Hey, Can A Woman "Ask To Get Raped"?

BillRM

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 03:39 pm
@BillRM,
Oh as far as kittens working on the heart strings of little/young girls I myself do not go near the cages at Pet Smart of dogs and cats up for adoption for fear I would end up leaving with a kitten if I did so.

With Midnight kittens I try to handle them just enough that they became comfort with humans for fear that I would bond with them and end up keeping all of them.

Smokey however was the runt of the litter and I needed to handle her a great deal more to make sure she would survive.

She stop eating and even when I took her into the bathroom so she would not need to compete with her sisters and brother but she just look at the food. Was sure I was going to loss her but when I held her in one hand and placed the cat food on the fingers of the other hand she eat.

She even gave me little love bits while eating and lord talk about bonding with her.

To sum up I think that a box of kittens work with anyone with any kind of a heart not just young girls.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 03:58 pm
By Emily Yoffe
Quote:
I wrote a story whose message is obvious: The campus culture of binge drinking is toxic, and many rapists prey on drunk young women. I said that when women lose the capacity to be responsible for their actions, sexual predators target them for attack. As banal as these observations are, I knew this story would result in a torrent of outrage. Torrent it has been, so I wanted to characterize the responses and reply to some of my many critics. But it’s hard for me to know what to say when my story deploring the all-too-common sexual assault of women gets described in Feministing as “a rape denialism manifesto.” It’s also discouraging to see willful distortion of what I wrote, of which there was much. I never said in my piece that women shouldn’t drink, only that they shouldn’t get drunk to the point of incapacitation. So it’s baffling that that the Daily Mail would claim I said, “Don’t drink if you don’t want to get raped.”

The overwhelming majority of critics accused me of blaming the victim and promoting “rape culture.” They were outraged that my message about drinking was primarily aimed at women. I said in my piece, “The culture of binge drinking—whose pinnacle is the college campus—does not just harm women” and cited the injury both young men and women suffer. But I focused on a danger that overwhelmingly affects women: rape. Because of the strong evidence that intoxication and sexual assault are linked and that a kind of predator seeks out intoxicated women, I concentrated on informing young women that avoiding incapacitation could help them stay safe. But there was extreme offense taken to the idea that women should change their behavior in any way to protect themselves. One college professor summed it up when she wrote to me, “to reiterate the old Puritan line that women need to restrain and modify their pleasure-seeking behaviors is a big step backward.” Apparently I was mistaken that it is common sense to acknowledge that part of growing up for all is recognizing dangers and learning to restrain one’s pleasure-seeking behaviors in order to better avoid them.

Many others said I should have written a piece not focusing on women, but on men, who, after all, are the rapists. I did note in the story the importance of rape education—especially teaching young men and women what consent means and that a highly intoxicated woman can’t give it. But I agree with critics that the education of men is an important issue and I should have hit it harder. However, the argument went beyond that to declare that when it comes to sexual assault, women’s behavior is a verboten topic and the only thing to discuss is men. Many said college women don’t need to change their drinking habits—what has to change is a male culture of sexual entitlement. No doubt that culture should change, but at best it will do so slowly and incompletely. In the meantime, this weekend, some young, intoxicated women will wake up next to guys they never wanted to sleep with. I believe it’s worth talking about how keeping within a safe drinking limit can potentially help young women avoid such situations.

Critics, by the dozen, asserted my story should have consisted of the one simple, utopian message. Here’s a typical email: “Men should NOT RAPE. Period. End of story.” My Slate colleague, Amanda Hess, in her rebuttal to my piece, had a more sophisticated take. She wrote, “We can prevent the most rapes on campus by putting our efforts toward finding and punishing those perpetrators, not by warning their huge numbers of potential victims to skip out on parties.” I certainly think resources should be put toward finding and punishing rapists, but prosecutors, whose job it is to convict people of crimes, have a difficult time bringing cases of alcohol-facilitated sexual assault. Many college-student victims bring their complaint not to the police, but to campus authorities. It’s highly unlikely college administrators will do better than the criminal justice system at adjudicating these cases. So I remain puzzled why people would attack me for looking for ways to reduce the number of victims. And since I encouraged responsible drinking in my piece, it is simply a mischaracterization for Hess to say I said suggested women “skip out on parties.”

