The Crusades

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 11:05 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;65038 wrote:

Because we (members of this forum) largely agree that what the Muslims did was wrong, that is why I didn't talk about it.

Quote:

Yes, Muslims invaded and occupied Christian lands, stopped allowing Christians to pilgrimage there ect. Christians made the attempt to take back their lands, succeeded once but the lands were retaken. After that it was a cultural/religious war still about taking back their lands and eliminating the enemy. All of this was self-defense.

Even attempted invasions into lands that were never christian. Even slaughter of women and children that were no threat to Christendom?

Quote:
It is terribly ignorant to attempt to understand this using hind sight. Not a single modern historian does that in any respect.

As far as their motivations, yes. But a good historian is unbiased. I don't know of too many historians that thought the slaughter of women and children was moral because that's what they believed. Hindsight is 20/20 my friend.

Quote:

I understand their motivations, but I am under no obligation to agree with them.

Quote:

:rollinglaugh:

Probably because i've never proposed moral absolutism.

Quote:

You responded to me when I said it wasn't self-defense.

Probably because those 3 got their source from Wikipedia, which is where I got it as well. Regardless, my post #27 was not OUR discussion it was between myself and volunteer, this was before you even joined the forum. So you are absolutely incorrect in your accusation.

Quote:

And the length of my response has what bearing on it's validity? Try and keep up.

Quote:

What a pathetic retort. You assert that I should believe it because they did? On what basis? Such thinking is the sign of a weak mind incapable of thinking for itself.

Quote:
One must think you are physically incapable of doing more at this point.

Don't be coy.

Quote:

Excuse me? Bury you head in the sand, but it's not my fault that you don't want to attempt to refute my counter-arguments. Go ahead play the ignorance card.

Quote:

Your a hoot!

Your asking me to provide evidence for an unfalsifiable position? Especially when you have the burden of proof. You say it was self-defense you defend your position and no "they thought this and that....." is not a valid argument

Quote:

I understand it plenty, I just disagree. That's the trap ego-centric people like you fall into. You assume that because I disagree with your view then I must not understand the issue. Pathetic.

Quote:

You've actually done more to claim I don't have an argument than you have to actually refute what I've said.

Quote:
I remember when I had my first beer.

That's nice.

Quote:

Should I repeat myself out of your whims?

Quote:

Wow, nothing to tear your argument apart faster than unfounded assumptions. I don't believe in moral absolutism. You simply ASSUME i do simply because I disagree with your position.
0 Replies

Grouch

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 05:20 pm
@marcus cv,
I can reply to all of your post later, but why when you freely admit you are a Classical Utilitarian (you can't be an Rule Utilitarian because then you would still be an absolutist of sorts). Which by default means that any action (lying, stealing, killing) out of context do not have moral value. It is ONLY the outcome of said actions that give them a positive or negative moral value. You're a moral relativist plain and simple.

Not only that, but you just said that morality is dictated by survival. That moral actions befit the survival of those committing said action. The Crusades were all about the survival Christiandom.

Now I'm sure you'll come back with some lame and repetitive retort about it doesn't matter what they thought was happening. But since you, I nor they could judge the present with the same ability we can judge threats in hind sight, it does matter if you want to be intellectually honest.

Wow I've never seen such a long post end if fail so easily. Did you really think that through at all before you hit the submit button?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 11:04 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;65054 wrote:
I can reply to all of your post later, but why when you freely admit you are a Classical Utilitarian (you can't be an Rule Utilitarian because then you would still be an absolutist of sorts). Which by default means that any action (lying, stealing, killing) out of context do not have moral value. It is ONLY the outcome of said actions that give them a positive or negative moral value.

You are right, the moral value of something is determined by it's outcome. So what does this mean? It means we do not truly know if an action is immoral until we complete that action, so one who is incapable of assessing the consequences of their actions (like a baby, other animals, and inanimate objects) cannot be immoral. Yet we who posses some intellect can predict the outcome and thus know beforehand whether our actions will be moral or immoral within an appreciable degree of accuracy.

However please note that there is a difference between misjudging an outcome of an action, and misjudging the harm caused by an outcome. That said there is a difference between doing something wrong that you believe is right and between something bad happening from an action that you could've never known would happen.

Quote:
You're a moral relativist plain and simple.

Moral relativism is the view that the truth of ethical claims is relative to the culture or way of life of those who hold them. I do not believe this and thus I am not a moral relativist.

