Appropriate guest attire for a (semi?) formal wedding?

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 08:31 pm
It is a nice tattoo. I can't tell how crusty these people are. The black dress I do have is about a size too small. But, it might somehow work.... it's small in the right places.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 08:37 pm
@littlek,
I'm all for saving the money if if could work, and then, mmm, spending it on something else.

On the possible fusty crusty people, does this matter? We are different ages, and I'm more devil may care than I used to be. As in let'em fust and crust.

What does everyone else think, here?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 08:43 pm
@littlek,
Did you go to those stores or just online?

I'm forever finding fancy dresses at Banana Republic (in the store, not online) for incredibly good prices. I try them on, admire, and then realize I have nothing to wear them to (and if I did there are three Banana Republic dreses + skirts just waiting for their chance -- so cheap though!). By "cheap" I mean like originally $170 for $24.99.

Boden is another one with some nice dresses that go way on sale -- summer stuff is on sale now.

I wouldn't worry about the tat.
littlek

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 08:46 pm
@sozobe,
God no! I just went to these stores online! The thought makes me cringe. i think the plan is to find stores with potential online and then find them on the ground.

Boden is a good idea.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 08:47 pm
Oh, I love that Indian outfit Chai posted - that's really great, and would fit you
well too, littlek.

Look by Amazon.com under "formal dresses" - there is an abundance
of beautiful dresses with reasonable prices. Look at this one....

http://www.amazon.com/Chiffon-Holiday-Bridesmaid-Crystals-Knee-Length/dp/B00144I22O/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1279680352&sr=8-15
littlek

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 08:57 pm
@CalamityJane,
CJ - that's gorgeous, but I think too formal.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 09:24 pm
Repeat Chai's (I think) suggestion of recycle or charity shops - one near me has wonderful things, often brand new.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 09:41 pm
Here is one for $ 39.00
http://www.newport-news.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=36941273&index=70&gp_coll_id=9&gp_cat_id=1649&nav_cat_id=1686&category_id=7660
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 10:05 pm
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/dresses/viewalldresses/PRD~651481/AB+Studio+Solid+Sheath+Dress.jsp

$24

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/dresses/viewalldresses/PRD~657208/Chaps+Empire+Dress.jsp#

$35

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/dresses/viewalldresses/PRD~562629/Chaps+Surplice+Dress.jsp

$35

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/dresses/viewalldresses/PRD~562711/Chaps+Surplice+Dress.jsp

$40
Mame

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 05:19 am
@littlek,
Well, maybe something similar, but lighter, for the weather conditions. But anyway, that's the sort of thing we're talking about, so you've got the right idea.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:00 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet,
nice dresses but where did you get the prices? When I click on your Kohls links,
the prices are all higher and double what you've written down. Is Kohls in
ABQ cheaper ?
Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:05 am
@littlek,
You're in the Boston area (yes dress can also depend on the area of the country). I'd say you are safe in a nice dress (something above casual) or a very nice pant suit if you prefer. Do you have a picture or two on what you were thinking? Pictures always help me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:08 am
@littlek,
Looking at these pictures - I'd think any would be appropriate. My experience with weddings in the NE area - you see a broad scope. Wear any of these that you would be comfortable in.
Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:08 am
@littlek,
I think this is perfect
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:10 am
@littlek,
If it is indoors and in the evening, it should be fine.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:50 am
littlek, Just back from the hospital. While I was waiting, I was thinking about this situation. Does the invitation specifically have two different times? 4:30 ceremony; 7:00 reception? If the bride's side is as fancy shmancy as you mentioned, these might be viewed as two separate events. Is that possible? If this were the case, I would think that two different outfits would be appropriate. I would certainly wear something different for a 4:30 event from what I would wear at 7.

Just pondering. Is there anyone you can ask?

Rockhead

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:53 am
@littlek,
do you have a tuxedo t-shirt?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 10:31 am
@CalamityJane,
the Kohl's sale price is to the right of the page - the regular price is closer to the photo

nice dresses at Kohl's, but I'd consider all of them too casual for a semi-formal, let alone formal wedding at one of those wedding estates in Connecticut
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 10:37 am
@CalamityJane,
This is not a bad option.

It's one of the only ones I've looked at that I couldn't imagine someone wearing to work.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 10:38 am
@Roberta,
Good point about the two events - two outfits/dresses.
0 Replies