Expressions that Date You

cavfancier

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 11:00 am
I dunno about daddio, clearly Phoenix does, but I do remember Morgan Freeman as 'Easy Reader' on The Electric Company.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:30 pm
Some slang probably did not reach a national usage.
Red Blanchard, who broadcast out of the Cow Palace in San Francisco in the 50s, called cool things "real George" and he also used "zorch" a lot. I am not certain what zorch meant.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:46 pm
I'm thinking that "daddio" is somehow related to jazz (which is an interesting word in its own right).
Wierdly, I saw an an ad this pm on CNBC peddling franchises for a new pizza chain (just what we need) called Daddio's. -rjb
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:48 pm
Phoenix said....

Quote:
ehBeth- My mom is 94!

Hmmmm. I had figured you to be in your twenties. If I'm doing my math correctly and your mom is 94.... that means you are in your thirties!

Holy Crap, Phoenix! You're gaining on me!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:50 pm
Gus- 39- Like Jack Benny! Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:53 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 07:45 pm
Vic Morrow in "Blackboard Jungle" was pretty damned scary.
Didn't his character rape a teacher in that movie? Shocked
Very, very radical for it's time.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 11:32 am
Online etymology dictionary sez:

Quote:
dad - recorded from 1500, but probably much older, from child's speech, nearly universal and probably prehistoric (cf. Welsh tad, Ir. daid, Czech, L., Gk. tata, Lith. tete, Skt. tatah all of the same meaning). Daddylonglegs is from 1814; daddy-o is first recorded 1949, from bop talk.

So the book/movie picked up daddio from the streets, but it was a fairly new term then. It probably wasn't widespread, only among the "boppers," so I think we can assume that the movie brought it into the mainstream...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 11:43 am
Wy- Interesting! Very Happy
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 11:59 am
Yeah... you learn something new every day Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 11:18 pm
Where did 'my bad' come from?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:26 am
I dono, but I wish it would go back.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:53 am
Some phrases recycle through the years. People alive in a certain decade (okay, the 60's) might remember describing good things as "outa sight".

The phrase occurs matter-of-factly in Frank Norris' McTeague, published originally in 1899:

Quote:
"What do you say we take a walk, huh?" said Marcus. "Ah, that's the thing--a walk, a long walk, by damn! It'll be outa sight. I got to take three or four of the dogs out for exercise, anyhow. Old Grannis thinks they need ut. We'll walk out to the Presidio."

I presume we can look forward some day to the return of "groovy" as well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 12:38 pm
That's a gas, Greyfan
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 01:14 pm
I always liked saying the cats meow but I think I'm a couple of decades behind the times.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 01:16 pm
Yeah, that belongs with "the bee's knees."
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 01:23 pm
I like that one too.
I love cliches, they had some real doozies in the thirties.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 08:48 pm
My children roll their eyes if I say to them
"S'up?" They don't want me in their
world.
0 Replies

innie

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:37 am
I love it when people say stuff that used to be popular, like "delightful" and "far out". I'm not really old enough to have words that would date me... but it really fascinates me when other pepole say sayings from other decades.
it seems fresh, I get sick of hearing the same stuff, like, the teens today all say "frickin A!" "frickin awesome!" "talk to the hand" "out of control" "for real" "sup?" "whatever" "im out" "cool" it used to be popular to put "ness" on the ends of words, like "coolNESS" or "awesomeNESS" but you get teased if you do that now.
0 Replies