Quote:

Not only that, but you just said that morality is dictated by survival. That moral actions befit the survival of those committing said action.

Not necessarily.

Quote:
The Crusades were all about the survival Christiandom.

That was their excuse for doing what they did, but it was more than mere survival.

Quote:
Now I'm sure you'll come back with some lame and repetitive retort about it doesn't matter what they thought was happening. But since you, I nor they could judge the present with the same ability we can judge threats in hind sight, it does matter if you want to be intellectually honest.

They knew exactly what they were doing. they did things with the intention of harming the harmless.

Quote:
Wow I've never seen such a long post end if fail so easily. Did you really think that through at all before you hit the submit button?

And you are entitled to believe that. However I must disagree.
0 Replies

Grouch

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 09:19 am
@marcus cv,
So I'd like to revisit this.

FF you say you are a Utilitarian right? Act or Rule?

If you are an Act then you are in fact a moral relativist. Because then its the results of the actions that determine if its a morally good or bad act. Yet the act out of context hold no moral value.

If you are a Rule, then you make rules that have a general positive outcome for the society that collectively agrees to follow them. Correct? Yet do to there being exceptions to the rule, new rules are made, allowing for the same act to in one case be legal, and in another care illegal (ie. Murder is illegal, but there exists justifiable homicide in self-defense, or as a punishment).

Regardless of which version of Utilitarianism you pick, it comes down to the fact that actions out of context hold no inherent moral value, it is only the context in which the action is taken that give it moral value. Thus morals are relative.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 10:54 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;65428 wrote:
So I'd like to revisit this.

FF you say you are a Utilitarian right? Act or Rule?

If you are an Act then you are in fact a moral relativist. Because then its the results of the actions that determine if its a morally good or bad act. Yet the act out of context hold no moral value.

If you are a Rule, then you make rules that have a general positive outcome for the society that collectively agrees to follow them. Correct? Yet do to there being exceptions to the rule, new rules are made, allowing for the same act to in one case be legal, and in another care illegal (ie. Murder is illegal, but there exists justifiable homicide in self-defense, or as a punishment).

Regardless of which version of Utilitarianism you pick, it comes down to the fact that actions out of context hold no inherent moral value, it is only the context in which the action is taken that give it moral value. Thus morals are relative.

Moral relativity has a specific definition, merely believing that morals are not absolute is not enough to qualify one as a moral relativist. Moral relativism specifies that morals are relative TO THE CULTURE THAT HOLDS THEM. This part in all caps is the important part and it is what separates myself from moral relativism.
Grouch

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 11:14 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;65437 wrote:
Moral relativity has a specific definition, merely believing that morals are not absolute is not enough to qualify one as a moral relativist. Moral relativism specifies that morals are relative TO THE CULTURE THAT HOLDS THEM. This part in all caps is the important part and it is what separates myself from moral relativism.

So you accept that actions out side of context have no moral value. And that the same action in different contexts can have opposite moral values correct?

We have also already established that there are a significant number of "moral choices" that have had their positive or negative value change over time and between cultures.

There is no escaping the truth of moral relativism.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 11:27 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;65440 wrote:
So you accept that actions out side of context have no moral value. And that the same action in different contexts can have opposite moral values correct?

Yes. However I will add that these "contexts" are circumstance specific NOT culture specific.

Quote:
We have also already established that there are a significant number of "moral choices" that have had their positive or negative value change over time and between cultures.

No we have not. You tried to establish that...but failed miserably.

Quote:
There is no escaping the truth of moral relativism.

Since it's an unfalsifiable position....you shouldn't presume there is a truth to escape in the first place.

GROUCH FAILED ATTEMPT x2
Grouch

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 03:28 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;65441 wrote:
Yes. However I will add that these "contexts" are circumstance specific NOT culture specific.

No we have not. You tried to establish that...but failed miserably.
Since it's an unfalsifiable position....you shouldn't presume there is a truth to escape in the first place.

GROUCH FAILED ATTEMPT x2
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 04:25 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;65445 wrote:
Excellent, morality is changing and situational based. How can a culture not be a different circumstance?

Culture itself is not a circumstance, culture may affect circumstances.

Quote:

I could say the same about you. Bald assertions will get you no where.

Quote:

Slavery (18th century America and Europe vs post 1860), abortion (pre and post Roe V. Wade), death penalty, genocide (Relgious Wars, commands from the Bible and Koran) homosexuality (Biblical teaching vs. accepted Greek and Roman male bonding); even rape and incest.