Hess writes that I harm college women by telling them that not getting drunk will decrease their chances of getting raped. She explains that this is because women who are raped suffer psychologically, often blaming themselves. That’s painfully true, and I want the blame squarely on the rapist. But it is a natural, human response after a terrible event to wonder if it could have been avoided. It seems counterproductive to say that in order to try to make victims less burdened by these feelings, we shouldn’t arm women with information about how to avoid being victims in the first place. I made a statement about wanting to warn women that there are rapists who use alcohol, not violence, to commit their crimes. In response, Hess says I’m trying to spread the idea that rape is not a violent crime if alcohol is involved. Let me clarify. I was describing a type of predator—not well enough known by the public and especially by young women—who does not brandish a weapon or twist arms to subdue his victim. She is already subdued by intoxication, and he often is able to simply lead her home where he then commits his assault.

I quoted University of Virginia Law professor Anne Coughlin in the piece about the need to tell young women they should protect themselves. After the article came out, a young woman wrote to Coughlin expressing concerns about this message. Coughlin replied to her in part:

Heavy consumption of alcohol and rape go hand-in-hand. The correlation is staggering, much too significant to ignore. And the women who are raped are hurt—very, very badly—so I have come to believe that I must give that practical advice, when people ask me the question … Over the years, I have had students tell me that feminists were doing them a disservice by not raising these questions. One student told me that she had been taught that we were living in a brave, new world for women, that women could drink as much as they wanted and that the women would be safe, that the law would somehow keep them safe. She and her friends learned, through hard experience, that the law—and new feminist views—could do no such thing, and she wished that she had received a more subtle, nuanced message about how to proceed in a changing culture.
Since the initial backlash against me, there’s been a growing backlash to the backlash. I am starting to hear from people who agree with me. One mother wrote, “My gut was to scream ‘victim blamer,’ then I read the article. I’m putting it aside for my girls when they get older.” Another woman thanked me and said she has to keep quiet about her reaction. She is a rape crisis advocate who’s worked with many intoxicated victims. She wants to warn young women about the perils of getting drunk but doesn’t know how to tell students “such risky behaviors can get them into trouble.” She says, “It shouldn’t be a controversial message, and the fact that it is disturbs me so much.” She acknowledges, “It’s an issue that’s so fraught with defensiveness and fear that it makes me feel like I’m walking on eggshells mentally.”

If this woman were to speak up, she’d be accused of being part of the “rape culture”—one of those elastic terms that’s used as a cudgel to shut people up. But when a woman who is counseling victims of rape feels constrained from giving practical advice to young women about the beneficial effects of keeping their wits about them, we really have a problem in the culture.

The need to close down discourse on difficult subjects was another popular response to my piece. This was best summed up in Jezebel’s rebuttal to my story, which stated: “DON'T write ‘how not to get raped’ columns in the first place.” It’s unfortunate that instead of wanting to engage in discussion of complicated, sensitive topics, a fellow journalist would prefer to dictate that only certain points of view are ideologically acceptable. As I was working on this story, several of my friends counseled me not do it. Talking about things women can do to protect themselves from rape is the third rail, they said. But why be a journalist unless you’re willing to dig into difficult subjects and report your findings? My story churned up a lot of outrage, but I remain hopeful it will start some conversations and prevent at least some sexual assaults.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/10/18/rape_culture_and_binge_drinking_emily_yoffe_responds_to_her_critics.html

That was some of her best writing ever, but it was a broad assault on the victim culture dogma so overboard she goes. She has been replaced on the advice column at Slate by a 28 year old feminist who says that men are unneeded but fine to be around so long as we are polite, which some might recall is what a lot of men said about women back in the 50's and early 60's before feminism made a huge push for equality, and respect. I will be very surprised to see Yoffe at Slate going forwards in any capacity, as she has offended the far left controllers of the site. Her departure will be just one of many mechanics of the collapse of Slate as a journalism outfit. They are now fully a progressive demagoguery site.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 04:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yoffe was speaking at Dartmouth last week:

Quote:
As Professor Murphy predicted, the talk was controversial and emails immediately began to circulate calling for some sort of protest. Prominent among these was a message from Victoria Nevel ’16 that asserted:

We know that:

Dartmouth is tied with Yale for highest Sexual Assault rate in the Ivy League and third highest in the 27 AAU colleges surveyed.

That 48 students reported being raped at Dartmouth in the last academic year, the highest of any Ivy.

Men here are survivors, too.

The email then made the claim that, “Yoffe… blames victims, denies that survivors exists, and implies that men can’t be victims, too.” Ms. Nevel then asked the recipients of the email to, “get involved in our WISE donation booth or silent protest.”

