was led by Dr. Yoshio Nishina, who had been a leader on the Japanese fission research program. He and a general arrived at Hiroshima on the morning of August 8th and began examining both the characteristics of the damage (e.g., by examining knocked-down grass and trees, he could discern from what direction a uniform blast wave had traveled, for example) and the human remains (many of which showed signs of immediate high-temperature burns, and were measurably radioactive). From that he concluded very quickly that the weapon was an atomic bomb. On the evening of August 8th sent back to Tokyo the message:

What I've seen so far is unspeakable. Tens of thousands dead. Bodies piled up everywhere. Sick, wounded, naked people wandering around in a daze... Almost no buildings left standing. It's all true then? Hiroshima is completely wiped out? Completely. ... I'm very sorry to tell you this... the so-called new-type bomb is actually an atomic bomb.

Note that this was a NUCLEAR SCIENTIST.

As I've been saying all along, only one of their nuclear scientists would have the necessary expertise to be a convincing witness.

Glennn wrote:
You are again using their obligation to follow orders without question as a way to discredit their statements that Japan was already defeated and that incinerating cities full of people was not a military necessity.

No. I am using the recorded historical fact that they said no such thing, to point out the reality that they said no such thing.

Glennn wrote:
The commanding general of the U.S. Army Air Forces, Henry H. "Hap" Arnold, gave a strong indication of his views in a public statement only eleven days after Hiroshima was attacked. Asked on August 17 by a New York Times reporter whether the atomic bomb caused Japan to surrender, Arnold said:

The Japanese position was hopeless even before the first atomic bomb fell, because the Japanese had lost control of their own air.

Statement made only after the war was over.

Glennn wrote:
In his 1949 memoirs Arnold observed that "it always appeared to us that, atomic bomb or no atomic bomb, the Japanese were already on the verge of collapse." (See p. 334, Chapter 27)

Statement made only after the war was over.

Also selectively quoted out of context to make it sound like he said the opposite of what he really said.

Glennn wrote:
Arnold's deputy, Lieutenant General Ira C. Eaker, summed up his understanding this way in an internal military history interview:

Arnold's view was that it [the dropping of the atomic bomb] was unnecessary. He said that he knew the Japanese wanted peace. There were political implications in the decision and Arnold did not feel it was the military's job to question it.
Eaker reported that Arnold told him:

When the question comes up of whether we use the atomic bomb or not, my view is that the Air Force will not oppose the use of the bomb, and they will deliver it effectively if the Commander in Chief decides to use it. But it is not necessary to use it in order to conquer the Japanese without the necessity of a land invasion.

[Eaker also recalled: "That was the representation I made when I accompanied General Marshall up to the White House" for a discussion with Truman on June 18, 1945.

Not opposition to using the A-bombs.

You do realize that if I successfully address something the first time, I'll be able to successfully address it when you repeat it?

Glennn wrote:
Even Truman himself knew that the Japanese were looking for peace:

The Americans, having broken Japanese codes, were aware of Japan's desperation to negotiate peace with the U.S. before the Soviets invaded. Truman himself described an intercepted cable from July 18, 1945, as the "telegram from the Jap emperor asking for peace."

"Wanting the war to be over" and "being willing to surrender" are two different things.

The only way for Japan to have avoided the A-bombs was to surrender.

Glennn wrote:
Truman reiterated this in a letter to his wife the next day: "We'll end the war a year sooner now, and think of the kids who won't be killed."

Truman's hope that Soviet entry into the war would make Japan surrender was a hope. It doesn't mean that he actually knew what would make Japan surrender.

Glennn wrote:
We've already discussed the problem with your insistence that there is no way to time things in such a way that there would be no time to move POWs to the the kill zone. As I said, no one needs to be that close to ground zero.

I'm sure the handful of farmers who happened to witness the explosion would be very impressed. It's a shame that the Japanese government wouldn't believe them.
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 05:31 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:
You are denying the US A-bomb war crime reality, oralloy,

That is incorrect. I am pointing out that the A-bombs were dropped because we had to do something to end Japan's reign of terror. Also the fact that the A-bombs were dropped on military targets.

I have not addressed the question of war crimes at all.
camlok

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 06:30 pm
@oralloy,
You dishonestly added a period in my writing where there was none.

You are denying the US A-bomb war crime reality, oralloy, just like you deny the reality that the US government 911 story is a fable.

What is it that makes "we are a free and open society people who address all head on" folks turn into intellectual cowards when faced with hard science?
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2018 06:31 pm
@camlok,
Wrong. Look again. It is still a comma.
0 Replies