Hmmm all moral issues that based on what culture (or sub culture or time frame) you are a part of posses different and changing moral values.

Again bald assertions will get you no where. There is no debating that different cultures have differing views of ethics however there is ABSOLUTELY no evidence that it becomes true simply because we believe it so, in fact there is a plethora of instances that show that belief has no correlation with what is actually true.

Quote:

Hitting a defenseless person, is not wrong because we believe it is wrong, but because you are causing harm upon another. Your moral code is completely arbitrary and for this reason it is -- useless!

Quote:
Since it is proved through near countless examples of cultural change, it would seem that you are continuing the trend of intellectual cowardice. Morality changes, it changes through time, through location, through culture, through events.

Nope. more bald assertions.

views of morality =/= actual morality

Just because someone thinks something is right, doesn't make it so. Views of morality change, but views of morality are not the same thing as actual morality. We do not live in a fantasy land, what we believe is not true simply because we believe it is. I can give you an abundant number of examples of things that people believe that are not true, so why don't you go ahead and explain to me why morality would be the exception to this?

GROUCH FAIL ATTEMPT x3

Your fighting a losing battle grouch, even I can see this.
Grouch

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 02:08 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;65454 wrote:
I could say the same about you. Bald assertions will get you no where.
Again bald assertions will get you no where. There is no debating that different cultures have differing views of ethics however there is ABSOLUTELY no evidence that it becomes true simply because we believe it so, in fact there is a plethora of instances that show that belief has no correlation with what is actually true.
Hitting a defenseless person, is not wrong because we believe it is wrong, but because you are causing harm upon another. Your moral code is completely arbitrary and for this reason it is -- useless!

Nope. more bald assertions.

Then please, I implore you, provide an argument that would correct me.

views of morality =/= actual morality
Just because someone thinks something is right, doesn't make it so. Views of morality change, but views of morality are not the same thing as actual morality.
We do not live in a fantasy land, what we believe is not true simply because we believe it is. I can give you an abundant number of examples of things that people believe that are not true, so why don't you go ahead and explain to me why morality would be the exception to this?

GROUCH FAIL ATTEMPT x3
Your fighting a losing battle grouch, even I can see this.
ThoughtCriminal

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 05:28 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,

I don't think I have a lot to add here except agreement. Cultural relativism basically claims that there is no such thing as morality except for what a culture says, and therefore there is no independent basis upon which to judge those claims. Various forms of consequentialism offer precisely this basis. In short, this debate ended a while ago.

TC
Grouch

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 08:15 am
@ThoughtCriminal,
ThoughtCriminal;65486 wrote:
I don't think I have a lot to add here except agreement. Cultural relativism basically claims that there is no such thing as morality except for what a culture says, and therefore there is no independent basis upon which to judge those claims. Various forms of consequentialism offer precisely this basis. In short, this debate ended a while ago.

TC

What you quoted in agreement and what you state are two different things.

In general, Consequentialism (which Utilitarianism is a branch of) agrees with the statement that actions outside of context (and consequence) have no moral value. Its the context and outcome which give them a moral value.

To who, and what are you agreeing too?
ThoughtCriminal

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 08:26 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;65498 wrote:
What you quoted in agreement and what you state are two different things.

In general, Consequentialism (which Utilitarianism is a branch of) agrees with the statement that actions outside of context (and consequence) have no moral value. Its the context and outcome which give them a moral value.

To who, and what are you agreeing too?

What has value are consequences, and the consequences of an action depend to some extent on the context. For example, shouting "Fire!" might have no consequence if I do it in my car as I'm driving, while having entirely different ones in a theater or when commanding troups. The other thing context does is limit our options, so an undesirable consequence might be entirely avoidable in one case but the lesser of evils in another.

Now, what this has to do with cultural relativism, I don't know. Cultural relativism just says that morality is whatever a particular culture decides. This is not the same thing as consequentialism, and is largely incompatible.

Does that clarify my stance?

TC
Grouch

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 08:36 am
@ThoughtCriminal,
ThoughtCriminal;65499 wrote:
What has value are consequences, and the consequences of an action depend to some extent on the context. For example, shouting "Fire!" might have no consequence if I do it in my car as I'm driving, while having entirely different ones in a theater or when commanding troups. The other thing context does is limit our options, so an undesirable consequence might be entirely avoidable in one case but the lesser of evils in another.

Now, what this has to do with cultural relativism, I don't know. Cultural relativism just says that morality is whatever a particular culture decides. This is not the same thing as consequentialism, and is largely incompatible.

