Hey, Can A Woman "Ask To Get Raped"?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 04:42 am
@OCCOM BILL,
From everything that I 've seen of Robert:
he has never been a hypocrit (to me, he seems dispassionate n fair),
and the forum is pretty good the way that it already is.

(Admittedly, I 've read very little of this thread.)

David
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 05:01 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
There is nothing circular about my logic here, Robert. He who throws the first punch in a fight is guilty of battery. He who responds in kind is not.

When asked to define what constitutes a punch, saying that it is constituted by having thrown it first is breathtaking daftitude. When asked to define the punch, it is circular logic to say, in effect, that "punching is punching first".

Quote:
When the demented duo (or anyone else) show up to ridicule a rape victim, make no mistake; that can hurt as much as a punch.

Stop trying to don the mantle of rape victims to justify being a boor. Invoking victims to gallop around like an ass is insulting.

Quote:
Using the "Innocent" metric;

Hold on one second here. You think there's a "metric"? Not just ramblings of a wannabe white knight? But some actual "metric"? Why don't you share what it is then. Codify it as a rule that moderators can read and apply. I just hope it doesn't involve a rape kit. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Yet you run your mouth as if you know that my behavior is worse, despite the FACT you are speaking completely from ignorance.

Huh? I "run my mouth" about how you are a much bigger troll than hawkeye is, because you are. You are incapable of engaging in sustained disagreement without devolving into sophomoric insults. You are ridiculously over-the-top emotionally and will start calling people rapists and child abusers like a lunatic.

Quote:
Dude, not only are you catering to trolls, you're now advocating for them and pretending you know my behavior is worse, even as you admit you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

No, I am advocating that this site be run by something more logical than Bill's emotional instability and his lynch attempts. If you think they should be banned, stop whining about banning them specifically and propose rules.

For example, you like to play wannabe white knight and invoke rape victims, try to advocate your policy then. Most members will see right through the stupidity of it, and refuse to ban people on the basis of the content of their opinions, no matter how despicable said opinions may be.

You may not get how an open marketplace of ideas works, but most people here do (it's not that tough of a concept) and will not accept your emotional crusade.

Quote:
How telling is it that you adamantly refused to admit he created puppets in the first place, and take great care not to impugn him with his obvious deed; but hesitate not at all to impugn me with your accusations. I have just one account here Robert. One.

Cut the act, I don't care how adamantly you can protest (that is all you ever do, just up the rhetoric, and I am not convinced by rhetoric). My point was that in my position I only have evidence that points at you both being possible creators and your adamant word. It was not an accusation but an explanation that from the evidence available to me it seems just as likely that you created the accounts as it is that he did. Feel free to go posture about how it wasn't you again, as I said I don't really care. I am not in a position to know right now and am not going to obsess about it.

Quote:
Only you could know who started the sock war, but your unfounded accusations against me lead me to believe you're just speculating.

I made no accusation against you. I said the evidence leads me to deduce it is just as likely that you created some of those accounts as it is that BillRM did. However Brooke's accounts were obvious, she made many many more and in the process left clues that make it obvious that it was her.

Quote:
Regardless, the sock puppets on this thread were all created for the same reason; BillRM is a disgusting troll.

See? You don't care about any result other than attacking your lynch list. The behavior doesn't matter, you just want them gone. And like I keep saying, if you ever get more sophisticated than trying incessantly to have forum lynchings you'd do better at having serious people pay attention to your cause.

Quote:
Apparently, some were created in an attempt to moderate his trolling and he created some to further it. Your choice to cater to, and now advocate for, disgusting trolls is the reason for all of them.

See? She's justified in goading, gaming the system and all because it's my fault! You are one intricately delusional fellow! It must be very pleasant to be able to do that.

Quote:
While my vote-count certainly appears to have benefited from these puppets; that's no excuse for you to accuse me of anything, which you are doing with zero evidence because there couldn't possibly be evidence for something I haven't done.

You protest too much. What did I "accuse" you of again? Mainly just being a loudmouth who can't stop obsessing with being a white knight to uninterested damsels. If you are on about the sockpuppets thing I accused you of nothing but being someone of equal suspicion as BillRM to me. If you want to go on about this you'll have to do it alone, I am wholly disinterested.

Quote:
Laughing I seriously doubt a significant percentage, let alone an overwhelming majority, of the community would oppose sanctions for the deliberate targeting of innocents.

Isn't that cute how you don the mantle of "innocents" you white knight you. Nah, the community will see right through that kind of self-serving rhetoric and realize you are proposing something simple and something daft:

You are proposing that we ban people on the basis of their opinions. Basically, you are saying that BillRM and Hawkeye "support rape" (they don't really, they are just afflicted with a bit of troglodytism) and in your typically hyperventilating, hyperbolic way you construe your obsession as a noble and just cause for "innocents".

