California continues total Idiocy.

Thomas

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 01:27 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
I am, obviously, a philosophical anarchist;

If you are a philosophical anarchist, can I be a philosophical Californian and McCloskey-Republican? Please? You probably never heard of Pete McCloskey, but I just saw a PBS feature film dedicated to him. A true Californian, Pete McCloskey was a politician who built his political career on a serious of totally idiotic propositions. For example, he---
  • joined the Republican party in 1948 because the Democratic Party at the time was dominated by a bunch of vile racists.
  • in the early 1960s, started what he called "the least commercially successful law firm in history" because he thought environmental cases were important, and he wanted his law firm to specialize on it.
  • in the late 60s, ran for Congress---and won as a Republican---on an anti-Vietnam-war platform.
  • in the early 70s, demanded that Richard Nixon be impeached because he was a crook who trampled on the constitution.
  • In the mid 1970s, pushed through the Clean Air Act, the Endangered Species Act, and similar environmental legislation.
  • In the 1980s, helped sink Pat Robertson's run for the presidency because he thought the Religious Right was a stain on Republicans.
  • In the early 2000s, campaigned against The Jack Abramov/Tom DeLay network of corruption that was turning Republicans into Banana-Republicans.

All these initiatives were universally considered totally idiotic at the time McCloskey undertook him. I want to be an idiotic Californian like him. In fact, I may just join the Republican party---it needs more members like Pete McCloskey.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 01:32 pm
@CalamityJane,
(he loves his garden tomatoes...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 01:34 pm
@Thomas,
Oh, yes, I remember McCloskey, liked him a great deal.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 01:58 pm
One thing to consider is that San Francisco County is a long peninsula and there is no expansion room when the stray pet populations get out of hand. The overcrowded shelters are caught in the middle between PETA/no-euthanasia types, the health department, Propostion 13 types, and property owners.

When the shelters are full, county government has to step in and figure out a way to resolve the problem. That they decided to table the decision rather than take action toward resolving it has just as many negative connotations for their ability to govern.

Diane

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 04:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
Btrflynet, you just stated, very succinctly, what so many communities are going through.

This proposition is silly in so many ways and would probably be found to go against the Constitution. When a problem becomes this bad, it is understandble that grasping at straws starts to seem feasible. It isn't, but when there is so much suffering and needless death, the urgency can actually become self-destructive.

So far, I've not heard of any community coming up with a humane, workable decision.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 04:58 pm
"There aught to be a law!"

I cringe about 99% of the time I hear this.

I don't deny CA the right to live on a planet that is different from the rest of us if that's what they want...

but I do wish that every time someone thinks, "There aught to be a law!", someone else was responsible for the task of making them think through the consequences.

Thanks, dys.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 05:00 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
One thing to consider is that San Francisco County is a long peninsula and there is no expansion room when the stray pet populations get out of hand. The overcrowded shelters are caught in the middle between PETA/no-euthanasia types, the health department, Propostion 13 types, and property owners.

When the shelters are full, county government has to step in and figure out a way to resolve the problem. That they decided to table the decision rather than take action toward resolving it has just as many negative connotations for their ability to govern.

Build more luxurious shelters.
Reduce unemployment.

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:16 pm
@JPB,
Absolutely
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:43 pm
@JPB,
yeah, it's pretty obvious I hate dogs and cats. (and californians)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:52 pm
@dyslexia,
I'll just say two words, clam sauce.

On other news, Brooks didn't have canned baby clams today.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:00 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I'll just say two words, clam sauce.
How do u convince them to eat it?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Dys, to be serious -

I have many friends and communicate with them via email, but I live alone here in an interesting kind of isolation, in large part my own fault re money and marriage and real estate, ooh, and eye health.. I am probably super sensitive, but I take the years worth of jibes by you about californians, virtually all mocking, dys, harder than you might expect. It makes me feel lonely, very lonely. I have told this to you in person, more than a year ago.

But, you take me as thin skinned. So be it, I am.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 03:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Tell them it's Crab
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 03:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Oh, it's U again Can I have my StarShip know ?
I heard they are selling teh Atlantis for 22.10^6
How do I get it @ my place
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:09 pm
I'm trying to follow some of the logic expressed in this thread:

Shut down pet stores because most of the pets they sell end up in pet shelters.

Buy your pets from pet shelters.

If there are no pet stores, from where will the pet shelters get pets to sell?

Was this law supposed to have, somehow, reduced the overall demand for pets?

Are the people who buy from pet shelters less likely to abandon their pets than those who buy them from pet stores?

What about when there are no pet stores left? Will the act of buying a pet from a pet shelter make a pet owner more responsible than he or she would have been if the pet store was the source?

This must be the case since someone suggested even reputable breeders should not be able to run a pet store.

Are pet shelters in the Bay area located in particularly nasty areas, so that only families who seriously want a pet will buy one from them?
snood

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Are the people who buy from pet shelters less likely to abandon their pets than those who buy them from pet stores?

About this, my opinion is, yes - they would be less likely to abandon pets. I think there is a different mindset and motivation for people who think of pets as commodities or belongings than those who think of them as members of the family. And I think that people who go to shelters or humane societies and try to adopt those castaway animals tend to think of them more as family members than as property.

Just an opinion.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 11:37 pm
@snood,
Should your CV be cleared ?
Ill like too much...
BBQ
snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:19 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

Should your CV be cleared ?
Ill like too much...
BBQ

Are you just having fun being cryptic, or are you really this bungling at communication?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:23 am
@snood,
English is a second language for Pipijn, and besides that, he seems often stoned.
He's not a dummie, though, and is often playful. Not to speak for him..
snood

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:28 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

English is a second language for Pipijn, and besides that, he seems often stoned.
He's not a dummie, though, and is often playful. Not to speak for him..

No. Never that. Not you.