This email and others proved successful, and a conspicuously timed WISE event occurred before and during the lecture. The lecture itself saw both a visible presence of Safety and Security officers and a sizeable contingent of protestors, who lined the back and the sides of the lecture hall. In addition, a number of senior administrators were in attendance, including Vice Provost Ameer and Dean Amanda Childress.

Yoffe’s lecture itself was almost exactly what any reasonable person would have expected. She spoke in the firm yet neutral tone of a journalist and gave a precise yet passionate argument that followed the lines of her controversial article. She used many examples of men accused of sexual assault who have been unjustly prosecuted for sexual assault, found guilty by their colleges or by public opinion, and suffered the consequences despite their definitive lack of guilt.

Yoffe’s examples occasionally touched on Dartmouth. When she was discussing biased administrators, she brought up Dean Amanda Childress’s infamous quotation that asked, “Why can we not expel a student based on an allegation?” When the crowd began to giggle, perhaps due to Dean Childress’s presence at the back of the room, Mrs. Yoffe said, “If Amanda Childress is here, I would very much like to have a dialogue.” Dean Childress, however, did not take Yoffe up on her offer after the lecture.

This was not the only time that her remarks elicited a strong reaction from the audience. While Mrs. Yoffe is a journalist, and her remarks were largely facts and observations drawn thereof, many students and protestors became agitated when her observations clashed with their worldview. At one point, she asserted that there was a generation gap when it came to the definition of sexual assault. She asserted that younger people think one element of an encounter can be consensual, while latter occurrences may not be. She then claimed that her generation saw it differently, and that it “knows” that regret does not equal a lack of consent. At that remark, the protestors raised and wove their signs, mumbling about how, exactly, Mrs. Yoffe was wrong.

Mrs. Yoffe, however, is often objectively right. After discussing her experience researching sexual assault on campuses, she revealed that after reading the infamous Rolling Stone story of a young woman’s alleged sexual assault at the University of Virginia, she immediately knew it was false and went on record saying so. This comment, unlike others, witnessed a stark silence on the part of the protestors.

After her short lecture, Yoffe opened the floor for questions, saying, “I would love to hear from you, young people, in the Q and A.” Unlike many controversial speakers, Yoffe did not shy away from answer questions asked by protestors or taking second questions from those who had previously made challenging remarks. The questions spanned a wide range of topics and a variety of levels of discourse. Some asked intelligent questions regarding Yoffe’s research or her thoughts on current legal initiatives. Others demanded that Yoffe, a journalist, solve sexual assault on College campuses then and there. A stalwart few questioned Yaffe’s statistics. One went as far as getting out of his seat, crossing the stage to the podium, pulling up a webpage on the projector, and Googling the statistic. The results were inconclusive due to the inherent bias in many sites.

Some students implied that Yoffe was on the “wrong side of history,” and that her views were outdated. She responded by pointing out that the striking down of sodomy laws was, “seen as liberal triumph,” while current liberals want to enact affirmative consent laws, which she saw as similarly prudish. She even went as far as saying, “These affirmative consent laws seem to be written by people who have never had sex themselves.”

When students spoke to her as if she was a lawyer or politician who owed them a solution to sexual assault, she pointed out that her job was only to report on the facts and that solutions should be left to experts and educators. Unfortunately, as she pointed out, educators have not proved overly competent at this task. As she put it, “I found it odd that the President’s number one suggestion for ending what he said was an epidemic of sexual assault on campus was a survey.”

She compared the alleged sexual assault rates on college campuses to those of war-torn countries in Africa, where rape is used as a weapon of war. She said that if sexual assault rates on campuses were truly that high, a more appropriate response than a survey would be segregated dormitories, a complete alcohol ban, and mass expulsions.

When asked to comment on the Association of American Universities study on sexual assault that was conducted this past spring term, she stated, “Dartmouth’s purported numbers were fairly high and track generally with the Ivy League.” She paid especial attention to the fact that the most popular reason given by people who chose not to report an incident defined by the survey as a sexual assault was, “I did not think it was serious enough to report.” She pointed out that this indicates many people whom the survey considers victims of sexual assault (and therefore includes in its tallies) do not consider what they experienced to be sexual assault.