I dare you to try, if only to have you make a complete nuisance out of yourself to others instead of me. Try to convince the community that we should ban people just for having disgusting opinons. See if they fall for your appeals to pity and other emotion over logic fallacies you come up with. This isn't a community of retards, and these are concepts that have long been discussed in philosophy and politics. Go ahead and try to convince the community. I'm sure they'll fail to convince you of anything, and you'll probably just blindly obsess on anyway but at least you should give the community a chance to tell you what you refuse to hear from me: they aren't interested in Sheriff Occom Bill's laws.

Quote:
While your attacks on me may be somewhat popular, rest assured, the demented duo are indeed almost universally despised for re-victimizing victims of rape.

They are very unpopular, much more than you. But you are complained about more than them for all sorts of reasons ranging from "creepy" to the same kinds of "save the victims" demands that you make. Others claim you are an abuser trying to sidle up to victims here and try to invoke victims too to complain about YOU. And quite frankly this is all none of the site's business. It's just pathetic inability to act like adults and you guys should learn to deal with it on your own. It is not the site's job to protect you from opinons that offend you.

Quote:
Only an asshole would think that was cool. And, you are the only person I've seen stand in defense of it.

You are a jerk for making my refusal to accept your demands "defense" of it (with "it" being your hyperbolic "rape support" of course). What I reject is your inability to use reason to construct a fair policy. You simply keep obsessing about the "demented duo" and how obvious it should be that such folk be kicked out. With your self-important emailed demands telling me it's "not cool" that we haven't acted on them you've long made a complete nuisance of yourself to me, so why don't you try to convince others? Or move on to some community that finds you terribly useful as a white knight?

Quote:
For all your ranting about my attacks on the demented duo, you are a hypocrite. I do instinctually react to what I consider abusive behavior in kind. So do you. You’ve been doing it for several posts now.

Troll lover

I knew you'd devolve to something like this kind of repetition. If you ever get around to formulating a coherent policy you'd like to suggest feel free to share it with the community. But just ratcheting up the hyperbole and rhetoric and invoking victims is no argument, it's just pathetic posturing.

You don't own any inside track on victims rights, and overeager people like you obsessed with being their white knights always seem to clumsily (and invariably loudly it seems) latch onto victims and try to don their mantle while being an emotional vulture, hijacking their victimhood to justify being a loudmouthed buffoon for an obsensibly righteous cause.

No, this isn't about victims, this is about Occom Bill and his inability to regulate his emotions and act like an adult. The victims you purport to speak for show better ability to ignore them and move on than you do. This isn't about the victims, it's all about you. And I for one am sick of it after months, you lack social grace to know when to stop. So I am asking you yet again to leave ME alone about this from now on. I didn't need yet another of you self-important, nagging emails telling me it wasn't "cool" that I had yet to acquiesce to your ridiculous demands (I hadn't even read them at the time you sent that snotty follow-up). If you want this community to live by Occom Bill's content laws then propose them to the community (do you not get that this is not your playground and that there are others here?). I don't have time for your self-important obsessions. I've given them tens of hours of time that I would have been better served working on real issues instead of spending it on a jackass heckler who doesn't know when to quit.
snood

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 06:05 am
Robert Gentel:

Quote:
You need to pop that inflatable high horse you never get off of

Oh. Ouch. Let me just say…apt.

Robert Gentel:

Quote:
You simply delude yourself into thinking your behavior is righteous and thereby justified

Oh, man – again, well put.

Robert Gentel:

Quote:
Instead of being like a rabid dog about trying to get your "****" list banned, why don't you propose some rules to the community and see if they like your policy changes?

Eminently reasonable, I think. Especially if the alternative is continuation of incessant attempts at bludgeoning people into certain actions, or points of view.

(Just for the record, I happen to think the two members whose opinions about rape are in question are taking a very wacky stance in regards to the crime of rape.)

Robert Gentel:

Quote:
You think there's a "metric"? Not just ramblings of a wannabe white knight? But some actual "metric"? Why don't you share what it is then. Codify it as a rule that moderators can read and apply. I just hope it doesn't involve a rape kit.

Again, eminently reasonable. Especially since it has been stated unequivocably that the desired banning ain’t gonna happen this way.

Robert Gentel:

Quote:
a loudmouth who can't stop obsessing with being a white knight to uninterested damsels

Ouch. It won’t be heard, but it rings true to me.

Robert Gentel:
Quote:
they aren't interested in Sheriff Occom Bill's laws.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 06:07 am
even though i've made a peace of some sorts with OB, gotta say RG makes some good points
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 08:22 am
Getting back the to subject of rape and in this case consent after drinking here is an article on how the UK is facing the issue.

Please take note of the following quote from Judge Igor as you might find it just about what I had been saying for many posts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In this context, provisions intended to protect women from sexual assaults might very well be conflated into a system which would provide patronising interference with the right of autonomous adults to make personal decisions for themselves."