Does that clarify my stance?

TC

Cultural Relativism and Utilitarianism (Utilitarianism being a branch of Consequentialism) go hand in hand. They are not the same, but they can work together and are hardly incompatible.

Cultural Relativism decides what is Good, Utilitarianism provides the method and framework for archiving the most of it.
ThoughtCriminal

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 08:41 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;65501 wrote:
Cultural Relativism and Utilitarianism (Utilitarianism being a branch of Consequentialism) go hand in hand. They are not the same, but they can work together and are hardly incompatible.

Cultural Relativism decides what is Good, Utilitarianism provides the method and framework for archiving the most of it.

You are mistaken. Cultural relativism denies the existence of a transcultural basis for morality, which is precisely what consequentialism provides.

TC
Grouch

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 08:49 am
@ThoughtCriminal,
ThoughtCriminal;65502 wrote:
You are mistaken. Cultural relativism denies the existence of a transcultural basis for morality, which is precisely what consequentialism provides.

TC

uh no...

Consequentialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Consequentialism refers to those moral theories which hold that the consequences of a particular action form the basis for any valid moral judgment about that action (but see rule consequentialism). Thus, from a consequentialist standpoint, a morally right action is one that produces a good outcome, or consequence.

That's the extent of basic Consequentialism.

Using Cultural Relativism, the culture makes its own determinations on what is valued as Good.

There is nothing over arching or unifying about it. Consequentialism and all its variations are little more than equations used to reach a positive moral action or judgment. It does nothing to establish a unified Good or Bad, culture does that.

If you disagree provide an example next time.
ThoughtCriminal

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 09:04 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;65505 wrote:
uh no...

Consequentialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Consequentialism refers to those moral theories which hold that the consequences of a particular action form the basis for any valid moral judgment about that action (but see rule consequentialism). Thus, from a consequentialist standpoint, a morally right action is one that produces a good outcome, or consequence.

That's the extent of basic Consequentialism.

Using Cultural Relativism, the culture makes its own determinations on what is valued as Good.

There is nothing over arching or unifying about it. Consequentialism and all its variations are little more than equations used to reach a positive moral action or judgment. It does nothing to establish a unified Good or Bad, culture does that.

If you disagree provide an example next time.

Consequentialism, as such, is neutral about how we should rate one consequence above another. Traditional formulations involve things like happiness, fulfillment, and so on, none of which are more than incidentally linked to culture.

Whether culture D thinks a particular consequence is desirable or not grants it no special authority, not even over members of its own culture. It's just another opinion that has to be evaluated according to its merits, if any.

The distinction between act and rule consequentialism is artificial. They're the same thing, applied to two different questions: What should I personally do? What social policy should we set?

Cultural relativism says nothing about consequences and does not need to be consequentialist in any way. In fact, a culture's code of ethics is more typically stated in deontological terms and can be quite apathetic about the context of decisions.

The very best you can argue for is that there can be trivial overlap between an artificial form of consequentialism and an artificial form of cultural relativism. So what?

TC
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 09:34 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;65482 wrote:

No, you can have the same circumstance or situation in two completely different cultures.

EX: You are poor in a culture that considers you worthless --or-- you are poor in a culture that considers you a paragon. In both instances you are poor but the culture only affects that circumstance it does not define it.

Quote:

And your only response has been "is so!"

I have given examples as well, even though you will only deny this. The difference is that my examples support my case your examples do not.

Quote:

Attacking an argument instead of refuting it....this is all to common with you.

Quote:

Truth of what?

Quote:

That went completely over your head. The point was WHY hitting a defenseless person is immoral. Moral truths are not reached on consensus. No truths are reached upon consensus, so why would morality be any different?

Quote:

Then please, I implore you, provide an argument that would correct me.

Argument from ignorance.

Something isn't true simply because you are unaware of alternative explanations.

Quote:

Once again. truth of what?

Quote:

Address what I have said.

Quote:

This is a sentence fragment. ^

Perhaps you want to finish this thought so I can respond to it!?

Quote:

Which word did I spell incorrectly?

I have spell-checker so have fun finding a misspelled word. :thumbup:
0 Replies

Grouch

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:55 am
@marcus cv,
Fatal_Freedoms;65511 wrote:
No, you can have the same circumstance or situation in two completely different cultures.

Sure and yet Culture is still part of any individuals circumstance or life situation. However, if I were to grant you your claim, you’ll be forced to concede that different cultures can have equally legitimate but vastly different responses to these circumstances and situations.