While some protestors implied that Mrs. Yoffe gave no thought to the wellbeing of College students, she focused on the many ways in which the miscarriage of justice hurts instead of helps them: “We are teaching a generation of young women that they are malleable, weak, and helpless in the face of [young men].” In response to criticisms of the title of one of her articles, “College Women, Stop Getting Drunk,” she pointed out that she did not write the title and that her goal had been to incite a culture shift regarding binge drinking in the vein of widespread condemnation of drunk driving and smoking. In response to accusations that this constituted “victim blaming,” she quoted Safety and Security Chief Harry Kinne, who had stated that the bulk of burglary at Dartmouth occurs in unlocked rooms and that students should do their best to lock their rooms. She said that encouraging a proactive application of measures such as locking your door or refraining from binge drinking is not victim blaming but common sense. When further pressed, she argued that young men are the victims of a double standard when it comes to alcohol consumption, as the man is often found guilty when consensual intercourse between two intoxicated persons takes place.

The lecture and following question-and-answer session proved informative, though it would have been more educational if students could tell the difference between a journalist and policy-maker. Not all people who come to lecture at Dartmouth have the same profession. As a consequence, they all have different forms of bias and different motivations. Emily Yoffe, as a journalist, is concerned with reporting on the facts of a situation, not advocating a comprehensive solution, reporting on all the world’s ills, or winning a popularity contest. It is not only unfair that students expect guests to exceed their areas of expertise, but it is counter to the experience of other students who wish to take full advantage of the many amazing guests that come to speak at this small college.

http://www.dartreview.com/9664-2/

Sing the truth sister! You will be of course punished for publicly disagreeing with dogma just as those who spoke against the church were punished back when the church was a center of power, such impure thoughts must of course be repressed according to power, but we cant let broad injustice happen on our watch with out at least condemning it. To let the wrong slide would be an act of immorality.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 04:43 pm
Quote:

http://www.chron.com/news/crime/article/Fraternity-files-25M-defamation-suit-against-6620039.php

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — The fraternity that was the focus of a debunked Rolling Stone article about a gang rape filed a $25 million lawsuit against the magazine Monday, saying the piece made the frat and its members "the object of an avalanche of condemnation worldwide."
The complaint, filed in Charlottesville Circuit Court, also names Sabrina Rubin Erdely as a defendant. It is the third filed in response to the November 2014 article entitled "A Rape on Campus: A Brutal Assault and Struggle for Justice at UVA." Three individual fraternity members and recent graduates of the University of Virginia are suing for at least $225,000 each, and a university associate dean who claims she was portrayed as the "chief villain" is suing the magazine for more than $7.5 million.
Rolling Stone spokeswoman Kathryn Brenner said the magazine has no comment on the lawsuit.
The article described in chilling detail a student's account of being raped by seven men at the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house in September 2012. It portrayed university officials as insensitive and unresponsive to the plight of the student, who was identified only as Jackie, and suggested that the attack was emblematic of a culture of sexual violence at the elite public university.
The story horrified university leaders, sparked protests at the school and prompted a new round of national discussions about sexual assault on U.S. campuses.
However, details in the lengthy narrative did not hold up under scrutiny by other media organizations. For example, Phi Kappa Psi did not host any social event at its house on the day of the alleged gang rape as the article claimed. Additional discrepancies led Rolling Stone to commission an examination by the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, which said in a blistering report that Rolling Stone failed at virtually every step, from the reporting by Erdely to an editing process that included high-ranking staffers.
Related Stories

An investigation by Charlottesville police also found no evidence to back up Jackie's claims. Rolling Stone retracted the article, and the magazine's managing editor and Erdely both apologized. The fraternity said the damage was already done.
"These allegations did not concern harmless fraternity pranks," the fraternity said in the lawsuit. "These were allegations of ritualized and criminal gang-rape that Rolling Stone knew were the predicates for annihilation of Phi Kappa Psi and widespread persecution of its members."
The complaint alleges that the magazine set out to find a story of "graphic and violent rape" at an elite university and rejected other possible stories that were not sensational enough.
"Rolling Stone and Erdely had an agenda, and they were recklessly oblivious to the harm they would cause innocent victims in their ruthless pursuit of that agenda," the lawsuit said.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 07:59 am
Sex Abuse Victim as a Liar, Even After ‘Good Man’ Admits to Raping Her

Darren Paden was sentenced to 50 years in prison Friday after pleading guilty in August to two counts of first-degree statutory sodomy.
By Travis Gettys / Raw Story
November 2, 2015

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/missouri-townspeople-shun-sex-abuse-victim-liar-even-after-good-man-admits-raping

Child sex abuse victim says she’s been denied housing after accusing a “good man” of molesting her for years — and Missouri prosecutors are mystified that so many community members are supporting the admitted sex offender.