---------------------------------------------------------

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/mar/27/law.ukcrime

Judge says new law on rape and alcohol is unnecessary· Ministers reconsider after 'drunken consent' ruling
· Setting consumption level is said to be unrealistic
(1)
Clare Dyer, legal editor The Guardian, Tuesday 27 March 2007 Article historyMinisters are reconsidering proposals to clarify the law on consent and alcohol in rape cases after an appeal court judgment yesterday which said the change was unnecessary.
Proposals to create a new statutory definition of capacity to consent had been put on hold after opposition from circuit judges. Before deciding whether to go ahead, ministers were awaiting yesterday's judgment in which the appeal court addressed for the first time how the existing law operates in the growing number of cases where women allege they were raped after binge drinking.

Yesterday, Sir Igor Judge, president of the Queen's bench division of the high court, said the court's view was that the Sexual Offences Act 2003 "sufficiently addresses the issue of consent in the context of voluntary consumption of alcohol by the complainant".

He said problems did not arise from the legal principles, but "lie with infinite circumstances of human behaviour, usually taking place in private without independent evidence, and the consequent difficulties of proving this very serious offence."

Sir Igor and two other senior judges issued the guidance while giving their reasons for quashing the conviction of a 25-year-old computer software engineer, Benjamin Bree, for raping a 19-year-old student after a night of binge drinking with friends from Bournemouth University.

Ruling on the issue of consent in such cases, Sir Igor said: "If, through drink - or for any other reason - the complainant has temporarily lost her capacity to choose whether to have intercourse on the relevant occasion, she is not consenting, and subject to questions about the defendant's state of mind, if the intercourse takes place, this would be rape.

"However, where the complainant has voluntarily consumed even substantial quantities of alcohol, but nevertheless remains capable of choosing whether or not to have intercourse, and in drink agrees to do so, this would not be rape."

"We should perhaps underline that, as a matter of practical reality, capacity to consent may evaporate well before a complainant becomes unconscious."

Sir Igor said such considerations "underline the fact that it would be unrealistic to endeavour to create some kind of grid system which would enable the answer to these questions to be related to some prescribed level of alcohol consumption".

He added: "Experience shows that different individuals have a greater or lesser capacity to cope with alcohol than others and indeed the ability of a single individual to do so may vary from day to day.""The practical reality is that there are some areas of human behaviour which are inapt for detailed legislative structures."

"In this context, provisions intended to protect women from sexual assaults might very well be conflated into a system which would provide patronising interference with the right of autonomous adults to make personal decisions for themselves."

The government brought forward the proposals for a change in the law after a student, Ruairi Dougal, who had sex with a drunken fellow student, was cleared of rape charges on the basis that "drunken consent is still consent".

Sir Igor said that the outcry after the case was based on a misunderstanding. "All that was being said was that when someone who has had a lot to drink is in fact consenting to intercourse, then that is what she is doing, consenting. Equally, if after taking drink, she is not consenting, then by definition intercourse is taking place without her consent."
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 08:41 am
Now we have a new form of “rape” coming on the radar screen of society that going to made dating and courtship very interesting and way beyond the alcohol and drug question IE RAPE BY DECEPTION.

The theory seem to be is that if the woman is going to bed with you are in part basing her consent on some untruth you had told her or had withhold from her you had rape her.

If you lied to her about your income, or your still being married, and in the case that I had posted about before what your religious believes are you could be lock up for rape.

In fact, if you withhold or lied about any fact that the women can claim after the fact she would not had have sex with you had she but known your ass is grass.

Robert Heinlein had written about a time period he call the crazy years and it look like they are here or will shortly be here.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:49 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth, I told you that responding to BillRM with statistical information that contradicts his assertions of a 40% rate of false rape allegations was pointless. After responding to him for 200+ pages in this thread, I know, all too well, that he just disregards the information. But, to humor you, I reposted information that indicates that the false reporting rate for rapes seems to be about 8--10%.

I posted this in my reply to you.
http://able2know.org/reply/post-4391384

Quote:
In her book, Brownmiller said that only 2 percent of rape allegations are false, citing findings by the female police in a New York City rape squad. The problem is that while this statistic has been widely repeated, with dutiful mentions of New York-based "research," no one has ever tracked down its source. This we learned from a comprehensive review of the literature on false rape charges published in the Cambridge Law Journal in 2006. The author, Philip Rumney, finds a couple of small studies that back up the 2 percent claim but isn't confident of their methodology.

Rumney's survey of the terrain is the best we found. He also takes aim at the findings on the other end of the spectrum—the research that purports to show that the rate of false allegations of rape is in the range of 40 percent, as well as the flawed (but often cited) work that makes a crazy high jump to as high as 90 percent. The 40 percent figure is usually attributed to a 1994 article by E.J. Kanin in the Archives of Sexual Behavior. Kanin looked at 109 reports of rape to police in one small Midwestern metropolitan area over nine years. His pool was small. The police he studied always offered the victim a polygraph—perhaps signaling they doubted her veracity. And Kanin himself "warns against generalizing from his findings" and points to reasons for questioning them, as Rumney explains.