Again further proof that actions don’t have an innate moral value.

And your only response has been "is so!"

Try again my friend. I’ve given you a dozen + examples of morally divisive topics, each one with a situation or culture that understands its moral value differently.

I have given examples as well, even though you will only deny this. The difference is that my examples support my case your examples do not.

You’re a bullshit liar. You’ve given none, and you’re a coward who wont even attempt to intelligently argue against what you are confronted with.

Attacking an argument instead of refuting it....this is all to common with you.

I’ve refuted it a dozen times… Remember this? Its from a few posts ago. You ignored it last time, you refuse to argue against them. So again, all you do is attack the argument, you’ve never made an intelligent effort in refuting it.

Slavery (18th century America and Europe vs post 1860), abortion (pre and post Roe V. Wade), death penalty, genocide (Relgious Wars, commands from the Bible and Koran) homosexuality (Biblical teaching vs. accepted Greek and Roman male bonding); even rape and incest.

Hmmm all moral issues that based on what culture (or sub culture or time frame) you are a part of posses different and changing moral values.

Now last time I made this claim you side stepped it saying that you are a Utilitarian. And as we agree, utilitarians don’t believe in a rigid morality but a changing one.

Truth of what?

Try to keep up, the same thing I’ve been asking you to prove. That there exists any action, that possess an inherent moral value. That no matter what context it happens in it is always wrong or bad.

That’s the opposite of what I’m arguing. I’ve posted examples over and over again that support the existence of Moral Relativism. You failed horribly in establishing anything that would dismiss it. Then you floundered in to the claim that you’re a Utilitarian. Awesome! You support a form of Moral Relativism.

That went completely over your head. The point was WHY hitting a defenseless person is immoral. Moral truths are not reached on consensus. No truths are reached upon consensus, so why would morality be any different?

So there is no moral truth? Yes or No? It is impossible to follow any form of Objective Morality without a higher power. Since you have exclude morality coming from a higher power, by default all that is left is one of the various forums of Moral Relativism.

You’ve said multiple times that Morality doesn’t change, if it can’t change there must then exist an identifiable objective morality that comes from somewhere. What is it and where does it come from? Respond to this or don’t bother wasting the bandwidth.

Argument from ignorance.

Something isn't true simply because you are unaware of alternative explanations.

Again, the best you can come up with is “NO ITS NOT!!!”. See if you were capable of making an intelligent and viable counter argument, this would have been a good place to do it. But you didn’t, because you can’t.

Once again. truth of what?

Follow along little puppy dog…

That there exists any action, that possess an inherent moral value. That no matter what context it happens in it is always wrong or bad.

Address what I have said.

I did, it is impossible to say that morality is a constant without the preexistence of a higher power. If you wish to maintain views (nearly verbatim of what you have already said) that of morality (changing) and actual morality (never changes). Now establish what this actual never changing morality is, where does it come from, what does it govern, why can’t it change, if you violated it and a better in every way outcome results from it, was your action still morally wrong?

Say something for once, establish an argument.

This is a sentence fragment. ^

Perhaps you want to finish this thought so I can respond to it!?

The thought is complete, you asked me a question, and I replied with the current failed efforts you’ve put into this argument.

Which word did I spell incorrectly?

I have spell-checker so have fun finding a misspelled word. :thumbup:

You meant to use You’re, misspelled it by using the wrong form of the word.

Maybe you should pay a bit more attention or turn on your grammar check too.
Grouch

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:09 am
@ThoughtCriminal,
ThoughtCriminal;65508 wrote:
Consequentialism, as such, is neutral about how we should rate one consequence above another.

No it is not. That is completely false. Consequentialim states that the outcome that producing the most good is the moral one.

Traditional formulations involve things like happiness, fulfillment, and so on, none of which are more than incidentally linked to culture.

Happiness and fulfillment are just biological responses to stimulus. The actions that bring happiness and fulfillment are linked to culture.

Whether culture D thinks a particular consequence is desirable or not grants it no special authority, not even over members of its own culture. It's just another opinion that has to be evaluated according to its merits, if any.

The distinction between act and rule consequentialism is artificial. They're the same thing, applied to two different questions: What should I personally do? What social policy should we set?
Cultural relativism says nothing about consequences and does not need to be consequentialist in any way. In fact, a culture's code of ethics is more typically stated in deontological terms and can be quite apathetic about the context of decisions.
0 Replies