Darren Paden was sentenced to 50 years in prison Friday after pleading guilty in August to two counts of first-degree statutory sodomy — but friends, family members, church elders and community leaders begged a judge to go easy on him.

Prosecutors said the 52-year-old Paden sexually abused the girl up to 300 times over a decade, beginning before she was 5 years old. His 28-year-old son, Anthony Paden, was also charged with sex abuse, although his case remains pending.

But community members have turned their backs on the girl, who is now 18 years old and testified against her abuser in court, and rallied around Paden.

“There are certainly a few good people in this community who have offered support to this young victim,” said Platte County Prosecuting Attorney Eric Zahnd. “It is shocking, however, that many continue to support a defendant whose guilt was never in doubt. If it takes a village to raise a child, what is a child to do when the village turns its back and supports a confessed child molester?”

Community members simply don’t believe the girl, reported the Kansas City Star.

“Only God, Darren and (the victim) know what truly happened,” said Gene Blankenship, a trustee at the New Market Christian Church in Dearborn. “I feel Darren may have admitted to things he did not do after hours of interrogation and all the pressure to admit guilt.”

Blankenship was among about 16 community members who sent letters to the court since September, praising Paden for his service in the Gulf War and a junior deacon at New Market Christian Church.

“Darren is one of the most admirable people I know,” wrote friend Adele Brightwell. “He holds fast to his morals.”

Others begged the judge for leniency, arguing that Paden had already suffered enough.

“I truly believe that Darren has already suffered extensively for his actions by being kept away from his young children and his home life, and by not being able to provide for this family,” wrote supporter Darla Hall Emmendorfer. “Because of the significant difficulties that will face his innocent family, I would ask you, Judge Van Amburg, to grant Darren a sentence of probation or at least the lowest possible sentence.”

The victim, who said she only came to understand after seeing a presentation in middle school that her relationship with Paden should be considered abuse, said she cut herself and considered suicide in high school and still suffers nightmares.

Paden told police shortly after his arrest that he began watching pornographic videos with the girl in 2001 or 2002 and abused her once or twice a month for the next 10 years, but he refused to plead guilty as he publicly accused the girl of lying.

The victim is hurt that community members still refuse to believe her claims, even after Paden confessed to police, wrote letters of apology to the victim and his own family and — finally, after two years — admitted his guilt in court.

“I called a lady about a house she was renting, and I told her my name, and she said, ‘What’s your name again?’ and I told her and she said, ‘I don’t want to rent to you,’ and then hung up on me,” the victim told the Star.

She spoke directly at Paden’s sentencing to some of those community members who made her feel “unwanted.”

“I was genuinely terrified to go into our new café in town because I was scared someone was going to yell at me or refuse to serve me,” the victim said. “I was even scared they would tamper with my food. I feel so unwelcomed in a town that I have grown up in. I feel like an outsider that just strolled in and everybody is giving their own analysis on, and making up gossip that people believe instead of just coming up and talking to me.”

“Try dealing with that on top of being called a liar every day,” she added.

Paden’s great-aunt said she would “feel sorry for the girl” if she had been abused — but she doesn’t believe the victim’s claims and instead sees the case as a test of the community’s religious faith.

“Our community is one that we deeply believe in God and we’re not going to buckle under anything,” said 82-year-old Dixie Wilson. “We’re not going to let it destroy all of us. We’re going to keep doing our good works and doing what we believe and rely on each other.”
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 06:35 pm
A rape, a non-investigation, and an 18-year wait for justice
By CAIN BURDEAU
Nov. 6, 2015 3:27 PM EST

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/208fecfbcedf483f87722c04136cb308/rape-non-investigation-and-18-year-wait-justice

An Uninvestigated Rape

In this June 4, 2015, photo, Marie, who agreed to be identified only by her middle name, poses for... Read more

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Marie picked up the phone and dialed the number the detective gave her 10 days before, on the night she was raped at knifepoint outside a friend's house in New Orleans. It was the first of many calls Marie would make in an 18-year ordeal of shoddy police work and numbingly slow prosecution to track down and convict her attacker.

"Just checking to see if there are any leads, if you've caught anyone," Marie recalls telling the detective.