The hugely high 90 percent false rate is several degrees more suspect. The citation for it is usually a study in Scotland by police surgeon N.M. MacLean of only 34 rape complaints made from 1969-74. Complaints were labeled false if they were made after a delay. Or if the victim didn't look "disheveled" or upset or seriously injured. But those factors don't necessarily indicate that a rape charge is trumped up. When police use stereotypes about rape to sort real allegations from false ones, they can do victims a real disservice, as this model paper from the Oregon Attorney General's Sexual Assault Task Force explains. In a 1981 study of 16 reports that claimed the victim admitted to making it up in 14 of them, one case was disproved because the police decided the woman was too large for the alleged rapist to have taken off her "extremely tight undergarments" against her will. Need we say that this not the critical eye we want from the cops?

Rumney's smart debunkings leave us with a group of American, British, Canadian, and New Zealand studies that converge around a rate of 8 percent to 10 percent for false reports of rape. Not all of these studies are flawless, but together they're better than the rest of the lot. They include a massive 1997 report on sexual assault by the U.S. Department of Justice, which includes data from 16,000 local, county, and state law enforcement agencies. The DoJ found that "in 1995, 87% of recorded forcible rapes were completed crimes and the remainder were classified as attempts. Law enforcement agencies indicated that about 8% of forcible rapes reported to them were determined to be unfounded and were excluded from the count of crimes."

If 8 percent to 10 percent is about right for false reporting of rape, based on what we know so far, how should we think about that number? Rumney says he's not sure whether crying wolf is more or less likely over rape than over other crimes, because the comparative research is even less conclusive. So that's a question that appears to have no answer at the moment. (A 2001 Department of Justice report says that the rate of false reports is similar for other crimes, but it also gives the 2 percent figure without a source, so we're skeptical.)
http://www.slate.com/id/2231012

From the above, which makes reference to a comprehensive review of the literature on false rape charges published in the Cambridge Law Journal in 2006 by Philip Rumney, the conclusion drawn, which I reiterated, is that the best current estimates place the rape false allegation rate at about 8--10%. This is not anecdotal evidence, it is based on a scholarly review of the literature by someone with impressive credentials to evaluate the data. Rumney, who is on the faculty of Bristol Law School, has particular interest in the area of rape, and he has published extensively on the topic.
http://law.uwe.ac.uk/staff-directory/dol-staff/phil-rumney.aspx

Did BillRM even bother to read the above information? Judging from his response to my post, it seems unlikely.

BillRM said...
Quote:
Wrong and so wrong you are more then likely once more being very dishonest indeed.

The details of the studies cover in one case a thousand people and the other over a ten year period show a 25 percents to a 50 percent false rape rate for non-strangers rape.

BillRM is still clinging to only 2 studies which happen to be supporting his contention of a high rate of false reports, and disregarding a much more comprehensive review of the literature by a respected scholar in the field which indicates a false report rate of 8--10%.

Not only does BillRM disregard findings he just doesn't like, he gratuitously throws in personal insults directed at me.
Quote:
you are more then likely once more being very dishonest indeed.
I'm being dishonest? How am I being dishonest?

Repeatedly, throughout this thread, BillRM has accused me of lying when all I have done is post statistics from sources, including major U.S. governmental crime-related agencies, which are widely accepted as the most reliable information available. Because he doesn't like what I'm posting, or agree with it, does not translate into my being a liar. Why is my character being called into question? Why the gratuitous insults? Earlier in this thread he kept calling me a man-hating lesbian, for no apparent reason other than the fact I support the current existing rape laws. I'm neither a man-hater nor a lesbian, but that is somewhat beside the point, because BillRM's intention was simply to insult.

Occum Bill has a lot more reason to say that Hawkeye promotes rape (since Hawkeye wants most rape laws abolished, to de-criminalize the act of rape, and he has variously claimed that woman enjoy being raped, that "conquest" is the best part of sex, and that consent is questionable because men often know better than the woman what she "really wants"), than BillRM has reason to call me dishonest or a liar. Yet Occum Bill is getting flack for saying things that at least have some logical connection to statements Hawkeye actually makes, while BillRM's gratuitous insults and demeaning comments throughout this thread, toward most of the females posting in this thread, seem somehow more acceptable, when that really should not be the case.

For me, it is pointless to continue to respond to BillRM. He just keeps repeating the same things over and over, for the past 200+ pages, regardless of any information that other posters offer, and his responses often contain personally insulting comments. I've had enough. I will try to continue to ignore him.

firefly

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:27 am
Quote:

October 1, 2010
Redefining masculinity is key to stopping rape
by Katrina Fox

Women can't stop rape. We've been trying for decades.

From the early days of the women's movement in the late 1960s and 1970s, feminists have launched anti-rape campaigns. But, while rape crisis centres continue to promote the message that rape is not a women's issue - rather it's a social problem that can only be rectified by a change in the male mentality into one that acknowledges men's power to stop rape - few people seem to be listening.

In Australia, we've seen evidence of male sexual violence inherent in Rugby League and several elite boys colleges, while in Canada, photos of the gang rape of a teenage girl were posted to Facebook.

