Babies as wedding accessories?

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 06:17 am

A Bride Actually Tied Her Baby To Her Wedding Dress Train And Dragged Her Down The Aisle
http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/a-bride-actually-tied-her-newborn-baby-to-her-wedding-dress
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 29,351 • Replies: 54

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 07:33 am
@tsarstepan,
Ok, I'm on my third cup of coffee now so I could face looking at this after avoiding it for an hour.

I think she/they didn't mean to abuse the child. And I am supposing Vera Wang had no part of this, geez. But I'm still cringing, this was at least unwise. I could understand something like a front baby carrier -

http://www.toysrus.com/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-7953848dt.jpg

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 07:34 am
@tsarstepan,
Hollowed out, they make great vases for the wedding party's flowers.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 07:37 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I think she/they didn't mean to abuse the child.

No one is calling her out for that. It's just a question of goofy/near negligence.

Or have a responsible tween aged child (the ringbearer) carefully carry the baby in a basket.
jespah

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 07:50 am
What weirdness. The statement is even stranger, that the bride claims she and the groom were 'covered by Christ' so everything is just dandy.

Does Christ cover her for any of her other decisions? Is something that one can say to, I dunno, get out of a speeding ticket?

Officer: Ma'am, you were doing 90 in a construction zone.
Her: I was covered by Christ.
Officer: Oh, then everything's cool, despite the fact that you endangered a bunch of innocent people, and speeding tickets are given out even if there is no accident. I won't even give you a warning. Because, you know, Jesus.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 08:02 am
@tsarstepan,
It said on your link that people are saying CPS should be called, which is why I said that.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 08:29 am
Much ado about nothing.

While I won't comment on whether or not I think it was an attractive thing to do. I see nothing wrong.

The infant is sleeping on a piece of cloth and the cloth is being slowly dragged along the ground. No different if you had the babe sleeping on a sheet or blanket in the living room, and you pulled the sheet/blanket carefully into the next room, with the baby on it.

There were no obstacles in the way, she wasn't dancing a jig up the isle, and there were dozens on people standing within 5 feet to come to the baby's rescue if he inexplicably took off and incredibly decided to do a barrel roll 6 inches and onto a carpet. A baby that age can't even roll over.

There's no neglect involved. There are plenty of loving people right there that would see no harm would come to the baby due do the fact it's laying on some ruffled lace and satin, and is being pulled along a few feet.

I'd be more worried about some tween carrying it in a basket quite frankly.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 08:45 am
@jespah,
But she wasn't doing 90 in a construction zone. She was including her baby in the walk up the ailse, moving at 1/4 mile an hour, with her baby safe as houses.

It wasn't a last minute decision, it says the dress was altered to account for the baby.

I think I can safely think this meant that in some way the baby was secure and safe.

What is it exactly that is bothering people so much? Is it:

(a) the baby is being "dragged" It's not being dragged.
(b) she made a religious comment? Well, even without Jesus, the baby was safe.
(c) it "looks" funny? Well, if you don't like it, don't do it at your wedding.
(d) there was potentially neglect? The baby was surrounded by mother, father, relatives and friends. All of which were not going to step on the baby.

Carry in a basket?
You know, I've seen mothers out in public with their baby in one of those basket thingies, and thought how they (to me) seem boderline abusive.
People put the baby in, pick it up and off they go. Look at it from the baby's perspective. I'd be puking my guts out within 2 minutes. Next time you see someone in a store carrying one of these things, check it out. Every time the parent turns, the baby, staring at the ceiling and everything above its head, is whirled around 180 degrees, or 360. Then a stop, and sudden revolution the other way. Then it's put down, picked back up, spun 2 more times put down, picked up. You watch, there's no more care taken than if the woman was just turning around with her handbag.
Even better, they give the basket to their 12 year old....wheeeeeeee!

But no, that's fine, having your baby on what basically amounts to a travois and being gently pulled along is awful.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 10:52 am
@tsarstepan,
Not sure it is outright neglict, but it is stupid. Tying a baby on - how secure was it? Potential for the baby to roll off and tumble? There is potential for danger when you drag a baby on a piece of cloth on the ground. Who in their right mind ties a baby?

My mind is also think - what about some one accidentally stepping on the train? Hasn't that happened at weddings?

It is just stupid and reckless. No one drags a baby on just a piece of cloth -- any baby carrying item are tested over and over and for safety and this person ties it to her train.

Mother of year I say. Some people are just too dumb to have kids.
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 12:12 pm
@Linkat,
My brothers used to put me on a blanket and drag me all over the house when I was a toddler. I loved it.
They made like it was a wagon train, and moved along right nicely, taking corners at a clip. It was fun, and as a toddler I was totally capable of throwing myself off at any time and konking my head.