"Nothing's turned up yet," he responded. "Why don't you go on with your life?"

"What about testing the DNA? The rape kit?" she asked.

"We can't. There's no money for that," the detective said.

The same rapist went on to attack at least six more women, including a 16-year-old raped three months after Marie.

___

For Marie, the trauma continued long after the assault and was compounded, she said, by the incompetence and callousness of the New Orleans Police Department.

"I felt like I was a problem," the 60-year-old stockbroker said in an interview at her suburban New Orleans home. "They wanted me to just go away."

The Associated Press generally does not identify victims of sexual assault. Marie agreed to be identified only by her middle name.

Largely through her own persistence — dozens of phone calls pushing police and prosecutors over nearly 16 years — did police finally nab the suspect: a serial rapist on the brink of walking free from prison.

Police detectives, supervisors and prosecutors who handled Marie's case declined to comment.

Court and police documents reviewed by AP corroborate much of Marie's story; and her account serves as a window onto the police force's troubled sex crimes squad.

___

On Sept. 19, 1994, Marie had just returned to her hometown of New Orleans for a job interview, having recently earned a master's degree in finance. She drove to a friend's house in a leafy, quiet Uptown neighborhood, parked and headed indoors.

A man walked by, then grabbed her from behind and put a knife to her throat. He pushed her off the sidewalk and into some bushes and told her: "I'll kill you if you scream or look at me." He raped her and fled.

Two patrolmen in a cruiser responded to the 911 call. The rape squad was called in. A detective took Marie, accompanied by her friend, to a hospital, where staff examined her and took DNA evidence.

And that was where the effort to find Marie's attacker essentially stopped.

___

A 2010 U.S. Department of Justice investigation exposed a pattern of misconduct in the NOPD's sex crimes unit, including downgrading rape complaints, failing to investigate rapes and blaming the crime on the victim. The probe also found about 800 rape kits sat untested, part of a nationwide backlog estimated in the hundreds of thousands.

In 2013, the scandal-plagued police department entered into a consent decree with federal authorities to clean up the squad. It sent untested kits off to labs and reopened cases. Detectives were given new training and the department said it was fixing its problems.

Nevertheless, a city inspector general's report a year ago showed five detectives had failed to properly investigate hundreds of rape and child abuse cases between 2010 and 2013.

Howard Schwartz, a former FBI agent and the lead investigator, entered the unit unannounced earlier that year and found a department in disarray, with piles of files improperly processed and logged.

"The records were all over the place," he said.

An internal police department review released in August located much of the missing investigative paperwork the inspector general's office couldn't find, but still the NOPD team found widespread failings. The department again vowed a thorough house-cleaning.

In August, Mayor Mitch Landrieu ordered more changes to the sex crimes unit, including adding two new detectives, a DNA analyst and a supervisor.

___

In the years after her rape, Marie kept calling but always got the same response: Nothing new.

Finally, about a decade after her attack, she got a sympathetic cold case detective to send in her rape kit for testing.

It came back with a hit.

The man who raped her was locked up in Tennessee. His name was Jimmie Spratt.

___

Marie's painful saga wasn't over. Hurricane Katrina interrupted the investigation. Then the prosecutor who had interviewed Marie left the district attorney's office. It took three years for another prosecutor to show interest in her case.

Finally, with Spratt's release from prison in Tennessee approaching in 2010, Marie was invited to the district attorney's office for the first time.

Spratt was brought to New Orleans. He was convicted March 9, 2012, of three counts of aggravated rape and sentenced to life in prison without parole at Angola State Penitentiary, where he remains.

Marie has become an advocate for rape victims. She speaks on their behalf at meetings reviewing the Justice Department consent decree. She wants to make sure rapists don't get away with their crimes.

"What I'd really like to see now," she said, "is some form of accountability that the reforms are actually resulting in more arrests and convictions."
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 06:45 pm
Quote:
But between July 2014 and June 30, the university expelled three students for sexual assault, according to the office’s first annual report published today. The university also suspended two students for violating the university’s sexual misconduct policy.