According to the NSW Rape Crisis Centre, one in five women in Australia will experience sexual assault at some time in their life. Seventy per cent of sexual assaults are committed by someone the victim knows, such as a family member, friend or workmate. Of the remaining 30 per cent of sexual assaults most are committed by a person the victim meets socially or goes out on a date with. For one in 10 adult women who are sexually assaulted the perpetrator will be their current or past intimate partner.

Why these men believe it's ok to rape or sexually assault a woman or girl is bound up in conceptions of gender normativity and the imbalance of power between men and women that flows from such assumptions: Masculinity is associated with dominance and virility while femininity is deemed passive. Men's sexual prowess is regarded as something 'natural', while women's sexuality must be controlled.

One of the negative outcomes of the current obsession with 'raunch culture' is the slut-shaming of women and girls who dare to be sexual - sometimes with many different partners; who dare to explore their sexuality and desires - sometimes in public.

A recent example is the ThinkUKnow campaign created by the UK Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) Centre and developed by the Australian Federal Police and Microsoft Australia. While its motives may be honourable - protecting young people from unwanted images of themselves being distributed without their consent - the delivery is not. A short video, 'Megans Story' shows a teenage girl walking into class happy and confident after 'sexting' her boyfriend. Her confidence turns to shame and humiliation as the sext is forwarded to her classmates and teacher, and she runs out of the room in tears. The message is clear: If a boy behaves inappropriately (by forwarding a private sext of his girlfriend), the girl is to blame, not him.

This is a spin-off of the victim-blaming mentality that says a woman was 'asking' to be raped because of what she was wearing, or because she left a party with a group of men.

When are we going to see a prolific national campaign to educate boys and men that it's their responsibility for not raping or sexually assaulting girls or women? When is it going to become a mandatory part of the school curriculum to teach boys from a young age that it's not ok grab a girl's breasts or genitals unless she explicitly gives permission? When are we as a society going to redefine what 'makes a man' and reject the hyper-masculine qualities that see women violated sexually as an activity that bonds 'real' men together?

Let's be clear: The rape of women by men is not about men's uncontrolled lust - it's about power and domination that stems from fear and hatred of the female and the feminine.

On 29 October national Reclaim the Night rallies will be held across Australia and other parts of the world in which women march through the streets to protest against men's sexual violence. These events first took place internationally in 1976 and the fact they still need to happen today is a sad indictment of men's refusal to acknowledge and use their power to stop rape.

Some men have made an effort in this area, such as Men Can Stop Rape, an international organisation that aims to redefine masculinity by mobilising men to use their strength for creating cultures free from violence, especially men's violence against women, but they are few and far between.

By and large, preventing rape is still put on women's shoulders. Well-meaning college campuses distribute advice to female students on how to avoid being sexually assaulted: don't get drunk or stoned, don't leave a party with a group of guys or alone, carry a whistle. The problem is, it's all about controlling women's behaviours, not those of men.

A Facebook friend recently circulated a document that turns the tables and offers "100 per cent foolproof tips to prevent rape/sexual assault". It includes helpful suggestions to potential rapists such as: "Use the buddy system: if you are not able to stop yourself assaulting someone, ask a friend to stay with you when you are in public" or "When you see someone walking by themselves, leave them alone!"

Facetious as some of the advice may be, it's a stark reminder that there is only one way to stop rape: Don't do it.

Katrina Fox is a freelance writer and editor-in-chief of The Scavenger.
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/39246.html#

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:54 am
@firefly,
Excellent article and I agree with it wholeheartedly!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:23 am
For all those professing to be standing up for the right of folks to be able to have a discussion topic without it being continually disrupted by trolls, off-topic posts and demands for abusers to be banned, how does 50 pages worth of such disruption fit into the grand scheme of things?

Continuing this back and forth about forum decorum and banning policies past one more post in this topic should in itself be grounds for warnings to be issued.
snood

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:27 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

For all those professing to be standing up for the right of folks to be able to have a discussion topic without it being continually disrupted by trolls, off-topic posts and demands for abusers to be banned, how does 50 pages worth of such disruption fit into the grand scheme of things?

Hear hear
firefly

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:27 am
@Butrflynet,
It doesn't fit in, Butrflynet, and that's why we're trying to get this thread back on topic.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:42 am
This woman's rape serves as a reminder to women to be aware of their surroundings even in places that seem "safe". Her courage in dealing with her ordeal, including the lengthy legal process, and her advocacy for other rape victims, and for legislative changes, is impressive.
Quote:

Once a victim of Miami-Dade’s 'Day Care Rapist,’ Jupiter woman finds purpose as national voice for sexual assault victims
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Oct. 24, 2010

The first thing Julie Weil's attacker asked her was whether she believed in God.

He was driving her minivan from the church parking lot near Miami where he'd ambushed her and her two children, hitting her over the head with the handle of a butcher knife before he shoved them all into the van.

"I answered, 'Yes, I do believe in God,'" Weil said. "He said 'Good, then you'll forgive me for what I'm about to do to you.'"

