California continues total Idiocy.

roger

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 09:22 pm
@CalamityJane,
Indeed! California started the trend to legal right turns on red. There now, we've said something good about California laws!
Rockhead

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 09:32 pm
@roger,
and the stoplight camera.
roger

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 09:42 pm
@Rockhead,
Outlawed in New Mexico.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 09:43 pm
@roger,
we still have cattle crossings...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:27 pm
@georgeob1,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

As dumb as this rule is, when bagging on CA and the SF government, recall that they didn't pass this law.
It's no dumber than the dozens of laws which get proposed in each city, State and our Federal government
every single year.

I would also say that this plan, while perhaps not smart, doesn't approach the level of 'total idiocy.'

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1 wrote:
You are setting a higher standard there than the SF Board of Supervisors has ever attained.

I would agree that it isn't "total idiocy" ... after all they probably got the spelling right.
However it is not at all untypical of useless, unenforceable and, frankly stupid measured
the SF Board considers on a regular basis.
I 'm going to San Francisco in 2 months; no flowers in my hair.

David
georgeob1

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It's a great place; beautiful and blessed with variety and contrasts. If you hang around a while, you'll hear lots of jokes about the clowns in our city government.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:45 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
It's a great place; beautiful and blessed with variety and contrasts.
If you hang around a while, you'll hear lots of jokes about the clowns in our city government.
What r its best restaurants? especially French n Italian ?

I was only there once for a couple of day in the 1980s, on my way to Hong Kong. I remember a tour of Alcatraz.

David
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Go to the North Beach area for your Italian restaurants, I've been to several excellent ones there.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:22 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

As dumb as this rule is, when bagging on CA and the SF government, recall that they didn't pass this law. It's no dumber than the dozens of laws which get proposed in each city, State and our Federal government every single year.

I would also say that this plan, while perhaps not smart, doesn't approach the level of 'total idiocy.'

Cycloptichorn

You are setting a higher standard there than the SF Board of Supervisors has ever attained.

I would agree that it isn't "total idiocy" ... after all they probably got the spelling right. However it is not at all untypical of useless, unenforceable and, frankly stupid measured the SF Board considers on a regular basis.

Not just them, but all State and Federal governments as well. In situations where any member of a diverse group (such as a legislature) can propose legislation, you always see stupid laws proposed - every year. These laws are then considered by the legislature, and almost always rejected. This fact doesn't make them inherently stupid.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:23 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

absolutely true cyclo, it is no dumber so should I ignore it? I ran across it on a news article "dumb laws" and it stuck. I am really seriously against dumb laws wherever they occur (even New Mexico) but I post what is brought to my attention. But yes it does approach 'total idiocy" because it does nothing to resolve the presenting problem. that is 'total idiocy' from my point of view.

No, I think you were perfectly right to discuss it; it does sound like a rather stupid law. But I think that it would really only be 'California continuing total idiocy' if it passed.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
For Italian restaurants, Cyclo's advice was good - the North Beach area north of Columbus and Broadway. My favorite is the North Beach restaurant at the corner of Stocton & Columbus. If its Pizza you're after try Tomasso's off Broadway, or for something unique and unusual try Cafe Sport.

My favorite French bistro is Le Central on Bush Street.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:44 pm
@georgeob1,
Thank u both; I look forward to it.

David
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 01:34 am
Just to help everyone rest easy, the head of the Albuquerque FBI office said that he thought New Mexico was the most corrupt state in the US. Only one other FBI officer claimed that distinction for his state...Illinois.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 02:20 am
when i lived in CA. they actually are suppossed to stop driving for pedestrians, how many other states think of this law, or is it a law??. California is a trend setter, outlawing smoking in public places Evil or Very Mad I can't Drunk & smoke cigs..thanks CA. Now legalizing pot. Confused Every suggestion here has been a winner. I am for shutting down puppymills and pet stores that cage and sell puppies and kitties. Crying or Very sad They can keep selling fish though.
dis'spik'a-bl
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/Philis37/cartoon%20characters/untitled.jpg
maporsche

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:16 am
@CalamityJane,
What about fish stores, or the small mammal department at PetSmart, or the bird section.

Not all pet stores are puppy mills.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:32 am
I am, obviously, a philosophical anarchist; Philosophical anarchism is an anarchist school of thought which contends that the State lacks moral legitimacy and -in contrast to revolutionary anarchism- does not advocate violent revolution to eliminate it but advocate peaceful evolution to superate it. Though philosophical anarchism does not necessarily imply any action or desire for the elimination of the State, philosophical anarchists do not believe that they have an obligation or duty to obey the State, or conversely, that the State has a right to command.
philosophical anarchist Henry David Thoreau asserted
“'That government is best which governs not at all'; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have."
Thomas Jefferson is also sometimes seen as a philosophical anarchist, who said
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law', because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

I am, ultimately, a liberal, a social libertarian and a advocate of human/civil rights who opposes inaction of law which is not in the best interests of either the individual or the society, which does not solve/resolve problems clearly defined. Paint your door green and I will paint mine red. No laws are needed for door colours.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 08:39 am
If we took all the dogs and cats that were GOING TO BE UNFORTUNATELY EUTHANISED ANYWAY.... think of the poor people in Asia they would feed. I'm just sayin'.....waste not want not.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 08:42 am
@Philis,
Philis wrote:

I am for shutting down puppymills and pet stores that cage and sell puppies and kitties. Crying or Very sad They can keep selling fish though.
dis'spik'a-bl

Free the Fish!!!

No one is walking them, either!!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:31 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

What about fish stores, or the small mammal department at PetSmart, or the bird section.

Not all pet stores are puppy mills.

Yes maporsche, my local pet shop offers fish, birds and some exotic creatures,
there hasn't been a problem at all. Except for the rabbits the kids get for Easter
and get rid off by summer - so our pet shop stopped selling rabbits as well.

If people were more conscientious and take responsibility for the animals they bought impulsively, there wouldn't be a necessity to outlaw puppy pet shops, however, reality portrays a different picture and since animals cannot fend
for themselves, someone has to protect them.

I do get the notion: government interfering with the freedom of its people,
but that freedom went down the drain a long, long time ago.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 01:25 pm
@dyslexia,
No, I didn't try to find the source of your quote - you didn't give a link, you know - and thus did not read the whole article.
0 Replies