“In the one year that [Title IX Officer Catherine Carroll] has been here, set up this office, set up this elaborate set of machinery, policies and procedures,” university President Wallace Loh said, “this is the first time I’ve been faced with three expulsions in one year.”
As the federal government sought to address sexual assault on college campuses nationwide, the university created its Office of Civil Rights & Sexual Misconduct. Carroll assumed her position as the university’s first Title IX compliance director in March 2014.
From July 2014 through June 30, the office fully investigated 13 of 48 complaints, including seven cases of Sexual Assault I (rape), three stalking and sexual harassment cases, two sexual harassment cases and one relationship violence case

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/news/university-of-maryland-expels-record-number-of-students-for-sexual/article_944bab50-8747-11e5-866f-ab4d62e2c4dd.html

So out of 48 complaints, only 5 warranted any action. Only 13 were worth even finishing the investigation, and this is after tons of money and attention and the marching orders " go get those asshole men!" was given.

I am actually surprised that the number of valid complaints was that high. That the number of women who thought they were wronged but weren't plus the number of women lying about men doing wrong plus the number where the guy had as much credibility as the girl and denies there was a crime was the vast majority of complaints is expected.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 07:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
JSYK that works out to .033% of the men or less (some of the abusers could have been female) over one year were found to need to have action taken against them for sexual conduct. And the Administration is saying that this is an abnormally high number because they have been looking so hard to find cases to prosecute.

MEN SUCK! Drunk
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 07:06 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Religious hypocrites. Absolutely disgusting.

(I'm a Christian, by the way.)
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 07:08 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Law and order, eh? Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 07:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Take a look at the link and take notice of how the powers that be are reporting the outcome of complaints in such a way as to purposefully hide that the majority of reports had no merit. I however have a sinking feeling that the majority of my peers are not smart enough to catch the deception.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 08:10 pm
@wmwcjr,
So am I.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 08:47 pm
I re-opened this thread, but have to leave it again. Bye.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 08:54 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I re-opened this thread, but have to leave it again. Bye.

To many facts are conflicting with your opinions I assume.

Can't be helped, you are the one who has to change, because the universe is not going to do your bidding.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 06:22 am
Quote:
And now I’m done. This is a bittersweet day, but I know it’s the right time. When you get a letter about a boyfriend who has committed bestiality with farm animals and you think, “Oh, at least this one isn’t about house pets,” you’ve probably been Prudie long enough.

There are so many people for me to thank. I have had the pleasure of working for every editor of Slate, starting with the founding editor, Michael Kinsley. He’s only responsible for my entire career—thank you, Mike. Then Jacob Weisberg (now chairman of The Slate Group) and David Plotz conceived of the Human Guinea Pig series, which occupied me in humiliating endeavors for almost a decade. Next they chose me to be Prudence. Julia Turner, the present editor in chief, and John Swansburg, deputy editor, have for the past year supported me as I reported on college sexual assault. This is a highly contentious issue and Julia and John never wavered in their belief that it was worth covering. They made every piece better and John is one of the finest editors, conceptually and line by line, I have ever worked with

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2015/11/dear_prudence_emily_yoffe_says_goodbye.2.html

Ya, she got pushed out for her violation of PC rules while writing about the feminists university rape epidemic hoax. Very skilled writing around the truth though, gotta appreciate how good a writer Yoffe is.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 06:35 am
What if bears only killed one on five people.

http://www.upworthy.com/the-bear-in-this-video-is-a-brilliant-metaphor-for-rape-and-its-hilariously-done?c=click

November 09, 2015

And it's some of our favorite dude-ly comedians driving it home.
Angie Aker By Angie Aker
Fact Checked
FACTS!

…They’re a thing. We love them. We also know they’re hard to come by on the Internet. That’s why we have a team of fact-checkers double-checking everything we post, with standards that meet or exceed anyone else on the web. So go ahead and share your favorite thing from Upworthy with the full confidence that it’s on the level — and that you’ll look really smart doing it. Not that you need any help with that, of course.

If we discover that something less-than-facty slipped through the cracks, we’ll always be up front with you. Check our corrections page for more information.

Ignore a huge crisis, and maybe it will go away?

So there's a big, stinking problem, and no one quite knows what to do about it, so everyone just kind of pretends it isn't happening.

This magical button delivers Upworthy stories to you on Facebook:
Remember just a couple of months ago how fraternities brazenly taunted parents of incoming freshman girls with signs encouraging them to drop off their daughters for "daycare" and to bring along some Plan B pills?

"We're the driving force of college rape culture and we should be banned from campus" #ODU #RapeCulture pic.twitter.com/fob5fBXMkL
— Heather p. (@nerdbaitplus3) August 22, 2015

Campus rape is a huge problem. But a lot of schools are opting to do very little about it.