For the next several hours on that day - eight years ago this month - the stranger she would later know as Michael Siebert brutally beat and raped Weil four times and forced her screaming 3-year-old daughter and 8-month-old son to watch.

Weil, who now lives in Jupiter, still vividly remembers the horror on her daughter's face. It was the image she saw in her mind when she testified before a U.S. Senate committee last month, urging lawmakers to improve the way the legal system deals with rape.

The 39-year-old mother's journey from victim to survivor has placed her in the national spotlight as an emerging advocate for thousands of women like her.

It's not a mission Weil would have imagined for herself that night in October 2002, as she lay naked, bruised and bleeding on the floor of her van, back at the church parking lot where Siebert left her.

Earlier, he had found her address on her driver's license and driven her by the house she shared with her husband and kids. He threatened to come back and kill them all if she went to the police.

"I felt like my life was over, like he just entirely completely ruined my life, my children's lives, my husband's life," she said. "I didn't see any way that we would ever get out of this."

For six months as Miami-Dade police searched for her attacker, Weil lived as a prisoner in her own home. But they eventually caught Siebert, and Weil through therapy and her family's support was able to work with prosecutors over the next four years to make sure his case went to trial.

Siebert, known as the "Day Care Rapist," received seven life terms in prison plus 15 years for Weil's attack. Weil and her husband moved from the South Miami neighborhood where she'd grown up and settled in Jupiter, hoping to put the attack behind them.

But a year after the trial, just before Christmas 2007, Weil heard about the murders of 47-year-old Nancy Bochicchio and her 7-year-old daughter Joey outside the Town Center at Boca Raton.

Watching news reports of the murders brought back memories of what had happened to her. Because she had survived, she said, she felt a need to help other mothers stay safe.

She established the website keepingmomssafe.com and used the forum to provide safety tips to mothers based on what she had learned from her own case.

One lesson: Pay attention to your surroundings.

Before Siebert abducted her, she said, she was distracted and talking on the phone just before she buckled her son into his car seat. Other mothers have been abducted while changing a baby's diaper from the trunks of their cars.

Weil said she also began to realize that her case was a success story compared with those of other rape victims.

Authorities in her case vigorously pursued her attacker and eventually caught him. Her story twice appeared on America's Most Wanted, including video of Siebert as detectives arrested him.

In the hours after Weil reported the rape, detectives took her to the Roxcy Bolton Rape Treatment Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital, where she received a rape exam by medical staff specially trained to deal with sexual assault victims.

But in many other counties, including Palm Beach County, Weil discovered, there are no medical treatment centers similarly devoted specifically to rape cases.

Worse still, Weil says, in many other places law enforcement officers either fail to believe the victims or are otherwise insensitive.

In one Pennsylvania case, police accused a victim of lying and threw her in jail while her rapist continued to attack other women. That victim, Sara Reedy, testified with Weil last month at a U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on what lawmakers called "the chronic failure to report and investigate rape cases."

Both women urged the committee to improve the system for rape victims. Among other measures, Weil supports the SAFER Act of 2010, which would create a national registry to track untested forensic evidence from rape cases.

Weil now works with the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, or RAINN, as a member of the group's national speakers' bureau to raise awareness of the plight of victims as they deal with the legal system and society as a whole.

According to RAINN, when factoring in unreported rapes, only 6 percent of rapists will ever spend a day in jail.

RAINN spokeswoman Elizabeth Crothers says Weil is one of 700 speakers for the organization, but Weil stands out in her determination to improve the system for rape victims.

"When we heard the (Senate) committee was meeting, I immediately thought of her," Crothers said. "It was as if that hearing was tailor-made to what she does."

Weil says her work has given her a new purpose. In addition to her testimony before Congress, Weil has worked with prosecutors and law enforcement, offering tips on how they can more sensitively deal with victims.

As for herself, Weil says she doesn't see herself as a victim but as a survivor.

Her marriage survived the attack and eventually grew stronger. Although both her children suffered from the effects, they now go to school, have friends and participate in sports and other activities.

Weil says she still feels a twinge of fear every time she gets in her car. She says she doesn't think she'll ever forgive Siebert for what he did to her children more than what he did to her.

Though he's in prison for life, she says every once in a while she searches for his name of the state Department of Corrections website, just to make sure he's still locked away.

Reading the phrase "Sentenced to Life" seven times under his name still gives her the same sense of empowerment she feels whenever she speaks in public, the same sense she felt when she walked out of the courtroom after Siebert's sentencing.

"I wish I could frame that and hang it up next to my high school and college diplomas," Weil says of Siebert's sentence. "It was hard work. It was something I never thought I would make it through, but here I am, with a new purpose."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The SAFER Act

•The SAFER Act of 2010 (H.R. 6085) would create a national registry to track untested forensic evidence from sexual assault cases.
•Supporters say the Sexual Assault Forensic Evidence Registry would, for the first time, give policy-makers accurate data about the extent of the nation's backlog of unprocessed rape kits, including evidence in possession of local law enforcement, and lead to quicker elimination of the DNA backlog.
•They say it will also provide up-to-date information to victims and the public, and would establish best practices for the use of DNA evidence in rape cases.
•Status: Bill sponsored by U.S. Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y. Was referred to two House subcommittees on Sept. 20.

