Expressions that Date You

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 08:36 pm
One of the wonders of A2K is that there is communication amongst people of a broad spectrum of ages. Reading the posts, I realized that there is a difference in the way people express themselves, according to their stage in life.

Take "My bad". When I first saw that phrase, I did not have the foggiest idea of what it meant. After awhile, and when I saw the phrase a few more times, I realized that, in attempting to convey the same message, I would have said, "I screwed up", or "I messed up".

Even though I was still quite young in the 60's, I am uncomfortable about using the word "cool", to express approval. As a child of the 50's, I will use the word "fantastic" or "fabulous", which were the overused expressions of delight in that era.

Do you have any expressions or words that you use that date you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,611 • Replies: 118
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 08:54 pm
I've always tried to communicate in the current lexicon. For example, if I was in Berkley in the early sixties, I would've said something like, "Peace be with you brother" or "Groovy" and sometimes, in an adventurous mood, I might toss out "Hey, baby! Is your mojo workin?"

But now, in the later stages of my life, I find myself yelling at the youngsters as they drive by my house in their hot rods.

I scream stuff like, "Dang nab it! Slow down you young whippersnappers!"

I don't know.... am I being too harsh?

Am I getting old?

Dang nab it! I hope not.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 08:55 pm
"Totally" and "awesome", especially in conjunction, totally date me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 09:15 pm
I love this topic.
Few old folks can hear the phrase, "Open the door" without adding, "Richard."
In the main, I employ old hillbilly phrases instead of any period's slang. Guess I watched too many Judy Canova and Ma and Pa Kettle films when very young.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 09:23 pm
I can dig it!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 09:51 pm
3,2, 1 shoot--instead of FIRE IN THE HOLE

we need to do some concept engineering -- we have no idea what were doing here

UXO-- we have a charge that didnt go off right

hi--ssupp

gimme a tall dark half caff-I want a cup of coffee
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:02 pm
My mother used to say, "that's darling". I say "that's darling", perhaps if I'm too tired to edit myself. It was old when I first heard it, predated fantastic and fabulous I think. Oh well.

I remember a boss saying, "I'm hip" and thinking, no, you mean "hep". Well, he was.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 02:11 am
The strangest expression that I've ever heard is, 'that's as bad as two ducks and a dream.' My grandfather always used to say that, and it always confused me as to where it derived from; I was too young to ask.

'How did your horse fare, Grandad?'
'It went as bad as two ducks and a dream, cricket.'

Contemptuous soubriquet that I hear a lot at the moment is 'major league a*shole' and 'plastic-ass-man.' Laughing

I've wondered about expressions too, it's a very interesting minefield; I don't think it's down to age, but rather down to character. I use rather antiquated English, with all the rules left in, and I sometimes make up figures of speech and proverbs when I can't think of anything else... but no, I don't really use 'cool' that often, I tend to use 'fantastic' or 'great.'
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 06:05 am
In fits of pique I tend to yell out things like "S'blood" and "S'wounds". I guess that dates me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 06:21 am
In the old days, "gay" meant merry. If I used it now, in that context, I would be totally misunderstood. Years ago, I saw an article describing a benefit that was being offered to native Americans. I read on, figuring that it might apply to me. After all, I WAS born in the US!

And what ever happened to "necking", "petting", "making out", and "going all the way"? I think that those terms convey the meaning as well as the ones that are used now, and are not offensive, IMO, in the least.

Gus- You are "right on" about those whippersnappers! Laughing
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 06:21 am
My Grandfather used to say "ha ha she cried as she waved her wooden leg".

I never knew where it came from or what it meant.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 06:59 am
In the 70s, in a conversation about the song Good Golly Miss Molly, a girl asked me if "sure likes to ball" meant the same thing in the 50s it did in the 70s. In the 50s balling meant partying. In the 70s it meant the act of sex.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:03 am
edgarblythe- As I remember it, "have a ball" meant have a good time!

When I was a kid, money was "dough". Later the term was, "bread" (Interesting connection) I don't even know what the kids say now!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:06 am
"party" - "have a good time" - Close enough; probably depended on which group one ran with.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:32 am
far out
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:35 am
bling bling?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:41 am
Quote:
bling bling?

cav- I had to look that up! Confused
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:43 am
"Yeah man, what's happening?"
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:48 am
The fist time I heard "my bad" my son said it and I had to ask him what it meant.

I still say cool, awesome and fantastic.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 07:49 am
"A-pricking on the plaine"....does Phoenix remember that one? Laughing Actually, in our family, we say "put out the lights" as opposed to "turn off the lights". I can only assume this phrase relates to kerosene lamps.
0 Replies