This highly entertaining (in spite of the topic) spoof of five dudes in a basement skewers the ridiculousness of inaction when it comes to rape culture.
The bear is only going to kill one of them. So how is that even a problem?

"It's fine, it's fine. The majority is fine! I don't want to deal with this problem!"
Look, the video makes a pretty clear point.

I'm not going to belabor it. We have to do our part to watch out for each other at parties (and at all times, really), to call bullsh*t on rape jokes and predatory behavior whenever we see it, and to commit to raising or influencing kids in our lives to know how important consent is.

But we also need to hold schools that try to sweep their campus rape problems under the rug accountable.
Here is a list of schools under federal investigation for alleged mishandling of reported rapes.

The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights has begun listing open investigations of higher-education institutions with possible Title IX violations in their handling of sexual assault. I know that when my kids are considering college, any on this list (which was updated July 22, 2015*) will be immediately disqualified in our eyes.

Allegheny College
American University
Amherst College
Arizona State University
Barnard College
Berklee College of Music
Bethany College
Boston University
Brown University
Butte-Glenn Community College District
California Institute of the Arts
Canisius College
Carnegie Mellon University
Catholic University of America
Cisco Junior College
College of William and Mary
Colorado State University
Columbia University
Cornell University
CUNY Hunter College
Dartmouth College
Davis and Elkins College
Denison University
Drake University
Elizabethtown College
Elmira College
Emerson College
Emory University
Florida State University
Franklin and Marshall College
Frostburg State University
Full Sail University
Grand Valley State University
Guilford College
Hamilton College
Hampshire College
Harvard College
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Idaho State University
Indiana University-Bloomington
Iowa State University
James Madison University
Johns Hopkins University
Kansas State University
Knox College
Langston University
Marion Military Institute
Marlboro College
Michigan State University
Minot State University
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Morgan State University
New York University School of Medicine
Northeastern University
Occidental College
Oglethorpe University
Oklahoma State University
Pace University-New York
Pennsylvania State University
Pointe Park University
Polytechnic Institute of New York University
Regis University
Saint John's University
Saint Mary's College of Maryland
Saint Thomas Aquinas College
San Francisco State University
San Jose-Evergreen Community College District
Sarah Lawrence College
Stanford University
SUNY Buffalo State College
SUNY College at Brockport
SUNY Purchase College
SUNY Stony Brook University
SUNY University at Albany
Swarthmore College
Temple University
Texas A&M University
University of Akron
University of Alaska System of Higher Education
University of California-Berkeley
University of California-Davis
University of California-Los Angeles
University of California-San Francisco
University of California-Santa Cruz
University of Chicago
University of Colorado-Boulder
University of Colorado-Denver
University of Connecticut
University of Delaware
University of Denver
University of Hawaii-Manoa
University of Idaho
University of Iowa
University of Kansas
University of Kentucky
University of Massachusetts-Amherst
University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
University of Richmond
University of Rochester
University of South Florida
University of Southern California
University of Texas-Pan American
University of Tennessee
University of Tennessee-Chattanooga
University of Virginia
University of Washington-Seattle
University of Wisconsin-Madison
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
Valley Forge Military College
Valparaiso University
Vanderbilt University
Vincennes University
Virginia Commonwealth University
Washburn University
Washington and Lee University
Washington State University
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
Western Washington University
Westminster College
Whitman College
Wittenberg University

*The list changes as cases resolve and develop, of course, so check up and keep these schools accountable!

We all know someone who goes to these schools or is considering going to some of these schools, right? Maybe let's do them a solid and at least let them know about the bear.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 06:40 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Over here it's a cup of tea. This is very good.

BillRM

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 07:36 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
What if bears only killed one on five people.

LOL that one in five number now down from past claims of one in four college women are rape victims on campus have about the same connection to reality as that one in five people are being killed by bears.

Playing games with survey questions such as had you ever feel pressure to have sex while not being in the mood then you are a rape victim or have someone try to kiss you that you did not wish to be kiss by, then you are a sexual assault victim and we then will used sexual assault as meaning the same as rape.

It is also worth noting that the majority of women who are listed as either rape or sexual assault victims on such junk surveys when told that they had been so label due to their replies to the survey questions did not agree that they should be consider victims of either crime.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 08:00 am
@izzythepush,
Very good stuff, but too subtle for Hawkshite and TonyRM. Specially the parts about consent and unconscious partners.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 05:39 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You forgot the University of Notre Dame.
0 Replies