Rape statistics

•Including the number of unreported rapes, only one in every 16 rapists will ever spend a day in jail.
•A 2010 survey showed that 66 percent of rape crisis treatment centers had to reduce their prevention education and public awareness efforts because of funding losses.
•One in 6 women and 1 in 33 men in the United States have experienced either a rape or an attempted rape.
•Seventy-three percent of rape victims are acquainted with their attackers.
Sources: National Alliance to End Sexual Violence; Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network; Florida Council Against Sexual Violence
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/once-a-victim-of-miami-dades-day-care-990138.html?viewAsSinglePage=true
BillRM

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:46 am
@firefly,
Quote:
ehBeth, I told you that responding to BillRM with statistical information that contradicts his assertions of a 40% rate of false rape allegations was pointless. After responding to him for 200+ pages in this thread, I know, all too well, that he just disregards the information. But, to humor you, I reposted information that indicates that the false reporting rate for rapes seems to be about 8--10%.

http://www.theforensicexaminer.com/archive/spring09/15/

Very little formal research has been conducted on the prevalence of false allegations of rape. One study looked at the 109 cases of forcible rape that were disposed of in one small midwestern town between 1978 and 1987 (Kanin, 1994). The given town was specifically selected for study because the police department used a uniquely objective and thorough protocol when investigating rape complaints. Among other procedural safeguards, officers did not have the discretion to drop rape investigations if they concluded the complaint was "suspect" or unfounded. Every rape accusation had to be thoroughly investigated and included offering a polygraph to both the accuser and the accused. Cases were only determined to be false if and when the accuser admitted that no rape occurred.

The researchers further investigated those cases that the police, through their investigation, had ultimately determined were "false" or fabricated. During the follow-up investigation, the complainants held fast to their assertion that their rape allegation had been true, despite being told they would face penalties for filing a false report. As a result, 41% of all of the forcible rape complaints were found to be false. To further this study, a similar analysis was conducted on all of the forcible rape complaints filed at two large midwestern public universities over a 3-year period. Here, where polygraphs were not offered as part of the investigatory procedure, it was found that 50% of the complaints were false.

Charles P. McDowell, a researcher in the United States Air Force Special Studies Division, studied the 1,218 reports of rape that were made between 1980 and 1984 on Air Force bases throughout the world (McDowell, 1985). Of those, 460 were found to be "proven" allegations either because the "overwhelming preponderance of the evidence" strongly supported the allegation or because there was a conviction in the case. Another 212 of the total reports were found to be "disproved" as the alleged victim convincingly admitted the complaint was a "hoax" at some point during the initial investigation. The researchers then investigated the 546 remaining or "unresolved" rape allegations including having the accusers submit to a polygraph. Twenty-seven percent (27%) of these complainants admitted they had fabricated their accusation just before taking the polygraph or right after they failed the test. (It should be noted that whenever there was any doubt, the unresolved case was re-classified as a "proven" rape.) Combining this 27% with the initial 212 "disproved" cases, it was determined that approximately 45% of the total rape allegations were false.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 11:48 am
@snood,
More. More. W00t.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:03 pm
@firefly,
Oh Firefly I also find it highly amusing that the survey not a study you quoted complained that the studies showing a high false report rate was too small but somehow they missed the 1200 plus Airforce study for some strange reason!

A study that show a 25 percent rate of false reporting of rape.

Of course it is your side of the issue that came up by survey with the crazy number of one in four women rape in college.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:11 pm
I was wondering about some statements read here, so I found this:
http://www.crisisconnectioninc.org/sexualassault/college_campuses_and_rape.htm So, it backs firefly's assertion that 1 in 4 college women are raped, but I'm having a hard time reconciling that fact with these statements:
Of the college woman who are raped, only 25% describe it as rape.
Of the college women who are raped, only 10% report the rape.

Who gets to describe it as rape if not the victim...and how does anyone make a claim that only 10% of rapes are being reported? If someone has already covered this, just link the post. Thanks.
firefly

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:15 pm
This is the background on this situation...
Quote:
Cheerleader Required to Cheer for Man Who Assaulted Her
October 15, 2010
by Caroline Heldman

If someone assaulted you, would you want to then cheer for his performance on a basketball court? A 16-year-old Texas high school student sure didn’t.

High school football star Rakheem Bolton and two others were indicted for sexual assault of a child–identified only as H.S.–at a post-game party in 2008. According to H.S.–a fellow student and cheerleader at Silsbee High–Bolton, football player Christian Rountree and another juvenile male forced her into a room, locked the door, held her down and sexually assaulted her. When other party-goers tried to get into the room, two of the men fled through an open window, including Bolton, who left clothing behind. Bolton allegedly threatened to shoot the occupants of the house when the homeowner refused to return his clothes.

