bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 07:11 am
Arkansas ex-prison chaplain charged with sexually assaulting inmates
Source: Reuters

Arkansas ex-prison chaplain charged with sexually assaulting inmates

Reuters
By Steve Barnes
December 17, 2015 6:05 PM

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (Reuters) - A former Arkansas prison chaplain was charged on Thursday with 50 counts of sexual assault on suspicion of pressuring three inmates at a women's state prison into providing him sexual favors, authorities said.

Kenneth Dewitt, 67, was charged in state court with using a position of trust or authority to sexually abuse the women. Each count is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine, they said.

The activity is suspected to have occurred in Dewitt's office at the Newport prison, about 90 miles northeast of Little Rock, over 21 months ending in September 2014, according to an investigator’s affidavit attached to the charges.

. . .

One of the female inmates described herself in the affidavit as intimidated and shocked by Dewitt’s demands, and “thought very seriously about suicide.”

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/arkansas-ex-prison-chaplain-charged-sexually-assaulting-inmates-230524736.html
BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 07:26 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Given that two of the three women was behind bars for murders, I question if the sex had anything to do with rape.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 07:40 am
@BillRM,
You would, but your opinion could not be described as objective.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 07:54 am
@BillRM,
Bill, that is extremely unfunny. Really nothing funny about it at all. Rape dehumanizes women and is even worse when it is committed in prison. Really, really dismal comment.

When we put people into cages we have an obligation to keep it humane.

Shame on you.
BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 11:15 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Rape surely does however we are talking about a 67 years old man and at a guess younger women who two had been convicted of murder so whatever the arrangements had been between them it was not likely rape.

More likely you scratch my back I will scratch your and while given his position of power over them in a prison he was way out of line once more it was not likely rape but more an improper sexual arrangement enter into willingly by both sides.

Yes by the way he should be charge with a crime just not rape or sexual assault from what is known at this time.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 11:51 am
@BillRM,
Are you claiming that you know more about the case than the people who laid the charges?

BillRM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 12:44 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
The Arkansas Department of Corrections said on Thursday it had alerted state police in December when it learned of the allegations and said it had “zero tolerance” for any sexual contact between staff and inmates.

As in the case of statutory rape, it is unlikely that any sexual contact under the law between a prison employee and a prisoner would be consider anything but sexual abused/sexual assault as they was unlikely under the law to be able to legally grant consent to sex, but that does not mean that he raped them.

Once more two of those women was in prison for capital murder and he was in his mid 60s so my bet is that both sides was getting something out of the relationship.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 07:09 am
@BillRM,
Are you mentally ill?

Rape is rape. Its always a serious crime. It should always be referred to as what it is - serious crime. That guy raped those women. He is a rapist. He is charged with rape and when he's found guilty he needs to be sentenced for a long time as a rapist.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 07:14 am
@BillRM,
Dummy, he was in a position of authority as a chaplain, he exploited his position to rape prisoners he was in no position to help.

He's a rapist who raped prisoners. If anyone was exploiting the situation, he was. You think prisoners deserve anything that happens to them, even a raping from someone who is supposed to be helping the prisoners he was hired to counsel, not rape them; which is what that rapist did - he raped powerless women.
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 07:29 am
@bobsal u1553115,
First I never stated he did not do both a moral and a legal misdeed concerning those women but once more for the reasons given it was not likely rape in my opinion.

As give everything I can not see him using force or the threat of force to have sex with them and as far as using his position to harm them if they did not provide sex he was the one who would had needed to be concern over one of them reporting him.

It more likely to had been a straight up arrangement between adults with him getting sex and them getting the extra benefits that he could arrange for them in prison due to his position in the system.

Such is surely once more neither legal or moral but it was not rape except in the legal sense that the women could not consent to having sex with him.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 11:51 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
but it was not rape except in the legal sense that the women could not consent to having sex with him.

I'm almost too angry even type right now. He's legally classified as rapist, he admits he's a rapist. He's been in trouble over sexual situations before. Why are you trying to ameliorate the raping crimes of a raping rapist who raped woman rape victims?

Now that I've cooled down a bit: What do you means its rape but its only rape because its called rape, anyways? Are you suggesting it all depends on what your defintion of is, is?

Rape IS rape because there's no element of consent to it. That lack of consent is what makes it rape. Violence is a contributing factor.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 11:58 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
relationship

relationship?

___

non-consensual sex is rape.

full stop.