This baby can't even roll on its own. Safe enough on a woman walking at wedding march pace. Where is it going to "tumble" to? The carpet at which the baby is already at the same level? Do the think the baby is going to fly off and tumble all the way down the church aisle and down the stairs in front of the building?
That kid wasn't going anywhere.

Jesus, when you say "tied" you make it sound like the kid was bound and gagged with the ropes tearing ligature marks around it's wrists (or neck even). Even if the baby wasn't secured, it wouldn't have rolled off.

OMG, the baby was tied to the wedding dress! Oh please. Does the sleeping baby look like it's in agony?
They were DRAGGING it across the floor!
Dragging? Or gently pulling along on a thick padding that was under the wedding dress stuff.
You make it sound like the poor kid was attached to the back of a pickup truck, and taken for a joy ride.

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 12:30 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

My mind is also think - what about some one accidentally stepping on the train? Hasn't that happened at weddings?

Shocked

I think we can safely assume the baby was not on the train for the next few hours, leaving the church, and at the reception.

Was someone going to step out into the aisle and stomp the baby? This was all in the time frame of probably less than a minute. And no, I've never seen a bride's train get stepped on while she was walking up the aisle.

The whole idea was that the baby was on the train when the mother walked up the aisle, and that's all. It wasn't like she was going to leave the baby there and run down the church steps and into the waiting limo.

You know, I was reading some of the comments on line about this, and you would have thought this woman held her kid up to an open gas flame.
Worse yet, all these comments about the fact she had a baby and wasn't even married, and how wrong that is. Let's not forget the terrible comment she made about Christ be by her side. People are taking that to mean she could throw herself and the baby off a skyscraper and they'd be fine.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 12:40 pm
I'm not against the woman, but the reaction was predictable. Now baby gets to look back on her (his?) early days as a bridal train drag/internet sensation. Maybe the new husband could have tied the child in his tux tails on the way back down the aisle, or a backpack, for symbolic equal opportunity.

At best a gimmick meant well.
Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 12:43 pm
@chai2,
You were a toddler when you were pulled around - whole different thing than a one month old. And yes babies move - they don't roll over in a sense, but they move and are capable of falling off things- thus why you are not supposed to leave even a new born when they are on a changing table. And some babies at a very young age - less than a month in some cases can roll over. It is not safe to leave a baby alone where it can roll over or move at all and get hurt.

Look up any basic baby info and you will find that babies can and do roll and fall off things as soon as a baby is born. It is just plain stupid. Having been a mom of two I realize it is just plain dumb to tie (it was stated in the article as such) a baby to a train.

And I had never dragged my newborn on a blanket from room to room as you suggest, babies do not wake upon lifting up - a normal mom would pick the baby up to move not drag a blanket.

As I said this isn't necessarily neglect, but just plain old stupid and lacks a certain amount of common sense.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 12:45 pm
@Linkat,
They also poop at inopportune times, unless poop is programmed now.

Oh, wait..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 12:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Well just look at some of the pictures in the article of this couple - doesn't seem like the brightest bulbs or the sharpest tools in the tool chest.
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 12:52 pm
@Linkat,
There was nothing for the baby to fall off of!!!

It was already ON the floor. If it rolled off, it wouldn't have changed its elevation by 1/2 an inch! It wasn't even on a changing table. It was on a clean, brand new piece of cloth, on the floor.

It wasn't alone, it was surrounding by people, ALL of which where looking at it.

I didn't say you did move your baby from room to room on a blanket. I'll bet it's been done countless times though.

I'm saying if you were at someone's home, and a baby was sleeping on a blanket in the middle of the living room, and the mother took up 2 ends of the blanket and scooted the baby a few feet over, or even a few yards, you wouldn't fall over in shock thinking the child was being abused. What in the world is going to happen to a sleeping infant, even if it can roll, if whatever it's sleeping on is moved over? Especially when people are looking right at the baby. Sorry, but that's just ridiculous.

They had to use the word "tie", but don't make it sound like it was a hostage tied to a chair with ropes.
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 12:53 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

You were a toddler when you were pulled around - whole different thing than a one month old.

Yeah....I was MUCH more likely to get hurt as a toddler.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:10 pm
@Linkat,
is that the buzzfeed article? I haven't been paying full attention, but, when pressed by curiosity, might like to look further.
Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:13 pm
@chai2,
You can't change stupid - it is stupid -- a baby has a very weak neck. It is stupid to drag a baby on the train of a dress. It is stupid to drag a baby even slowly on a blanket across a fall. End of story. Is it abuse - maybe not. But there is no denying it is stupid.

Yes the baby can get hurt rolling onto a carpet - yes the baby could roll into a pew. People put bumpers on cribs so the baby does not bump its head in a crib. Is it likely- no - but it is stupid to do something that unnecessarily puts a new born baby in danger of being harmed.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:14 pm
@chai2,
No - you are less likely to be hurt being dragged on a blanket as a toddler. Toddlers have necks that are strong enough to hold their head upright.
0 Replies