In September 2010, Bolton pled guilty to a lesser charge of Class A Assault and was sentenced to one year in prison, a sentence that was suspended by the judge in lieu of two years probation, a $2,500 fine, community service and an anger management course.

Silsbee school officials had two responses to the incident. First, they urged H.S. to keep a low profile, such as avoiding the school cafeteria and not taking part in homecoming activities. With the support of her family, she refused to do so, rejecting the notion that she had anything to be ashamed of. Secondly, school officials kicked her off the cheerleading squad for refusing to cheer for Bolton. No kidding.

Bolton had been allowed back on campus during a brief period when one grand jury withdrew the charges before another grand jury reinstated them. During a basketball game, H.S. cheered for the entire team but refused to cheer “Rakheem” during his free-throws, so she was off the squad.

http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2010/10/15/cheerleader-required-to-cheer-for-man-who-assaulted-her/

Quote:
High School Cheerleader Kicked Off Squad for Refusal to Cheer for Her Rapist
by Alex DiBranco October 18, 2010

.Rah, rah, sis boom bah: Silsbee High School in Texas wants their cheerleaders smiling, energetic, and willing to cheer for their rapists by name. Go team!

H.S., a Silsbee student, reported being raped in 2008 by Rakheem Bolton, a fellow student and athletic star, with the help of two of his friends. In the end, Bolton recently ended up getting off without serving any jail time by pleading guilty to a lesser assault charge, spending two years on probation, doing community service, paying a fine, and attending anger management courses. Hardly seems like an adequate punishment, but it's unfortunately not uncommon for attackers to bargain down their charges. What really gets the blood boiling is how the students' high school treated the victim when the rape charge was levied.

Bolton was set to be on the school's varsity basketball team, and they couldn't risk losing by barring him from playing for a silly thing like a rape charge. That could impact their chances at winning. Who cares about the traumatic impact it would have an a cheerleader who needed to vocally support a team including her rapist?

But H.S. fulfilled her role as a cheerleader, participating in all the cheers for the team as a group. She simply refused to shout the first name of the man who assaulted her when he stood up alone to make free throws. It seems like she was being more than accommodating, when an student athlete facing trial on rape charges most likely should have been suspended from the team, even if his presence wasn't a source of immediate distress to his victim in her position as cheerleader. In a display of extreme disrespect for a rape survivor and disregard for her well-being, school officials insisted that H.S. had to scream "Rakheem" with the rest of the cheerleaders, or she'd be kicked off the squad.

Not only that, Caroline Heldman reports on Ms. Magazine's blog that school officials pushed H.S. "to keep a low profile, such as avoiding the school cafeteria and not taking part in homecoming activities." As though she should somehow be ashamed for having been raped and brought charges against her attacker. Where exactly was she supposed to eat so as to not cause discomfort to the star athlete? H.S. also refused to take this offensive "advice."

H.S. sued her school district for removing her from the cheerleading squad. In an absurd court ruling, the 5th U.S. Circuit of Appeals decided to uphold the school's decision, claiming that a cheerleader was but a "mouthpiece" for a school to use to "disseminate speech — namely, support for its athletic teams." Her silence apparently "constituted substantial interference with the work of the school because, as a cheerleader, H.S. was at the basketball game for the purpose of cheering, a position she undertook voluntarily." Well, I'm sure H.S. never expected to be "volunteering" to cheer for someone who had assaulted her. And the idea that just being silent during Bolton's free throws, a barely noticeable act, was "substantial interference with the work of the school" — um, we're talking extracurricular sports, not classroom disruption — makes little sense.

Tell Silsbee officials that this is no way to treat rape victims, and insist that they publicly issue an apology to H.S. immediately. Furthermore, tell them to instate a policy outlining appropriate treatment of sexual assault survivors, which does not put the onus on the victim to ensure smooth interactions at the school.
http://womensrights.change.org/blog/view/high_school_cheerleader_kicked_off_squad_for_refusal_to_cheer_for_her_rapist

Do you think it was fair to kick this cheerleader off the squad for what she refused to do?

The above Web site has a petition to Tell Silsbee High School to Apologize for Their Treatment of a Rape Victim, and 10.110 people have already signed it. Anyone else who wishes to sign it can do so here.
http://womensrights.change.org/blog/view/high_school_cheerleader_kicked_off_squad_for_refusal_to_cheer_for_her_rapist

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:38 pm
@Lash,
The survey of so call rapes in college define rape where somewhere like 70 plus percents of the "victims" do not agree with the label and even perhaps more interesting over 40 percents have ongoing sexual relationships with the men that the survey had label as their rapists.

In other word the surveys created to get such silly numbers are nonsense.

Taking Yale as an example with it roughly yearly ten cases of reported assaults it would taken only 3 percent not ten percent being reported to get to the level of the silly surveys.

They claims a rape figure and then pound the facts to try to get there.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:47 pm
@Lash,
Domestic violence surveys are run in a similar manner the one just released for the UK consider any woman that in her whole life had been insulted or swear at by her partner to be a victim of abused.