__

edit: I made a mistake coming back to look at this thread. ciao kids

glitterbag

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 12:46 pm
@ehBeth,
There must be something in the air, I opened up this thread today after happily ignoring it for, for, I'm not sure, but apparently not long enough. I'm still shocked that a few men (sic) are so mindlessly refusing to see that it is indeed an assault to put your hand, your mouth or other parts of your body on any girl/woman who appears on their radar.
What is the real bottom line for men like this? Do they think they are bestowing a wonderful gift to the women, perhaps complimenting her on the presentabily of their breasts or other area? Even stating such things out loud makes women uncomfortable. Very few men are so deluded they say these things to women in front of other people. The reason they don't is because they still want to hang on to the facade of honorable, respectable men. But since most men have greater physical strength than most women, sleazy men don't fear assaulting or insulting women in dark, out of the way places where these degenerate behaviours won't be viewed or judged by honest decent men.
Well, I'm signing off like ehbeth and ossobucco have done. I don't understand men like BillRM, probably because my Dad had so much respect for my mother. And probably because he warned me about men like Bill and told me how repellent and dehumanizing and worthless such men are.
Thank God for the true adult male, and there are many such men on this forum and in all other walks of life.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 01:56 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Sure as the meaning of rape legally is in constant state of flux and have been for generations.

In my own lifetime there was no such thing as legal rape in marriage for example.

But be that as it may to me rape of an adult is the used of force or the threat of force or having sex with someone that is unaware of her or his surroundings.

However the issue of valid consent had come into play with a husband charge with raping his wife with her consent in a nursing home due to her not having the right any longer to consent to sex even with her husband at least that was the state theory.

Of course a jury found him innocent but that is just an example of the kind of path we had been going down.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 02:01 pm
@ehBeth,
An I was not talking about non-consensual sex in the case of the three women as two of them was convicted murderers and the man was elderly so the idea that he could force non-consensual sex on them is not in the realm of likelihood.

What he did do was to have sex with women due to them being in prison could not legally consent to sex.

That have moral and legal problems but it is not rape in any other way but in the legal sense.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 06:57 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, statutory rape is also not a typically physically forced act but we recognize that minors cannot give informed consent.

In a prison situation where guards have authority over prisoners do you not think that prisoner consent is a tricky issue?

Also what does age and prior convictions have to do with anything?
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 08:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Once more I had stated that his actions was wrong for both moral and legal reasons it just in my opinion not rape but an illegal agreement between adults for the women to provide sex for whatever benefits he could provide them by means of his position in the prison system.

Of the three women two had been convicted of murder so they are not poor innocent young women that the big evil senior citizen took advantage of.

Hell for one thing he illegal used his government office to gain benefits he was not entitle to just as if he had taken a money bribe from the women.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 08:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
By the way the lack of the ability to grant consent just ended up with a long husband being charge with raping his wife.

She was in a nursing home and he would come to visit and sometime they would have sex in her room.

It seems that someone at the home decided that they could no longer enjoy marriage relationship due to the informed consent issue and order him not to have sex with his wife.

He did what most men would that love their wives and told the nursing home to go to hell.

The state then trial him for rape and the jury laugh them out of course.

It seems that with any good idea it always end up being taken to extreme when placed in a law book.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 10:00 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Rape IS rape because there's no element of consent to it. That lack of consent is what makes it rape. Violence is a contributing factor.

The lack of legally valid consent is what now made it rape.

As I already stated a wife in a nursing home can be raped by her decades long husband if someone declared she can no long grant legal consent, or at least one state try to placed a husband in prison for such a "rape" already.

So this thread title is can a woman ask be "rape" and sadly the answer is hell yes in fact a woman can beg to be "rape" and afterward if the legal system decide that she did not have the right or ability to grant consent at the moment of the sex act for whatever reason then she was a rape victim.a

It also work for men as they to can be denial the right to consent to sex as in the case of a number of legal adult males who have sex with a teacher at their school and not even a teacher that they have classes with and yet legal adults that could grant consent for sex with the rest of the whole human race, still have this teacher convicted of raping them.

Yes the teacher show poor judgment and should had been fired but not convicted of raping willing adult males.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:03 am
@BillRM,
Bill, lacking a legal consent IS a lack of consent. Why are you torturing words?

The rest of that response is a word salad. How does a person consent to be non-consenting? A woman may ask for "rough" sex, she may ask for serial sex acts with multiple partners, but the act of consent precludes any rape purely because rape has more to do about the lack of consent than it does about sex. No one can ask for a raping.